Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, the way I look at it is this:

Most comedies have a "straight" guy, as in dry or level-headed. This character was down-to-earth and usually never the center of any jokes. Taxi had one (Judd Hirsch), Seinfeld had one (Jerry Seinfeld), All in the Family had one (Rob Reiner, "Meathead"), and Cheers had a couple of semi-straightmen (Kelsey Grammar and Ted Danson). These two weren't in the exact mold of straightmen because their characters actually engaged in comic relief. The truest examples of "straightmen" on Cheers were actually women (Shelley Long and Kirstey Alley). Of this group, I think the best is either Jerry Seinfeld or Rob Reiner.

Next, comedies always have a "stooge," or a character who uses physical comedy and is the main focus of comic relief. Seinfeld's was obvious (Michael Richards). All in the Family's comic relief character was obviously Archie (Carrol O'Connor), Cheers had an entire cast devoted to the comic relief duties (Nicolas Colasanto, John Ratzenburger, Woody Harrelson, George Wendt).  Taxi's comic relief came in the tandem of two characters (played by Danny Devito and Christopher Lloyd). Of these, there are four characters that rise far above the rest: Seinfeld's Richards, All in the Family's O'Connor, and Taxi's Devito and Lloyd. All were the best examples of this type of character.

One thing Seinfeld had that helps to trump the others is perhaps the best "loser" in the history of television: George (Jason Alexander). Add in the great surrounding cast members that came and went and it'd be hard not to go with Seinfeld as the best sitcom ever. If I had to rate them, this is where I'd put them:

1. Seinfeld
2. Taxi
3. Cheers
4. All in the Family
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#2]
King of Queens..........................So so so funny and PLUS you get to look at THE most beautiful woman on TV, Leah Remini, starring as Carrie Heffernen.  Whats not to like?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Seinfeld used to annoy me, since most things that mass amounts of people jump on the bandwagon for annoy me.  However, I started watching reruns on TBS....that's a funny friggin' show.

FRIGHTENED TURTLE.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
serenity now
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
serenity now

I don't think you're supposed to shout it!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Seinfeld, but Married, With Children is 2nd though.

Jason Alexander perfectly captured the "Loser" Character perfectly in Seinfeld.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I voted Seinfeld, but if married with children were a choice it would have gotten my vote. Al Bundy was the fuckin man!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
South Park

10th season is starting in two weeks, I consider that to be long running.

+1

Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Runner up is arfcom general discussion.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Seinfeld by far.... South Park would be a close 2nd.

Live action only. I'm trying to stay away from cartoons (Simpsons, South Park, etc).

OK, I vote for seinfeld then.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
MASH

Yep
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Married With Children, hands down.

Everyone watches it and thinks it's a documentary about their life
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm very surprised at how many All in the Family fans there are here. That was one of the most liberal shows ever put on TV (with one of the most liberal producers). I have a hard time ever watching it after seeing the anti-gun episode (Archie tries to defend house with Luger, but the two invading black guys just stand there and lecutre him about social inequality/how racism forced them into their position/why guns are horrible, and then leave with no loot and a smile... ).

But my vote is for "I Love Lucy", with "The Andy Griffith Show" being a fairly close second.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
MASH

Oh Yay, the much hyped finale of MASH.  Read the next paragraph and I'll save you three precious hours of your life.  

And they were sitting on a bus and chicken was clucking, and he choked the chicken...heh heh...but it wasn't a chicken, it was a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.  Ok....two more hours of this shit?  Bla bla bla.  Why the hell are all the PFCs and Corporals in the Korean war era army 40 years old?  Bla bla bla.  The ugly, shriveled up hag they got to play the part of a hot nurse cries over something.  Bla bla bla.  Everyone hugs, makes up, and participates in a big circle jerk.  Even the people who hate each other.  Bla Bla Bla.  Someone who apparently had an important role on the show dies.  Who cares? Bla bla bla.  Attention, the war is over. DUH DUH DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH.  And they all stand around like mopey assholes.  THE END.

Fuck MASH.  The only show worse than MASH was After MASH.  And possibly After After MASH.  And the show starring Radar as a cop.  And Trapper John MD.  Fuck MASH.

By the way, I vote Married with Children...
Followed closely by Cheers.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#15]
No, I retract my previous post.  You guys reminded me of All in the Family.

ALL IN THE FAMILY IS AND WILL BE FOR ALL TIME THE WORST TELEVISION SHOW EVER CREATED!

Consider my votes submitted.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#16]
What about "The Beverly Hillbillies"..."I Dream of Jeannie"...or..."Gilligan's Island"?
Now those were the days....
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

ALL IN THE FAMILY IS AND WILL BE FOR ALL TIME THE WORST TELEVISION SHOW EVER CREATED!

K.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#18]
M*A*S*H
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Seinfeld by a landslide.

"What's your name going to be?"
"Burt Har...binson, Burt Harbinson"
"That sounds made up."
"Okay...Art Cor...valet. Art Colvalet"

Haha, George is hilarious. All his made up Architect names are two one sylable names, then he ads something to the end of the last name. Vandalet, was golden.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Seinfeld by a landslide.

"That sounds made up."

Haha, George is hilarious. All his made up Architect names are two one sylable names, then he ads something to the end of the last name. Vandalet, was golden.

I'm laughing right now at that....
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Seinfeld by a landslide.

"That sounds made up."

Art Vandelay, Vandelay Industries

LMAO
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#22]
None of the above
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

K.

TV angers me.  I seldom watch it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#24]
What, no one thinks Petticoat Junction was good?  Bobbi Jo was one hot vixen.

Actually, I would probably have to say The Beverly Hillbillies.  That was a classic.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Without a doubt, Seinfeld.  At least in my humble opinion, anyway.  Is there a poll coming?

I think there's too many youngsters voting. Taxi was hilarious but unfortunately not as long-running as Seinfeld.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Seinfeld
Married with children
Southpark

Honorable mention to
Mr. Ed and Alf
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Seinfeld and Married with children
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
MASH

+1 no MASH?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#29]
The technical camera work of All In The Family was simply beyond anything else before or since. It was just perfect. ....But "sitcom" means situation comedy, and All In The Family and MASH were rather dramatic much of the time with their subject matter.

Barney Miller was another good one--but not always really a comedy.

Seineld was pretty funny, but it generally didn't have much of a plot. The best episode was the final one, where they had a bunch of the people in court who the four had inadvertently ripped or pissed off at one time or another.

It wasn't an option, but I thought WKRP in Cincinnati was pretty funny most of the time.

This and Barney Miller were similar in that they used very few sets--Barney Miller was mostly shot on the "precinct" set, and only ever used four or five different sets total, for the entire seven-year run.
~
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:40:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
"Married with Children"  

+1
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:50:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
none of the above

Simpsons+ Married with Children

+ MASH

and one day, Family Guy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Without a doubt, Seinfeld.  At least in my humble opinion, anyway.  Is there a poll coming?

I think there's too many youngsters voting. Taxi was hilarious but unfortunately not as long-running as Seinfeld.

I guess you could call me a "tweener." I'm old enough to know that Taxi was hilarious, but too young to know anything about The Andy Griffith Show or Petticoat Junction.

You are right, though. Taxi was kick-ass funny. It was loaded with talented stars. Heck, it's worth watching just to see Danny Devito!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:11:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Barney Miller was another good one--but not always really a comedy.

It wasn't an option, but I thought WKRP in Cincinnati was pretty funny most of the time.

This and Barney Miller were similar in that they used very few sets--Barney Miller was mostly shot on the "precinct" set, and only ever used four or five different sets total, for the entire seven-year run.

I've seen a bunch of Barney Miller episodes. Very, very funny show. That's why I mentioned it in my first post. However, of the dozens of episodes I've seen, I never saw any other set than the precinct office.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks npd.......that made me feel almost as good as getting carded at the packie (which hasn't happened in a looooooooooong time )

I loved Taxi.  Sometimes I find myself randomly whisteling the theme song, and in my mind seeing the taxi drive over the bridge.   I just think Seinfeld is ("was", technically) so progressive and imaginative with its ideas, plots, many subplots, and character diversity, that it out-does the rest of the classic sitcoms.  Just one "youngster's" opinion, I guess.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you could call me a "tweener." I'm old enough to know that Taxi was hilarious, but too young to know anything about The Andy Griffith Show or Petticoat Junction.

You are right, though. Taxi was kick-ass funny. It was loaded with talented stars. Heck, it's worth watching just to see Danny Devito!

By that definition, W.G., I guess I'd be a "tweener" too.  Hell, my real age is prolly way ahead of my chronological age when it comes to my sitcom taste, because I prefer the older ones by far over today's junk (mostly).  I often wish they'd bring back The Andy Griffith Show, The Little Rascals, Leave it to Beaver, F Troop, McHale's Navy, etc. in place of the Garbage that's churned out nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Not to hijack the thread from Wobblin-Goblin's original choices, but who here remembers the old Thursday night lineup of (I'll probably screw up the order) The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers, then Night Court, all followed by LA Law (which I never got into)?  God, how I yearn for the days when prime time sitcoms were actually good (even though I'd have to TiVo them all now )
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#37]
MASH.

Don't believe I've seen a whole episode of the poll choices - I wasn't impressed so surfed on...

WKRP in Cinci is second.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Decaf, dude...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#39]

clinton administration
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Decaf, dude...

LOL. I thought it was pretty funny, actually.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Locked per request ... new poll coming. Paul
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top