Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Uh-oh, this is starting to sound like a sci-fi convention, arguing the merits and weaknesses of the original series vs the new one. Very nerd like
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I got a feeling that this one will not end every episode with the cast laughing and acting goofy like the old one.....

I like it..I like the darker side...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the guy who plays Boltar the same guy who played Dr Bashir on Deep space 9 ?

No
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the producer and director said old BG fans would probably not like it but I like the new one way better than the old series. The old series was too 70's TVish. This one is grittier and more in your face

+1

Yeah - I watched the old series, and I think this new one is WAYYYYYY better.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is the guy who plays Boltar the same guy who played Dr Bashir on Deep space 9 ?

it looks a lot like him, but it isn't
but I keep refering to him as Gaius Bashir
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I was able to have a friend record the Sci-Fi version and liked it MUCH better.  I think NBC should have made it a two night deal, not condence it down to 3 hours.  I recall the stories on the new BSG, and this new one is a remake of the original story line, brought to "modern" standards.

I hope they keep some aspects of the original series.  Maybe this time around, they might keep the other Battlestar around, the Pegasus.

Does anyone think they'll syndicate it out to NBC???? Or another station?  I don't have cable....

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was able to have a friend record the Sci-Fi version and liked it MUCH better.  I think NBC should have made it a two night deal, not condence it down to 3 hours.  I recall the stories on the new BSG, and this new one is a remake of the original story line, brought to "modern" standards.

I hope they keep some aspects of the original series.  Maybe this time around, they might keep the other Battlestar around, the Pegasus.

Does anyone think they'll syndicate it out to NBC???? Or another station?  I don't have cable....

What happened to the Pegasus?  I assume the Cylons destroyed it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I watched all 9 Epiosodes also, and I have to agree its kick ass!!

I do miss the original Starbuck, but the modifies story makes Starbuck out to be a great character.

I was hooked up by a ARFCOM member with the episodes(thanks you know who you are)

The only thing that pisses me off is I have to wait till next year to see the other episodes

FREE
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#10]
It should come back in a later episode.

FREE

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#11]

The old series was too 70's TVish

Ya don't say. Who  would've guessed. Could that be because it was made in the 70's. Well Duh
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just another example of the Sci-fi channel taking up an established concept (ie Battlestar Galactica, Dune) and fucking it up beyond all recogniton. That just ticks me off.

The series gets better then the pilot in my opinion.

They took two of the main male characters and made them freaking female! It doesn't matter how good it is. They shouldn't call it Battlestar Galactica if they're going to change major characters that way!

What do you have against females?  Wait until you've seen the first 10 episodes like I have until you pass judgment.  They've taken what was good about the old series and left out the cheesy stuff.  It's one of the best sci-fi series I've seen in years.

Besides, if some changes were not made, there would be no point in a new series.

I have seen several references to people having seen the first 9-10 episodes.  Where are you people seeing these?  They haven't aired yet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just another example of the Sci-fi channel taking up an established concept (ie Battlestar Galactica, Dune) and fucking it up beyond all recogniton. That just ticks me off.

You should be ticked off at yourself for silly posts like this.

I was fanatical about the original series back when it was new, but this is so damn much better.  There is no comparison.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have seen several references to people having seen the first 9-10 episodes.  Where are you people seeing these?  They haven't aired yet.

they have in England (so has a bunch of SG1 and Atlantis episodes that won't start here for another week or two)
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They've aired over in the UK.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they have in England (so has a bunch of SG1 and Atlantis episodes that won't start here for another week or two)

That ain't fair dammit!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That ain't fair dammit!

Check out the links in this Thread. They should make your life more fair.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the 70's BSG episode I recall (maybe it was 2 or 3, don't know), the Pegasus showed up and "rescued" Apollo and Starbuck who went out on Patrol- WAY out on partrol or they were trying to fake where the fleet was at.  I recall that Baltar was chasing them- made a comment about getting the two Vipers or wher ethey were going.  The 'tin head' w/ Baltar said something, "Possibly going to that battlestar".  And Baltar replied, "What battlestar?"   Tin heads reply, "The one that is going to intercept us" and pointed out to the left or right window and Baltar yelled his customary insult and told him to fly away.  The episode I recall was, Commander Caine (Kain?) transfered his Vipers to the Galactica and went "toe to toe" with two base stars while the Glactica and fleet escaped.  I don't recall if the series ever 'solved' the mystery on what happened to the Pegasus......going against two Base Stars with no fighter cover.  Adama and Caine had two different ideas on how to use the two last battlestars.  Adama wanted to keep Pegasus w/ the the fleet while Caine wanted to go on an offensive.

I'm guessing, since the Galactica is the "oldest" and one of the first 12 battlestars created, the Pegasus (if they brought it back in this new series) would have to be a "newer" or more hy-tech or maybe just a a little new then the Galactica.

In the original series, the left side landing bay was the only one being shown and being used, even though the right side was identical.

Does any one recall if the original show ever told the fate of the Pegusus?

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

pretty sure it was left open, and then the show got canceled
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the way that they also showed combat in space..using the thrusters to manuver....

The new Galactica is better looking than the older one...hell all the crafts look pretty damn good...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The old series was too 70's TVish

Ya don't say. Who  would've guessed. Could that be because it was made in the 70's. Well Duh

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Remember the episode with Count Iblis, aka Satan?  I loved that episode, found out "Iblis" is the Arabic word for Satan.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Remember the episode with Count Iblis, aka Satan?  I loved that episode, found out "Iblis" is the Arabic word for Satan.

Took me til star wars to find that out.
Garm Bel Iblis a Corellian Senator and one of the founders of the rebellion.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Okay, some more history here VS new stuff....

The new BSG says the Cylons were created by man.  But I thought in the 70 TV show, they said the Cylons were created by a long dead race and that the Cylons encountered the humans and build new Cylons to mimic humans.

I think the idea of the "new" Cylon to look 'human' came from the BSG1980 shows....where toward the end, they developed Cylons that looked human.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:14:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Okay, some more history here VS new stuff....

The new BSG says the Cylons were created by man.  But I thought in the 70 TV show, they said the Cylons were created by a long dead race and that the Cylons encountered the humans and build new Cylons to mimic humans.

I think the idea of the "new" Cylon to look 'human' came from the BSG1980 shows....where toward the end, they developed Cylons that looked human.

That was on the Sci-Fi channel yesterday...What Apollo told Boxy was that the Cylons was a race of reptiles, that found the hunman form to be the most practical for getting around and doing work. So they built the robots to preform tasks..the race died off and the name Cylons stuck to the robots....
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:51:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Besides, if some changes were not made, there would be no point in a new series.

Sure there would. Just don't try to call it the original. The only reason they changed male characters to female is to appeal to a demographic and I guessed it worked.

I don't know if I can agree with this.  The original BG had several prominent female characters who were not used at all in the new BG.  

My favorite was Anne Lockhart (Sheba, one of the Colonial warriors).  You also had Maren Jansen (Athena, Adama's daughter) and Laurette Spang (I forget her character's name).  

(BTW - Maren Jansen ---> )

Any of the above characters should have sufficed, but they totally ignored them.   IMHO, a big mistake.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Wasn't it Patrick McNee that played Iblis?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wasn't it Patrick McNee that played Iblis?

Yes and he narrarated the opening of the show..
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[Nerd Mode Activated - big BG fan as a kid]

Not quite.  In a later episode (the one with the Count Ibis / Satan) they found the remins of a Battlestar crashed on a planet.  I remember Apollo going inside one of the pieces, then calling for one of the femal warriors (damn can't remember her name - she was the daughter of the captain of the Pegasus)  to come ove to see.  While I don't remember them saying it was the Pegasus they strongly implied it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[Nerd Mode Activated - big BG fan as a kid]

Not quite.  In a later episode (the one with the Count Ibis / Satan) they found the remins of a Battlestar crashed on a planet.  I remember Apollo going inside one of the pieces, then calling for one of the femal warriors (damn can't remember her name - she was the daughter of the captain of the Pegasus)  to come ove to see.  While I don't remember them saying it was the Pegasus they strongly implied it.

I remember that episode (even saw it on re-runs in college), but I never thought that the "crash" was the Pegasus.....  I thought they said, "Something huge must have crashed here.... the size of a battlestar...."  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Not quite.  In a later episode (the one with the Count Ibis / Satan) they found the remins of a Battlestar crashed on a planet. .

Alien ship, not a Battlestar
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#33]
maybe I'll dig out the dvd with that episode
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite.  In a later episode (the one with the Count Ibis / Satan) they found the remins of a Battlestar crashed on a planet. .

I thought it was the Counts ship........
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well, probably, but he was an alien
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well, probably, but he was an alien

I believe if my foggy memory servers, someone said that the crash was the size of a battlestar.  Some have suggested it was the Battlestar Pegasus.  Not 100% sure.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I just found out that the new series will be coming on on Friday nights at 9pm....

Those bastards

Every time there is a show I actually want to watch they do it at this time and it ends up getting canceled.

Happened to "Harsh Realm" "FireFly" and "Enterprise"

Who really NEVER has anything to do on a Friday night?  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I just found out that the new series will be coming on on Friday nights at 9pm....

Those bastards

Every time there is a show I actually want to watch they do it at this time and it ends up getting canceled.

As a trekker, we can do without Enterprise.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I liked it more than Deep Space Nine or Voyager and more than most epesodes of the next generation.
Super hot Vulcan chicks make up for a lot.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Friday nights is usually the home of sc-fi TV, demographics?
Enterprise is pretty weak but I haven't seen any of the new episodes this season. I liked Voyager, never a fan of DS9. I couldn't stand the Ferengi(sp)
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Sci fi often means geek which means either free on friday or tivo.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

That would be me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be me.

+1
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those bastards

As a trekker, we can do without Enterprise.

I think everyone can do without Enterprise. I'd read they only ran this season to get enough episodes out so that they could syndicate it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Then why did Apollo think it so important Cassie (now I remember her name) see the inside.

She can see a big ship crashed, why would SHE need to see the inside unless it was some evidence that proved it was the Pegasus?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:13:02 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be me.

+1..I'm married and have 2 kids...after a week of school, homework, cleaning, ect..I need Friday to rest for MAYBE going out on Saturday...

Enterprise is ok...I like the Andorian
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:30:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Gentlemen I dont believe you ahve to worry overly about it getting cancelled too soon, at least not during the _middle_ of the run, it's being joint funded by Sky One and the Sci-Fi channel in the UK, so it's British Money backing it, so it's success or not in the US hopefully wont have an overriding effect on it's survival.

And It's very good mostly, much darker than the original.

Hell, even Richard Hatch gets to guest star in one episode, not mpayback after 20 years campaigning to get his old Job as Apollo back, but at least he got a nod.

I'm waiting for the Dirk Benedict cameo, man he looks rough now, catch the "behind the scenes" preview show if you can, it's creepy watching him hit on the new Starbuck.

/PHil
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:11:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I'm waiting for the Dirk Benedict cameo, man he looks rough now, catch the "behind the scenes" preview show if you can, it's creepy watching him hit on the new Starbuck.

/PHil

Haha, that's great!  I guess he's going to be playing Faceman for that episode.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:22:55 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

/PHil

Haha, that's great!  I guess he's going to be playing Faceman for that episode.  

All he needs is the vet  and the jazz man, it's all about the jazz.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Hell, even Richard Hatch gets to guest star in one episode, not mpayback after 20 years campaigning to get his old Job as Apollo back, but at least he got a nod.

/PHil

I'm hoping they'll offer a guest spot to all the original cast if this comes back for more seasons
Hatch has been in 2 so far
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top