BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
PUPPIES...girls love puppies.

Even though the SHTF, we still have needs.

The breed does not even matter, GIRLS LOVE PUPPIES...
View Quote

And I just love petting the girls' puppies.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#3]

A well-trained Doberman. Absolutely no doubt.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Warm weather-Anatolian Shepherd
Cold Weather-Caucasian Ovcharka

Both are not recommended as pets. But for SHTF, you got a man killer to watch your six.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#5]
IMO A good compromise for hunting/protection dog would be a Rottweiler, bread with a German Shorthair or Labrador Retriever.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]
My SHTF dog is my black lab, Fred (Frederick Wilhelm). He knows (I tell him and he listens intently)- that when the shit hits the fan, we call in the FPFs and I blow the claymores...he is with me...
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the challenges about planning for SHTF, is you still need to live your life the other 99.99% of the time when the SHasn'tHTF.

So you'd want a dog who would be a

-great family member
-natural guard dog
-long ranged, solid, semi-independent hunter.
-eats just about anything.
-doesn't shed much at all, and is virtually odor free (hey! my wife hates dog hair)

And you get a.... Rhodesian Ridgeback.

100 lbs of solid muscle & bone. Fiercely loyal, without all the overbreeding of aggression of pitts and rotts, and way more structurally sound than GSDs. most RRs can live at least 10-12 healthy and sound years.

This is a combo sight-scent hound, with a lot of independent thinking. He's not the best at any one thing, but they were bred to guard the family farm, corner dangerous prey for the hunter (a pack of RRs will trap a lion), alert the family of intruders, and play with the children..

Our 12 week old puppy is great at playing with the kids, I'll let you know about the other factors as he gets older.

Regards,
Francis
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
If F=Floor in STHF, I can point out a dog for you.
Otherwise he is the SHTC dog.
BTW: C=Carpet

Only a pup yet but there are incidences.....
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
FrancisB, YES SIR!  
Rhodesian Ridgeback's are great all around dogs. They will keep you in rabbits and squirrels, and hogs if you've got them (they were used to hunt lions, after all, so they know a thing or two about evasion).  I taught mine hand signals in one afternoon.  Stop, forward, left, right.  Even if she didn't see the rabbit, I could walk her right up to it.  Very serious and understand their place in the pack.  God I miss that dog.
I have two labs now, just big good-natured goofs.  Lots of fun, but not SHTF companions.  Now old Saleka the RR, she'd cover your six.  She could say my first name.  Really weird.  Would scare people when they heard it.  She would also smile.  Looked like she was baring her fangs, but was just a huge grin.

For those of you talking about cooking Fido: For Shame!
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/EricE%2FD%2Ejpg[/img]

[b][red]ALL YOUR PATHETIC SHTF DOGS ARE BELONG TO DEBO![/b][/red]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#13]
German Sheperds.........no contest.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top