Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Try these out...

http://www.amazon.com/7a-m-Platinum-Double-Safety-Blades/dp/B0017ZECA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374533859&sr=8-1&keywords=7am+razor+blades

7 AM Platinum.

I liked them and plan to pick up some more, because for the price they're very competitive.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two shaves of what? Your back?  Those last me a week, shaving 1x per day with and against the grain
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fether Hi-Stainless Platinum Coated (Yellows) are the hands down best razor blade for two shaves.  If you want more shaves out of a blade you need to purchase something else.  After going through a bunch of new blades I am still convinced the that the Astra SP is almost as good as a Feather and a much better blade for the money.

Two shaves of what? Your back?  Those last me a week, shaving 1x per day with and against the grain

No shittin'. I can get SEVEN good shaves out of a Feather.

I'm lucky to get four shaves out of anything else.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Some people like Derby. I'm using Derby Extras right now and I'm not all like  "Fuck this shit!" yet.

I'm not sure how I like them yet, but so far so good. Only been two shaves.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Merkur are the WORST blades, don't EVER buy those fuckin' things!

Derby

Some people like Derby. I'm using Derby Extras right now and I'm not all like  "Fuck this shit!" yet.

I'm not sure how I like them yet, but so far so good. Only been two shaves.

Anytime I shave with a Derby it feels like I just rubbed my face with stinging netttles.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fether Hi-Stainless Platinum Coated (Yellows) are the hands down best razor blade for two shaves.  If you want more shaves out of a blade you need to purchase something else.  After going through a bunch of new blades I am still convinced the that the Astra SP is almost as good as a Feather and a much better blade for the money.

They are the best for two shaves.  On the third shave they are about equal to an Astra SP on its third shave and get progressively worse.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They are the best for two shaves.  On the third shave they are about equal to an Astra SP on its third shave and get progressively worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll have to try the Astra SP... I'm really not sure if I have yet.

I think I need to start a damn shave journal because as stupid as that sounds,

I just can't remember and now have to order more sample packs to see what I like... AGAIN!
eta: I'm pretty sure that I've tried them from a sampler but don't recall how I liked them.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

box of flying eagles and a case of Arko and a man would be set for life
View Quote

Hey!  I like Arko!  A sliver of Arko and a dab of Proraso in a warm mug makes for a nice lather.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope. I always come back to Feather. I've stopped experimenting, anymore. They work. Wish they were cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey!  I like Arko!  A sliver of Arko and a dab of Proraso in a warm mug makes for a nice lather.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was surprised he said that about Arko. A lot of people really seem to like it, and I've been meaning to try it.
My favorite is C.O. Bigelow shave cream from Bath and Bodyworks because it's 3 for $10, shit lasts forever, and it's convenient.

Plus it's a damn fine shave cream by any measure. Scent, lather, cushion, it's all there.

By the way, Bigelow = Proraso.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I likes me some Arko also !!!!! I grate mine into a small screw off - on Tupperware bowl.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No man... Merkurs are bad, don't get me wrong, but Dorco 300's are worse, and the king of the shit-ass blades are Flying Eagles:

http://shaveabuck.com/bmz_cache/5/5de86bb3804e55e401d3dd53b3929c1d.image.750x478.jpg

Arko is fucking awesome.  You fell and hit your head.  Go see a doctor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was surprised he said that about Arko. A lot of people really seem to like it, and I've been meaning to try it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Send me an address IM.  I buy my turkish awesome by the case.

Quoted:

I likes me some Arko also !!!!! I grate mine into a small screw off - on Tupperware bowl.

I just cut it into chunks with a butter knife and stuff it into a bowl.  It's soft like putty.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#12]
now that I have a half decent shave down I cant use anything but feathers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Astras.  Feathers cut me up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for Sharks. Great close shave and very few cuts. I've got like 500 so I will be good for a while, plus I enjoy fat cat laughing as I walk past the razor cartridge section of my local retailer.

DP

Quoted:
Sharks work great for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Feathers are highly regarded and arguably the sharpest... I have had good luck with the Shark Super Chrome blades... plenty sharp...durable and less nicks for me than the Feathers.

http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Double-Safety-Blades-Chrome/dp/B003BWQX46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374523431&sr=8-1&keywords=shark+super+chrome

Sharks work great for me.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Astras.  Feathers cut me up.
View Quote

Astras are good, too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yellow pack Feathers here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

After a lot of experimentation, I settled on the black pack feathers.

Cheaper than yellows, just as smooth, but not as prone to nicks...the only downside is that they don't last as long as regular feathers

Speed

This...  Just ordered 50 from a guy in Japan for like $15.50 shipped.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Feather ftw
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use these:

http://www.friday.com/bbum/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Personna-Scaled.png

Also packed like this:

http://www.rasurpur.de/english/shop/resources/Accessoires/Sonstiges/PERSONNA.jpg

But they are different from these, which I found very rough indeed:

http://www.athealthshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/100-crystal-super-platinum-razor-double-edge-safety-razor-blades-aka-israeli-personnas.jpg

Unfortunately there is no absolute answer to your question.  The best blade for you depends on your technique, your razor, your prep, and your beard.  There are general guidelines for who makes a "sharper" blade, and the Feather yellows are generally at the top of that list, but you just need to try out different quality blades until you find what works for you.
View Quote

Personnas can be confusing.
the red-wrappered ones are great for me.
the 10 pack ones , if they have a white wrapper, suck. I've used 22 blades, and two of them were just sharp enough on one edge to scrape up my skin.
I just ordered some Personna Hospital blades; we'll see...
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm still working my way through my pack of 100 Derbies for $7.35 but this thread makes me want to give Feathers a try.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Personnas can be confusing.
the red-wrappered ones are great for me.
the 10 pack ones , if they have a white wrapper, suck. I've used 22 blades, and two of them were just sharp enough on one edge to scrape up my skin.
I just ordered some Personna Hospital blades; we'll see...
View Quote

Confusing indeed.  I find you can follow along if you pay attention to the blade wrappers though.  The fun part is that there are two different 5 pack red boxes, an early and a later one.  The later 5 pack box is also available in a 10 pack.  Then there's the white plastic cased ones above, "Brit market packaging", with ten in 'em.  All the same red blade wrapper though.

Now the real fun is that on that wrapper, there's a Virginia address for Personna.  Contact them at that address, they deny all knowledge of those blades.  They're made by what is apparently an Israeli subsidiary, and the level of connection between the US and Israeli companies is a matter of debate.  Then, best of all, the fucking things are flown into Mexico for packaging.  

Personna reds have a supply chain that rivals cocaine for it's many murky twists.

I haven't tried to follow the blues or the hospital blades.  The blues didn't work for me and I never did try the hospital blades.  Won't either, not until the reds dry up.  They work perfectly for me, none better, so thats what I use.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I like the persona red pack, comfortable shave and they last for several shaves.   I can only use a feather one time before my beard destroys it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have been using feather razor blades and they seem to be pretty good, but wanting to know if there are any better ones out there?

Derby, Astra, etc...........???
View Quote
i bought 12 different blades... after all of those, i found Astra to be the best for me

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No man... Merkurs are bad, don't get me wrong, but Dorco 300's are worse, and the king of the shit-ass blades are Flying Eagles:

http://shaveabuck.com/bmz_cache/5/5de86bb3804e55e401d3dd53b3929c1d.image.750x478.jpg

Arko is the tits.

Edit: I'm trying out the Arko cream now. It's not too bad actually. I like the Arko bars but the water here is so hard it's tough to get a good lather with bar soap.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh, and while we're in the same neighborhood, let me repeat.

Say no to the lilac vegetal.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Oh, and while we're in the same neighborhood, let me repeat.

Say no to the lilac vegetal.  

http://home.comcast.net/~tgfmo/vegetal.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Another vote for Feathers.  I get 5 days out of one blade.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#29]
astra sp, mitchels wool fat, and gillette super speed
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Straight razor>feather>gillette black>Astra>persona

I wish I could send you some but I have pretty much given them all away.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Personna double edge hospital prep blades from Robbins Medical.  Buy the big box.  Here 250 blades for $55.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After a lot of experimentation, I settled on the black pack feathers.
Cheaper than yellows, just as smooth, but not as prone to nicks...the only downside is that they don't last as long as regular feathers

Speed

This, I just got a 10 pack from Amazon
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:03:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Personna double edge hospital prep blades from Robbins Medical.  Buy the big box.  Here 250 blades for $55.
View Quote
I have heard good things about these.  I may try them out.  

I gave up on the Israeli blades, never knew for sure what to order or what I was I got.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:57:45 AM EDT
[#34]
I have settled pretty much on the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, the blue pak made in Russia, not the black pak from India.
And I've tried many blades.

For my face, the perfect combo of sharp and smooth. Good for 4 or 5 good shaves.

The Feathers are the sharpest by a wide margin, but for me they are too harsh.  
And they only last 2 shaves.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I tried most blades. I settled on Persona Prep Blades.

Sharp as hell and long lasting. And reasonably priced as well. I think I paid $27 per 100.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#36]
I just like to ruffle feathers about Arko

it just has that smell.... you either love it or hate it
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

it just has that smell.... you either love it or hate it
View Quote

It has basically no smell after it airs out.

It's pretty much a tie between Astra and Shark blades for me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I bought a ton of them to try out.  I really like the yellow pack Feather blades, the Gillette blades are pretty good.  The Lord blades seem like they last longer, but they slice my face to shreds.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Feathers are my go-to, but I also like Derby Extra. Astras are good, so are Personnas. Bic chrome platinums feel like shaving with jagged pig iron, but some swear by them

I really do think it depends heavily on your skin, beard, and personal preference. Kiss a bunch of frogs. . .
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#40]
I use the red pack of Personna "platinum" blades from www.westcoastshaving.com. They're a great deal. A 100 pack lasts me years. I shave two times a week (once if I can get away with it ) and the blades last me a month each. When I ran out of blades from my first order I used the last blade for probably 3-4 months. I finally ponied up and bought 200 more. I guess there is some debate on whether they are made in Israel and imported to Mexico for packaging or made in Mexico, but either way they work great.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Red-Personna-Israeli-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades-100-Blades_p_19.html
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Gillette 7oclock are very good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Feather blades chewed my face up.  

I'm happy with the Dorco blades I use now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's pretty much what I found.  I think Feathers probably work great for guys
with a softer beard growth, but I only get 3 or 4 days out of them.  Astras I can
use for over a week, shaving every day ... 2 passes.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Another for Feathers.  And yes, it's only good for two shaves.

Ironically, the worst shave I had was from Merkur's blade.  Great razor, bad blade.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Yellow pack Feathers.

I've also had luck with Shark razors and the Astra are OK too... but the Feathers are the best.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Word about soap/cream. Arko's smell is, uh unique to put it mildly and thus I don't really care for it. I prefer Mitchell's 'Wool Fat' which is a hard soap, it really has no smell which turns off some but it makes up for it in it's performance.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Word about soap/cream. Arko's smell is, uh unique to put it mildly and thus I don't really care for it. I prefer Mitchell's 'Wool Fat' which is a hard soap, it really has no smell which turns off some but it makes up for it in it's performance.
View Quote
I use Proraso. A little dab'll do ya.

I've never tried another brand of cream (there may be some better ones?), because I'm kind of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy. The only soaps I've used are the drug store variety, and I was...less than impressed.

I do use John Allan's Slick Water as a pre-shave.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never tried another brand of cream (there may be some better ones?), because I'm kind of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy. The only soaps I've used are the drug store variety, and I was...less than impressed.

I do use John Allan's Slick Water as a pre-shave.

Bigelow is Proraso green and when there's a sale at Bath & Bodyworks, 3 for $10, I think it's a lot cheaper.

They don't have Sandalwood, just the minty tingly kind.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

it just has that smell.... you either love it or pee sitting down
View Quote

Fixed.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top