Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Budget is around 100k, I would like to spend much less pry half that or less as I will be paying for college too. However, my family is willing to finance and carry said deal until after I get out of college. So if it is steller 100k, but I would like to pay 50 k or so, with water and mineral rights.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm starting to think that this could be a good deal if you had the right people. Say an arfcom time share. I get a good hunting site built up with a couple good hunting cabins and lease it out to arfcommers for months at a time and lease the land to farmers. It seems good if the people were good and you had a contract or guarantee they wouldn't destroy your land and cabin.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks Ben. I send an email for some pricing requests, and other general info. I will get back to you when I know!

Chromey

Roger...but there are prices on there.  If you look at the map showing the tracts of land, there is prices at the bottom.  I'd like to build a castle fort nice house at the top of the cliffs on the property...

-Ben
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Water and the rights to it.
Unless you are planning to live off the grid you will need to look at how much it is going to cost to bring power and other desired utility's to the land.
Access. Be aware of how you will get to the land (road,driveway and so forth) and if the rights to whatever is there go with the land purchase.
Determine what the taxes are now and what they will be after you do any improvements. Do you have the income to handle that or is there something that comes with the land to pay some or all of that? Cropland/hay to rent /sell, timber, mineral rights?

Are there any claims or ownership issues with the land or access?

You can answer some of these questions by visiting the town hall/county seat that controls land and taxes in the area but ultimately you will need the services of a Attorney who does land use and possibly a land surveyor.

The Realtor may answer some questions but take anything they say with a grain of salt as their commission depends on making the sale.

You don't actually buy land , you are only buying certain rights to that piece and those rights will vary with different parcels of land.

Do your homework
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]

I would think one could make good money by buying gigantic animals and auctioning the right to hunt them off. Plus, renting out the houses/hotels. Farming what they could/leasing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well land in southern Oklahoma is dirt cheap.

Compared to Texas it is. We sure are getting a lot of Texans up here buying land for recreational use.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Compared to Texas it is. We sure are getting a lot of Texans up here buying land for recreational use.

Is some of that recreation, laughing at the local football team?  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is some of that recreation, laughing at the local football team?  

Who gives a fuck about that?
Land is too high in Texas, the deer population too thick because hunting leases are ridiculous.
I can see why Texans would want to buy land in Oklahoma.
To get away from other Texans like you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would think one could make good money by buying gigantic animals and auctioning the right to hunt them off. Plus, renting out the houses/hotels. Farming what they could/leasing.

Check out the video on the 3K ranch here

For $12 million it seems like heaven on earth.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
northern maine, is cheap and remote but coooollddddd
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Rural Missouri is the Meth capital of the U.S.. Choose your neighbors wisely.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How could one ever get a loan for that amount? What career would they have to have? Is it even possible to get a loan that big? What would everyone do with land that big? Myself, make an off the grid home and have sat internet to teach college classes of some form.

I just ran a loan quote its roughly 6k a month per million dollars on a loan. I think its feasible if you could lease land to a hunting/guide service.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#14]
check out northeast alabama, west georgia, east central georgia

lots of water, trees, hunting, prices can range from 1500 and up per acre

stay out of N Ga mountains - ridiculously expensive due to snow birds moving up from Fla to get some mtn property

you want really cheap look at south ala or GA
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Budget is around 100k, I would like to spend much less pry half that or less as I will be paying for college too. However, my family is willing to finance and carry said deal until after I get out of college. So if it is steller 100k, but I would like to pay 50 k or so, with water and mineral rights.

In northern Nevada you can get 40 acres for $27K.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What can be done on the land?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You want to disappear , northern Maine

Cheap land and you will think you step off the planet in some places.

Its WAY overpopulated with overpriced land, not to mention all the illegals streaming across the border. Nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#18]
If you wind up in MO, not too far out of St. Louis, you gotta let me come shoot out there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#19]
In Texas, you want to be sure there is water.   As far as the mineral rights are concerned, you will find that many parcels for sale in Texas already have been stripped of the mineral rights.   West Texas land is cheap... for a reason.   I'd look at Colorado, Arkansas, Wyoming, New Mexico, OK (yea, I said it) and maybe Utah.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Living, as either a home or retiremement retreat in 40+years. Can't go wrong with land investment, they aren't  making any more.

As soon as you realize this statement is completly and uterly false, then look for land.  It's not the land that has issues, but the municipality that controls your development 40 years from now

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you wind up in MO, not too far out of St. Louis, you gotta let me come shoot out there.

If I come into the MO, are I got to meet up with quite a few guys. Ill give you an invite, even tent camping has got to be fun? Rent a 4x4 or hitch a ride with one of the guys and have a good time I think is what i would do.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Land size is relative, a friend of the family has a ranch, it's a 20min drive from the mailbox to the house and the house is at the "front" of the ranch. I recall it's something like 2700 acres.

-JTP
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Out west the main things to consider is water and soil.  If it has good water source and good soil it probably won't be cheap land.

If it has access to water make sure it is not leased by the government as the Gov is showing it is willing to shut iff water to an entire valley of farmers to save water for fish species.

If you don't need the land to be abel to support crops, timber or cattle then you might find some cheap.  

Water would be my main concern out here in the West (as in west of the Mississippi).
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#24]

From the listing:

The residence features a living room bar, six master bedroom suites, eight full baths and one half bath, two bunk rooms for children, a formal cherry-paneled den with a secret door into a working gun room...

Now we're talking. Though I'm not sure what a working gun room is, I like secret doors.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:35:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In Texas, you want to be sure there is water.   As far as the mineral rights are concerned, you will find that many parcels for sale in Texas already have been stripped of the mineral rights.   West Texas land is cheap... for a reason.   I'd look at Colorado, Arkansas, Wyoming, New Mexico, OK (yea, I said it) and maybe Utah.

JoJo is right. Water is an issue. I wouldn't buy land unless I had live water close and knew the water table wasn't so deep you couldn't put a decent well in.
In wetter regions, you can run one unit (cow and calf) for every 5 acres if you have decent soil and water.
You get out in some dryer western areas like deep south NM, and it's 50 acres per cow and calf.
I once got a tour of some properties around Harrison, AR.  There were and probably still are some huge homes built more like concrete bomb shelters than a house sitting on 20 to 160 acre parcels.
All it takes is money.
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:37:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm looking at buying a large chunk of land. I don't know where but any where rural I guess. What should I look for? Any areas to avoid? I like Missouri and Texas but much past that I don't like going back out East, so mountain states out West etc. Any tricks I should know? Things to avoid etc.

See my thread right Here...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:26:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For a bug out place, I heard that Southern Oregon near the coast is least likely to get hit by fallout in a nuclear exchange, so if I was in the market for land, that might be a good place to look.

Fuck that.  Too many Californians screwed this area up in the 80's.  Potheads, meth labs, theft.... Lived in Coos Bay and THATS how I know.  

Ooopps... see your from CA  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:43:16 AM EDT
[#28]
There is 172 acres for sale north of my land in Mississippi, but I think they want more like double 100k for it.

My land, blue outline:

W00t
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:07:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You want to disappear , northern Maine

Cheap land and you will think you step off the planet in some places.

Its WAY overpopulated with overpriced land, not to mention all the illegals streaming across the border. Nothing to see here.

How long is the growing season up there?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:37:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What can be done on the land?

Hunting, camping, vacation, livestock, shooting, farming, residential, etc. Pretty much anything that can be done with any other land. This land will need more development though, you will save money that way if you are a do-it-yourselfer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:59:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm looking at buying a large chunk of land. I don't know where but any where rural I guess. What should I look for? Any areas to avoid? I like Missouri and Texas but much past that I don't like going back out East, so mountain states out West etc. Any tricks I should know? Things to avoid etc.

chromekilla , I now live in MO, grew up in the central coast area ,<Toledo> If it wasn't for having a great job or if I was 15 yrs younger i'd be out of this area in a heart beat , your in Gods country why would you want to move out of it ? Look to Montana / Idaho. the cold ass winters are okay as I'm used to them from fishing in AK for years, it's to 90° summers with 95% humidity that are the killer , it's 68° right now and 94% humidity and it sucks , trust me keep those webfeet out of MO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've spent the last 3 years looking for farm and agribusiness land; I've seen that place, its a piece of shit and not worth over 2m.  Almost all farm, ranch, and agribusiness land listed on the internet is shit. Typically what happens is someone buys what used to be a viable farm or ranch, keeps the really good land and tries to sell the shit. It always looks better than it is, always.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:16:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I haven't checked yet ha-ha. Well I guess atleast 20 acres, but 100 or more would be cool.

Plenty of areas like that in Northwest Arkansas. the states not called the Natural State for Nothing.

Land and homes are cheap here and you are in the middle of your other two choices.

small acreage here is $3000 per, but anything 80 and up is usually around $1000 or under.

Oklahoma land is Cheap right now too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Had a neighbor offer me 100 acres a couple weeks ago of half crop and about half woods/crp for 1500/acre.  I told him I wanted it and called back the next day to get the details and he backed out.  Something about taxes and transferring the CRP.  Man I was pissed.  The freaking gov is paying so much for farmers to do nothing right now nobody wants to sell for less than a arm and a leg.  He had just signed up all 100 acres in Quail Hbitat for around 45/acre  and he's only got to either mow it or burn it every other year.  Paying them not to farm when grain is so expensive and could be used for fuels is stupid nowadays.  Anyway, if you find a deal, don't hesitate.  And I'd recommend the north half of MO.  Seems like the weather gets a lot worse down south as far as ice and snow.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top