User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Jim Taylor
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#2]
This thread is racist!  IBTL!  I'm telling!  Neener neener!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Career stats:

Unfair to compare lifetime rushing stats because Riggins played in 29 more games than Csonka.  Csonka had a higher yards per average carry: 4.3 to 3.9 while Riggins was a by far better pass receiver.

The best... I would go with Jim Taylor
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#4]
All I can say is I want Darryl Johnston blocking for him whoever ya'll decide.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Al Bundy, four touch-downs in one game.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Travis Jervey!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Riggins.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Three pages and not one mention of Red Grange. The first national NFL hero. He was Jim Brown before there was Jim Brown. This man was the bedrock that the league was built on!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Larry Csonka was a beast, and an integral part of the greatest season in NFL history.  Paul Hornung was very versatile and graceful.  They'd make a nice, non-PC backfield.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+!

Riggins held the record for most touchdowns in a season, 25, for almost 15 years till Emmit broke the record.

P.S. Cowboys suck, GO SKINS!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I hate the Redskins but I'll admit that Riggins was good.

However, Larry Csonka was better, IMO, because he racked up stats on a team LOADED with talent like Jim Kiick, Paul Warfield, Mercury Morris and Griese.

I was heavily into football when Riggins was playing and he was pretty much THE SHOW with the Redskins. It was amazing that teams knew they were gonna get RIGGINS, RIGGINS, (maybe) PASS and more RIGGINS and it worked. But then again, the 'Skins had likely the best O Line in the history of the game. (<grudgingly admitted, by a former Cowboys fan)

I also was able to catch some of Walt Garrison's play. He was a tough motherfucker in an age when all the NFL players were tough.

I can't comment on guys like Red Grange or Branko Nagurski. I was still swimming in Pop's balls when those guys played.

Dom Ameche looked to be a tough dude. Paul Hornung was one of the wild guys that was good, long before the league ever heard of Stabler.

Donnie Anderson was good, Moose Johnston was double-tough.

Anyone remember Steve Owens?????
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Bronco Nagurski played tackle and running back for the Bears and they won a couple of championships.  Pretty unique player, also passed (famous jump pass to Red Grange).

John David Crowe is another.  Played for the Cardinals.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He could have been but Gale Sayers was in league all his own.  

Barring knee injuries, Gale Sayers would have been so far ahead of anyone who ever played the position, people would have no idea who Jim Brown was.

That's how good Gale Sayers was. Barry Sanders moves. Eric Dickerson Speed. Walter Payton balance.

For three or four years, no one came close.

Gayle Sayers was good, no doubt!  But if you want to talk about what might have been, there are several guys that deserve more consideration... Bo Jackson comes to mind.    
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#15]
 Hokie Gajan
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Best running back of all time, that would be Red Grange. Best in the NFL...that would be Rocky Bleier. Sorry...just saw the ole Robert Urich movie the other day.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I can remember Riggins pounding it time after time, even when all 11 people knew he was gonna run it up the middle, and dmanit he would pound through everyone and get a first down. Dont get caught like the earlier pic, as he loved to walk right over you..

I also remember him needing the oxygen crackpipe to keep playing.

He was almost Lyle Alzado like in his crazed focus and superhuman ability.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I hate the Redskins but I'll admit that Riggins was good.

However, Larry Csonka was better, IMO, because he racked up stats on a team LOADED with talent like Jim Kiick, Paul Warfield, Mercury Morris and Griese.

I was heavily into football when Riggins was playing and he was pretty much THE SHOW with the Redskins.

See, this to me would prove that Riggins was better than Czonka.  Defenses could tee off on Riggins, where as you state with a loaded team the defense could not concentrate on Csonka. Definite advantage to Csonka. As stated earlier, Csonka's carrying average was a wee bit better but Riggins was a far better receiver than Csonka.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Three pages and not one mention of Red Grange. The first national NFL hero. He was Jim Brown before there was Jim Brown. This man was the bedrock that the league was built on!

I'm sure in 50 years a lot of ppl. will forget who Babe Ruth is...its sad
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#20]
It is still Riggins......I dont see him being de-thorned anytime soon either
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I figure it's a tie between Riggins and Czonka.

The first NFL game I ever watched was the Superbowl, when Miami stomped Minnesota.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:39:35 AM EDT
[#22]
The other thing that makes me say Czonka might be better than  Riggins is that Riggins had arguably the best offensive line EVER in the Hogs.

*** I **** could  have gained a 1,000 yards per season with those guys making holes for me.

Not that Miami's offensive line was bad, its just that D coordinators were behind the times, and the Redskins O line outweighed the avg D line by about 30 lbs per player.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top