BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Chicks dig ACOGS

I have gotten so much ass with my ACOG that it's not even funny anymore.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I love my ACOG except for it makes everything look really far away.

http://members.roadfly.com/Agent7/acog_ar15_b.jpg

That's a GOCA.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Chicks dig ACOGS

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Chicks dig ACOGS

Didnt you get rid of your TA33?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Consider an accupoint.  I love my 1x-4x.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Chicks dig ACOGS

Us straight guys prefer to get the pie with our ACOG's
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chicks dig ACOGS

Didnt you get rid of your TA33?

One of my two, yes.  I'm getting a TA31F soon too, can't wait.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm never really happy until I get exactly what I want.  If I wanted an ACOG, I'd get it.  
Whoever bought one: I understand.
Whoever wants one: find a way.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
There was a Marine who had his ACOG stop a bullet-that was a bargain for us taxpayers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a TA31F attached by a LaRue 4XDOS mount on my CMMG midlength. It has great clarity and just the right amount of magnification. I like not having to worry about batteries, and I love the chevron sight.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Sure.

An ACOG costs the same as a full case of .308.

One is expendable and will someday get cheaper, the other lasts forever.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Price is not really a concern if its something you want. I need something to go with my new pvs14
. I was thinking eotech.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Chicks dig ACOGS

That is all the reason any man needs.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#15]
For shooting mini-poppers it might be expensive.  For positively identifying your target at long ranges(see 4yr old insurgent thread) and it's ability to take a serious beating, it's worth it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#16]
They kick ass. No batteries. Decent magnification. Bullet drop comp. Fast. accurate. tough as a coffin nail. Warrenty. Resale value.

When I was in the green weenie I knew people who made 800 meter kills with a rack grade M-16 and acog. I used my stick with good effect. It saved my ass if that is enough of a product endorsement.

Its really not expensive when you figure in the cost of ammo and training expenses.

I'm an old fashioned irons guy but it has its place if you feel the need for one.

Good kit. Buy one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I grabbed my RCO for $700. I bought it now on ebay for $1000 had paypal 10% off up to $100 dollars which knocked it down to $900 and then paypals 20% off for another $200.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd probably just get a Trijicon Reflex.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I brought my personal TA31F (Issued an Aimpoint M4) to Iraq with me, its really good for identifying objects on the road we suspect could blow us up.

Some asshole we had riding in the back of our Caiman snagged my weapon and dragged it out, it dropped a good five feet into mud. Dented the fiber optic up top but it still held zero.

I've got a build I'm making as a welcome-home present to myself in the works and you can bet your ass it will have an ACOG as its optic (when I can afford it, got car payments and a baby to take care of first).
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I have never regretted buying one, that is why I have three. I bought a USO 1-4, and like the  acog better. Now what to do with the USO?

Look through one at night, imagine a cat next to your neighbors house in the vicinity of a streetlight, that should be enough to sell you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I really want a TA31-RCO for my A4Gery. The only problem is for the price of the RCO or ECOS, I could buy another fucking rifle or two!

What you can do with an $500-$1800 ACOG, I can do with an aimpoint or EOTech.

I can make mini-popper shots all day out to 650 yards out of a 20" A4gery and an EOTech.

I want an RCO as much as the next guy but I can't get over the price.

Does anyone see it going down? Suggestions?  

1) 20" m4gery?
2) then no i cant justify if your eyes are good enough and you can compensate well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd probably just get a Trijicon Reflex.

Got one on a DPMS Panther lite.....love it.
But it's definitely not the ideal choice for shots out past 200 or so yards.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#24]
An ACOG is a tool just like Aimpoints and Eotechs. Use the right tool for the job and hand.

I have a TA31F and TA01NSN plus two Aimpoints. I like them all but engagement distance would dictate which one I grab.

Get Both!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought TWO of them when I was deployed. They seemed cheap at the time. I bought a 3rd now that Im out. That one hurt a little bit but value is in the eye of the beholder.

They are inexpensive compared to the Short-Dot I bought, too. The Short-Dot is probably the best money Ive spent on guns so far even with its price-tag. Uppers are comparitively a dime a dozen....only a few optics are really worth their price. Aimpoints, ACOGs, and top end glass are worth their weight PROVIDED you actually use them. For 95% of AR15's that barely get shot  or are just there to look pretty in a picture...no they are not worth it. Ive never felt like I got "taken" on a high end piece of glass but then again I put quite a few rounds through my guns. 1100 for an optic is CHEAP when a case of ammo these days is $500+ from many places. I could go through 2k rounds in a full day of shooting, or have an optic to last me and my kids their entire lives....
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I have one.
I bought it about five years ago. It didn't cost nearly as much as they do now but knowing what I would do now I might buy one again.

I don't get the whole idea of comparing the cost of an ACOG vs. that of a rifle. You can buy all the rifles you want and you still won't own one with an ACOG on it unless you buy one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Got a good deal on one when the live.com deals were going on last year. Got two actually and sold one, kept the other.
The battery life is great, and I hear they have great customer service. It seems pretty durable too.
If you like it more than the other options then buy one, that justifies it enough for me and that's why I got one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I plan to get one for the current AR-15 build I am working on. The logic I had was, originally I had wanted to get and EoTech Red dot and a pair of folding battle sights from Troy. When Troy started selling the Tritium battle sight I thought why not. Reasoning, the red dot may lose power(i.e. dead battery) and I would need a back up and the tritium would do it. However Troy will not replace the tritium when half-life has been reached, so that means buy another set. So red dot on the low end is $550.00, Tritium Battle sights are about 330.00 for the pair, and batteries over the life or the red dot.

Now the ACOG I want on the low end is about 890.00. Trijicon also has a refurbishment plan, where by you can send your ACOG in and for about 250.00 they replace the Tritium Prism. Now since they have to remove virtually everything to do so you get all new guts for your ACOG. So I don't need batteries and for the same price of replacing the Troy Tritium Battle sights I basically get a whole new ACOG.

I figured that over the life of the EoTech sight group I had planed verses the ACOG sight group, in the long run I save more on the ACOG.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#29]
the price of ACOGs went up after the military contract right?

also I thought the first generation wasn't as sophisticated either.

either way I would probably buy them used, or knock off versions, i don't plan on needing the ruggedness of them mixed with the self illuminating auto adjusting brightness stuff, and i'm fine with using batteries instead.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Don't hurt yourself

Quoted:
Quoted:
ACOGs are cheap.

Try looking at the recept for one of thesehttp://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL965/4056977/8434974/332751180.jpg

Quit being cheap and get what you want

FREE

Can you post a couple rear shots maybe a couple from the other side one from the front?

I'll only need a few minutes.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought a used TA31RCO-M4CP that looked like it'd never been touched, for $650.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#32]
When I get the money I'm going after an TA01-NSN with a Doc sight on it. Then I'm going to remove and relocate the Doc sight to an offsight mount.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I really want a TA31-RCO for my A4Gery. The only problem is for the price of the RCO or ECOS, I could buy another fucking rifle or two!

What you can do with an $500-$1800 ACOG, I can do with an aimpoint or EOTech.

I can make mini-popper shots all day out to 650 yards out of a 20" A4gery and an EOTech.

I want an RCO as much as the next guy but I can't get over the price.

Does anyone see it going down? Suggestions?
You better lay off that bong at school kid. I'd like to see that. So just how big is that Red dot on a 650 Yd target? 3 times as big, as the target?

Sure you aren't talking about one of your Airsoft toys, and 65 FEET???
Everyone here knows you are a college kid with no real world experience. 650 yards with a M4 is a good REAL shot with a scope. I'd like to see that with an EoTech. I live out in the country. I shoot on my own property. I KNOW what 650 yards looks like through a 0 magnification optic, and what it looks like at 10x.Like I said,Like to see you do it!!

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

But how loud is it?

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a ACOG TA-01 for sale for $650.  Thats a bargain today.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But how loud is it?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/stupid/dde9217e.jpg

That is real SWEET!!

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Yup, im gonna have to go with the idea that ammo is expendable, but is a $3000 FN2000 worth it? It is considering you can resell it for almost what you paid for it, and if you hold onto it you might get more for it, being banned and all. The Acogs initial cost sucks but you will either have it forever or sell it for at least half or 2/3rds what you originally paid for it. Can you say the same about ammo or targets or range fees?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Numerous Short dot or 1-4x scopes cost as much if not more. I don't see what the problem is.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I bought TWO of them when I was deployed. They seemed cheap at the time. I bought a 3rd now that Im out. That one hurt a little bit but value is in the eye of the beholder.

They are inexpensive compared to the Short-Dot I bought, too. The Short-Dot is probably the best money Ive spent on guns so far even with its price-tag. Uppers are comparitively a dime a dozen....only a few optics are really worth their price. Aimpoints, ACOGs, and top end glass are worth their weight PROVIDED you actually use them. For 95% of AR15's that barely get shot  or are just there to look pretty in a picture...no they are not worth it. Ive never felt like I got "taken" on a high end piece of glass but then again I put quite a few rounds through my guns. 1100 for an optic is CHEAP when a case of ammo these days is $500+ from many places. I could go through 2k rounds in a full day of shooting, or have an optic to last me and my kids their entire lives....

This! All top end glass is worth what you pay for it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL965/4056977/12946540/318493454.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL965/4056977/12946540/318493457.jpg

Don't hurt yourself

Quoted:
Quoted:
ACOGs are cheap.

Try looking at the recept for one of thesehttp://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL965/4056977/8434974/332751180.jpg

Quit being cheap and get what you want

FREE

Can you post a couple rear shots maybe a couple from the other side one from the front?

I'll only need a few minutes.  

Ok....Time for a nap.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Mine was $xxx at a gun show, a guy needed some quick cash.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This! All top end glass is worth what you pay for it.

Eh Ive always just believed a rifle is only as good as the piece of glass that is on it. I just dont understand the people that spend all this money on the gun, ammo, magazines, rails, lights, et cetera, and then put a cheap piece of glass on top. Id rather have a 'kiss' carbine with an ACOG or Aimpoint than a 'tricked out' carbine with a Barska red dot.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#43]
The reasons for paying for an ACOG are:

Extremely rugged design, no fancy bells and whistle or knobs to break
Ranging stadia on the reticle to make extremely fast hits at long distance, without having to know the distance or make elevation adjustments to be on target
VERY brightly lit reticle, even when it's too dark to identify a target
No batteries to die, leak, fail, or recharge
Round batteries are on the way out-your Eotech will still be around in 15-20 years, but will you be able to buy CR123's or AA's?
Even if the tritium leaks out or dies and Trijicon is out of business, you still have a kick ass day optic with enough light gathering ability in the reticle brightness to aim when it's so dark you don't know who you are shooting at.

Like all of Trijicon's stuff, they just plain work. It is worth noting that not all of the ACOGs cost $1200. I paid $750 for my TA33m which I like better than my TA31F. It does everything the bigger ones do but only ranges out to 600 meters. Honestly I can't see shooting a .223 that far at anyone so it's not an issue for me.

Someone mentioned the new Reflex 42mm sights.... I really like the old ones and got to finger fuck the new one a few weeks ago. It is a huge improvement over the old one. Much larger FOV and the reticle is as bright indoors as the earlier on is outdoors. Ima' have me one really soon.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Yea.
I could .
Aimpoints don't float my boat .
The Eotech recticle drives me up the wall .
The Acog seemed to be the optic for me .
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:04:33 AM EDT
[#45]
I've got two.

Once you try one at KD's on live targets (pigs) you'll never go back.

So far they REALLY shine past 400 yards or so.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:07:09 AM EDT
[#46]
I think you'll like the magnification and no batteries thing.

Doubt this will be useful to you (at least one hopes it won't be) but my room mate ran over his with his truck. It now has a scratch on it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:10:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Justify?

You don't need one.

A few years back, I did not need one either. However, as we age, our eyes don't get better. Once I turned 43, I needed reading glasses. As I got older still, I discovered that distance vision was not 100% perfect either, (20/40 now). It has to do with the actual size of the eye and the point of focus internally. Very few people actually have "perfect" eyes. Many people with excellent vision "accommodate" just a touch by the eye muscles bringing everything into focus.

For me, optics are now a must. I can't bring both near and far objects into focus quickly enough. I can do it, but it takes time.

An ACOG is a wonderful optic, clear, bright and easy to use. I wonder why an ACOG is used by the military? Maybe it's because it works well with a large group of indiviuals, all of whom have different eye issues. It's also compact and tough.

For me, there is nothing better than an ACOG.

Franklin
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:12:51 AM EDT
[#48]
After reading the thread, I realize that this is indeed GD.    How many people buy a Ruger M77 for $600.00 and stick a Zeiss on top that they paid $1000.00 + for?

All of my bolt guns wear Leupolds.  Two AR's wear ACOGS.    So what?  That doesn't mean I'm wealthy.  It means I like good glass on rifles that I trust.

Piss on the naysayers.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:24:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
http://www.vaq34.com/junk/16inchmiddy01.jpg
Mine was $xxx at a gun show, a guy needed some quick cash.

You bought an ACOG with hugs!!  Fucking awesome dude

XOXOXOXO
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:26:11 AM EDT
[#50]
I had one and sold it.  I still wish I had kept it.  

Oh yeah, if the guy I sold it to happenes to post on here, I found the case for it, send me an IM (with SN so I can make sure it's the right one) and I will send it to you.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top