View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

388hp 357ftlbs

8.2 1/8et

I think I have you by a little bit.  My motor is a copy of humble pie with a bit more compression.  

But you don't know?  

Much like the air fuel ratios in this thread
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

388hp 357ftlbs

8.2 1/8et

I think I have you by a little bit.  My motor is a copy of humble pie with a bit more compression.  

But you don't know?  

That's where I was going.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
My junky old 72 MACH1 makes IIRC something like 320HP at the wheel (been years, would need to find the sheet for exact number). C6 transmission, 9' rear end pretty normal set up.

I could easily GUESS that it makes anywhere from 350-360 hp + at the engine based on my understanding of parasitic loss.
No one could tell me I'm wrong either, because no one truly knows until the engine is yanked and put on a stand. But then again, just because I can't be proven wrong, doesn't mean I'm right...
The wideband to find the A/FR is the same thing.  They are cheaper than a new carb, and can offer a lifetime of KNOWING not guessing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-LC2-Wideband-DB-52mm-Gauge-Kit-amp-O2-Sensor-LC-2-Green-Display-/271457453023?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
Not saying get that one, but as an example, 160 bucks plus whatever it costs to get a bung welded in, and you have a digital gauge that also exports data to a laptop so you can track your AFR over the entire RPM range...    
Technology is pretty bad ass.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, I worked a lot of overtime the last few days, no time to respond.  

I don't understand why you would throw out the basics.  Also your modern gas analogy is wasted, gas has been modern for about thirty years when they removed the lead.  Spark plug reading is fundamental!  Do you just hope you don't have detonation, do you just hope you have no fouling from any sources?  A WBO2 is just a gauge, sure there are ratios that generally are ideal but you give the motor what it wants not some number.  If you tune for 14.7 but the motor likes 12.4, then what good was your tuning?  He would be better off tuning for trap speed.  It is a handy tool, not a required one.

You both seem knowledgable but immature.  There is no excuse for being intentionally insulting to someone just because they share a different viewpoint.  Especially when you are trying to spend someone else's money.

Briefly about my motor, Humble Pie was a Car Craft build.  They saw 401 hp and 428 lbtq.  I am running more compression and will soon be improving the injection system with a Weiand stealth ram.  My motor is very streetable and even pulls 17 inches of vacuum at idle.  If you are making more power, then fantastic but I am making more than probably 75% of the street cars out there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sorry, I worked a lot of overtime the last few days, no time to respond.  

I don't understand why you would throw out the basics.  Also your modern gas analogy is wasted, gas has been modern for about thirty years when they removed the lead.  Spark plug reading is fundamental!  Do you just hope you don't have detonation, do you just hope you have no fouling from any sources?  A WBO2 is just a gauge, sure there are ratios that generally are ideal but you give the motor what it wants not some number.  If you tune for 14.7 but the motor likes 12.4, then what good was your tuning?  He would be better off tuning for trap speed.  It is a handy tool, not a required one.

You both seem knowledgable but immature.  There is no excuse for being intentionally insulting to someone just because they share a different viewpoint.  Especially when you are trying to spend someone else's money.

Briefly about my motor, Humble Pie was a Car Craft build.  They saw 401 hp and 428 lbtq.  I am running more compression and will soon be improving the injection system with a Weiand stealth ram.  My motor is very streetable and even pulls 17 inches of vacuum at idle.  If you are making more power, then fantastic but I am making more than probably 75% of the street cars out there.
View Quote
The basics aren't being thrown out, they are being added to.

It's been known for awhile that modern gas, with all the detergent packages and especially ethanol is cleaner burning and not as good as indicator for reading plugs as far as AFR goes.

In fact, lots of places recoment wide bands specifically for that reason.

If you tune for what you motor wants, but what the plugs are showing you based on the 30-40 year old pictures from the hayes manuals (that still include leading) then how will you truly know?  

Speaking of running engines on what they want, ethanol fuels like different AFR's as well...  So unless people are going and tracking down ethanol free gas (there's three places in my entire states)  then a wide band sensor starts making sense.  
Knowing>guessing
There's plenty of other reasons to pull and check plugs, but technology has given us one less.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:51:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, stoic E10 is approx 14.2/1.  My question to you is does every street car need a WB?  If you are tuned for max power and drivability does AF matter at that point?  It is another data point.

ETA:  I do think it is a great tool, I don't feel it is required for every application such as the OP's.  If he does indeed go LS or just EFI then I would agree.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes, stoic E10 is approx 14.2/1.  My question to you is does every street car need a WB?  If you are tuned for max power and drivability does AF matter at that point? It is another data point.

ETA:  I do think it is a great tool, I don't feel it is required for every application such as the OP's.  If he does indeed go LS or just EFI then I would agree.
View Quote
I think those two point right there are a perfect reason to have one.

As you state, it's another data point, and data points indicate trends.  

Take my car for example, poor thing sits around forever while I'm off gallivanting around the world, sometimes it's been months to years between being able to drive it.  Having a AFR sensor could easily tell be if there's trends towards the car falling apart around my ears.  

Then, I could always pull it and plug it into any of my other vehicles.  Just get bungs and have plugs on hand.  
You ask if it is a need?  Of course not.  

It's a want.  Especially for people who want to know with greater confidence than estimating.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:55:48 AM EDT
[#8]
What do you guys think of this carb , the qft SS 750. It's roughly 500 on amazon, while summit is charging 600, plus I have $100 chase points I can use effectively making my price 400ish. Its a mechanical secondary with electric idle. Everyone is telling me to go with a vacuum secondary for the street but since I bought the truck and test drove it with the mechanical secondary I'm kinda partial to mechanical secondary , that's my internal debate right now as to why I haven't gotten a carb yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Fuel-Technology-SS-750-Mechanical/dp/B003M8YVHU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09ACF3AWHWRTW0BZJ5RA
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#9]
What gears, cam, stall and how much does your truck weigh?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#10]
OK you have your heart set on a QFT w/mech sec's even though you have been told by many to get a vac sec carb.
Then this is the one. It has annular boosters
QFT 750
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What gears, cam, stall and how much does your truck weigh?
View Quote

Was told 373 gears. Unknown cam. Unknown stall. And title says truck weighs 3500. Those two things are unknown as I'm the third owner and the first one built it and the second guy didn't know /ask. So I'm still sorting things out
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Found this beauty today. Explains why the fuel gauge wouldn't register at all

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:28:34 AM EDT
[#13]
well gents, ordered a QFT 750 with mechanical secondaries and annulars, $453 from amazon with free shipping.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
well gents, ordered a QFT 750 with mechanical secondaries and annulars, $453 from amazon with free shipping.
View Quote

Congrats

Now get a wideband gauge coming cause you will have a LOT of tuning to do. And I don't mean just idle mixture screws and primary jets. But with our help we can get ya lined out
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#15]
kool
its to bad yer old carb wasn't for sale for 50bucks
and i was the one to afford it

keep us updated in the project
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
kool
its to bad yer old carb wasn't for sale for 50bucks
and i was the one to afford it

keep us updated in the project
View Quote

It'll be for sale after I get the new one on abd running. But not for $50 lol
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Shiney new parts. One more fitting to order once I get the braided fuel hose layed out this weekend

And got a smoking deal on msd 6al digital setup to replace the analog 6al that's currently installed , 3 of them for 315 total.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Got the carb installed and running and driving. It's a nasty motor
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quick Fuel for the win!!!

Demons suck!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top