Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I had my personal YHM rear flip sight on my issue weapon in Iraq for 10 months. It did just fine. And I beat the hell outta that weapon.

Good stuff for less money. I've never been dissapointed in anything from YHM.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
MagPul MBUS

@ 1/3 the price of a troy, 1/2 the price of YHM or MI, i'd say MagPul MBUS for the win
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for your help guys (and gals)

Now it is decision time

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have troy and mid west ind. both are great and i would recommend either
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Troy FTW
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I dont know the engineering behind why. I've just seen more Troy sights lose the attachment screw in classes than any other brand.

That's interesting, thanks. I'll keep a closer eye on my Troys to see if they work loose; maybe even do a small witness mark on the sight to visually track screw rotation.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Depends on what kind of optic you have planned for the future.

Eotech or Aimpoint, I would go with the Larue fixed sight. Rock solid, no frills and sexy! LMT was little big for my tastes.

Acog or some kind of scope, I would get a low profile folding sight of some sort. Arms #40 low profile or a Troy would be the way to go.

ETA: In my experience, fixed sights do not get in the way for an Aimpoint.

So if the plan is later in life to go with the Eotech the LaRue is GTG.

is there anything special that has to happen with my front sight post due to the lack of elevation adjustment on the LaRue?

Unless you plan on shooting past 300yds regularly with your open sights, your 50/200yd zero should do you well enough. At 300yds just aim about 10in. high and you should be on the money.

The Larue is definitely not for long range shooting with open sights. The high power shooters make it look easy. But for us regular folks, anything past 400yds gets a little hard to see.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Depends on what kind of optic you have planned for the future.

Eotech or Aimpoint, I would go with the Larue fixed sight. Rock solid, no frills and sexy! LMT was little big for my tastes.

Acog or some kind of scope, I would get a low profile folding sight of some sort. Arms #40 low profile or a Troy would be the way to go.

ETA: In my experience, fixed sights do not get in the way for an Aimpoint.

So if the plan is later in life to go with the Eotech the LaRue is GTG.

is there anything special that has to happen with my front sight post due to the lack of elevation adjustment on the LaRue?

Unless you plan on shooting past 300yds regularly with your open sights, your 50/200yd zero should do you well enough. At 300yds just aim about 10in. high and you should be on the money.

The Larue is definitely not for long range shooting with open sights. The high power shooters make it look easy. But for us regular folks, anything past 400yds gets a little hard to see.

magpul
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Can has GG&G?

I always liked the MAD buis
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know the engineering behind why. I've just seen more Troy sights lose the attachment screw in classes than any other brand.

That's interesting, thanks. I'll keep a closer eye on my Troys to see if they work loose; maybe even do a small witness mark on the sight to visually track screw rotation.

Lock tight and paint marker should be SOP for any accessories.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lock tight and paint marker should be SOP for any accessories.

I've done the Loc-Tite, just never got around to paint marker. Oops.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the ARMS, but that's the only one I have. My brother LOVES the Troy and also likes the MI.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#13]
LaRue fixed

...unless you HAVE TO HAVE a folding BUIS for scope clearance, then get a Troy.

eta:  LaRue folding IS a Troy so it's a wash there
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

MagPul MBUS

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't make a decision on these backups, which will be primary until I get the scratch for a good optic.

Please Help, I need to get the order in and the sight within a week!!

Just grab a Matech off the EE for $55-60.  Works great on my son's AR.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#16]
A Midwest Industries (MI) BUIS will be just fine. They're one of the less spendy metal BUIS options out there that will still hold their zero.

AIM carries the MI low profile and the standard flip up BUIS with 1 cent shipping.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Midwest_Industries_Low_Profile_Flip_Up_Dual_Aperture_Rear_Sight.html

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Midwest_Ind._Flip_Up_Dual_Aperture_Rear_Sight.html

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I use Matech.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a Midwest Ind "Same Plane, Low Profile" flip-up. It wasn't very spendy, but it hasn't moved since I put it on.
I was worried the windage knob would get moved too easily, it hasn't been a problem yet.
The only gripe I have is that to acheive the low height, they had to shave off part of the diopter, so it will only fold down with the large diopter in place.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/splpclrpu.gif

+1, MI is good gear, and a great value.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#19]
HK-416 diopter sights by Centurion
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#20]
If Larue is an option, Larue is the answer.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top