Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Man fuck grenades
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if anybody would fess up if they fumbled a grenade during basic/boot or on deployment.

When I was at Basic, I saw a guy who never should have been allowed near a live grenade (he never successfully threw a practice one) throw a real M67 in to the wall immediately in front of him during the live fire exercise. He bent to pick it up when the SGT who was with him grabbed him, threw him out of the pit and dove for cover himself. No one was hurt, thank God.

Saw this one too, it was a female throwing the grenade.  Instructor threw her out of the pit and landed on top of her. She was pissed that she got a few bruised ribs from him landing on top of her.

WTF? I bet the SGT was pissed about having to save her life too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Spoon on or off?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I want in on this
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Need answer fast!!

Pin? Sure. Unless the spoon came off. If the spoon pops off, better throw that fucker or...
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Even I know you can!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Military Grenade Prank, Youtube

ETA: Wow 501st beat me to it by a matter of seconds. It's kinda funny. Not really laugh out loud funny, but it made me smirk.

P.S. I'm still alive. Thank you all.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Who gives a shit as long as the clip is still on?
Oh, yea, nobody ever mentions the poor, unsung, saftey clip.  Fucking pull ring get ALL the god damn spotlight!

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
True story.

I had a ring catch on a hand railing and the loudest sound in the world is that thing landing on concrete.  I had had the forethought to position the spoons against my mag pouches.  It never moved.  

It was pretty tense as the guy re-inserted the pin.  

I was an M203 gunner at the time, and had about 10 HEDP in my vest along with the 4 frags.  I am pretty sure  that not many of them would have sympathetically detonated.  Pretty sure.  

Wouldn't have mattered to me anyway, except for getting my cherry ass kicked in St. Peter's presence.

I'm glad you are back.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Good grenade pouches have slots for the spoon in them and wrap the frag tight to avoid just that situation!

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Better off to just throw it away.

Duct tape the spoon and send it to me for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I would love to have some hand grenades and a range to use them on. Even the M69 trainers would be fun.

Are the trainers DD's?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good grenade pouches have slots for the spoon in them and wrap the frag tight to avoid just that situation!  

And keep the pins to the INSIDE.

As for the OP, the pin doesn't make the grenade go off, the pin just keeps the spoon attached.  Release the spoon and it's fo time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
True story.

I had a ring catch on a hand railing and the loudest sound in the world is that thing landing on concrete.  I had had the forethought to position the spoons against my mag pouches.  It never moved.  

I was an M203 gunner at the time, and had about 10 HEDP in my vest along with the 4 frags.  I am pretty sure  that not many of them would have sympathetically detonated.  Pretty sure.  

Wouldn't have mattered to me anyway, except for getting my cherry ass kicked in St. Peter's presence.

I'm glad you are back.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would love to have some hand grenades and a range to use them on. Even the M69 trainers would be fun.

Are the trainers DD's?

I don't see how they would be, but getting the training fuses would probably not be any easy task. They are basically one time use unless you just want to throw around grenade shaped metal ball.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I think they did just that on an episode of Dragnet once.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are the trainers DD's?

I don't see how they would be, but getting the training fuses would probably not be any easy task. They are basically one time use unless you just want to throw around grenade shaped metal ball.

Wonder if you could just load your own? It would appear you could. I should write a letter to the ATF and see what they say.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Are the trainers DD's?

Fuses are controlled as the could be used as an IED.  The bodies?  Only by idiots since they look like grenades and fools think they were grenades, only "drilled out".

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are the trainers DD's?

99% of training grenades I used where just that!  We'd get 5 training fuses for the practice range, then run shit tons of MOUT tossing around fuseless trainers!

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are the trainers DD's?

Wonder if you could just load your own? It would appear you could. I should write a letter to the ATF and see what they say.

You could, if  you wanted.  The primers are a bit different, less bang and more flame.  The fuse train is smokeless, you could substitute green visco fuse. Then you would have to make  your own closed end tube for the report.  

The problem is finding the fuse body with spoon.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Are the trainers DD's?

99% of training grenades I used where just that!  We'd get 5 training fuses for the practice range, then run shit tons of MOUT tossing around fuseless trainers!

Yeah, I really don't see the point in the sim fuses. All you really need are some pins to pull out and then throw the damn thing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep

What if you let the handle or what ever it is called go?

Its called a SPOON!!! NO if the spoon goes, you go BOOOMMM!!!

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Oh, yea, nobody ever mentions the poor, unsung, saftey clip.  Fucking pull ring get ALL the god damn spotlight!

That safety clip is a joke. It pops off if you look at it wrong.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Are the trainers DD's?

Yeah, I really don't see the point in the sim fuses. All you really need are some pins to pull out and then throw the damn thing.

Eh, the pop would be fun. Unless I hit the mega millions I'll never have a case of grenades, legal trainers would be as close as I could get.

Sort of like having a 9mm LAW trainer, that would be fun. Or a mortar that shot dummy rounds. Or an RPG that shot dummy rounds.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#28]
fukd that up
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True story.

I'm glad you are back.

Should Lo&Lbi
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Best prank ever:

Friend of mine walks up to his squad leader in Afghanistan holding a grenade in one hand and a pin from a previously used smoke grenade in the other.

He says, "Segeant, how do you put this back in?"

Sergeant gives him the most serious look and says, "Very carefully you need to walk to the hescos and throw it over."

Friend says ok, turns around, drops grenade and screams "OH SHIT!"

He was not amused.

I'd be laughing my ass off if he did that to me.  I'd be crying from laughing so hard.  He'd be spending the rest of his tour on latrine shit removal.  Possibly using a soup spoon to remove it.  My gut would be sore from laughing so hard though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep

It's the spoon and if he has let go of that and didn't heave it, he wouldn't be posting.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep

Put down beer, run.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There should be a post count limit that you have to reach before you can rock the BFL on your ride.  

He has a gold star, you have bronze.

Bang!  That just happened!  

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was on the frag range when we had a "dud".

Range shut down.

EOD comes out.  Looks at it with binos.  Walks out and picks up frag, replaces pin.  Walks back.

Safety clip wasn't removed before Joe tossed it.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#35]
NO, RUN!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Is OP still here, or did he learn a hard and unforgiving lesson?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was on the frag range when we had a "dud".

Range shut down.

EOD comes out.  Looks at it with binos.  Walks out and picks up frag, replaces pin.  Walks back.

Safety clip wasn't removed before Joe tossed it.  

Talk about big balls!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Clip!
Chest,pull pin!
Throw grenade!
Hell, I think the biggest Army urban legend is the one where "just last week ,at the grenade range", private pyle, tucks the frag into the Sgts vest, and the Sgt gives him a bear hug.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#39]
I see a lot of misconceptions here, so here's the skinny...

A grenade has TWO safeties.  The pull pin is well known by most peolpe.  But there's also a thumb safety that wraps around the back of the spoon.  

Both safeties can be removed with one hand.  The first finger pulls the pin, and the thumb pops the thumb safety off.  If the pin is pulled while the thumb safety is on, nothing happens.  If the thumb safety is removed while the pin stays in place nothing happens.

When both safeties are removed, the grenade is armed. If you throw it, it will go BOOM.  At this point, only the "spoon" is keeping the grenade from detonating.  If the safeties are put back in, the grenade will be safe once again (well, as safe as grenades ever really get).  This is totally okay, and it does happen in combat situations.  

The spoon is the last thing that keeps the greande from arming itself.  It basically holds a small hammer in place, much like the hammer on a gun.  When the spoon is released, the hammer swings around, pops the primer (just like the primer on a cartidge), and ignites the fuse.  The spoon does not have to come completely off the grenade, and it is possible to allow the spoon to relax enough that the hammer ignites the grenade, and then squeeze the spoon back down again.  The grenade WILL blow up at this point, even though the spoon has been pressed down again.

So when you're handling a grenade, make damned sure you hold that spoon down in a death grip.  If you ever let the spoon pop up enough for the hammer to release, throw that sucker downrang ASAP.

BTW...

Somebody mentioned that the safeties can sometimes be released accidentally.  The pins can catch on things, and the thumb safeties can pop off.  The solution is to carry spares.  Whenever I went to the grenade range, I kept a few pins and a few clips just in case.  In a pinch, a big safety pin can also replace the pin.

And if you think grenades are fun, you should try a claymore.  It'll rock your world.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep

Its called a SPOON!!! NO if the spoon goes, you go BOOOMMM!!!

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Depends on what kind of grenade.

M67, yes.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are the trainers DD's?

Pretty certain the ATF considers any modification to grenades that are intended to make them "active" is bad juju.   I would assume they would frown on "reloading" trainer fuses.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Is this related to your thread asking about how to tell your woman that she's fat?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

True story.

I had a ring catch on a hand railing and the loudest sound in the world is that thing landing on concrete. I had had the forethought to position the spoons against my mag pouches. It never moved.

I was an M203 gunner at the time, and had about 10 HEDP in my vest along with the 4 frags. I am pretty sure that not many of them would have sympathetically detonated. Pretty sure.

Holy. Shit. My pants would've needed to be changed.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Hold my beer and watch this.....

FRAG OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP:

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#46]
If you hear a "small" pop, THROW THAT SHIT. in your toilet
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#47]
But can you pull the pin with your teeth?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
But can you pull the pin with your teeth?

Depending on your teeth...

I would say no, those pins are in too strong.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Only one way to dispense it. And I laugh every time I see this picture.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm sure we've all seen this oops but...

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top