BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I've shot a bow exactly once. A compound bow that a relative owned, it was at least 15 years ago.

Now I'm interested in getting a recurve bow for no good reason whatsoever, just another hobby to pick up. Is it possible to watch youtube videos and teach myself to shoot it correctly and well? Part of me wants to think it would be more nuanced than say rifle or handgun just because your body controls more variables with the draw, release, etc. But is that taught or just picked up from practice?  I've read enough to measure my wingspan and get my bow size, draw length, etc.

There is apparently a national-competition-level instructor near me, but I can't justify the cost of a few lessons for what will be an idle pass time.

My range has an archery area with 3d targets and I could park a box target in the backyard easily. Buy a Samick Sage and go or it? Or take lessons and learn the right way to do it?

View Quote

Recently, I bought my 1st bow.. It was about a 750.00+ Bear Bow package deal...

I went from not being able to hit a hay bale to being able to put 6 arrows in a pie plate in one day...

I'm not confident enough to make a kill shot on a deer or anything moving at this point... Maybe next year...

Practice, Practice...  Also, make sure your bow is sighted in correctly and you are holding consistently or you're wasting your time...

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top