BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've been thinking about upgrading to a new hammock, what makes the WB hammocks better than the rest of the US made offerings?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Warbonnet Blackbird hammocks for the win.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a new hammock, what makes the WB hammocks better than the rest of the US made offerings?

I dont think that Warbonnet is necessarily better than other US manufacturers. When it comes to hammocks we are fortunate that we have a lot of cottage manufacturers, with good reputations and quality customer service who are making their gear here.  I think any of the cottage manufactures would serve well whether its Warbonnet, Jacks-r-Better, Wilderness Logics, and so on.

I personally went with WB cause I wanted a bridge hammock, and he offered discounted "blemished" hammcoks.

And here is my set up, a WB Ridgerunner and Wilderness Logics Big Daddy tarp --

And probably the best night sleep
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
anyone else?
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Hammock, best sleep I ever had camping. I will never go back.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Warbonnet Blackbird hammocks for the win.

The footbox. And the shelf.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an FS-1 from from LL bean and it's awesome, lightweight, easy and fast to pitch high sides so you can sit up in it. plus you get the kickass llbean warranty

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72836?feat=1096-GN2&page=microlight-fs-1-person-tent&attrValue_0=Pewter&productId=1217291
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Edit - nevermind, no trees
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I use a Eureka! Solitaire for backpacking. It's very small, but for me that exactly what I want and it's kept me dry through some serious downpours. You can buy them for under $100. The poles that come with it kinda suck, and I would recommend buying some aluminum ones.

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/ERK/ERK0062/SF2133.jpg
View Quote

I've done a good bit of backpacking with one of these. I got mine for $70. It is light weight. IIRC just over 2lbs.

On a cold morning, dressing in it is comical.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for hammock, here is my Warbonnet hammock last fall

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#9]
How do the hammocks do in cold, windy weather? My favorite backpacking weather is somewhere between damn cold and witches tits.

I used a hammock a few times when I was younger, but it was always during shoulder month weather.

I could see how being up in the air could result in more surface area for thermal loss, but thats pure conjecture.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How do the hammocks do in cold, windy weather? My favorite backpacking weather is somewhere between damn cold and witches tits.

I used a hammock a few times when I was younger, but it was always during shoulder month weather.

I could see how being up in the air could result in more surface area for thermal loss, but thats pure conjecture.  
View Quote

Since you have air underneath, you definitely lose heat. Wind also goes right through it. You can get away with using a regular sleeping bag in moderate weather, but it doesnt do so well in the cold. Your body compresses the fill in the bag and it's (almost) like having no insulation at all below you. You can get around this by buying an underquilt that hangs below the hammock. The problem is that underquilts are typically pretty expensive and add weight.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#11]
eureka can always be counted to have quality products at reasonable price points.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Winter hammocking is very comfortable, however can be more expensive if you move to a down underquilt and down topquilt. If you camp often and camp comfortable, its worth it. If its windy I put up a Warbonnet Super Fly tarp which is fully enclosed like an A-Frame

For winter I've got

$170 on my hammock (Warbonnet BlackBird)
$225 on my 0* down underquilt (Warbonnet Yeti)
$310 on my 0* down topquilt (Warbonnet Black Mamba)
$130 on my tarp (Warbonnet Superfly tarp)
$80 on my Small Therm-a-Rest ProLite Sleeping Pad for my feet/legs

I do like Warbonnet, but also have another 20* top quilt by Hammock Gear which is excellent as well that I use 3 season.

Keep in mind I built up to all of these upgrades, winter is expensive...but I also use these just about every weekend so its worth it for me. With 3 season hammocking, you can get away with a lot less.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use a Eureka! Solitaire for backpacking. It's very small, but for me that exactly what I want and it's kept me dry through some serious downpours. You can buy them for under $100. The poles that come with it kinda suck, and I would recommend buying some aluminum ones.

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/ERK/ERK0062/SF2133.jpg
View Quote

I would highly recommend something like this. You dont want to get caught out in the rain with just a tarp. Exposure, even if the warm summertime, can kill.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep Hammock FTMFW

Once you go Hammock you never go back.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html
View Quote

I have this. Cant beat it, especially in the swamp.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would highly recommend something like this. You dont want to get caught out in the rain with just a tarp. Exposure, even if the warm summertime, can kill.
View Quote

those are nice but also stinks to be stuck by yourself in a downpour... Tarps like the Superfly you can slam to the ground too for complete coverage... no poles required just two trees

or poles

or opened up like a porch to have a few people to sit under

pretty versatile for a ~1lb tarp

throw in a light bivy and a sleeping bag and you're g2g even on the ground
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:51:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Hammocks are kinda out of the question cus here in some parts of Oklahoma trees can be hard to come by.

I already have a USGI Sleep sytem with the gore text bivy so that helps with the water proof factor. Just looking for something else to add to it.
View Quote

In that case check Sierra Trading Post or check the closeouts/older models at Campmor.  I bought a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight two man tent on closeout for cheap several years ago and that's what I use if I need a small, lightweight tent.  It can be set up with only the footprint and rainfly to save weight in warmer weather.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:09:32 AM EDT
[#17]
$100 gets you a nice mid-level solo tent or a real decent  lightweight and spacious tarp.

The problem I find with solo tents in this price range is that they are short. When your bag touches the side or end, condensation builds on the bag in certain conditions. This could be a problem. Make sure you fit and give yourself some room on top and bottom for your clothing and bag. REI will set it up right in the store for you.

Hammocks are good, but not for everyone. They sleep terribly cold and every waft of wind is felt, even in 60* as you crush down whatever you are laying on, leaving you with no trapped air for insulation. Underquilts are pricey but do a  great job dealing with this. I'm successful below 0* in my hammocks. You can always sleep on a pad in the hammock, which I did for the first ten years before going to a underquilt. (I've been doing this a long while before hammocks got popular)

A good hammock set-up will run you some big bucks if you get all the extras. I throw a regular bag over me instead of a dedicated top quilt, because my bags are just as light and I can get dual use out of them, but the underquilts are specific and there's no better way to get around that cost.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top