[#2]
it'll be 300% over budget
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To quote a thread not so long ago, what do I know, I was just a keyturner.  
View Quote
I figured, given your avatar, member description, and AF icon.

I don't know what limaxray means, except LX in the phonetic alphabet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]
how many extra missiles do they build for extras/testing over time? or do they keep ordering them on a yearly basis?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Come out here Bubba, I'm sure we could convince you!!!

On another note, a bunch of happy people in Hsv this week, including but not limited to my daughter, her dad, her boy friend and a bunch of my wife's and I friends over this win!  The Boeing PM is a personal friend and he's ecstatic, both personally and professionally.  Outstanding win by Boeing and NG, both excellent companies!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
how many extra missiles do they build for extras/testing over time? or do they keep ordering them on a yearly basis?
View Quote
Like the F22, one production run and done.  This line is going to be too expensive to keep open.  Nuclear certification is costly.  Like, "equivalent to a large Latin American country's economy per year" costly.  

We're currently launching 3-4 a year in testing. It'll be more if we have to flight-test a new RV or two.  So depends on what the operational lifespan of the system's expected to be, plus spares.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What's an ICBBM? 
View Quote
The extra B is for BYOBB
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:49:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The LA Times says it's about $18 mil a shot to test an ICBM.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-na-nuclear-missile-test-20170612-story.html
The tests, which cost $18 million each, not only give the Air Force crucial data on the function of its aging missiles, but send a clear international signal, complete with high-definition photography, of America’s continued ability to launch a nuclear strike.

The missile selected for testing had been chosen randomly in an improbable but apparently long-standing Air Force tradition: A map of missile sites was put on a wall and an officer was selected to throw a dart at it.
The dart hit Foxtrot 2’s location, about 22 miles northeast of tiny Augusta, Mont., sometimes called the “last original cow town in the West.”
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good.  Long overdue.
View Quote
Indeed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:05:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If only we had already developed a new land-based ICBM after MM.  We could even have call it something catchy like "MX" or "Peacekeeper".

So many lost opportunities when we don't think ahead....

View Quote
You mean when the leftists are playing for the other team.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:15:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Please be mobile and actually survivable like the Russian ICBMs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:17:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Launch on warning. We have the only realistic second strike capability in the world.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:29:32 AM EDT
[#15]
1. Should have never offed the MX system. It was a 10 warhead MIRV and would have lasted us for probably 30 more years.

2. The Trident D5 is a 12 warhead MIRV, but because of treaty we limit it to 8 warheads. It's time we gave up on that BS (I think max 475 kt each which is more powerful than any SLBM the Russians have, including their latest.) The Russians have never been honest about their capabilities.

Like our stupid No-ABM policy. Totally retarded. The Russians were balls deep in ABM systems since day one, and here we are acting like fucking stupid Capt. Picard and finking on Starfleet to the Romulans because some smart Starfleet engineers inventing an even better cloaking device for Starfleet. Actually, the Starfleet episode was based on our relations with the Russians WRT ABM treaties. The Russians punked us for decades.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:34:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Like the MX, that we shitcanned on account of another foolish treaty with Russia that gave them the advantage.

It doesn't make any difference if you're walking the high road or the low road when that can of sunshine is opened.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:35:48 AM EDT
[#17]
We need a new warhead development program and a resumption of nuclear testing as much or more than a replacement ICBM.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:38:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We need a new warhead development program and a resumption of nuclear testing as much or more than a replacement ICBM.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:39:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Launch on warning. We have the only realistic second strike capability in the world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you mean the SLBMs, the Russians knew our codes as well as the location of every boomer we had in the 70's (at least in the Pacific), thanks to John Anthony Walker and his son. I saw a documentary that stated had we gone to war with the USSR in the 70's, our Pacific fleet would have been utterly destroyed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:41:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The first part could happen. The second part, no way in hell would the Dems and Rinos go for that. Maybe with Pres. Trump, but he would have to get the funding from Congress.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:41:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you mean the SLBMs, the Russians knew our codes as well as the location of every boomer we had in the 70's (at least in the Pacific), thanks to John Anthony Walker and his son. I saw a documentary that stated had we gone to war with the USSR in the 70's, our Pacific fleet would have been utterly destroyed.
View Quote
I just checked my calendar and it says 2017. The Russian fleet is rusting next to a pier somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Good news.

I just hope Canada remains *cough* neutral and maintains the status quo of not 'owning' nuclear weapons of any sort.
Our American brothers and sisters who take very cautious care and are quite respectful of our hospitality are more than welcome to stay and keep things on the status quo.

Carry on.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:08:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just checked my calendar and it says 2017. The Russian fleet is rusting next to a pier somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a Russian fleet?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There's a Russian fleet?
View Quote
I probably should have used quotes around fleet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Good news.

I just hope Canada remains *cough* neutral and maintains the status quo of not 'owning' nuclear weapons of any sort.
Our American brothers and sisters who take very cautious care and are quite respectful of our hospitality are more than welcome to stay and keep things on the status quo.

Carry on.

View Quote
Gotta pay for your socialized healthcare somehow, not paying for your own defense is a good way to do that.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mobile systems create some nightmarish security and OPSEC considerations that make them not worth it.

The Russian systems are mobile because they don't have the kind of blue-water access we have..but they do have lots of acreage.  

That makes it a good pick, for them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Mobile systems create some nightmarish security and OPSEC considerations that make them not worth it.

The Russian systems are mobile because they don't have the kind of blue-water access we have..but they do have lots of acreage.  

That makes it a good pick, for them.
View Quote
IIRC, their road mobiles don't have the throw weight either.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#28]
There's a reason why they wanted to put Peacekeeper on trains, but had to develop a completely different missile to be road-mobile.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top