User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
NFA sound like you were flaged. You are getting the shaft because of your active role in the gun control debate and as such you are takeing the fall for speeking and acting for people like my wife and I both NFA members but... I keep relitively quiet. Is it the right thing to do? NO! For the good of the canadian gun owners across the country. NO! I should be writing, e-mailing, running my mouth off and selling my left nut to give donations to the NFA but I don't. Why? I have been wire tapped once and don't like it. I have been under investigation one and don't like it. I don't need to put myself and my family through that again. And I won't. And yes I spent 30 min in a fellas house after I bought my last ar15 untill I had a TAN # to take it home. Sounds like your PFO is an a-hole.

Moe
View Quote

Yep, I concur.  But I always fully obey this silly law plus a little extra margin of safety to skirt grey areas, so the surfeit of attention isn't much of a problem for me.  The firearm bureaucrats have taken their best shots and all they have accomplished is to delay the return of one of my guns.  In exchange, they've been ridiculed in the national media, spanked and in some cases demoted by their bosses, and have even been forced to admit some of their mistakes in sworn court testimony.  I wouldn't trade places with 'em for the world.  On top of that the poor bastards have to regularly deal with my charming persona. :)  With opponents of this caliber I can afford not to kiss and make up for a good long while.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By |\|F/\:
Some guns like line launchers and 'antique firearms' aren't considered firearms and require no background check.
View Quote

TRUE

Some new manufacture firearms such as flintlock reproductions of pre-1898 long guns are considered 'antique firearms' and require no background check
View Quote

UNTRUE - NFA this is incorrect - any new manufactured 'kit gun' must be registered.

View Quote

Not necessarily the case.  Antique firearms prescribed for the purposes of CC S.84(1) are listed at:

http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/cfm/ENGLISH/TOPICS/02WEAPON/0201000F.HTM

Schedule 1, section 1 specifically includes "A reproduction of a flintlock, wheel-lock or matchlock firearm, other than a handgun, manufactured after 1897" in the list of prescribed antique firearms.  Seems to me that that's missing the pre-98 wording which as I recall still applies.  So, a brand new flintlock Hawken replica such as the Traditions set-trigger jobbie (which I recently purchased without a license from a reputable dealer who confirmed the legality of the transaction with the CFC) is an 'antique firearm' and requires no license, reg cert, etc.  

If on the other hand you've got an AR kit with a flintlock upper, that likely won't cut it as a reproduction of a pre-1898 flintlock... [%|]

It gets better.  The CFC position on non-replica (eg percussion, which is just a few parts removed from a flintlock) muzzleloaders is that barrel by itself is not a firearm - and neither is the breechplug.  Only when the breechplug is assembled into the barrel does the firearm become a firearm.  Then, apparently, it's still a firearm of some sort when disassembled.  So, the difference between a firearm and a bolt is where it's been poked.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top