Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
How long until MSNBC, CNN, the big 3, and the leftists weaponize this bill??

If they have not already.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

evidently you don't understand what the constitution does and why states have their own laws and own constitutions.

it IS a state issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It should be a matter for the individual states to decide.

The RKBA has no **'s after it.

This is NOT a state issue.

evidently you don't understand what the constitution does and why states have their own laws and own constitutions.

it IS a state issue.

So the 4th doesn't apply to the states?Is that the gist of what you are saying?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And when Zero vetoes them, then what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never gonna happen

It could if some members of Congress would start trolling those "must pass to read bills"

And when Zero vetoes them, then what?

Stick it in a bill that "we have to pass it to see what's in it".

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You're really not this dense are you? All of the articles in the Bill of Rights are applicable to ALL states and therefore protected and enforced by the federal government.  The stats really have no authority to decide on Bill of Rights issues.  Have they? Do they? Sure, but judges and legislators continue to fuck us in lots of ways.  Its NOT a states' issue whatsoever, only fuckhead judges have convinced you that thinking is acceptable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it is. The US Constitution describes limits on the Federal government, not the states. The only reason RKBA (or even the First Amendment) applies to the states is a warped interpretation of the 14th.

You're really not this dense are you? All of the articles in the Bill of Rights are applicable to ALL states and therefore protected and enforced by the federal government.  The stats really have no authority to decide on Bill of Rights issues.  Have they? Do they? Sure, but judges and legislators continue to fuck us in lots of ways.  Its NOT a states' issue whatsoever, only fuckhead judges have convinced you that thinking is acceptable.

No, the Bill of Rights was not meant to be applied to the States.  Proposals to make parts of it so applicable failed in Congress.  No court subsequently treated it as such, even for some time after the 14th Amendment was ratified.  He is right in that the 14th Amendment has to be deliberately misinterpreted or "warped" to support incorporation of anything other than the 5th Amendment's due process clause.  The "fuckhead judges" have tended to support perversion of the law and generally do not rule against incorporation doctrine these days, so I'm not sure how you think they are the ones convincing anyone of anything with regard to a non-belief in the incorporation doctrine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Let's talk "if" it passes....

Making up legislation and actually getting it passed into law are two different entities.

Why didn't the republicans reverse the 20,000+ laws in the books when they had total control of the house, senate and presidency 2001-2006?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Odd. GD told me that Republicans are the same as Democrats.

«tc2k11»

Making up legislation and actually getting it passed into law are two different entities.

Why didn't the republicans reverse the 20,000+ laws in the books when they had total control of the house, senate and presidency 2001-2006?

I think the Republicans will bring up lots of bills and push them through for political points because they know their is no way in hell they can override a veto. They are just trying to look like they want the same things we do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think the Republicans will bring up lots of bills and push them through for political points because they know their is no way in hell they can override a veto. They are just trying to look like they want the same things we do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

«tc2k11»

Republicans NEVER had "total control" so stop spreading that dem liberal lie.  Dems were Senate majority for the first 2 years when Jeffords went Independant aka democrap. The 108th Congress had 51 Republicans. The 109th Congress had 55 Republicans.

http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/history/one_item_and_teasers/partydiv.htm

Note: From January 3 to January 20, 2001, with the Senate divided evenly between the two parties, the Democrats held the majority due to the deciding vote of outgoing Democratic Vice President Al Gore. Senator Thomas A. Daschle served as majority leader at that time. Beginning on January 20, 2001, Republican Vice President Richard Cheney held the deciding vote, giving the majority to the Republicans. Senator Trent Lott resumed his position as majority leader on that date. On May 24, 2001, Senator James Jeffords of Vermont announced his switch from Republican to Independent status, effective June 6, 2001. Jeffords announced that he would caucus with the Democrats, giving the Democrats a one-seat advantage, changing control of the Senate from the Republicans back to the Democrats. Senator Thomas A. Daschle again became majority leader on June 6, 2001. Senator Paul D. Wellstone (D-MN) died on October 25, 2002, and Independent Dean Barkley was appointed to fill the vacancy. The November 5, 2002 election brought to office elected Senator James Talent (R-MO), replacing appointed Senator Jean Carnahan (D-MO), shifting balance once again to the Republicans -- but no reorganization was completed at that time since the Senate was out of session.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

NH decided it was unconstitutional and overturned it. We can carry on school grounds.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

my state already did. Now when i pick up or drop off the kids i dont have to have the vehicle gun free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my state already did. Now when i pick up or drop off the kids i dont have to have the vehicle gun free.

Same here in Oklahoma.  As long as you are there to pick up/drop off AND your feet never touch school grounds while the weapon is unsecured (locked up in the vehicle) you're OK.  If you plan on stepping out you need to have the weapon secured in the vehicle in a locked glove compartment, console, lockbox attached to the vehicle, etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They mostly are.  Guns are pretty much the only thing that differentiate (R) from (D)

It needs to be noted that this is a repeal of a (R) president signed law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

«tc2k11»

They mostly are.  Guns are pretty much the only thing that differentiate (R) from (D)

Yep!  I remember when Reagan balanced the budget and fought hard for small government.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep!  I remember when Reagan balanced the budget and fought hard for small government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

«tc2k11»

Reagan did not sign this
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

«tc2k11»

That's some brilliant fucking reasoning.

So, if they did nothing, you would bash them for that as well, right.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, the Bill of Rights was not meant to be applied to the States.  Proposals to make parts of it so applicable failed in Congress.  No court subsequently treated it as such, even for some time after the 14th Amendment was ratified.  He is right in that the 14th Amendment has to be deliberately misinterpreted or "warped" to support incorporation of anything other than the 5th Amendment's due process clause.  The "fuckhead judges" have tended to support perversion of the law and generally do not rule against incorporation doctrine these days, so I'm not sure how you think they are the ones convincing anyone of anything with regard to a non-belief in the incorporation doctrine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it is. The US Constitution describes limits on the Federal government, not the states. The only reason RKBA (or even the First Amendment) applies to the states is a warped interpretation of the 14th.

Please show this "was not meant to be applied to the states" somewhere.  By that reasoning, "all men are created equal" is nonsense since you seem to think that states can infringe on rights all they want.

Only one amendment actually lists the Feds as being prohibited from something.

Just about every gun I own in GA would be illegal in CA and you think that the Constitution should not be applied to the states.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#13]
We protect our money, homes and selves with guns, our schools deserve the same.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Please show this "was not meant to be applied to the states" somewhere.  By that reasoning, "all men are created equal" is nonsense since you seem to think that states can infringe on rights all they want.

Just about every gun I own in GA would be illegal in CA and you think that the Constitution should not be applied to the states.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bill of Rights does not mention restrictions against the States.  If they are not mentioned, they do not exist.  Such is an old principle of law which was still respected at the time.  You can also look at the legislative history of the amendments to see intent.  The Bill of Rights did not need to mention applicability to the Federal government since that is a given being that it is a document constituting the national government; in certain parts it just limits the restriction to acts of Congress (as opposed to the general government).  Only with the rise of incorporation doctrine well after the ratification of the 14th Amendment (a doctrine which is clearly contrary to the intent of the framers of the amendment and does not plainly arise from the language used in the amendment; it is an example of legislation by judicial fiat) was the idea of application of any part of the Bill of Rights to the States taken seriously because that is the core notion included in the doctrine, that the 14th Amendment created a change whereby the Bill of Rights no longer just applies to the national government, but also to those of the several States.

To be opposed to perversions of the Constitution is not the same as to support gun controul legislation.  The two are separate matters.  I certainly won't shed any tears over the adverse effect bad case law may have on California's gun controul laws, though, but I recognize that such is only being accomplished through a perversion of the law and not on account of obedience to it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The drafting history of the 14th Amendment, the speeches and debates surrounding its ratification, and the circumstances that led to it being proposed in the first place, all disagree with that position.

Senator Howard, introducing the 14A to the Senate, explained that it would compel the states to respect "these great fundamental guarantees...the personal rights guaranteed by the first eight amendments of the United States Constitution".

Representative Bingham, Ohio: "this immortal bill of rights embodied in the Constitution, rested for its execution and enforcement hitherto upon the fidelity of the States...The proposition pending before the House is simply a proposition to arm the Congress ...with the power to enforce this bill of rights as it stands in the Constitution today"

Representative Stevens, PA stated that its provisions "are all asserted, in some form or another, in our declaration or organic law. But the Constitution limits only the action of Congress, and is not a limitation on the States. This Amendment supplies that defect, and allows Congress to correct the unjust legislation of the States..."

I could go on, but there's no point as not a single ratification-era source that I've ever read disputes the notion that 14A was intended to enforce the Bill of Rights against the States. Just because the Slaughter-House Cases gutted (no pun intended) the P&I Clause doesn't alter what it says and what the legislative intent was. Future courts have been somewhat hamstrung by that court's wrongheaded reading and application of 14A, but they lack the balls to overturn it. See e.g. Justice Thomas's concurring opinion in McDonald v Chicago. Therefore they have turned to incorporation via substantive due process. It is what it is, and hopefully some future court will consign the Slaughter-House Cases to the trashcan of history and restore P&I's meaning to what it was always intended to be.

ETA: If you read many antebellum cases concerning the RKBA, you will find that many State courts already considered the 2A to be a restriction on the States.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just don't take your gun to church.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The current federal law allows CCW holders to be on school property armed.

This is how some states allow armed teachers.

Most states however make it illegal.

Good to go in Utah.

Just don't take your gun to church.

Last time I checked, there was only one church that banned ccw in their houses worship.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They were too busy expanding the size of government and increasing spending............

Hopefully this passes-hard to say if Obama would pass it or not.Worth a try imo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

«tc2k11»

They were too busy expanding the size of government and increasing spending............

Hopefully this passes-hard to say if Obama would pass it or not.Worth a try imo.

This.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Bill of Rights does not mention restrictions against the States.  If they are not mentioned, they do not exist.  Such is an old principle of law which was still respected at the time.  You can also look at the legislative history of the amendments to see intent.  The Bill of Rights did not need to mention applicability to the Federal government since that is a given being that it is a document constituting the national government; in certain parts it just limits the restriction to acts of Congress (as opposed to the general government).  Only with the rise of incorporation doctrine well after the ratification of the 14th Amendment (a doctrine which is clearly contrary to the intent of the framers of the amendment and does not plainly arise from the language used in the amendment; it is an example of legislation by judicial fiat) was the idea of application of any part of the Bill of Rights to the States taken seriously because that is the core notion included in the doctrine, that the 14th Amendment created a change whereby the Bill of Rights no longer just applies to the national government, but also to those of the several States.

To be opposed to perversions of the Constitution is not the same as to support gun controul legislation.  The two are separate matters.  I certainly won't shed any tears over the adverse effect bad case law may have on California's gun controul laws, though, but I recognize that such is only being accomplished through a perversion of the law and not on account of obedience to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good grief.  What a load of nonsense.  The Bill or Rights says neither Federal nor state so I guess the Bill of Rights does not exist.

Perversion of the law.

OOOHHHHH, you are so edgy and cool and you still haven't showed me where the Bill or Rights does not apply to the states.

Not your interpretation or opinion.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good grief.  What a load of nonsense.  The Bill or Rights says neither Federal nor state so I guess the Bill of Rights does not exist.

Perversion of the law.

OOOHHHHH, you are so edgy and cool and you still haven't showed me where the Bill or Rights does not apply to the states.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perversion of the law.

I already replied to the first.  The Bill of Rights is in a constitution for a national government.  For the constitution of a government to state its applicability to the government in every instance where something is granted, prescribed, or proscribed would be redundant.  Where there applicability to entities not constituted by the document, the document refers to those entities as necessary.  It does not do so with regard to the proscriptions in the Bill of Rights.

And are you seriously asking me to prove a negative?  What in the Bill of Rights and the words of its framers and of the legislative debates indicates inherent applicability to the States?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

«tc2k11»

too many progressives in the ranks
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#21]
In VA the GFSZA has been defanged.

Possession of a firearm in a locked case on school property within a locked vehicle is permissible.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Never  gonna happen
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#23]
A good start.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I already replied to the first.  The Bill of Rights is in a constitution for a national government.  For the constitution of a government to state its applicability to the government in every instance where something is granted, prescribed, or proscribed would be redundant.  Where there applicability to entities not constituted by the document, the document refers to those entities as necessary.  It does not do so with regard to the proscriptions in the Bill of Rights.

And are you seriously asking me to prove a negative?  What in the Bill of Rights and the words of its framers and of the legislative debates indicates inherent applicability to the States?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perversion of the law.

I see no words that indicate that the Bill or Rights do not apply to the states.

You replied alright, more of your OPINION.  That's all it is because you have posted nothing to prove your point.

I didn't ask you to prove a negative.  I asked you to prove where it says that the Bill of Rights only applies against the Federal government.

You post a lot of words to say nothing.

Like I said, according to you, the states are free to just willy nilly violate the rights of citizens.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

«tc2k11»

How about Zero would veto anything they pass.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

«tc2k11»

Yup, never had 60 votes. Dewine, Lugar, Jeffords, Lincoln Chaffee, Greg, Snowe, Collins, Ron Paul, Peter King. Luckily we had the votes for tax cuts, huge federal employment cuts, repeal Clinton's 1994 AWB, Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act etc

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How about Zero would veto anything they pass.

View Quote

+1 now, absolutely. Barry already said he will veto keystone, repeal obamacare 30 hour work week, prohibit daca executive action.

I thought he meant during the Bush years Republicans didn't have the 60 votes.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

«tc2k11»
View Quote

Never believe ANYTHING you read in GD.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Why can't we get a bill for something useful, like NFA repeal, or at least reform.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck anyone who says this.

The second amendment is NOT a states rights issue.   It is a federally protected right reserved for the individual.

The bill of rights does NOT say "These are the rights that we leave up to the states to decide."  The bill of rights is quite simply a list of limits upon government's power.    If you want to interpret that to mean, "hey, its off limits for this government, but that government is fair game" then the ENTIRE system comes crashing down.  

There are a lot of states rights issues that the federal government is screwing around in these days, where they have no business.    But the protection and preservation of our right to keep and bear arms is absolutely a federal issue.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Reagan did not sign this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

«tc2k11»

Reagan did not sign this

No.  He signed other anti-gun legislation which is now being fought over in the courts.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top