Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
My AR lays under the bed in a soft case.  When I go to bed, it goes between the nightstand and bed and I put a mag in it, unchambered.  G19 chambered is onto of the nightstand.  When I wake up, mag comes out of AR and it goes back under the bed.  Pistol gets moved to where kids can't reach until I go out the door and it goes with me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What safe is this?  Been trying to debate the pros cons of beside safes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your sidearm should be with you all the time, fight to your rifle.

With toddlers in the home I would probably want a free hand for opening doors, rounding up kids, etc. and go with a handgun for primary HD. My shotgun and rifle stay loaded in the safe and that is the direction my wife would be heading. The handgun is easier to store and very accessible right next to my pillow. Still my plan today even with all the kids grown and gone.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7TckgI3-pMU/VRFlHla2LuI/AAAAAAAAAas/9r1aS5sK_lE/s519/DontWakeTheBaby.jpg

What safe is this?  Been trying to debate the pros cons of beside safes.

It's a FAS1-SBD. www.fas1safe.com
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#3]

This is the answer. Your 1yo can't do much right now but you'll be shocked at how fast they develop and what they get into. Forget wooden boxes and leaving magazines next to the gun. Those are half measures. Lock it up properly...you'll have to eventually and this way there's no guesswork involved regarding your kid's abilities.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Great thread.  My son turned 1 in December and so I've been thinking about this topic.  Lots of good ideas so far.  Instead of buying some sort of safe I've been trying to think "outside the box" so I'm liking the ideas about the racks, cords, and boxes that have been posted so far.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:31:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

With toddlers in the home I would probably want a free hand for opening doors, rounding up kids, etc. and go with a handgun for primary HD. My shotgun and rifle stay loaded in the safe and that is the direction my wife would be heading. The handgun is easier to store and very accessible right next to my pillow. Still my plan today even with all the kids grown and gone.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7TckgI3-pMU/VRFlHla2LuI/AAAAAAAAAas/9r1aS5sK_lE/s519/DontWakeTheBaby.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can this be mounted to the side of a night stand?

If so who manufacturers this?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:42:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I won't judge anyone for how they choose to go about it but I think this is a good time to start weighing the risks.

You have the risk of needing a rifle for self defense and you have the risk of a toddler or anyone else getting into your weapon and causing harm.  Choose your storage method accordingly to make sure the risk of the latter is less than the former otherwise you are basically taking steps backwards.

A pistol in a quick access safe bolted to a drawer or a night stand might be a nice compromise.  I get that a rifle is better but we're talking about diminishing returns compared to upgrading from a pointy stick or harsh words in the context of home defense.  

If I was going to do a rifle, I'd probably do one of those safes that mounted between studs directly in the wall.  I haven't looked around but something with a numeric keypad would be quick enough for me to access within seconds.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine is in the closet empty, with 2 full mags on a shelf. I find it the ideal solution. My handgun is in a four finger keypad gunvault safe on the nightstand in condition 1; or on my person.

I dont anticipate very many scenarios that my pistol wouldnt be the better choice at home.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can be mounted just about any way you can imagine. You just drill the appropriate holes and buy the hardware you need locally.

You can find them here: http://www.fas1safe.com
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Your welcome.

Seriously, if your in the room at night just keep it the way you have it and lock the bedroom door, no toddler is going to get past that, use a key lock if your paranoid.  Plus that way the kid won't walk in at an inconvenient time for you and your wife.  You could even lock the door during the day when your not in the room if you do go the key lock route.

As soon as your kid is old enough to understand teach them gun safety, and let them look and play when they want, provided you are there to supervise.  If you demystify the gun, make it it just a normal "meh" object around the house the kid will have no interest or reason to try to sneak around and find some way to play with the forbidden toy, because it is not forbidden, so need to try to come up with eke erase storage solutions, a locked door will do just fine.  And by teaching gun safety, if they DO manage to get unauthorized access, or get access to someone else's, they will know the proper, safe, way of handling it.  This is the best method.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I appreciate all of the constructive replies on this important topic.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#12]
This relevant to my interests...
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

To keep it hot, I can't really think of a better way. Maybe above the door on the inside of a closet. Your sidearm should be with you all the time, fight to your rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gun rack above bedroom doorway

To keep it hot, I can't really think of a better way. Maybe above the door on the inside of a closet. Your sidearm should be with you all the time, fight to your rifle.

That's what I did. I used a set of rubber coated J-hooks screwed into the studs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Was thinking of something like this:

Shot Lock
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I was told that you keep the hammer back and the safety on because it is science and shit
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Now I really like that idea. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was told that you keep the hammer back and the safety on because it is science and shit
View Quote

Unfortunately, my daughter cannot comprehend science and shit yet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I think I might have to get one of those.  That seems like a great solution to what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I opted for a pistol in a quick access safe by the bed and moved the carbine into a small Stack-On cabinet in the bedroom.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Gun Vault is coming out with this soon

http://www.gunvault.com/arvault.html

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm in the same boat - my boy is 16 mo.

handgun/flashlight bolted inside the nightstand in a lock box.

suppressed rifle - chamber empty, mag out, on the highest shelf in the closet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Im in a the same position though im leaning toward a hook on the wall higher than my daughters ability to reach.
View Quote

That's an extremely temporary solution. I've seen two little girls (1 and 3) construct a tower out of their dolls various prams/cribs/etc. and climb it to retrieve keys that were hanging above a door.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#23]
loaded AR with safety on in nearby locked gun safe.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I have six kids, from 2yrs to 18 yrs.

Any guns that aren't on my person (or on my wife) are either in a bedside safe/box or unloaded.  When I'm at home I have an AR in the closet, loaded mag on hand that can be slapped into the magwell if needed.

Do you lock the AR up in a conventional safe when you're not home ?

If you live somewhere where you absolutely CANNOT live without having a loaded AR leaning up against the wall, you need to move.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I keep a pistol in a Gunvault that is bolted to the nightstand.

Long guns are in the safe. Eventually there will be a smaller safe in the master bedroom for a long gun, but haven't gotten that done yet.

Kids will climb, so just leaving it 'out of reach' is a mistake imo.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Saw this in one of the SHOT pic threads. I'm thinking about picking one up for the SBR.

https://www.usaraptor.com/
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Same here  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here  

Got the same setup.  fas1 safe.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top