BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know plenty of people who have driven to the next state over to visit the Cabelas. No one drives long-distance to visit a fucking Bass Pro. Bass Pro sucks.

ETA: Gun Library. Nothing more needs to be said.
View Quote

Not a single day goes by that our local Bass Pro doesnt have visitors from out of state.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Cabelas right up the road from my house and I love it. I can often find ammo for the same price as online after shipping is added and I don't have to wait for it to arrive.

I have also found great deals in their used guns.

I have been to Bass Pro and their prices are higher.

Shit, my Cabelas has 350 round boxes of 22lr stacked deep for $21 a pop! 22lr! Stacked DEEP!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quality of the crap in most Bass Pro shops is probably why it is cheaper.  Last time I purchased something at a bass pro, I had to drive 120 miles back to return it because someone had opened the package and played with it (putting in a digital lock code that could not be removed without sending it back to the manufacturer).  Tried calling the store and the manager was a jack ass.  Ended up returning to a different bass pro - but honestestly they lost a customer for a long time on that little adventure.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never really got the point of Cabela's or Bass Pro, everything they carry can be found cheaper online somewhere.

Then again, I feel this way about most physical stores.
View Quote

When Cabela's has stuff on sale, it's good. Fiocci 9 was $11/box last week.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Buda Tx store is not BR hostile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought this happened a year ago.  We just got our first Cabela's a little while ago and there are no Bass Pro Shops nearby.  Cabelas has terrible prices. Is Bass Pro Shops better at retail sporting goods?
nope

and they are black rifle hostile .  

The Buda Tx store is not BR hostile.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never really got the point of Cabela's or Bass Pro, everything they carry can be found cheaper online somewhere.

IMI has also been on sale at Cabelas recently. Been stocking up on the OTMs since no one else seems to buy them.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Can anyone tell me how the hell they stay in business?    Either one.

Look at the amount of floor space vs. the amount of buying going on, vs. any Costco, Sams, or grocery store.  

It just doesn't make add up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#9]
We just got both of them within 6 months of each other and only 5 miles separates them. However they are separated by the state line. Not sure how it'll affect our new cabellas.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#10]
As a Cabelas Gun Library employee, I can promise you the employees will be the absolute last people to know.

For example , they just recently changed the whole bound book/ firearms inventory system. (You know the computer program one can look up inventory and prices and record A&D for ATF compliance). And you know when the employees knew anything? The day we come to work and try to buy and sell guns, that's when. It disrupted business. Who does something that stupid?

There has been some corporate restructuring of management. Who knows if that's related.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Ironically, I've made two different posts in the last 2-3 days about how shitty Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops are with regards to their pricing.

As shitty as Cabelas is, Bass Pro Shops is even worse.  They are horrendous.  

Sportsman's Warehouse FTMFW.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sidney has been booming, Cabelas built a second corporate HQ, just moved into it.  Applebyes just opened, 2 more hotels almost completed, Loves will open this summer.  The total collapse of Sidney will be epic as the town has been taxing and spending like crazy, new hospital, new roads and sidewalks all over.  Going to be ugly and effect all communities within 60 miles.  Menards was looking at building in Sidney.

I hope it doesn't happen.
View Quote

There are communities within 60 miles of Sidney?  

But really, it'll suck for Sidney if Cabela's gets bought out.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is all about an "activist investor" (aka corporate raider) looking to make a quick profit.  I'm all for capitalism, but chopping up a company that will make money and jobs tomorrow simply for a quick profit today irks me.  I guess that's what happens when you are publicly traded.

View Quote

I hate that too, the other edge of the sword.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#14]
The M&A fucks at these banks need a slap in the face from club .fed

It's an endless pursuit of a paycheck. Wrecking one industry at a time. Wonder why it costs $500 to fly domestic now? M&A douchbags.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't see how two companies that large can have stores in every town (and in some cases more than one) that sell almost the same exact thing when a lot of stuff outside of the just guns gets ordered off the net nowdays.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Has Cabelas ever had a good deal on something that wasn't complete garbage?
"Oh Look Barska scope for $45 !!"  

I've never bought anything their other than ammo when its "on sale" i.e. the same price everyone else sells it at.

View Quote

The bargain cave usually has good deals on a lot of stuff

Just got a simms sling pack for $20 off with free shipping.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#17]
This pisses me off.  Currently I buy most of my stuff from Cabelas with my Cabelas Visa at lower prices than Basspro plus usually free shipping and no Tn sales tax.  Basspro always rapes me on all three and their shipping is slow.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sidney has been booming, Cabelas built a second corporate HQ, just moved into it.  Applebyes just opened, 2 more hotels almost completed, Loves will open this summer.  The total collapse of Sidney will be epic as the town has been taxing and spending like crazy, new hospital, new roads and sidewalks all over.  Going to be ugly and effect all communities within 60 miles.  Menards was looking at building in Sidney.

Between Cabela's and the complete collapse in rail traffic, the panhandle may be in for a shitty decade.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#19]
hah! BPS FTW!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Bass Pro for fishing shit...

Cabelas for hunting & camping shit...

Neither for guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:38:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Let's all pitch in and buy it.   I'm in for $7

Bass Pro has some decent priced random stuff but their ammo is horrendous.    Cabela's pricing is a bit better.    I wouldn't want to see Cabela's go.    

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I thought this happened a year ago.  We just got our first Cabela's a little while ago and there are no Bass Pro Shops nearby.  Cabelas has terrible prices.  Is Bass Pro Shops better at retail sporting goods?
View Quote

lol
No
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:43:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Cruz's wife buying Cabelas?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:53:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Cabelas just opened a store in Short Pump a few weeks ago. I'm looking forward to making the trip up I-64 to check it out.

Our local Bass Walmart in Hampton sucks.

We also just got an REI at Pembroke Mall in VB that I want to check out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:03:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
How upscale. I grew up right down the street from Pembroke and went to school at Princess Anne High as well as at the mall. Graduated in 2000 and left for WA soon after.

There was a classroom space next to Stein Mart that hosted junior and seniors from around the district for retail operations and management classes. I spent two years learning to be a retail drone, the nitty gritty of being a mall manager, and perfecting my gift wrapping skills during the Christmas season.

Could never in a million years ever imagine Pembroke getting a REI. Very fond memories of hanging out at Space Port, getting to poke around the closed down Woolworths and throwing rocks from the roof.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:43:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow! I didn't realize Sidney was growing like that! But it would be disastrous not only for the town but the whole region if Cabela's closed down.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:44:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
nope

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought this happened a year ago.  We just got our first Cabela's a little while ago and there are no Bass Pro Shops nearby.  Cabelas has terrible prices.  Is Bass Pro Shops better at retail sporting goods?
nope

Which Cabela's is not.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:02:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I hope no one buys them out.  

Cabela's has great quality stuff and I like it much better than Bass Pro or Gander Mountain.
View Quote

This.  Bass Pro sucks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:15:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Cabelas sucks in some ways, but Bass Pro sucks in every way, all day long.  Hopefully this doesn't go thorugh.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:57:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The one by me has lots of ARs in the store, and the website has 5 pages of accessories.

http://www.cabelas.com/category/AR-15-Parts-Accessories/104190480.uts
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
nope
and they are black rifle hostile

The one by me has lots of ARs in the store, and the website has 5 pages of accessories.

I was in the new one in League City TX Friday.  They had a rack of AK's and loads of AR's.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:01:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I've got about $600 in merchandise credit built up.  I'd better use it soon because I'm thinking I'll be screwed by a takeover.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
nope
and they are black rifle hostile

He was referring to bass pro, not cabelas.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
nope

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nope

Not the one in Harrisburg, Pa.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I've never been in either store.  Closest one is a BP that is 2+ hrs away.  

I've been wanting to drive down there lately, as I need to get some Goex black powder, and I hear they are the closest place that carries it
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I hope not as I like Cabela's a lot.  They have a great selection of black powder pistol stuff and appear to be way cheaper than Bass Pro.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Supposedly, there is a Cabela's going in near me. We already have one in Dundee, MI.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Cabelas just opened a store in Short Pump a few weeks ago. I'm looking forward to making the trip up I-64 to check it out.

View Quote

Don't hold your breath for something spectacular.  It's nice, but smaller than i thought it would be.  Not as big as your BP in Hampton.   Gun selection not all that great, Optics selection actually pretty damn good, although the prices, as with all retail stores, is underwhelming.

The gun library prices are retarded, BUT they do have some really nice stuff, so if there was something you've been wanting forever and they happen to have it.....

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Cabelas hands down has 5x the ammo selection of bass pro, at least around here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We just got both of them within 6 months of each other and only 5 miles separates them. However they are separated by the state line. Not sure how it'll affect our new cabellas.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat, on the VA side.  I prefer the Cabela's myself.  The sales tax difference alone is worth it.  Also, as the Pinnacle continues to grow the traffic on that boulevard is only going to get worse and Bass Pro is at the very end making it very inconvenient to drive to.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It depends.  Cabela's has good sales periodically.  A few weeks ago, they had 20% off all Hornady and extreme bullets, Winchester primers for $26, etc.  They had common gunpowders marked $20-23 per lb,  Compare that to Bass Pro, where a pound of powder or 1K primers runs $40.

On top of that, Cabela's is always sending me coupons via email or text for $20 off a $100 purchase.  If you keep an eye on the Bargain Cave, you can find deals periodically as well.

If Bass Pro buys them out, I won't have a reason to step foot in their store again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm assuming you are talking about the Cabela's in Ringold, GA vs the Bass Pro across the TN state line.  Bass Pro is wasting their time IMO.  Cabelas is next to Costco, which is a huge plus, they have lower overall prices on merchandise, and GA state sales tax is significantly lower than TN's.  I don't think that move was well thought out by Bass Pro corporate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cabelas is so much better than Bass Pro in every single category. Pricing included(not that Cabelas is cheap). You can find deals at Cabelas. Bass Pro, not so much unless you need a mesh trucker hat or a 2 for 1 meal at their shitty restaurant.  

Cabelas in-house gear is superior to Bass Pro shit and in some cases, better than some of the name brand shit. I will be pissed if Bass Pro buys Cabelas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cabelas is so much better than Bass Pro in every single category. Pricing included(not that Cabelas is cheap). You can find deals at Cabelas. Bass Pro, not so much unless you need a mesh trucker hat or a 2 for 1 meal at their shitty restaurant.  

Cabelas in-house gear is superior to Bass Pro shit and in some cases, better than some of the name brand shit. I will be pissed if Bass Pro buys Cabelas.

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Everything about Bass Pro sucks
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm assuming you are talking about the Cabela's in Ringold, GA vs the Bass Pro across the TN state line.  Bass Pro is wasting their time IMO.  Cabelas is next to Costco, which is a huge plus, they have lower overall prices on merchandise, and GA state sales tax is significantly lower than TN's.  I don't think that move was well thought out by Bass Pro corporate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting...I thought he was talking about the Bass Pro in Bristol, TN versus the Cabela's in Bristol, VA.  Seems like an eerily similar situation.  I wonder if retailers close to state lines take sales tax into account.  It seems as though Bass Pro has struck out twice in that regard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Don't hold your breath for something spectacular.  It's nice, but smaller than i thought it would be.  Not as big as your BP in Hampton.   Gun selection not all that great, Optics selection actually pretty damn good, although the prices, as with all retail stores, is underwhelming.

The gun library prices are retarded, BUT they do have some really nice stuff, so if there was something you've been wanting forever and they happen to have it.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had heard it was twice the size or bigger than the BPS in Hampton.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The last story I read about this noted that "activist investor" is the new politically correct way to say "corporate raider".

Screw Basspro and fuck the fucking hedge fund raider shitheads.

ETA: Cabela's attitude towards firearms is one of the best from a major retailer.  Keep in mind in 2013 when some east coast trade show said they wouldn't allow ARs, Cabela's - a major sponsor - told them they'd drop their support if the show dropped ARs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That followed a disclosure from activist investor Elliott Management that the hedge fund had amassed an 11 percent stake in the company by late last year. Elliott at the time said it would press for changes, including a sale of the entire business, or parts of it, including Cabela's valuable credit card business.

The last story I read about this noted that "activist investor" is the new politically correct way to say "corporate raider".

Screw Basspro and fuck the fucking hedge fund raider shitheads.

ETA: Cabela's attitude towards firearms is one of the best from a major retailer.  Keep in mind in 2013 when some east coast trade show said they wouldn't allow ARs, Cabela's - a major sponsor - told them they'd drop their support if the show dropped ARs.

This. I've been liking our local Cabela's less and less since this story first broke. It's almost like they're prepping to close their doors. Which is BS, because we don't have a BPS here. Luckily, we've got a giant Scheel's and several Shipton's Big R stores to buy outdoor gear at.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
According to Cabelas employees I've talked to it's "bullshit rumor" that has been circulating for the last year.
View Quote

The employees are always the last to know.......or believe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#48]
BPS historically was not gun friendly beyond hunting guns, mostly low end.  But they have made measurable progress over the last few years.  still not as good as Cabelas though.  Overall, i probably buy from Cabelas 5x as often than NPS eve though the former is 35 minutes away and the latter 15.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That would not be good for the state.
View Quote

It wouldn't be good for the Brand either. I severely dislike Bass Pro, I drive the extra miles to goto Cabelas for the selections that Bass Pro lacks, in everything
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top