BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm getting my principal certification right now. They have cracked down on the discussions. "I agree" wont count, and if you post all of your discussions at once, it's only half credit.

I generally see what the majority opinion is, then start posting the opposite viewpoint. Makes for some discussions, and the professors seem to like the devil's advocate.

At OP: why not just go to your undergrad university and see if they have an MBA program?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:Discussion posts are worthless

...and yet still better than any in-person student-led discussion I ever saw in 5 years of B&M school.

In my experience it was the 2 or 3 blowhard asskissers in class who would post all the discussion topics, and then everyone else would just post a wordy version of "yeah, I agree with that" so that the teacher would see them "participate".

I went to a "real" accredited school to earn my lambskin(s) in person, and we still had to do that online discussion shit in some of our classes.

I'm getting my principal certification right now. They have cracked down on the discussions. "I agree" wont count, and if you post all of your discussions at once, it's only half credit.

I generally see what the majority opinion is, then start posting the opposite viewpoint. Makes for some discussions, and the professors seem to like the devil's advocate.

At OP: why not just go to your undergrad university and see if they have an MBA program?

So it's like GD? Post often and troll frequently. Sounds legit!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:05:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In the U.K. most masters programs are 1 year. I would imagine accelerated programs are available that are faster.
View Quote

MBA programs are about 2 years here about 30 credit hours with 9 credit hours considered being full time.  

My wife just finished up her MBA at George Washington.  It was an accelerated program and it took 16 or so month.  She attended every other weekend with 4 2 week"residencies" though out the program.

It was pretty difficult, the amount of coursework was great and the material was challenging.  

The op should look at state schools that do executive MBA programs or accelerated programs not done on line.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and yet still better than any in-person student-led discussion I ever saw in 5 years of B&M school.

In my experience it was the 2 or 3 blowhard asskissers in class who would post all the discussion topics, and then everyone else would just post a wordy version of "yeah, I agree with that" so that the teacher would see them "participate".

I went to a "real" accredited school to earn my lambskin(s) in person, and we still had to do that online discussion shit in some of our classes.

Yeah but they don't fall for bait as easily as GD :p
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:32:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have serious life and work skills.  Let me be clear,  I'm looking to actually
do the work and take the time.  I just can't spend 20 hours a week sitting in a classroom.

Im looking for real ARFCOM knowledge here, not 5 beer buzz sarcasm.
View Quote

No you're not, otherwise you wouldn't be asking about getting credit for "life experience"
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#5]
My undergrad came from a real college 20+ years ago.  Economics and Finance Major and Sociology Minor.  
I guess I'm looking for a challenge while finding time for all other things in life.  I work 55+ hours a week.
My job is competitive and every title, plaque, 3 letters after my name actually make a difference to potential clients.

Quoted:

What "serious life and work skills" do you have?

What is your undergraduate degree in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
do the work and take the time.  I just can't spend 20 hours a week sitting in a classroom.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Darn, I almost forgot, St. Leo is only 35 miles from my house.  And I'm a shoo in, I'm Catholic!
Will look into.

Quoted:
Saint Leo is totally online.  No GMAT required. Not at all as difficult as I expected. Wish I'd have gone to UF.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#7]
$11,000.00 for an out of state MBA from a real college.  THANKS!

Quoted:
Ashford University has a 100% online degree program. Its certainly not "easy" nor a degree factory. You will have to participate in online guided discussions and still write research papers as well as smaller assignments. Its easy in the sense that you can see all of your upcoming assignments and classes well in advance so you can prepare. Don't expect to just login in and pass though, you will still have to exert time and effort.

http://www.ashford.edu/degrees/online/mba.htm
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My undergrad came from a real college 20+ years ago.  Economics and Finance Major and Sociology Minor.  
I guess I'm looking for a challenge while finding time for all other things in life.  I work 55+ hours a week.
My job is competitive and every title, plaque, 3 letters after my name actually make a difference to potential clients.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you do? You can PM me if you like.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Hit up the amazon for a color laser printer and some nice, embossed card stock.  Print up your own MBA.  It will have much more value that most on-line MBAs that you can get, because of your low buy in.  Hell, you could even sell a few and completely cover the cost of your education printer.

Guess how I screen resumes?

Guess how many paper MBAs and U of Phoenix MBAs are going to get walked five minutes after my organization is no longer a non-profit?  

The good thing is they usually provide some education on job and interview skills to help with lay offs.  Classes such as "How to say 'would your like fries with that' with enthusiasm."  Also "How to dig ditches with minimal lower back stress."  Another popular one is "Democratic campaign worker skills."
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't think "cheaply" and "easy" should be in the same talk as getting a MBA.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
I do.

Mainly because it provides almost zero value, yet is still required for many jobs.

It's check box on a resume.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Cheap to me does not mean monopoly money.  Under 20k to me is cheap for a well known university online/some class 2 year or accelerated program.
Easy means it fits into my schedule.  

Life experience can mean testing out of pre requisites if you qualify.  Some courses I have looked into require pre requisites
that didn't exist 20 years ago.  Thanks for all the help and thanks for the laughs!  I know someone here will also find this info of use.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Credit for life experience is nothing new.  Many schools will grant academic credit for knowledge and skills acquired in, for instance, the military.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  That's my point.  Not so much time actually learning as figuring out how to get to the required word count or making sure things are citedproperly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#16]

lol

Now look at their "real" MBA rankins
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Darn, I almost forgot, St. Leo is only 35 miles from my house.  And I'm a shoo in, I'm Catholic!
Will look into.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Will look into.

Quoted:
Saint Leo is totally online.  No GMAT required. Not at all as difficult as I expected. Wish I'd have gone to UF.

I'm a little further away but it hasn't mattered.  I haven't stepped foot on campus.  I may make the drive for graduation
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My son is finishing his MBA up at the University of Utah. It has taken him two years and about 45K in tuition. He is in the program where he works at his financial institution during the day them works on homework or attends class at the University. His undergraduate degree was in economics.

He says non accredited schools are a joke in the MBA program.

The only truly accredited online University  by the Department of Education is  Western Governors University here in Utah. It is a experimental program run by the state of Utah and the Department of Education.

http://www.wgu.edu/?utm_source=591

http://www.wgu.edu/about_WGU/accreditation

accrediation is usually done by regional organizations for undergraduate programs

business programs are of accredited by aacsb. http://www.aacsb.edu

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hit up the amazon for a color laser printer and some nice, embossed card stock.  Print up your own MBA.  It will have much more value that most on-line MBAs that you can get, because of your low buy in.  Hell, you could even sell a few and completely cover the cost of your education printer.

Guess how I screen resumes?

Guess how many paper MBAs and U of Phoenix MBAs are going to get walked five minutes after my organization is no longer a non-profit?  

The good thing is they usually provide some education on job and interview skills to help with lay offs.  Classes such as "How to say 'would your like fries with that' with enthusiasm."  Also "How to dig ditches with minimal lower back stress."  Another popular one is "Democratic campaign worker skills."
View Quote

I really wish people would understand that a degree from one of the online places can actually hurt them because it is often used as a screening device.

You could have degrees from great schools and end up getting your application shit canned because you also have a degree from a UoP type place. If the person who picked it up screens for that and it is the first thing he saw, you never even had a chance.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The only truly accredited online University  by the Department of Education is  Western Governors University here in Utah. It is a experimental program run by the state of Utah and the Department of Education.

http://www.wgu.edu/?utm_source=591

http://www.wgu.edu/about_WGU/accreditation
View Quote
This.

You cannot test out of anything, but in MBA's that not really an issue anyway as MBA class finals are not tests, they are papers.

The capstone class for WGU is live competitions against other Universities such as Embry Riddle and Univeristy of Chicago. You cannot not know the subject matter or you'll fail.

It IS time based on your skill level so if you are clever you can finish one quickly.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top