Link Posted: 1/4/2005 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Rainbow Six
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Rainbow Six and Without Remorse
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't realize that Tom Clancy wrote novels.  I thought he wrote screenplays that hadn't yet been made into movies.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#6]
It would be helpful if people also posted which ones they've read as well as thier favorites.

I've read Patriot Games, Hunt for Red October, Clear/Present Danger, Cardinal of the Kremlin, and Rainbow Six. Clear/Present Danger was the only one I couldn't quite finish, just too long (but good). Cardinal is a lot better than most people say, but I think Hunt for Red October just barely is the best. They're all pretty equal on the good scale as far as I've read.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
First Jack Ryan = Hunt for Red October.
Best = Without Remorse (Of course that is my opinion)

+1
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#8]
#1 Red Storm Rising
#2 Hunt for Red October
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:27:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I always liked the game Rainbow Six
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Red Storm Rising
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:43:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Red Storm Rising.

Mini rant--I couldn't believe it when pansy-ass Willem DaFoe was cast as John Clark in Clear and Present Danger.  Definitely not what I picture as Clark.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:28:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Have read them all a number of times, I am still a bit partial to Patriot Games.

Bear & The Dragon is top notch, too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:41:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, DaFoe should never have even been considered for Clark.
But then, they rape the books anyway, so what's it matter?  Clancy himself has said that he knows the studio is going to ruin the book so he just goes for the most money.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought Red Storm Rising was awesome, and Hunt for Red October was really good.

After that, his books seemed to start to head into the crapper, and I totally gave up on him a long time ago.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My personal favorites are the Debt of Honor/Executive Orders pair.

</bucking trend>

I would say that while they're good books, those two novels are better remembered (for me) as having some of the best "scenes" in all of his books.

The part where the older Secret Service guy defends Ryan's kids gets me choked up every time. I've reread that passage probably 8 or 9 times and still does it.

(I tried not to ruin it for anybody who hasn't read it - it's excellently written, some of Clancy's (or his ghost writers) best writing IMHO)

Edit: What the heck? I searched Amazon but can't find which book that scene was in... Hope this was one of them. I thought it was DOH or EO...
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The part where the older Secret Service guy defends Ryan's kids gets me choked up every time. I've reread that passage probably 8 or 9 times and still does it.

Edit: What the heck? I searched Amazon but can't find which book that scene was in... Hope this was one of them. I thought it was DOH or EO...

It is in Executive Orders. Chapter 42. That scene gets to me also.

Also love the end of that one...

"Mr. Daryaei, here is the reply of the United States of America."

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 for Without Remorse
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
First Jack Ryan = Hunt for Red October.

I'd do Patriot Games first, then Red October.

I'd read them in chronological order...
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#19]
If you want to start at the beginning go with Without Remorse, but I would recommend starting with Patriot Games.
The story order actually goes
Without Remorse -> Patriot Games -> Red Rabbit -> Hunt for Red October -> Cardinal of the Kremlin -> Clear & Present Danger -> The Sum of All Fears -> Debt of Honor -> Executive Orders -> Rainbow Six -> The Bear & The Dragon -> The Teeth of the Tiger.

Oh, and I love RSR.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
IMHO The Cardinal of the Kremlin is the best written.

+1

Patriot Games (and not the movie version) a very close second.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Red Storm Rising
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Verdict is in, looks like I will start with Red Storm Rising.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Hunt for Red October

5sub
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Red Storm Rising, without question or doubt
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Red Storm Rising, then Hunt for Red October.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you want to start at the beginning go with Without Remorse, but I would recommend starting with Patriot Games.
The story order actually goes
Without Remorse -> Patriot Games -> Red Rabbit -> Hunt for Red October -> Cardinal of the Kremlin -> Clear & Present Danger -> The Sum of All Fears -> Debt of Honor -> Executive Orders -> Rainbow Six -> The Bear & The Dragon -> The Teeth of the Tiger.

Oh, and I love RSR.

Yeah, that's the correct order. It's kinda strange because that isn't the order they were written in, though. All of those follow essentially the same characters around. The seniority of the characters, and therefore the scope of the plots, gets higher and higher the further you go.

I like the series because the events are so realistic. If you spend a while reading one, you may find yourself thinking that the story is really happening. Because of that, there's usually more time spent on politics/personal interaction and spy games then action.

Red Storm Rising is independent of the others, though. It has a lot more action then the other books, and it's interesting how all of the individual characters' actions twist together.

As for the things I don't like, he seems kinda naive at times. And after all those books and all time time he must have spent researching military systems, he still can't figure out the correct way to carry 1911s and BHPs.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top