User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
fuck these dumbass theme things..... id just send some money myself.

https://youtu.be/6o0_xGIUbvs
View Quote

Did you?

Got a receipt?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Might as well get mad at people for not paying their cable bill. Who fucking cares?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I have lost family to ALS. I know people with ALS.
We did the challenge in the office and raised money for the cause.
The people I know with ALS appreciated it.
Whats the problem OP?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I just love sitting back and observing the world grow stupider every day. It's better than prime time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The people make it about them and not the disease.
View Quote

That's the secret to good fundraising... That and competition.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sorry to hurt your feelings. My problem is not with how much money it made. Obviously its a horrific disease. My problem is with how many assholes just dump water over their heads, post their video to youtube or wherever else for a "me" moment. Why even have any sort of challenge. Why can't people just simply mail a check in?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go ahead and look up how much money ALSA made from the ice bucket challenge, then be quiet.

Do it.

Sorry to hurt your feelings. My problem is not with how much money it made. Obviously its a horrific disease. My problem is with how many assholes just dump water over their heads, post their video to youtube or wherever else for a "me" moment. Why even have any sort of challenge. Why can't people just simply mail a check in?

Don't click on their videos?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#7]
If it raises money or helps somehow, great. Keep it going.

The problem is that for a lot of people its nothing more than the next kony-harlemshake-planking social media fad. I know a lot of people that made videos but didnt donate a dime.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#8]
"Emotional blackmail."

That has got to be the faggiest thing I've ever read on ARFCOM and I've skimmed through the coming out / bronie threads.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sorry your feelings got hurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

So, in effect, somebody is holding an emotional gun to your head and making you take an ice bath?  Is that it?

Don't want to take the challenge and/or stroke a check to ALSA...don't.  Be a grown up and politely decline.

See

Quoted:
Wasn't the premise that if you didn't "accept" the challenge that you were supposed to donate $100, and if you did "accept" then donate $10?

If that is true, as I understand it, then people are showing that they would rather dump a bucket of ice over their head than to make a large donation to the cause.

You get tagged cause you're on social media, and you have 3 options, do this dumbass shit, donate or look like a prick.

What can't we do the same thing for guns?

I didn't give two shits.  Not cause I don't care about the illness, I think the method is bullshit.  It's a social media gotcha deal.

Ohh I dumped water over my head, look at me, or I cut a check cause I won't.

How about you volunteer at a local hospital, or nursing home.  Then come at me with your latest fad.

I thought the red cross pimping people after 9-11 was bad, this latest social media bullshit is worse.

It is literally the equivalent of me walking out of a grocer here and some brit chick on behalf of the cancer council trying to guilt me out of money.  She actually said, "what if someone in your family had cancer?"

At that time my mom did.  Fuck guilt trip causes.  And the whole ice bucket challenge was exactly that, the whole design was so you'd get tagged and have to pay up or else.  Show me otherwise.

That's not witty, that's not cunning, that's fucking duress/coercion.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Did you?

Got a receipt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you?

Got a receipt?

Why should he have to?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did you?

Got a receipt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you?

Got a receipt?

I thought you only had to do that if you got nominated.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I didn't give two shits.  Not cause I don't care about the illness, I think the method is bullshit.  It's a social media gotcha deal.

How about you volunteer at a local hospital, or nursing home.  Then come at me with your latest fad.

I thought the red cross pimping people after 9-11 was bad, this latest social media bullshit is worse.

It is literally the equivalent of me walking out of a grocer here and some brit chick on behalf of the cancer council trying to guilt me out of money.  She actually said, "what if someone in your family had cancer?"

At that time my mom did.  Fuck guilt trip causes.  And the whole ice bucket challenge was exactly that, the whole design was so you'd get tagged and have to pay up or else.  Show me otherwise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

So, in effect, somebody is holding an emotional gun to your head and making you take an ice bath?  Is that it?

Don't want to take the challenge and/or stroke a check to ALSA...don't.  Be a grown up and politely decline.

See

Quoted:
Wasn't the premise that if you didn't "accept" the challenge that you were supposed to donate $100, and if you did "accept" then donate $10?

If that is true, as I understand it, then people are showing that they would rather dump a bucket of ice over their head than to make a large donation to the cause.

You get tagged cause you're on social media, and you have 3 options, do this dumbass shit, donate or look like a prick.

What can't we do the same thing for guns?

wut

You must hate seeing Girl Scouts outside of grocery stores, or have your blood pressure skyrocket every time you hear the Salvation Army bellringers.

I'm genuinely curious how you deal with your anger on a day-to-day basis.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Emotional blackmail."

That has got to be the faggiest thing I've ever read on ARFCOM and I've skimmed through the coming out / bronie threads.
View Quote

So what would you call it?

How about this, if you hate cancer give me $20, if you don't run through a corn field backwards.

That's fucking charity?  

Rattleheads on FB saying like this it's one prayer for this girl dying of whatever, one share is a cure, is exactly emotional blackmail.

I'll wait while you show me a disease cured by social media.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Ironically, the original post is a "Look at Me" thing  the OP felt the need to put on the internet.

Hmm.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

wut

You must hate seeing Girl Scouts outside of grocery stores, or have your blood pressure skyrocket every time you hear the Salvation Army bellringers.

I'm genuinely curious how you deal with your anger on a day-to-day basis.
View Quote

I have yet to see a girl scout trying to guilt trip me into anything.

Here's what a girlscout does, "I have this, if you buy that it'll do this".

Well them are some good thin mints, so yeah, I'll take 6.

Huge difference, but obviously you don't see that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How about this, if you hate cancer give me $20, if you don't run through a corn field backwards.

That's fucking charity?  

Rattleheads on FB saying like this it's one prayer for this girl dying of whatever, one share is a cure, is exactly emotional blackmail.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Emotional blackmail."

That's fucking charity?  

All those words and this is all I've got.

Seriously, you don't want to give... don't. It's really that simple.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Go ahead and look up how much money ALSA made from the ice bucket challenge, then be quiet.

Do it.

View Quote

Were is the challenge, there is no challenge just stupid childhood actions which might raise money in the near term but do NOTHING to raise and keep the spotlight on the disease! And because there is no real challenge it is easy to mimic, make fun of, and also do bad things with that again also take away from the message of ALS. Lastly the participate is getting nothing out of it, at least with the March of Dimes, people are walking and getting some exercise!
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ironically, the original post is a "Look at Me" thing  the OP felt the need to put on the internet.

Hmm.
View Quote

I'm bringing my own awareness to douchebags wasting precious natural resources and not sending in any check. Just making a video for "look at me".
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why should he have to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you?

Got a receipt?

Why should he have to?

Either point out where I said he had an obligation or don't try to twist my words.

The point is he said he would rather send a check, but it's undeniable that those people would have sent money if not for the ice bucket challenge.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Were is the challenge, there is no challenge just stupid childhood actions which might raise money in the near term but do NOTHING to raise and keep the spotlight on the disease! And because there is no real challenge it is easy to mimic, make fun of, and also do bad things with that again also take away from the message of ALS. Lastly the participate is getting nothing out of it, at least with the March of Dimes, people are walking and getting some exercise!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it.

I have no idea what March of Dimes is.

Does that get my point across?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm bringing my own awareness to douchebags wasting precious natural resources and not sending in any check. Just making a video for "look at me".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm.

Do it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://media4.giphy.com/media/HJTBvT7cTQqFq/200_s.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Emotional blackmail."

That's fucking charity?  

But that wasn't the intent of the whole concept was it?

By design, you could look three ways.  2 of which somehow benefited the cause, the other made you look insensitive.  Is that really what charity's have resorted to?

If you don't want Hillary to win in 2016 dump a pile of shit on your head, write a check to the conservative cause, or look like a prick.

That is literally how the whole thing worked, and why I can't fault anyone on here for not being apart of FB.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

By design, you could look three ways.  2 of which somehow benefited the cause, the other made you look insensitive.  Is that really what charity's have resorted to?

If you don't want Hillary to win in 2016 dump a pile of shit on your head, write a check to the conservative cause, or look like a prick.

That is literally how the whole thing worked, and why I can't fault anyone on here for not being apart of FB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Emotional blackmail."

That's fucking charity?  

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not really.  

Change your pad.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#25]
But....awareness.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Either point out where I said he had an obligation or don't try to twist my words.

The point is he said he would rather send a check, but it's undeniable that those people would have sent money if not for the ice bucket challenge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you?

Got a receipt?

Why should he have to?

It's none of your business if he sent a check or not is it?  You're tied up in the cause, or some other willy nilly bullshit and that's perverted your common sense.  He might have sent a million, the fact he doesn't want attention for it is admirable.  You know, the exact opposite of this exercise.  Like most people who give to charity, they don't seek attention for it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Sadly, I know about 30 people that did it and not a single one made a donation.

Most of them were crossfitters and tough mudder types.

Hmm...
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's fucking charity?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Emotional blackmail."

That's fucking charity?  

Social acceptance is how the majority of marketing works. The only thing the campaign did was, reinforce the idea that most people have 0 control over their emotions and that humans are just lemmings with opposable thumbs.

It was effective though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Emotional blackmail."

That's fucking charity?  

There's your sign.

Maybe it's just my Murican showing but there's absolutely nothing wrong with looking like or even being a prick.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not at all.  I thought the whole thing was stupid and looked desperate.

You can try to make it out that I'm a pussy cause I think the whole thing is a ploy to guilt, or get people emotional. But falling for the status quo's latest con, cause you know, feelings would make that person look like a pussy.

I donate as I want.  I don't need a fucking cheerleader for it, nor a video to prove it to anyone.  Nor have I ever claimed it on taxes.

If the important thing in your life is following a facebook fad, I won't bust your balls for it.  But the people who pervert the illness, and gullible people to support it well I'm free to have my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Social acceptance is how the majority of marketing works. The only thing the campaign did was, reinforce the idea that most people have 0 control over their emotions and that humans are just lemmings with opposable thumbs.

It was effective though.
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There's your sign.

Maybe it's just my Murican showing but there's absolutely nothing wrong with looking like or even being a prick.
View Quote

So put a bucket up outside a store, and don't use carnival shit to guilt people into giving money.

How about that?  Why resort to schemes?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So put a bucket up outside a store, and don't use carnival shit to guilt people into giving money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's your sign.

Because it works.

Worked so well they're going to try it again.

I bet they don't do 50 mil this time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Because it works.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's your sign.

Because it works.

And I still think it's retarded.

All the morons dumping buckets over their head in 90 degree heat should you know, donate anyway, or volunteer.

Seriously, volunteer's done the right way can make a huge difference.  But that's America now, we love to use dead people for a cause, we just don't want to be around them when shit gets bad.

I'm not a total ass, I appreciate people helping, with money, or other ways.  I just thought the method, while successful cause most people are fucking idiots, used an approach that seems desperate.

Then again, I always had a soft spot for Jerry's kids, so maybe I'm the simpleton.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If people want to donate, donate.

Asking me to do the same retarded shit y'all do during the summer, when it's fucking winter here is fucking stupid.

Donate cause you feel for the cause, or don't.

Emotional blackmail/bullying is bullshit.

I had people challenge me when it was 92 degrees there and it was 38 here. Fuck off, I'll give money, but i'm not getting sick and missing out on work cause of a fuckin fad.
View Quote

Did something happen to all of the indoors in your country?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I shot an ice bucket with a registered MP5.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:54:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
After looking at the ice bucket fails, I wanna know how many neck injuries it caused
View Quote

That's going to be the next cause for the fundraising videos.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:06:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If people want to donate, donate.

Asking me to do the same retarded shit y'all do during the summer, when it's fucking winter here is fucking stupid.

Donate cause you feel for the cause, or don't.

Emotional blackmail/bullying is bullshit.

I had people challenge me when it was 92 degrees there and it was 38 here.  Fuck off, I'll give money, but i'm not getting sick and missing out on work cause of a fuckin fad.
View Quote

You're not going to get sick just because it's cold.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#39]
The Ice Bucket Challenge Led to a Major Breakthrough in ALS Research
ALS
Thanks to the ALS Association, the summer of 2014 will be forever associated with videos of people pouring freezing water over their heads. While some criticized the "Ice Bucket Challenge" as a classic example of "slacktivism," or just another annoying trend clogging their newsfeeds, the numbers can’t be denied: the challenge's 17 million participants ended up raising over $220 million for ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) research. The organization says it was likely the single largest episode of giving outside of a disaster event.

And now, one year later, scientists at Johns Hopkins are crediting a major breakthrough in ALS research to the viral fundraiser. According to researcher Jonathan Ling, the millions of dollars donated has given him and his colleagues the financial freedom to pursue “high risk, high reward” experiments. This time, their risks seem to have paid off.

The breakthrough discovery deals with the mysterious TDP-43, a protein that can be found clumped outside the nuclei of brain cells of patients with ALS. In a study published last week, the protein was found to break down in mice and become incapable of properly decoding the DNA it was meant to. This caused the cells to die within a few days.

When researchers then introduced a protein designed to mimic TDP-43 into the neurons, cells came back to life and were fully restored. This was an incredible breakthrough for the field, as treatment could have the potential to slow down or even stop effects of the disease, which is currently incurable.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#40]
It's simple, it raised money and it raised awareness (and was fun for a lot of people).....far more so than if it didn't exist.

All these people bitching about it, I bet didn't donate a single cent. Sad.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

All the morons dumping buckets over their head in 90 degree heat should you know, donate anyway, or volunteer.

Seriously, volunteer's done the right way can make a huge difference.  But that's America now, we love to use dead people for a cause, we just don't want to be around them when shit gets bad.

I'm not a total ass, I appreciate people helping, with money, or other ways.  I just thought the method, while successful cause most people are fucking idiots, used an approach that seems desperate.

Then again, I always had a soft spot for Jerry's kids, so maybe I'm the simpleton.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's your sign.

Because it works.

It's ok we know you're a fucking idiot.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top