User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 11:47:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cool, as long as your just useing it for fun and plinking.

there's a reason troops in Iraq aren't useing $60.00 scopes.

they won't hold up to abuse andWILL fail when you need them most. not much chance of you losing your life when your just shooting paper targets that don't shoot back.

Enjoy!

No huh?  Better tell that to the guy who did a positve post Iraqi deployment briefing on his usage with a Leapers T168!

Many and perhaps most of the troops in Iraq could get by with a generic optic. It's only a relative few would abuse them enough to fail. So if you sent 10 cheapies to Iraq you could well get 9 out of 9 10 positive reviews and 1 dead reviewer.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
hey guys, who cares?

it isnt a $500 aimpoint with a $100 mount.  big whoop dee fucking doo.   this is for target shooting.  the only thing he'll probably rather have off of the aimpoint is the insanely long battery life.  but he can buy a shitload of batteries for $400.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Not a flame, but was wondring if you know what the truly 'special-ness' of the aimpoint is? This feature is the difference between an Aimpoint and any other reddot scope and as such is the reason why the increased cost. If you do not know the feature that makes an Aimpoint so very good, then you would not see the value in paying additional money for it.

The reason why I have an aimpoint instead of another reddot is due to the absence of parallax in the tube. This means that the dot will float in the tube and even if the shooter has the aiming eye off center of the bore axis of the weapon, if the dot is on the target, the weapon will hit there. On cheaper reddots, the point does not float in the tube and as such, the shooter must have their aiming eye on axis of the bore for the dot to be reliable.

This feature allows both eyes open shooting. Aimpoint is still the only company to offer a parallax free reddot...so, there you go.

I have found that my Tacpoint and even the cheap BSA do that as well.  This is from using them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not a flame, but was wondring if you know what the truly 'special-ness' of the aimpoint is? This feature is the difference between an Aimpoint and any other reddot scope and as such is the reason why the increased cost. If you do not know the feature that makes an Aimpoint so very good, then you would not see the value in paying additional money for it.

The reason why I have an aimpoint instead of another reddot is due to the absence of parallax in the tube. This means that the dot will float in the tube and even if the shooter has the aiming eye off center of the bore axis of the weapon, if the dot is on the target, the weapon will hit there. On cheaper reddots, the point does not float in the tube and as such, the shooter must have their aiming eye on axis of the bore for the dot to be reliable.

This feature allows both eyes open shooting. Aimpoint is still the only company to offer a parallax free reddot...so, there you go.

oh yeah, the same reason why colt ar15's never, ever, ever jam and ALWAYS shoot less than 1/10 MOA out of the box!  its the NAME BRAND GOODNESS!!

sorry but, they all do that. tacpoint, bsa, aimpoint, even my old school adco champ sight does it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 4:22:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wow!  Mounting that thing on top of a carry handle makes it REALLY high.

that's for shootin' from the hip!

that ain't bad for a decent little plinker scope...i think i can scrape some pennies together for that...
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 4:40:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
hey guys, who cares?

it isnt a $500 aimpoint with a $100 mount.  big whoop dee fucking doo.   this is for target shooting.  the only thing he'll probably rather have off of the aimpoint is the insanely long battery life.  but he can buy a shitload of batteries for $400.

+1 Not EVERy scope in my arsernal is gonna end up in combat.

In fact, the great likelihood is NONE of them will. EVER.

As such, I can buy a BOATLOAD of ammo for the difference in price.

For red dots on a plinking rifle, I just can't see spending big bux. FOr my $2,000 SPR, different story.

Link Posted: 4/19/2005 4:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
+1      

Quoted:
No flames, you get what you pay for.

Link Posted: 4/19/2005 4:58:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

they won't hold up to abuse andWILL fail when you need them most. not much chance of you losing your life when your just shooting paper targets that don't shoot back.

Enjoy!

No huh?  Better tell that to the guy who did a positve post Iraqi deployment briefing on his usage with a Leapers T168!

Many and perhaps most of the troops in Iraq could get by with a generic optic. It's only a relative few would abuse them enough to fail. So if you sent 10 cheapies to Iraq you could well get 9 out of 9 10 positive reviews and 1 dead reviewer.

Fixed it for you.

Actually that was the point I was making. The idea is that #10 didn't do a review because he died as result of his cheap scope failing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hi Guys,
Well, I do have an aimpoint. And its one of the best red dot scopes I have ever had. I also purchased the same scope off of ebay and it does just as well as my aimpoint. Its  parallax free too. I wont be using night vision with it and I wont be going under water with it either. I paid 103 bucks for mine. It has seen well over 3K rounds with no issues at all. So if you arent going into battle today I would say for the shooter on a budget. It will work. The scope in this email will work just as good. Oh Ya, It has never lost its accuracy either. So to be honest. My aimpoint has servered me no better at this point. If we were to break out in a war. Yes. I would use the aimpont first becasue its been tested in combat.

With a tag name like unixcock do you really think that there is a chance in Hell that anyone will take your word seriously.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 5:20:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag, need an optic for my M4 but have no money.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Kharn

Irons work nicely
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Irons work nicely

I have an LMT BUIS, but I get made fun of at the range for having 4" of rail exposed and no fancy gadgets (only thing fancy on the rifle is the LMT upper and the Magpull stock).

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 5:24:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Had one of those red dot cheap scopes on a Desert Eagle .357, made it three shots before it was reduced to junk.  

That fake airsoft red dot might work fine on a rifle with no recoil off the bench, but no way it's going to stand up to the abuse a real Aimpoint will tolerate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 5:24:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have an LMT BUIS, but I get made fun of at the range for having 4" of rail exposed and no fancy gadgets (only thing fancy on the rifle is the LMT upper and the Magpull stock).

Kharn

Better than getting teased for having junk.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Enjoy!

Actually there was a pic of at least one soldier with a BSA red dot on a gun.

TANGOCHASER used a T168 which is kind of an ACOG knockoff. It survived the use.

As to not holding up to abuse, go read my posts in the tacpoint FAQ, mine has taken a lot of shit and is still going strong.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#16]
alright, as a formore airsoft enthusiast I can clue you guys in to a coupke of different *levels* knockoffs. The lowest end, is NcStars new Aimpoint replica runs between 25 and 50 bucks.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=36_117&products_id=806

That is the one I have, I have never had any problem aiming with both eyes open, (even tho with my airsoft guns it was set to a backyard range of like 50 feet) Donwside is it is all plastic, no meetal construction whatsoever.

Next step up is the Guarder or G&P Replicas, which runs between 90 and 130. They are full metal, but the RDS quality is no different than with the NcStar (had one and sold it for that reason)

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=36_117&products_id=884

And while I cant locate pne of the real *high end* replicas right now they usually run around 180-200.......which i never understood.

just my .02
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 5:40:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
alright, as a formore airsoft enthusiast I can clue you guys in to a coupke of different *levels* knockoffs. The lowest end, is NcStars new Aimpoint replica runs between 25 and 50 bucks.

www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=36_117&products_id=806

That is the one I have, I have never had any problem aiming with both eyes open, (even tho with my airsoft guns it was set to a backyard range of like 50 feet) Donwside is it is all plastic, no meetal construction whatsoever.

Next step up is the Guarder or G&P Replicas, which runs between 90 and 130. They are full metal, but the RDS quality is no different than with the NcStar (had one and sold it for that reason)

www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=36_117&products_id=884

And while I cant locate pne of the real *high end* replicas right now they usually run around 180-200.......which i never understood.

just my .02

thanks for the info! I appreciate it. I hot linked the url's for ya too.

Kris
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I honestly doubt that they are all that bad, and I think they would work fine for about 99.9% of the folks here. Especially the guys that just pose with their guns, or just shoot BR most of the time. Myself included unless I am useing Uncle Sams weapons.

BUT...I would never want to take it into combat and rely on it if my life were at stake. I also have some guns that I feel the same way about. I like them and they do just fine......but I would never carry them into combat. Is that a reason not to get them? Hell no!

That being said, since there is still the posibility that I may get to go hunting rag heads sometime in the next few years (I am active Duty Military) I bought a real Aimpoint and more importantly an EOTECH, so that if need be I could take them. That was not my main reason for buying them, but helped in justifying the cost to myself......

Worst case, if it sucks real bad, put it on a gun and sell it to one of those fat Rambo wannabees that has a table at every gun show in the world. You know the ones w/ beef jerky.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 5:47:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Aimpoint is still the only company to offer a parallax free reddot...so, there you go.

So the Tripower and Eotech are not "parallax free?"
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Aimpoint is still the only company to offer a parallax free reddot...so, there you go.

So the Tripower and Eotech are not "parallax free?"

I know they are sugar free.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#21]
You bought the Hyundai of the Red Dot world…

ANdy
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

ANdy

Yeah but for the price it looks ok.
As long as it works...
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

ANdy

Just remember, Hyundia has a 100k mile warranty.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 6:59:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the run down CrazyWhiteGuy.

I just ordered a NcStar yesterday for $30. Figured what the hell. Gotta check it out, and ain't out much if it's total crap. (I expect the next best thing to it though ) I am real curious to see if it's paralax free though.

I think eventually it'll end up on my .30-06 for an "endurance" test.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#25]
BTDT. Bought plenty of cheap optics and they lasted about a year. Bought another. I could have spent my money more wisely and just bought a good optic and saved myself the headaches and shipping costs if I just bought a qulaity optic the first time.
Now, its just good optics for me. The Aimpoint M3 is being saved up for now as we speak.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#26]
the whole parralax free thing is really awesome, you can even have the weapon tilted and make good shots.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
OK, I just got it today! So far, it looks great. It's all aluminum construction. The dot has 5 brightness settings and the front lens has the ruby coating. (At least it looks like it does.)

Please explain to me why the "ruby" coating would be a good thing.

My field is in optics, mainly binoculars and spotting scopes, not rifle scopes so I could be missing something, but a ruby coating will only decrease light transmission through the scope.

I would think that, especially for lower light situations (dusk and dawn) that you would want to have maximum light transmission. Not to mention that a nice shiney "ruby" coating seems to me like an excellent way to give away your position to the enemy. If anything, I would think that low reflection coatings would be the way to go on an optic like this (or any optics used with the human eye). Low reflective coatings = more light transmission and less chance of giving away your position to the enemy. I know there is a killflash available for that (don't know if it fits the tacpoint), but that only reduces light transmission even more. I'd much rather use a killflash on an optic that was already transmitting more light than one that was reflecting back a lot of red light to begin with.

I haven't seen the aimpoint in real life, so I don't know if it also has this "ruby" coating as well, but it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Like I said before, I'm no "tactical" expert when it comes to rifles and scopes for military use, so I suppose I could be missing something.

I have done a bit of study in optical engineering though and this just doesn't seem to make sense to me. In the binocular world we have a term for the "ruby" coated binoculars. It's called "gimmick" and is usually used in optics that don't properly converge the color spectrum due to poorly chosen glass combinations, which causes significant color dispersion. By filtering out the red light with a "ruby" coating it helps cover up the fact that the multi-coatings (if there are any) and glass combinations are crap...at the expense of lost light and an unnatural greenish/blue tint to the image.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Newbhunter the red coating is functional, if it wasn't there you really wouldn't see the dot all that well if at all. Aimpoints have it too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I just ordered a NcStar yesterday for $30. Figured what the hell. Gotta check it out, and ain't out much if it's total crap.

I don't quite understand this thinking.    Are you hoping to "win the lottery" and get lucky to get a good one?

Devoting a decent amount of money gambling on something that may or may not work out seems a bit risky to me.

There's lots of questionable $30 items out there - how many $30's do you spend hoping to find that diamond in the rough?  
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Newbhunter the red coating is functional, if it wasn't there you really wouldn't see the dot all that well if at all. Aimpoints have it too.

How does the red coating make the dot visible?

Do EOtechs also have a red coating on the front of the "HUD"?
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know that. But I've never seen a red dot that didn't have it. The last EO-thingy I saw was back in october and I never looked at the front of it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK, I just got it today! So far, it looks great. It's all aluminum construction. The dot has 5 brightness settings and the front lens has the ruby coating. (At least it looks like it does.)

Please explain to me why the "ruby" coating would be a good thing.

My field is in optics, mainly binoculars and spotting scopes, not rifle scopes so I could be missing something, but a ruby coating will only decrease light transmission through the scope.

I would think that, especially for lower light situations (dusk and dawn) that you would want to have maximum light transmission. Not to mention that a nice shiney "ruby" coating seems to me like an excellent way to give away your position to the enemy. If anything, I would think that low reflection coatings would be the way to go on an optic like this (or any optics used with the human eye). Low reflective coatings = more light transmission and less chance of giving away your position to the enemy. I know there is a killflash available for that (don't know if it fits the tacpoint), but that only reduces light transmission even more. I'd much rather use a killflash on an optic that was already transmitting more light than one that was reflecting back a lot of red light to begin with.

I haven't seen the aimpoint in real life, so I don't know if it also has this "ruby" coating as well, but it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Like I said before, I'm no "tactical" expert when it comes to rifles and scopes for military use, so I suppose I could be missing something.

I have done a bit of study in optical engineering though and this just doesn't seem to make sense to me. In the binocular world we have a term for the "ruby" coated binoculars. It's called "gimmick" and is usually used in optics that don't properly converge the color spectrum due to poorly chosen glass combinations, which causes significant color dispersion. By filtering out the red light with a "ruby" coating it helps cover up the fact that the multi-coatings (if there are any) and glass combinations are crap...at the expense of lost light and an unnatural greenish/blue tint to the image.

+1 to the whole post!

Link Posted: 4/19/2005 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know that. But I've never seen a red dot that didn't have it. The last EO-thingy I saw was back in october and I never looked at the front of it.

Hmmm...well, I'm not disagreeing with you, it just seems a little odd. I don't understand how or why a red dot optic would need a red coating on the front in order for the dot to be visible. Where did you hear that from?

I will have to investigate that. I guess it just seems a little counter-productive to me. I would think that by now they could have figured out a way to make the red dot visible without the red coating, as an anti-reflective coating would give the operator two distinct advantages, better light transmission, and lower visible signature from reflection, possibly even without the killflash (which further reduces light transmission).
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I've got a little Bushmaster 11.5" with a 4.5" Flash Hider permanently attached. Not really a long-range accuracy rifle, but more of a "cool-looking fun shooter".

I ordered an ARMS #16A and Tacpoint 1 from Mike at CS Gunworks (www.csgunworks.com) last Friday. Great price, and fast shipping - I got it in yesterday, and slapped it on the rifle. Looks great, and it actually seems pretty damn durable. I'll be taking it to the range this weekend, and will post up a report afterword.

If I am going to spend a lot of money on optics at some point in the future, I will probably buy an ACOG for my 20" A2. In the meantime, I think this will work fine for what I use my little Bushmaster for.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 8:14:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Why waste the money on a real girl?

www.tomheroes.com/images/inflatable_doll.JPG

Off topic... Does anyone know if these are still available?
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

No.  EOTechs are hollographic and don't need the coating.  EOTechs use a completely different technoloty to produce their reticule.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have found that my Tacpoint and even the cheap BSA do that as well.  This is from using them.

While a shooter can use bot eyes open with any optic or even irons, the off-axis point of aim hold with an Aimpoint is still the standard. Any tube type reddot sight will allow some off-axis shooting, the Aimpoint's patented use of many mirrors to 'float' the dot at point of aim regardless of off axis movements means that even if the dot apprears far off to the side of the reticle (or tube/line of sight area) the dot will STILL be the point of aim....in a correctly zero'd rifle.

Do a simple test with your 'other brands' and knockoffs....on a bench, sandbag the rifle with the dot at point of aim, then move your head slightly off axis of the tube and see if the dot is still at point of aim. Move your head around and determine if the dot remains on point of aim (floats in other words = Aimpoint) or if the dot tends to remain fixed in the center of the tube (not parallax free = anything but Aimpoint).

Wiggy the tacpoint works the same as an aimpoint. where the dot is the round goes. I've already done the lil'test you propose I did it as one of the first tests I did on my tacpoint.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While a shooter can use bot eyes open with any optic or even irons, the off-axis point of aim hold with an Aimpoint is still the standard. Any tube type reddot sight will allow some off-axis shooting, the Aimpoint's patented use of many mirrors to 'float' the dot at point of aim regardless of off axis movements means that even if the dot apprears far off to the side of the reticle (or tube/line of sight area) the dot will STILL be the point of aim....in a correctly zero'd rifle.

Do a simple test with your 'other brands' and knockoffs....on a bench, sandbag the rifle with the dot at point of aim, then move your head slightly off axis of the tube and see if the dot is still at point of aim. Move your head around and determine if the dot remains on point of aim (floats in other words = Aimpoint) or if the dot tends to remain fixed in the center of the tube (not parallax free = anything but Aimpoint).

The AimPoint is only parralax free if the target is beyond 50 meters.  At least that's what it says in the US Army AIMS POI.

I have a ProPoint that seems to be functionally parralax free.

As an interesting side note, the RPG simulators used for OPFOR training at the NTC are mounted with BSA red dots, which have withstood phenomenol GI abuse, weather, rain, dust, bouncing around in COBVs and HUMVEES, etc (but no significant recoil).
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wiggy the tacpoint works the same as an aimpoint. where the dot is the round goes. I've already done the lil'test you propose I did it as one of the first tests I did on my tacpoint.

Is the Tacpoint an Aimpoint knockoff from China? The Chinese are not above patent infringement and as such may have copied 'some' of Aimpoints design. Bastards.

The tacpoint is a Japaneese  knockoff of the aimpoint assembled in china. the components are manufactured in other places though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  EOTechs are hollographic and don't need the coating.  EOTechs use a completely different technoloty to produce their reticule.

Can you tell me where you heard that an Aimpoint needs this coating for the red dot to be visible? I would like to read the technical reasons as to why this is so.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Tagged......I may give one a try.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Tagged
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm quite suprised. I figured I was really going to get flamed for this thread, but the overall opinion of this scope has been pretty fair. In fact, a few of you have shown interest in buying one. Heck, from all the extra business this guy gets from me, he should send me a free one. I'll probably go shoot it this weekend, and I'll update again.

Kris
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Ok you got yours from the guy on ebay right?
80 Bucks?
From what I have read, I think I may take the chance, 80 bucks isn't too much if it doesn't work perfectly.
4 MOA is a tad large but what the hell.
I may order one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Ok you got yours from the guy on ebay right?
80 Bucks?
From what I have read, I think I may take the chance, 80 bucks isn't too much if it doesn't work perfectly.
4 MOA is a tad large but what the hell.
I may order one.

Should do fine on your AirSoft - Dura Cell Delta  
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top