Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
IA, video, waste of time to mess with anything else.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This is how it started out with that CHP wonder-cop in the early 80's.. pulling over attractive single women to chat them up, eventually ended up killing one of them

Yeah, I am absolutely CERTAIN that is the case here!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Lawyer up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I understand how you feel about messing with a guy's life, but the fix has to start somewhere and you sound like the type of person(maybe with some pull) that is cut out to help make this place a better world, one tiny step at a time.
Maybe the guy just had a bad day, but maybe he is a complete tool that has prior complaints and just needs to be fired. You should be able to figure this out before pursuing any actions.
Sometimes I feel like I am the only one in my town who will stand up and call it like it is when an ego gets out of control. I don't give a shit what people think about me, if you work in public service, and are a tool, fuck-up or other, I will not hesitate to organize people to bring attention to the matter.
I have zero aspirations to politics, but recently got elected to a  local board to help right percieved wrongs.
Find out what you can, and do what feels right in your heart.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the ducats! Lawyer up as of yesterday and fucking sue.  If I didn't have 2 more years & the Bar to go I'd be beating a path down to your door.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This is how it started out with that CHP wonder-cop in the early 80's.. pulling over attractive single women to chat them up, eventually ended up killing one of them

Craig Peyer. He lost his bid for parole, BTW.

What a fucking head case.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Welcome back.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#9]
So do you think the wife copped an attitude after the first stop and made the situation worse?  I'd like to hear the officer's side of this one.........including what your wife said to him ( in his words, not hers).
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#10]
didnt know there were real cops in VT!

just kidding!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:55:14 AM EDT
[#12]
IBTL
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:31:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I talked to his LT on the phone, and got bumped down to a sargent who is going to call me back.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:06:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I am absolutely CERTAIN that is the case here!

Don't break your neck jumping to conclusions like that

I personally got a strong whiff of BS from the OP, and I'm a fan of LE.. the story just brought that tidbit to mind.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:10:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:40:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I talked to his LT on the phone, and got bumped down to a sargent who is going to call me back.  

Time to lawyer up and start raising hell.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:24:36 AM EDT
[#17]
tag for outcome.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Tag.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:37:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Did he get her on radar or was he pacing her?  You need more than 100 yards to pace, usually at least 300 yards.  Heard her squeal her tires and yet took 1/4 mile to stop her?  As for the frisking, if she was wearing a spandex workout type outfit, I probably wouldn't have bothered.  Frisking is for officer safety and he must of been really in fear of his safety from the alledged tire squealing.  Find out if he called in all of these stops on the radio too.  And find out if he has a dashcam.  I would definitely file a complaint with Internal Affairs.  Screw talking with his immediate supervisors.  Go straight to Internal Affairs.  Chances are this isn't the first time.  Keep us updated.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:57:43 AM EDT
[#20]
If it happened as your wife reported, file a formal complaint instead of letting a supervisor handle it informally.  Get the complaint in his personnel jacket.  Frisking a woman wearing spandex for weapons??  

On the other hand, if it happened like the guy I pulled over and warned for speeding & weaving, who then peeled out and sped away even faster after the initial traffic stop was over...  well, actions have consequences and he ended up with citations that he could have completely avoided.  And his complaint went nowhere.  Too bad, so sad.

+1 on the dashcam, if there is one.  Remember, folks, that your tax dollars pay for this stuff.  Every time you complain about how much $$ the city/county government costs, and try to cut expenses, it's stuff like LE equipment that gets axed.  Hopefully the agency has them--it'll spell out the story.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:17:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Unless he was giving off a really creepy rapist/serial-killer vibe (your wife would know) I would not file a formal complaint. You could wreck his career over what might be a brain fart/bad day situation. His behavior is unacceptable, but I think you have the right idea going through his chain of command rather than Internal.

If he is a creep of some sort, a chain of command complaint will protect the public interest because the Lt (or whoever) will never forget the complaint. Remember, for all the bad things I say about some cops some times, they are people, and they have bad days. Some of them are young and stupid, but may grow out of it and become very valuable assets to society. I think you have the right idea for handling it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

That would not trouble me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Assuming this story is true, I would take issue with the first remark that your wife made, that the officer look at her eyes and not her breast(s).  The officer is trained to keep his eyes on the threat area, which are the hands and the torso area.  Unless you wife can shoot laser beams out of her eyes, they are not a threat area.  It sounds like your wife introduced belligerence into this scenario, although I will agree that the officer took it too far.  Assuming, of course, that this story is true.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Make sure to bring a video camera when you go down to the station to get a complaint form.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Assuming this story is true, I would take issue with the first remark that your wife made, that the officer look at her eyes and not her breast(s).  The officer is trained to keep his eyes on the threat area, which are the hands and the torso area.  Unless you wife can shoot laser beams out of her eyes, they are not a threat area.  It sounds like your wife introduced belligerence into this scenario, although I will agree that the officer took it too far.  Assuming, of course, that this story is true.

Thats reading a lot into this, I think....
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This is not intened as a cop bashing post.  I am a Federal Law Enforcement Officer.  If i did what this guy did I would be in alot of trouble.  Like Confined to the station, docked pay, loss of pay grade or more.  Loss of law enforcement quals ect..  Do i want to have this guy loose his job?  maybe, maybe not.  One mistake shouldn't ruin a mans retirement.  Should this guy ever pull my wife over again NO.  he does deserve more than a slap on the wrist.  I would rather not sue the dept.  my taxes would go up  

If you are a Federal LEO, you should be able to

(a) find out where this guy lives

(b) if he is married, his wife should know about his behavior

(c) have your friends make his life miserable for a while so that he will repent of his evil ways.  

Also, be prepared for "well, the dashcam seems to have malfunctioned..."  That happens a lot when it could benefit the citizen.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Also, be prepared for "well, the dashcam seems to have malfunctioned..."  That happens a lot when it could benefit the citizen.

Really?  how? and do you have examples?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#31]
First that comes to mind, on a national level, is Waco.

I know of several local instances.

I also know of one where police seized a news camera.  Only they could not figure out how to turn it off and it kept recording.  The station's lawyer got it back, said when he walked in they were trying to pry it open to get the tape.  Some police went to jail over that.

Yes, I do have a basis for this.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Do we have an update on this yet?

Was there a dashcam?

Who was the over-reacting person?

anyone?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#33]
File a complaint. Assuming your wife has accurately stated what occurred he will likely have had other complaints filed against him in the past.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Tag for updates
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#35]
update?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Taqg
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#37]
The cop decided to frisk her the third time he pulled her over? BS, he copped a feel, if he felt like she needed to be frisked he would have called a female officer the first time. The guy is a creep and in all probability is escelating to bigger and better things. Make a formal complaint and get the tape, if it is not too late. Also, talk to a lawyer to find out exactly what your options are. IMHO
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#38]
To properly evaluate this, I think we need to see a pic of your wife in said spandex..  Just kidding, trying to lighten the mood.

Get all the info you can, document it and file tons of complaints against him..  So what if you fuck his life up forever, he'd do it to you in a heartbeat..
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Update?  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Today I get at work from my wife, who was just pulled over for failing to stop at a stop sign.

Okay.

At some point during the incident, she had to remind the officer to look at her eyes and not her breast.

The eyes can commit no trespass, or I'm looking at whatever you're showing.

After receiving the ticket, the officer stated he hopes it’s the last time he has to pull her over today and then allowed her to leave.

that's certainly a bizarre statement.

She made it less than a quarter mile and he pulled her over again, for peeling out when she left.  Ticket states “starting in park”  who know what that means.  He said he heard her tires squeal.  That’s hard to do when the side of the road is dirt.

Did she shower the cop with a gravel rooster tail as she pulled out? That's the only way I can see justification for immediately stopping the same car again.

Then he proceeded to tell her that she needed to register her car in VT, since we have WA plates.  Well I’m in the military so I don’t have to.

Are you sure VT law grants that specific exemption?

This is certainly a good situation for the tale of the tape.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thats one guy who  would have a broken jaw when I got to the station.  File every type of charge you can against his ass.

OK Cynthia McKinney, take a chill pill.

I say that the officer is waaaaayyyy wrong.  Had there been a need to frisk her at all, it would have been at the first stop.  Frisking at the third stop is nothing but attempting to grope.

I agree.

Also, if there was a need to frisk, it should have been done by a female officer, not a male.

you lost me there.  you only do a Terry Frisk when you have a reasonable suspicion the subject is armed.  With that in mind are you going to stand there for 20 minutes waiting for a female officer to arrive while you believe the female suspect has a gun in her pocket? Thats a good way to get dead.

If its a two person patrol car and one is female, then by all means have the female officer terry frisk or search the females.  But if your alone and one has to be sent from a neighboring agency or area, and you think the female suspect is armed. do the terry frisk, but do it on camera.

As to the "starting in park" bit, he is insinuating that she revved the engine and then slammed the car into gear to spin out.  And to hearing the tires squeel on loose gravel, haven't you ever watched the dukes of hazard?

Yep.  the only time I have ever seen the same car pulled over twice was when a driver who just got a speding ticket deliberately showered the motorcycle cop and police motorcycle with gravel as he pulled away.  The second stop resulted in a trip to jail for assault and reckless driving.

I would file sexual harrasment and sexual assault charges against this officer.

I would certainly file a formal complaint.

Unless she threatened him causing him to have to immediately place her in restraints, he should never have touched her.

Good point. Did she make some sarcastic statement out of frustration about being armed? I once had a female driver get out of the car and open the trunk while i was writing her a ticket. I told her to get back in the car and she screamed "Fuck you! I have a gun in the trunk!" Great way to get proned out inthe street and gunpoint and go directly to jail.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
This is not intened as a cop bashing post. I am a Federal Law Enforcement Officer.  If i did what this guy did I would be in alot of trouble.  Like Confined to the station, docked pay, loss of pay grade or more.  Loss of law enforcement quals ect..  Do i want to have this guy loose his job?  maybe, maybe not.  One mistake shouldn't ruin a mans retirement.  Should this guy ever pull my wife over again NO.  he does deserve more than a slap on the wrist.  I would rather not sue the dept.  my taxes would go up  

Well I’m in the military so I don’t have to.

I'm confused.

One part you say you are military and now your a Fed LEO.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Here is the outcome according to the officer, he never did pull her over the third time, and his dash camera confirms his story.  Though she called me when she was first pulled over and called me back right after he left.  She was hysterically crying, about being frisked.  I don’t know who to believe.  So anyways his sergeant makes an early morning visit to my house to question her.  You should have seen his eyes when he spotted my ar-15 in the kitchen, and a ammo box of empty brass, and one open full of bandoleers.  Then he gets my wife’s whole story like I told it in the first post.  And then says that she is making it all up, because the third stop never happened, and if she doesn’t change her story to reflect that he could arrest her for filling a false report.  He kept telling her that she is lying and needs to tell the truth, or there was going to be a serious outcome.  Finally my wife says the magic lawyer word three times.  At this point he ask’s me to talk with him outside.  Outside he tells me if she doesn’t change her story that he will send the case to the states DA for review, and will probably be back with an arrest warrant.  After he leaves he goes to my work and talks to my officer in charge and XO.  I didn’t know about that until I got to work today.  So I left a message with this sergeant to call me back.  My wife and I decided that this was not a fight worth fighting, though she is heartbroken that the officer gets away with this.  And scared to leave the house.  Today I bought a couple of digital voice recorders, so if this ever happens again, we will have some evidence.  So this morning my XO calls me into his office I guess the sergeant told him that my wife used some rather vulgar language toward the officer.  Of course she didn’t tell me that.  
Lessons learned.  Have educated my wife on proper conduct while being pulled over for breaking a traffic law (sir/ma’am).  There is no need to argue on the street, that’s what they make courts for.  Make your own recording of the incident; (protect yourself) the police sure do.  Who should I believe, my wife that called me during the third stop, or the cop whose video doesn’t show a third stop.  I’m going to believe my wife especially since I received a phone call while it was happening.  I believe that the sergeant is a good officer, and on the information and evidence he had, he was doing what he had to do.  I believe that the officer that pulled my wife over has some tricks up his sleeve, tricks that were prepared for now.  I’ll never know the complete story because I was never there.  At the third stop could he have frisked searched her, YES.  At any time an officer can frisk search a subject, if he feels that the subject may be secreting a weapon on them, would it have been an appropriate time, probably not, but he would be in his legal right to do so.
With that I thank you all for listening to my rantings, and maybe you will also get a voice recorder to protect yourselves also, I would encourage it. Think about what you would do if it was your wife.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#45]
So he turned the dash cam off, or is the Thin Blue Line moving in?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Bama-Shooter  The U.S. Coast Guard is considered an armed force, along with the air force, army marines and the navy.  Where we differ is that the USCG is apart of the Dept of Homeland Security.  This allows us to be federal law enforcement officer without having to declare martial law.  The tricky part is that were also apart of the Dept of Defense, As so my Geneva Convention’s Military identification card says.  It’s the same military ID that everyone else gets, except it says USCG on it.  Also the USCG sends LEDET (Law Enforcement Detachment) teams on navy ships.  If you read about most of the navy’s big drug bust, you will also read that it was done in conjunction with a USCG LEDET team.  Another fact is that the coast guard has more jurisdiction than any other LE agency in the country, yet we have fewer people than the NYPD.  If you want to read more about it try looking up 14 USC 89, 14 USC 143, 19 USC 1401, and 19 USC 1589a.  Trust me its boring reading
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I think the dash camera was disabled for a bit
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

That seems to be the most plausible explanation.

I guess he didn't like a simple citizen objecting to his glares at her busom.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is not intened as a cop bashing post. I am a Federal Law Enforcement Officer.  If i did what this guy did I would be in alot of trouble.  Like Confined to the station, docked pay, loss of pay grade or more.  Loss of law enforcement quals ect..  Do i want to have this guy loose his job?  maybe, maybe not.  One mistake shouldn't ruin a mans retirement.  Should this guy ever pull my wife over again NO.  he does deserve more than a slap on the wrist.  I would rather not sue the dept.  my taxes would go up  

Well I’m in the military so I don’t have to.

I'm confused.

One part you say you are military and now your a Fed LEO.

In the Coast Guard you are considered both depending on your duties and quals.

Quoted:

Possible. What usually activates the camera ? The roof lights or the ignition, don't really know. All he would have to do is not activate it.

Known to be done before, remember that video with the guy ranting up a shitstorm and ripping up the ticket while the trooper remained super calm ? If I remember right it turned out the officer was under an IA investigation and had intentionally left his camera off while getting the guy all worked up. Then activated his camera to record what a great officer he was by keeping his cool while the motorist was still beside himself and screaming at the officer for things that happened while the camera was turned off. Not impossible

ETA: Just like it is not impossible that somebody could exagerrate an incident in the heat of the moment to make it seem worse than it really was. It's a two way street.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
So do you think the wife copped an attitude after the first stop and made the situation worse?  I'd like to hear the officer's side of this one.........including what your wife said to him ( in his words, not hers).

+10
Not being there, if I had to guess she probably did peal out while leaving and got pulled over again.
Some people think they can sweet talk themselves out of citations and some think they can talk shit and act rude.  (That does not get them far except maybe another citation or a trip to jail)
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top