Member Login

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:36:42 AM EDT
PAGE 2!
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:38:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By emjohn4:
A lot of people carry golf clubs here.

I carry a nice folding knife. I figure that I"m gonna get bit if a dog attacks anyway...at least I can kill it quickly with a knife as opposed to a club.

As my grandpa used to say, "you'd draw back a nub".
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:38:43 AM EDT
the Cold Steel Gun Stock club looks like a nice walkin stick to me http://www.coldsteel.com/gunstockwarclub.html
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:39:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Tweightwee:
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
just make sure that mag lite can not make the sound that can not be named. I have seen some really nice canes - but if you are worried about 2 legged strays I still prefer my ccw.

What?

Some posters where calling a certain group of people (illegal aliens, some times all Mexicans) the sound a mag light makes when it gets a good solid hit on their head (tonk) you can say "tonk" as an onomatopoeia but you can not use it as a derogitory term on ARFCOM or you will be banated.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:46:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2011 10:56:49 AM EDT by mousehunter]

just make sure that mag lite can not make the sound that can not be named. I have seen some really nice canes - but if you are worried about 2 legged strays I still prefer my ccw.

What?

The sound that can not be named is in reference to a thread that resulted in a few banning. It refereed to using a (modified) mag light as a club. Modify a mag lite to make it a better club - and you have an illegal weapon. The modification involved removing the D-cell batteries and incerting some lead pipe). In addition to the racist remarks, the thread bordered on instructing on illegal activity.

A club is a weapon. Most places you can walk with a tool - but don't carry a weapon. There is a fine line when a tool becomes a weapon. Walk around with a flashlight - ok. Walk around with a 10lb flashlight - your are probably going to jail if you get caught.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:51:28 AM EDT
I've been thinking about getting a cane for when I go walking
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:52:20 AM EDT
this thread is relevant to my interests. My wife and I take our 7 month old son out for walks in the neighborhood and she is always worried about the possibility of coming across an aggressive stray dog. I've been toying around with the idea of getting a collapsible baton and sticking it in our jogging stroller.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:56:45 AM EDT
I have a 110lb Pit bull he would not think twice being spayed with pepper spay, but you might have a chance with a club.

Now this was before but now he is 14 and sleeps 23.5 hours a day, some days I have to nudge him just to make sure he is alive
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:58:15 AM EDT
Walking sticks are nice to have for dogs.

Guns are better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:00:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2011 11:07:10 AM EDT by LazarusLong]

Originally Posted By uxb:
This thread needs moar ice axe

https://www.alpenglowgear.com/gear/images/BD_Cobra2008.jpg

Trotsky approved.

Originally Posted By para_frame:

What?

Some posters where calling a certain group of people (illegal aliens, some times all Mexicans) the sound a mag light makes when it gets a good solid hit on their head (tonk) you can say "tonk" as an onomatopoeia but you can not use it as a derogitory term on ARFCOM or you will be banated.

TONK/TONC = "Temporarily out of native country"
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:02:41 AM EDT
I carry this when I take a walk around my neighborhood or go for a hike in the woods. I do have a bad back and having a 3rd point of support provides some relief. The fact that this would make a hell of a weapon is a nice bonus.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:02:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:04:13 AM EDT
Tire Knocker:

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:08:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:11:07 AM EDT
My dog and I walk 2-6 miles in and around our neighborhood, everyday... not a day goes by that a stray or loose dog doesn't pass by us.

Most dogs aren't going to attack us. They are just curious and want to meet us. I usually just yell, "go home" and they usually turn and go away. If they don't and continue towards us I use my pig cane (curved walking cane) to block the other dog or push him away. (I don't hit the other dog unless I have to.)

If the stick doesn't work... Mr. M&P probably will. But, luckily, I haven't had to find out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 12:06:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2011 12:07:42 PM EDT by DetroitPatriot]

Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
Tire Knocker:

Keep that in the rig with me. Nearly got employed the other day.

At the house for a walk, I have a walking stick from REI, per their faggy terminology, a "trekking pole". Has a nice metal spike on the bottom that could be used to fight off 2/4 legged attacks, but the heater is there too.

DP
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 12:50:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By phideaux:
the Cold Steel Gun Stock club looks like a nice walkin stick to me http://www.coldsteel.com/gunstockwarclub.html

Chingachgook approves.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 1:19:14 PM EDT
I just carry a gun. No stick needed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 1:26:20 PM EDT
I walk 2 60 lb dogs carry a S+W 642 in my pocket and often a 6' walking stick. Stick helps me keep my 2 dogs in line also helps keep other dogs and aggressive women away. I'm 69 yrs old.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 2:15:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ger42:
I walk 2 60 lb dogs carry a S+W 642 in my pocket and often a 6' walking stick. Stick helps me keep my 2 dogs in line also helps keep other dogs and aggressive women away. I'm 69 yrs old.

That's funny as hell
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 2:23:58 PM EDT
I carry a 4 ft length of Oak thats 1.5 inch in diameter.
Has a wrist strap on top & a rubber pad on the bottom.
And if that doesnt work theres always the pistol in my waistband for backup.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 2:51:34 PM EDT
http://www.fashionablecanes.com/Bull_Organ_Penis_Walking_Cane.html
http://www.rtoproducts.com/bull-canes.php

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 2:53:25 PM EDT
Any dog big enough to warrant a club is big enough that it wont do any good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 3:01:43 PM EDT
Ski poles are the preferred weapon around here. Mainly used to poke at gross things you see in the ditches.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 3:10:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2011 3:10:54 PM EDT by KYtechmike]
You might look into the sjambok. It looks pretty effective and I think Cold Steel has one at a decent price.

The sjambok works great for dissuading aggressive animals. Two legged and four legged.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 3:20:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KYtechmike:
You might look into the sjambok. It looks pretty effective and I think Cold Steel has one at a decent price.

The sjambok works great for dissuading aggressive animals. Two legged and four legged.

I have cracked a 7/8 grown bull with it. He ran like a little calf.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 3:40:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2011 4:06:20 PM EDT by Pike]
Does a typical dog back off when a cane/stick is held high?
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 3:46:55 PM EDT
i like my ASP for this reason.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 4:03:27 PM EDT
www.bubbastik.com
This is what I bought for a walking stick/cane.
I have even taken it on a cruise to Mexico.
It went through metal detectors on board and Mexican police inspection ashore without a second look.
I would not want to get hit with the brass harness hame or poked with the pointy end.
The rubber tip has a metal insert so the point doesn't show up on the dectector.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 4:04:18 PM EDT
Kids and I hike with cedar walking sticks. I stripped the bark and we sanded ours down. They enjoyed doing it and the damn things are tough.

When I walk or jog I just carry a pistol.

Our neighborhood backs up to a large city part that is barely a park.. more like woods with trails, park benches and a play scape on the very end of it. We get the occational rabid animal wonder into the neighborhood, so the kids know to use the sticks if something doesn't shy away when yelled at. Of course they know to avoid animal in general, especially if it's the hottest part of the day.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 4:36:14 PM EDT

I live in town and see alot of walkers with golf clubs..
its the damn dogs around here...
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 4:37:10 PM EDT
any walking sticks that you dont look like Mr French?

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 4:42:45 PM EDT
I grew up in Texas and we kids never went anywhere without a stick. Killed many a rattlesnake while picking blackberries.

Maybe these 65 and older folks are just smarter than you
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 4:51:19 PM EDT
I think an electric cattle prod would be great for stray dogs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 4:52:53 PM EDT
And....Bodark trees make some of the stongest sticks you can find.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 4:57:23 PM EDT
i carry a kaiser blade, some folks call it a sling blade, i call it a kaiser blade.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 5:11:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2011 5:12:06 PM EDT by shadowcat]
Originally Posted By MajorStumpDemon:
i carry a kaiser blade, some folks call it a sling blade, i call it a kaiser blade.

I carry the blade off my lawn mower!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 5:19:55 PM EDT
A thread that brings out the caveman in all of us. I like it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 5:24:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2011 5:25:10 PM EDT by Extorris]
Cane Masters

I have the hickory one myself. Nice and heavy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 5:26:04 PM EDT
I carry a little 24 inch garden spade that extends to 40 inches for picking up the poop (goes in the nearest sewer grate or bushes). That's usually sufficient. Of course I have my CCW for the times when the spade might not be...
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 5:47:50 PM EDT
Fuck your walking sticks.

Pimp cane, FTW.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 6:11:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By YukonCharlie:
And....Bodark trees make some of the stongest sticks you can find.

Bois d'arc, known as Osage Orange here in Ohio.

It is a good wood (bois) for (de) bows (arc) too. Very tough.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 6:14:22 PM EDT
The illustrations alone in this article make it worth checking out:

Self-defence with a Walking-stick
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 7:31:50 PM EDT
I carry a golf club when I know there are aggressive stray dogs in the area I walk my dog in- I carry a flashlight the rest of the time.

Blinding someone at night with a blast from a flashlight will take the fight out of almost anyone.

(under 65 BTW)
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 7:36:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hkusp9:
I would be very careful carrying an axe handle or some other improvised club in texas.

Tesas has a prohibited weapons statute that prohibits the carrying of an illegal club which is a telescoping baton or any object that is used as a striking weapon instead of its intended purpose.

This statute has been used to arrest gang bangers driving around with those really short aluminum baseball bats in their cars when they dont play litle league softball or guys walking around with a 2x4 with nails in the end or even a golf club with no golf course in sight.

I havent arrested any walkers who i have seen carrying everything and anything that you can imagine because most of them look like harmless old people but an officer would still have that ability.

If they have that much time, they should get with animal control and pick up the dammed stray dogs so it's safe to walk in the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 7:42:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Eukatae:
Any dog big enough to warrant a club is big enough that it wont do any good.

Dogs seems able to differentiate between

man
&
man with big stick in his hands
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 7:42:54 PM EDT
Local incident where 3 off-leash Pit Bulls attacked a man and his German Shepherd Dog ended with the GSD owner shooting one of the pit bulls and scaring the other two away.
Witnesses stated that the man and his dog likely would have died if not for having the firearm to end the attack.
No arrests were made.
I don't know if a walking stick would've had the same outcome.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 7:43:49 PM EDT
sjambok
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 7:45:41 PM EDT
My dad used to carry a golf club when walking our dog. He cracked more than a few dogs heads with it when they tried to pick a fight with our dog. They all turned into nice dogs after that too, it's funny.

And best of all, it's not a weapon, so no intimidation factor for the sheeple.

I just carry a gun myself.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 7:47:10 PM EDT
I use HALT dog spray. It has worked every time including big Pit Bulls. Every dog I have sprayed with it tucks tail and runs yapping like a scared bitch. Owning rentals in sporty neighborhoods, I have sprayed quite a few dogs, including quite a few Pits.
Page / 3
Top Top