Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
BTW, you can have multiple user profiles on a Nexus 10. That's pretty handy, if you like to let other people in your family use it, and don't want them reading your email and what not.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

BTW, you can have multiple user profiles on a Nexus 10. That's pretty handy, if you like to let other people in your family use it, and don't want them reading your email and what not.

Yep.  Came out in the latest Jelly Bean 4.2 update.

Haven't tried it yet though.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Switching users takes a few seconds, but it's pretty cool. I can honestly say, it's a feature I wish iOS had. I don't like handing my iPad to random people, or even letting my kids fart around on it, unsupervised.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Switching users takes a few seconds, but it's pretty cool. I can honestly say, it's a feature I wish iOS had. I don't like handing my iPad to random people, or even letting my kids fart around on it, unsupervised.  

I did hear an internet rumor that you can't share apps though.  True?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That, I don't know. I've only played with a coworker's for a bit today. He just got it yesterday.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That, I don't know. I've only played with a coworker's for a bit today. He just got it yesterday.  

I'll have to set up a second user tonight and see.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have ipad2, ipod, several android devices, they all get used the same way, I really see little difference between any of them except Android has more free stuff than ipad, Itunes is very expensive versus anything else.

Any new Android device is going to be nice, I have one of the cheapest Android pantech digital devices and it works great other than battery life but Im next to plugin most of the time.

Samsung Android devices are nice.

Nexus is Nice.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Does an iPad mini qualify?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Nexus 10 because it has the best screen out or a Windows 8 tablet.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#11]
my wife loves her nook and has been using the hell out of it for the last year... were looking at nexus 7 for the kid her head is going to asplode no matter what she gets
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I just received my Nook HD today.  Incredible if you are into reading.

Best screen out for 7 inch tablets.

Word, son.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nexus 7

Best bang for the buck in a tablet.

PERIOD.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nexus 7 or Nexus 10...
http://www.google.com/nexus/

With the Nook or Kindle you get a gimped Android OS that tries to lock you into their services. With the Nexus tablet you get the latest Android OS that can be easily unlocked and rooted to add other customized Android firmwares.

That'd be my vote as well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you buy the Nexus 10 somewhere besides Google Play?  I would like to actually see one in person.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can you buy the Nexus 10 somewhere besides Google Play?  I would like to actually see one in person.

I don't think so quite yet.  You'd have to look around, but I do know Gamestop (IIRC) had the N7 when it came out.

I'd consider a Nexus 10 in the future, because it's got a nice pixel-dense screen, and I might be able to use it for picture browsing if I'm away from home shooting pictures.  With a cheap USB host cable (of which I already have a couple), I could use a card reader and transfer pictures from my DSLR memory to the device and then browse and 'weed' through pictures before I get home.  I'd need to see if it supports the Canon CR2 RAW file format, tho.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think so quite yet.  You'd have to look around, but I do know Gamestop (IIRC) had the N7 when it came out.

I'd consider a Nexus 10 in the future, because it's got a nice pixel-dense screen, and I might be able to use it for picture browsing if I'm away from home shooting pictures.  With a cheap USB host cable (of which I already have a couple), I could use a card reader and transfer pictures from my DSLR memory to the device and then browse and 'weed' through pictures before I get home.  I'd need to see if it supports the Canon CR2 RAW file format, tho.

I use an eye-fi SD card to sling all my photos to my iPad from my DSLR.  New cameras are coming out with built in wireless so it will be even better.

Hell, the software can have my images posting to photo bucket as I shoot!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Added a second user to my Nexus 7.  None of my apps are accessible by the second user, not even the free ones.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Added a second user to my Nexus 7.  None of my apps are accessible by the second user, not even the free ones.

That sucks.  I was seriously thinking about a Nexus 10 and the multi user thing was a big positive.  Didn't even cross my mind that apps would have to be installed separately per user.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Why no love for the Kindle Fire HD? As I think I may be getting one for Christmas.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Out of all the Tablets out there besides the iPad, hands down the best tablet is the Microsoft Surface.

Include the iPad and it is a tie between it and the Surface. Not because they are equal, but because they are both amazing devices and with different strengths. The Surface is the new kid on the block and is missing a lot of apps, however they are on their way and what it lacks in apps, it makes up in innovation. Make no mistake, the future of tablets is computers. Microsoft has it right. One operating system for everything. They have a few things that need to be addressed but they have the concept right.

The iPad is the best tablet IMO at this time. That said, the Surface is in a position to revolutionize the tablet market.

As far as Android tablets go, they are cheap and numerous. I was a HUGE proponent of Google and Android but after a couple years, I've had it with them. Android isn't a real operating system. Google had a real shot and they blew it. If you think Linux is a real operating system then yeah, Android is for you. Except Android is even worse with a lot of bugs, no good Google media apps, and a new version of Android out every 3 months which you never get an update. If you do for chance get an update, you only get one and if you are not a Google phone, you are always at least one update behind the "current" version.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#22]
i really like samsung tablets, but i think the asus functionality with te dockable keyboard is the one i ended up going with.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Out of all the Tablets out there besides the iPad, hands down the best tablet is the Microsoft Surface.

Include the iPad and it is a tie between it and the Surface. Not because they are equal, but because they are both amazing devices and with different strengths. The Surface is the new kid on the block and is missing a lot of apps, however they are on their way and what it lacks in apps, it makes up in innovation. Make no mistake, the future of tablets is computers. Microsoft has it right. One operating system for everything. They have a few things that need to be addressed but they have the concept right.

The iPad is the best tablet IMO at this time. That said, the Surface is in a position to revolutionize the tablet market.
As far as Android tablets go, they are cheap and numerous. I was a HUGE proponent of Google and Android but after a couple years, I've had it with them. Android isn't a real operating system. Google had a real shot and they blew it. If you think Linux is a real operating system then yeah, Android is for you. Except Android is even worse with a lot of bugs, no good Google media apps, and a new version of Android out every 3 months which you never get an update. If you do for chance get an update, you only get one and if you are not a Google phone, you are always at least one update behind the "current" version.

To much fail to bother with.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I tagged this thread , I was going to get my son a kindle fire HD for Christmas but now Im up in the air on it . If I was buying for me it would be a nexus 7 but he had a brain tumor at 3 years old and is 14 now that resulted in hearing loss and other side effects . Ive read that the Kindle has about the best speaker setup on the market so thats why it is still in play for him . He is going to spend most of his time reading and playing games on it  , he might watch netflix on it time to time when we go camping . When he plays on mine and the wifes phones he uses the bible app alot that reads aloud to you and playing angry birds so I assume it would be the same on the tablet.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

To much fail to bother with.

I can make faces too

Don't think it helps the OP
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nexus 7

2nd post this time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Any thoughts on the Galaxy Note 10.1"?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Depends on the size of the tablet that you want.  Best bang for your buck will be the Nexus 7 or 10
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Try walmart.  I know for a fact that they have the nexus 7....they will likely get the 10 as well
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.  I was seriously thinking about a Nexus 10 and the multi user thing was a big positive.  Didn't even cross my mind that apps would have to be installed separately per user.

I thought that you can setup multiple accounts on one account.  I will have to test this.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why no love for the Kindle Fire HD? As I think I may be getting one for Christmas.

Kindles have a dumbed down version of Android OS.  Amazon pretty much ruined the Android experience.  That's why
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I tagged this thread , I was going to get my son a kindle fire HD for Christmas but now Im up in the air on it . If I was buying for me it would be a nexus 7 but he had a brain tumor at 3 years old and is 14 now that resulted in hearing loss and other side effects . Ive read that the Kindle has about the best speaker setup on the market so thats why it is still in play for him . He is going to spend most of his time reading and playing games on it  , he might watch netflix on it time to time when we go camping . When he plays on mine and the wifes phones he uses the bible app alot that reads aloud to you and playing angry birds so I assume it would be the same on the tablet.  

The kindle fire, isn't nearly as loud as the nexus 7.  I don't know how good the Fire HD is though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Depends on the size of the tablet that you want.  Best bang for your buck will be the Nexus 7 or 10

I want a 10", but I want to be able to try it out in person first, which I can't do with the Nexus 10.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want a 10", but I want to be able to try it out in person first, which I can't do with the Nexus 10.

Like I said in a different post....Check your local Walmart.

Link

I just checked walmarts website.  They don't have it yet

FYI: The galaxy tab 2 is also a great tablet
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said in a different post....Check your local Walmart.

Link

I just checked walmarts website.  They don't have it yet

FYI: The galaxy tab 2 is also a great tablet

That's already been disputed in this thread.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Check out the Nexus 7 at your local WalMart.  Aside from size, the 10 will be pretty close to the same as far as the way it works goes.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kindles have a dumbed down version of Android OS.  Amazon pretty much ruined the Android experience.  That's why

That's what I don't get... I'm looking for the Why"s. Most of us are simple users...we browse the web...watch videos..play some games...I don"t want to be a complete geek. What would I be missing out if I did not get a nexus??

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The kindle fire, isn't nearly as loud as the nexus 7.  I don't know how good the Fire HD is though.

Then if you don't know, How can you say the Nexus is louder???

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#39]
If you can't get the Ipad go ahead and get the Iphone.

Kindle Fire is pretty decent. My parents seem to like them, they are pretty affordable too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I don't get... I'm looking for the Why"s. Most of us are simple users...we browse the web...watch videos..play some games...I don"t want to be a complete geek. What would I be missing out if I did not get a nexus??

My understanding is you are also locked into Amazon's App store.  Not a huge issue for most, but the Google Play App store has a lot more stuff available.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is you are also locked into Amazon's App store.  Not a huge issue for most, but the Google Play App store has a lot more stuff available.

So how many apps are enough??
Would the typical user be satisfied with the app selection off Amazon?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So how many apps are enough??

Would the typical user be satisfied with the app selection off Amazon?

Yes, I think so.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm checking out the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" and it looks pretty nice.  Lots of good features, I like the textbook access since my wife is in school, I like the cloud storage so I don't have to worry about expanding the capacity, looks like plenty of apps and content expecially since its connected to Amazon's entire media selection.  And $300 is a good price I think.  Yay, more to consider!  I hate researching products!

You know what, forget it, I'm not buying a tablet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I convinced my wife that 7" is enough to make her happy and picked up a Nexus 7 on the way home from work.  It's charging now, you people better be right about this!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew that the first kindle fire was quieter.  The Kindle Fire HD I wasn't sure about, but I can now confirm that it is much quieter.  I did comparison tests between my dad's Kindle Fire HD and my Nexus 7.  The Nexus 7 beats it in loudness and speed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:49:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I convinced my wife that 7" is enough to make her happy and picked up a Nexus 7 on the way home from work.  It's charging now, you people better be right about this!

The nexus 7 is an excellent tablet.  She will be happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The nexus 7 is an excellent tablet.  She will be happy with it.

Yep.  Hasn't been a day gone by that I haven't used mine since I got it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Samsung Galaxy 2 7" with gift card special seems to be an easy choice.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Is there a good tablet that will fit in a back pocket and is bigger than an itouch?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew that the first kindle fire was quieter.  The Kindle Fire HD I wasn't sure about, but I can now confirm that it is much quieter.  I did comparison tests between my dad's Kindle Fire HD and my Nexus 7.  The Nexus 7 beats it in loudness and speed.

Thanks for the side by side . Going to look for a nexus.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top