User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#2]
You would be surprised what you can do when SHTF and you have to go.  I don't ruck with a 100lb + ruck, but give me a reason to plus the adrenline dump and I am good to go.  Back when I used to run a lot I would run with my IOTV and plates, didn't have access to rounds so I couldn't run with a full load.  It was fun and really helped me with my APFT.  I think when I get back stateside I will probably start rucking some more.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
When I first got to Afghanistan (or right before), I had every square inch of it loaded down with shit......rifle mags....pistol mags.....IFAK.....PLB.....flashlight.....belt cutter.....knife and scabbard......you name it.

That is, until:

I got off the fucking C17 and that 120 degree heat hit me in the face.....

My IOTV went on a strict diet! You learn real damned fast what is needed and what you can squeak by on.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I first got to Afghanistan (or right before), I had every square inch of it loaded down with shit......rifle mags....pistol mags.....IFAK.....PLB.....flashlight.....belt cutter.....knife and scabbard......you name it.

That is, until:

My IOTV went on a strict diet! You learn real damned fast what is needed and what you can squeak by on.
View Quote

Yup same here.  We where lucky and had a good RIP, and I paid attention to what they where carrying.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yup same here.  We where lucky and had a good RIP, and I paid attention to what they where carrying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is, until:

This is why I posted the link to the plate carrier thread.   Have you fellas that have "been there, done that." seen some of those kits?    I'm sure there are some fellas posting pictures that carry those rigs in foreign lands, but it seems a vast majority, are just copying each other, and idolizing the amount of gear hung off of them.    Then every once in a while we get a shot of the out of shape owner.    

Even if they never leave the basement, and defend it till the end, they are going to be overwhelmed with the excess weight very quickly.    I'd just like folks to try out their set up, and adjust it to the critical needs, and their ability, as you fellas are describing above.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I can't imagine how fast a swat team would be pouring bullets into me if I went into my pretentious suburb gym with armor on.

I do however have a weighted workout vest that I can wear under a hoodie to work out in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is not a group anywhere that can measure up to the ARFCOMER.   We all know that we are married to super models, do 100 one armed pull-ups while eating a cookie with the other, and date 20yr old goddesses when we reach 50yrs old.   We are sexual tyrannosauruses  who's SOs like to have sex multiple times a day, because they are turned on by all the cool gear we have.

After looking over this thread in the tactical forum, I am, again, in awe of our awesomeness.  ARFCOMERS have everything but the kitchen sink attached to their plate carriers, and the sink is usually attached to the war belt.   We carry enough ammo to supply the Alamo for a week.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/342310_Plate_carrier_thread_____This_is_NOW_a_post_pics_of_your_Plate_Carrier_THREAD___.html

Here is my challenge.   While working out at the gym today, and ripping through my pull-ups like an arfcom stud should, I realized it might be a little tougher with all my gear on.  My Plate Carrier is very sparse, with only two rifle mags, two pistol mags, and a flashlight hanging off of it.  It still weighs close to 25lbs with all that attached....a guess.   Add a rifle, my war belt with a pistol, and  more mags, and I'll bet I'm close to 50lbs of gear.   How about a 3day pack?   What's yours weigh?  Mine is a bit heavy.

To challenge myself, I added 50lbs today, and did a set of 10 pull-ups.   I probably need to try it with closer to 80lbs, being realistic.  

Can you do a couple pull-ups with all your gear on?  That seems like it might come in handy.  

How about after you put all that gear on, can you walk farther than a block or two without going into cardiac arrest?  Can you walk a few miles up hills in it?   I know most ARFCOMERS will defend their mothers basement till the bitter end, but will that be the only place you wear all of your gear?  

I'm challenging you tacticool, operator as fuck, geardos to get out and wear your kit, and find out if it's practical to have 14 30rd mags on your person at one time.  

I have to give my buddy Sparks556 kudos, for making me get out and test ourselves with all our gear on.   It's an eye opening experience, one that I hope you all can benefit from too.

Let's hear some after action reports.   Grab a buddy and go for a hike.    

Good Luck!

This challenge is not directed to those of you who do this for the real money, and down range.    I can't imagine what kind of SUCK it must be to hump all the gear you do, in places that would be challenging to hike even in a tshirt and shorts.  I am in awe of you folks.

I can't imagine how fast a swat team would be pouring bullets into me if I went into my pretentious suburb gym with armor on.

I do however have a weighted workout vest that I can wear under a hoodie to work out in.
OP just caused a spike in both SWAT team callouts and EMS calls as half of Arfcom took a lap around the block in full gear, and the other half collapsed climbing the steps out of the basement.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:01:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Most people wouldnt be able to deal with my kit, I humped that bitch up and down Mountains a lot.

6 mags, IFAK, extra CAT-T, Canteen Cup, AN/PVS-14s, two chemlights, flex cuffs, 8 HEDP(Carried more in my assault pack), 1 40mm Smoke, 2 40mm Star Clusters.  Had Front and Back plates and Soft armor.

ETA: My Carrier, Front/Rear Plates, 5 AR mags, 4 pistol mags(Maybe less just what I have on for now), Multitool, IFAK.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:07:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/ggee87/1070011_10153067038225385_1626523878_n_zpsa00b362c.jpg

Not tactical gear but still heavy.  

I'm not carrying my irons set or a high rise pack in this pic but I'm still wearing about 50lbs of gear.
View Quote

im with ya on that. im on Rescue, we PT every shift in full gear, on air, to work on air management, and to condition our selves to be able to work longer and harder on a fire/ rescue. between that and a few hours of a working fire and over haul back to back, my PC rig/ duty belt for my 2nd job feels like a wet hoodie and a fanny pack. im no gym buff, but with the work i do for a living, i can hump all my gear, and some, no problem.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you to all of you who have to haul all that for a living.  If I would have to bug out, I think I would use this new invention called the wheel.  Either a car or cart.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:30:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Even for guys in shape, once you actually wear your gear for more than an hour you quickly realize how much shit you don't need. It's always comical to watch news guys show up with ten tons of shit and then quickly rip it all off after an 8hr patrol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've done 6 miles with a 50 pound pack with a dude training to be SF. It sucked, and I know I couldn't go do that right now. I need to get back to it. I've started using a bike for cardio though.

And what I'm getting at here, in tongue and cheek, is that we may or may not be able to carry a 50lb pack, but at least find out for yourself before the day comes and the timing of that discovery is inconvenient.  

Some of those plate carrier kits look damn nice, but with 9+ mags, and a ton of shit hanging off off them, combined with someone out of shape just seems ridiculous.   My buddy Sparks556 is near 15yrs my junior, in great shape, and found this out too.   The rig he set up first, according to him, was just too damn heavy.   Now his kit is streamlined, and more realistic.   I followed his lead, setting up my own.  

After our hikes, we enjoy discussing how our gear carried, and what we thought of it.   Then we go home and make adjustments.   Next time out we can reevaluate.

Even for guys in shape, once you actually wear your gear for more than an hour you quickly realize how much shit you don't need. It's always comical to watch news guys show up with ten tons of shit and then quickly rip it all off after an 8hr patrol.

As always, there's a Terminal Lance for that.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP just caused a spike in both SWAT team callouts and EMS calls as half of Arfcom took a lap around the block in full gear, and the other half collapsed climbing the steps out of the basement.

View Quote

I do what I can.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 OP

Actually covers a much broader subject.  Bullet points because I'm in a hurry.

Most here own a plate carrier (PC) for SHTF.

Many of the younger veterans are in love with their PCs because that's how they operated over there.

In CONUS SHTF will not be like how it was over there, it could be better or it could be worse just within a span of a few blocks.

Being able to adapt to each environment is the key so being able to blend in is the key.

If your idea is to wear your PC continuously then you might as well wear your MICH or Ops Core helmet along with it, then you will really stick out.

If you plan on getting into firefights rather than break contact you will eventually die, either directly or from your injuries and infection from a lack of medical support.

If you live near water or the coast I hope you own a PC with a quick release mechanism.

Absolutely, keep exercising, running, x-fit etc. and then be ready to ditch dead weight as the situation sees fit, your objective is to survive to live another day not replay Blackhawk Down.

Too many here think GI Joe when they should be thinking Viet Cong.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
+1 OP

Too many here think GI Joe when they should be thinking Viet Cong.

View Quote

This is exactly the same phrase my buddy stated too.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't see anything on the news about SWAT teams being summoned, so did everybody die on their stairs on the way out of the basement?  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is why I posted the link to the plate carrier thread.   Have you fellas that have "been there, done that." seen some of those kits?    I'm sure there are some fellas posting pictures that carry those rigs in foreign lands, but it seems a vast majority, are just copying each other, and idolizing the amount of gear hung off of them.    Then every once in a while we get a shot of the out of shape owner.    

Even if they never leave the basement, and defend it till the end, they are going to be overwhelmed with the excess weight very quickly.    I'd just like folks to try out their set up, and adjust it to the critical needs, and their ability, as you fellas are describing above.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is, until:

I only carry 3 rifle mags on my PC and my plates only weigh 7 lbs each with the backers.

I also don't have a 3 day pack so I can't carry that much weight around...Maybe I'm not tactical enough

On the plus side I can actually move in my PC and belt and I don't get my sling caught up on my gear very often so I must be doing something right.

Still not doing any pullups though...If it makes you happy I will go for a hike when it warms up...

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top