Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Answer is Yes,
 anytime you ingest any substance into your body, as that substance leaves (lor is taken from) your body, it will show up in a test. Only question to remain is How Much will show up?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Depends on the test.

DOT testing to Federal standards have a limit set to rule out that kind of incidental exposure.  Not only is secondhand smoke an issue, but the infamous poppy seeds cause real problems too.

Bottom line is, with DOT tests the thresholds are set so high, that a positive test is definitely a positive test.

That's what I was told by my company doctor.  I asked specifically about the scenario of this thread, as I'm exposed to second hand smoke of that type (only very rarely) in the course of doing my job.  Enter the surprise whiz quiz.  

If you turn yourself in as a drug user they will pay for "treatment."  If you get caught in their random testing you are fired with no recourse or second chance.  

I am the one guy who didn't even smoke pot in high school--in the late '70s.  Honest.

You can imagine what a raging red-faced German they would have if they tried to fire me for inhaling some pot smoke in completely inadvertent fashion in the course of DOING MY JOB.  

The doc assured me it WOULD register, but they had set the threshold high enough you would have to "smoke it or eat it" in order for it to count.  This did not inspire confidence, but a dozen years later I'm still on the job.  

Typically the cutoff is set at 50ng/ml. That is 50 nanagrams per mililitre and if you have 49ng you are clean but 51ng and you are dirty. IIRC there was an un-affiliated department that set there C/O @ 25ng/ml and half of their street guys popped dirty on the next random. They then had the county come in and help them set up a realistic substance abuse prevention program and gave backpay to all the guys who had been automatically suspended pending the results of a second UA given by the county.
I used to know all the different C/O levels for the standard tests but, alas the memory fails.
I do know that if you are on the street in a high traffic drug area you are very likely run a canebinoid(thc) count between 22ng/ml and 35ng/ml (Average numbers for LEO casual exposure)
So the answer is
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:33:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Most piss tests will have a margin of error just slightly above a polygraph test.

Contact exposure shouldn't show up, but literally anything is possible on those tests.
oh so flip a coin and guess
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A piss test = no.

A hair test = yes.

This is normally what I see.

Hair tests get all kinds of folks in trouble.

Urine tests not so much.

Same goes for saliva which IMHO at this time is even less accurate than a urine screen.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone said they couldn't remember the cutoffs for different chemicals.  I believe this list is up to date.

Substance Initial Test Cut Off Levels (ng/ml)

Marijuana Metabolites 50
Cocaine Metabolites 300
Opiate Metabolites 300
Phencyclidine    25
Amphetamines 1,000

Substance Confirmatory Test Cut Off Levels (ng/ml)

Marijuana Metabolites 15
Cocaine Metabolites 150
Opiates:
Morphine     300
Codeine             300
Phencyclidine            25
Amphetamines:
Amphetamine 500
Methamphetamine      500
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I went to a concert a couple months ago. I was freaking out cause some dude was smoking weed near me. I've never touched the stuff, and I don't want too either, but I do know what it smells like. Amazingly, I never actually saw the guy doing it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Doing it once is experimental, maybe even twice.

But 259 times?   Sorry.

259 times!?! Is that on a per day basis?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I doubt it.

That said... I lived in a dorm room for a year that absolutely REEKED of Pot.  The whole building did.  (Hadn't been renovated, ever, and was about 30 years old.  The next year they renovated it and I'm told it doesn't smell of pot anymore, but they tore a huge chunk of the drywall out to get rid of the smell.)

We had a 'Plug ins' air freshener, the biggest one they had.  3 of them, actually.  They were supposed to cover 500 sq ft, IIRC, and we had 3 of them in less that 300 sq. ft. (4 people).  And you could STILL smell the pot when one of them needed a new cartridge.  And none of the 4 of us touched the stuff, so WE weren't adding anything to the system.  I'm sure other rooms were, but we weren't.

If ANYTHING would have caused a false positive, living there would have.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
As I understand it - unless you are REALLY huffing it - no.

This is my understanding as well.

Simply passing through, or hanging out for a few minutes won't matter much.

If you actively attempt to inhale as much as you can, or join in on the fun...well, duh.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#11]
OK, If your in a room or car with pot smoke then you can get a "contact buzz". So how would that not show up on a drug test? If its enough to cause you to feel funny then its enough to show up on a test.

LOL...This thread reminds me about this guy we have in my MP Company. They pop a piss test on us , close the door and say start drinking water. Then this guy has somehow made his way through the kitchen and is hanging out the back door vomiting. I say right away that it was because he was drinking something strange trying to pass the test or was just that nervous because he does drugs. Well, sure enough he fails the test and is now AWOL.....what an idiot.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to travel in this thing.  If you had lived in it, I bet it would prove you wrong, or come close.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OK, If your in a room or car with pot smoke then you can get a "contact buzz". So how would that not show up on a drug test? If its enough to cause you to feel funny then its enough to show up on a test.

Because a "contact buzz" only affects the mind.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I used to travel in this thing.  If you had lived in it, I bet it would prove you wrong, or come close.  

shanoogie.com/personal/Me/busunsaved_82k.jpg

That was my concern with my dorm room.  It wasn't the level of contact, it was the length.  I literally lived in pot-ville.

I'd think minor exposure over long time could 'build up' in the system.  Enough to cause a positive test?  Don't know.  The University didn't drug test for student jobs.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes...it can and does shoow up on tests.  Think about second hand smoke for just a normal smoke?  why would you even want to hang out with someone who does smoke dope anyway??
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top