BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate the fucking things.  It's the only kind of snake that has ever been aggressive towards me.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back away.

Then, run.

Those guys are real assholes - they are like the Wasp of the reptile world

this dude knows.
listen.
I hate the fucking things.  It's the only kind of snake that has ever been aggressive towards me.  

you ever been tube fishing?
those bastards here will swim 30 yards - fast. when you get close to their territory.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do you live in east texas?
View Quote

Dickinson/Texas city
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Kill every one you see, all other snakes are ok.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
An easy way to tell is to gently tug the tail. You see water snakes, the harmless kind, will just try to slither away even as you hold the tail. A moccasin though will turn and try to strike.

I'd suggest going and giving his tail a gentle, friendly tug and see what happens. That will reveal what type of snake it is.

Note kids shouldnt try this, they get a bit too excited and can pull too hard on the tail. Tis causes the snake to detach its tail!
View Quote

That is no common Texas water snake.
In the water a moccasin, will move rather slowly and deliberately through the water, usually with only the head exposed trolling for prey or a mate.
Common non-venomous dark brown water snakes frequently squiggle through the water with the tops of their bodies exposed to the surface.
They have always sort of given me the creeps, and came be very aggressive in the spring when they begin to breed up.
I have seen one female breeding up with several males at one time looking like that they are all tied up in a big knot.
I  killed some in that state one time with a 12 ga. shotgun leaving a bloody slick in the water after they submerged.
Like I said, don't like anything about them.
Also beat a large cotton-mouth that was hanging vertical out of a possum-grape bush on the waters edge another time with a Jon boat paddle, and then shot him several times after that with a Browning semi-auto 22. rifle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/zackmarrs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150828_110819_zpssoeyxidq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah77/zackmarrs/Mobile%20Uploads/20150828_110819_zpssoeyxidq.jpg</a>

What kind of snake is this?

Sorry for the potato pic
View Quote

Cottonmouth, aka Water Moccasin.

Venomous and aggressive.

Apply a generous dose of fire,
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

those bastards here will swim 30 yards - fast. when you get close to their territory.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back away.

Then, run.

this dude knows.

listen.

Yes as a matter of fact I have, but I never had one attack me while I was doing it.  My brushes with them were all while I was either bank/dock fishing, or fishing from a boat.

I had one get half of its body inside a wire fish basket full of crappie that was hanging from the side of a dock one time.  It was after dark and I actually touched it with my hand. Luckily for me, the business end was inside the basket when I reached down to put a fish in it.  To say that I almost shit myself is an understatement.  I stopped shooting at 8 rounds of 9mm, but only because that's all I had with me.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#7]
That is a cotton mouth aka, water moccasin.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Eagle's 6 and 27    operation stop bite is a go.        you are clear to make your bombing run ...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Run don't walk, run. They will bite you in the ass, literally, 6 viles of anti vinom and 20k. I have pictires somewhere of my butt cheek, it wasn't pretty.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Its a cotton mouth.

"Dont start nothin, won't be nothin"

Leave him be and he will go on his way and continue doing his part keeping the local mice and rats in check.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Run don't walk, run. They will bite you in the ass, literally, 6 viles of anti vinom and 20k. I have pictires somewhere of my butt cheek, it wasn't pretty.
View Quote

There is a story behind that statement. Share the story - not the pictures.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the buttOCKS.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Cottonmouths are really dumb snakes and they have shitty eyesight.  They have an inherent panick button, but are often incapable of figuring out where the "threat" is.  I've seen rattlesnakes being kind of dumb and clumsy, but cottonmouths are just straight stupid and kind of flying blind.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#14]
i would shit my self if i saw that at my house
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Cotton mouth......snake with bad attitude
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Its a lil one next to this guy found in East Texas:
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Shoulda caught it. They make great pets
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Teeners

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Its a lil one next to this guy found in East Texas:http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/captwoodrow10/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1678.jpg
View Quote
Holy shit.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, I bet it wasn't all that pretty before you got nipped either.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He definitely looks well fed!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a water moccasin to me, be careful those things are territorial.  

A healthy one at that  

More likely pregnant and ready to give birth.  OP needs to kill it before there are a hundred little ones released into the world.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

More likely pregnant and ready to give birth.  OP needs to kill it before there are a hundred little ones released into the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a water moccasin to me, be careful those things are territorial.  

A healthy one at that  

I wish i could
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Its a lil one next to this guy found in East Texas:http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/captwoodrow10/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1678.jpg
View Quote

NOPE

NOPENOPENOPENOPE
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back away.

Then, run.

this dude knows.
listen.

And the only snake I'll kill as soon as look at. Everything else gets a free pass.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
Badass forced-perspective water snake bro.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/zackmarrs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150828_110819_zpssoeyxidq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah77/zackmarrs/Mobile%20Uploads/20150828_110819_zpssoeyxidq.jpg</a>

What kind of snake is this?

Sorry for the potato pic
View Quote

It's a water moccasin/cotton mouth.  Unlike what others are saying, leave it alone and it will leave you alone.  They are not aggressive, they are defensive.  Just stay away from it and you'll be fine.  It's not going to chase you and it doesn't want a confrontation with you.  To it, you are Godzilla.  It wants nothing to do with you at all.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Fire your weapon until slide lock, then hurl the empty weapon at the carcass, all the while screaming as loud as you can. Then run away fast. And keep screaming as you run.

That's what I'd do anyway.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is held towards the camera a bit, but it measured just over 5 feet long. (Not me in the pic. It's the son of a business owner that my father knows. He sent me the pic via email last week.)
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#29]
looks friendly and well fed. try cuddling.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#30]
The kind I sure as shit do not worry about anymore.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Where the pic of the dead snake?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Cottonmouth.

View Quote

Yep. That fat short body. Fucking hate those irritable Bastards.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Water headed rattle moccasin.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Cottonmouth.

View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can tell by the tail that it hasn't been expired for very long either.
I have lived in an area of east Texas that looked just like the area in the picture.
Can't say that I ever saw one that long or large like that one.
Used to go fishing under a bridge on the Neches River at a place called White Rock Creek.
Sometimes they were thick as thieves under the bridge at night when we were cat-fishing under a three quarters moon.
I have literally stepped by and over them, sometimes with dozens laying all around as they warmed themselves on the concrete underneath as I learned how to do this semi-safely from my cousin who was a born and raised east Texas piney woods rooter.
Now though, I have the attitude of what in the world was I thinking?
I can remember the first time that I ever did it with fishing pole in one hand and tackle box in the other, my cousin said, "Don't think or worry about it Jimmie Lee. If you think too hard about it, your liable to get bit by one for sure. Then their all going to bite you. Don't rattle your tackle box. They don't like that shit either!"

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
An easy way to tell is to gently tug the tail. You see water snakes, the harmless kind, will just try to slither away even as you hold the tail. A moccasin though will turn and try to strike.

I'd suggest going and giving his tail a gentle, friendly tug and see what happens. That will reveal what type of snake it is.

Note kids shouldnt try this, they get a bit too excited and can pull too hard on the tail. Tis causes the snake to detach its tail!
View Quote

Next you will be telling me selfies with rattlesnakes are a grand idea.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#37]
The  ONLY snake I kill on sight.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
Could be a Diamond-Backed Water snake (same basic shape/build/color as a cottonmouth, but non-venomous) but the shape of the head screams "Cottonmouth."

How close to water were you?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Copperheadedwaterrattler. .
View Quote

Definitely a moccasin-headed, cotton-eyed, copper-mouth.

Saw Steve Irwin wrastle one on TV
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Copperheads. Timber Rattlers and Water Moccasin all have standing orders to be shot on sight. All others get a pass

Round of choice is this:

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
It is held towards the camera a bit, but it measured just over 5 feet long. (Not me in the pic. It's the son of a business owner that my father knows. He sent me the pic via email last week.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just giving you a little crap.  It isn't just a water snake either, as I am sure you know.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just giving you a little crap.  It isn't just a water snake either, as I am sure you know.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries man. I just didn't want some city slicker thinking the next big snake was harmless, as that seems to happen alot. I subscribe to the "dangerous until proven otherwise" philosophy when it comes to big snakes.

For anyone interested, the snake was killed near Livingston Texas in an area called Big Thicket.... So watch your feet over there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Could be a Diamond-Backed Water snake (same basic shape/build/color as a cottonmouth, but non-venomous) but the shape of the head screams "Cottonmouth."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Maybe 20 feet?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:24:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cottonmouth.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:32:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Come one man, who here hasn't wrestled with a water moccasin with only a knife, you got this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the help guys, i thought it was a moccasin, bit wasn't sure

Is it dead yet?

I was riding my bike, and only had a knife

I'm not that stupid.

Come one man, who here hasn't wrestled with a water moccasin with only a knife, you got this.

Leave alone or lift with a 3 foot stick to move it out of the way. They're not spitting cobras.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Water Moccasin.

If I'm hunting with dogs, that snake is dead.

Hiking around for fun, let it be.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:41:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Water Moccasin.

If I'm hunting with dogs, that snake is dead.

Hiking around for fun, let it be its still dead.
View Quote
FIFY

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top