Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Landing in appx. 5 minutes....
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#2]
wouldn't it also burn off a lot more fuel?

Quoted:

Why turn around? Why not just land at the destination?

Sorry, I no Know nothing of airplanes but cant they save everyone some time in case it doesnt crash?

Apparently I no nothing of the difference of Know and no....

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I picked a bad day to stop sniffing acid.

ok.  You have my attention.

I just want to say good luck, we are all counting on you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Airplane was a good movie.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#5]
track

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Lol, from now on, whenever there some developing tragedy, the powers that be need to check with GD for the proper response.

Jeez people, they have people with years of experience handling this.

I trust them more than someone on the internet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Fuckin' computer.....

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#8]
YAWN.................
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#9]
landed.. again
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Landed safe and sound.  Arfcom rules.  I had 2 live feeds and the flight tracker up thanks to this thread.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Try this

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1457

Supposedly at 1600ft at 157kts
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone owes me a keyboard!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#13]
No, the humanity.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
wouldn't it also burn off a lot more fuel?
Quoted:
Why turn around? Why not just land at the destination?

Sorry, I no Know nothing of airplanes but cant they save everyone some time in case it doesnt crash?

Apparently I no nothing of the difference of Know and no....

So much more fuel that they wouldn't make it to their destination.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember Macho Grande'

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Stupid ass shit!  Circling to burn off fuel instead of going to destination to preform the same landing there.  Everyone will be fine, its a blown tire not an engine falling off.

What brought down the Concorde again?

Hint:  It wasn't an engine falling off.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stupid ass shit!  Circling to burn off fuel instead of going to destination to preform the same landing there.  Everyone will be fine, its a blown tire not an engine falling off.

French ego finally had a lighter applied to it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#20]
i was on a flight that lost an engine on take off,we had to fly around and dump fuel then make a emergency landing with all of the fire crews and trucks and stuff,was a little disconcerting
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What brought down the Concorde again?  Hint:  It wasn't an engine falling off.
French ego finally had a lighter applied to it?

That was uncalled for.  A beautiful aircraft along with it's aerodynamics,  knows no geographic borders.  You Zaphod, you are a aircraftcist.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I was on an aircraft that lost luggage.

Oh, the humanpanties.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One blown tire isn't a crash landing.

^This!

All landings are controlled crashes! A blown tire is nothing new. Unless your the POS Concord and the tire tears a hole in the wing! Just sayin!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

^This!

All landings are controlled crashes! A blown tire is nothing new. Unless your the POS Concord and the tire tears a hole in the wing! Just sayin!

All airplanes, especially jets with high rotation speeds, are in danger of a blown tire.  One of our jets locked up its brakes on landing and sent a huge chunk of the tire through the flap assembly like it wasn't even there.

PS: If every landing feels like a crash you're a shitty pilot (Naval aviators excluded).
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you may think it is stupid but that just shows you know nothing about aircraft tires and "Altitude."

If the tire that was damaged, blew, damaged one of the adjacent tires and the aircraft continued to climb to altitude you could have a VERY LARGE KA-BOOM in the wheel well.
Ask me how I know. Was ground crew on an air force RC-135. The aircraft took off and there was a tire defect/damaged tire. We think it rolled over FOD on take off. When the aircraft "ALMOST" reached operation altitude the tire blew. You would not believe the damage to that air-frame. The crew was lucky to get back.

EBR66
the reason you dont continue to destination is because you do not retract the gear!  And because the tire debris can cause damage to flight control surfaces

Plus, they also mentioned that Atlanta :

A.  Has a longer runway.
B.  Better emergency preparations.

Plus the FAA is gonna be all over your ass if you don't land at the nearest suitable airport.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know losing an engine (the mounts are break-away in case of imbalance) isn't that much of an issue either.  Losing an engine and all three hydraulic systems is an issue.

Like the Ford Exploder controversy, a flat tire isn't a big deal.  

looks like the front didn't fall off either.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok. You have my attention.

Remember Macho Grande'

For those of members of Arfcom who are either to young or too old to remember they are referencing the move the 1980's movie "Airplane"

It should be required viewing
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Try this

Now he's down to 1200.

Now he's back up to 1450.

What an asshole.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you may think it is stupid but that just shows you know nothing about aircraft tires and "Altitude."

If the tire that was damaged, blew, damaged one of the adjacent tires and the aircraft continued to climb to altitude you could have a VERY LARGE KA-BOOM in the wheel well.
Ask me how I know. Was ground crew on an air force RC-135. The aircraft took off and there was a tire defect/damaged tire. We think it rolled over FOD on take off. When the aircraft "ALMOST" reached operation altitude the tire blew. You would not believe the damage to that air-frame. The crew was lucky to get back.

EBR66
the reason you dont continue to destination is because you do not retract the gear!  And because the tire debris can cause damage to flight control surfaces

Plus, they also mentioned that Atlanta :

A.  Has a longer runway.
B.  Better emergency preparations.

C. Delta's maintenance headquarters
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

can't raise the gear with a blown tire. + can't get to destination with the gear hanging, not enough gas = land back in ATL
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

^This!

far from a pos. Concorde's had higher take off speed than other commercial aircraft meaning much more kinetic energy. 1 crash is a damn good

record to have.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

OP needs to change title.Doubt if pilot is coming back in to "crash land".Just be a little bit less smooth than normal.

Yeah, they could do that anywhere.

(Glad that they landed safely).

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

EBR66
the reason you dont continue to destination is because you do not retract the gear!  And because the tire debris can cause damage to flight control surfaces and a bunch of other shit

You are correct but that is not the point I was driving.

My answer to Dragracer was that if the plane was to continue to their destination they would have retracted their landing gear. That would/could be disastrous if one of the other tires was damaged. As the plane gained altitude the pressure in the tire would increase as the pressure outside decreases. This could cause the tire to explode causing major damage to the air-frame.

This is what happened to the RC-135 I spoke about.   The damage to that aircraft was very sever and it was only through the skill of the pilot that it made it back for a landing. Which thank God was a good one as all crew walked away.

EBR666

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Try this

Now he's down to 1200.
Now he's back up to 1450.
What an asshole.

edit: that's the guy who wrecks the buffet in Beverly Hills Cop

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#35]

BP cam or empty radio studio?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Our Delta flight got turned around last week because the landing gear (front wheel––strap)would not retract.

We all got sent to a different terminal and boarded another aircraft with the same crew.

Free alcohol for the adults.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FOD.  Not just a tire blowing out.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EBR66

the reason you dont continue to destination is because you do not retract the gear!  And because the tire debris can cause damage to flight control surfaces and a bunch of other shit

My answer to Dragracer was that if the plane was to continue to their destination they would have retracted their landing gear. That would/could be disastrous if one of the other tires was damaged. As the plane gained altitude the pressure in the tire would increase as the pressure outside decreases. This could cause the tire to explode causing major damage to the air-frame.

This is what happened to the RC-135 I spoke about.   The damage to that aircraft was very sever and it was only through the skill of the pilot that it made it back for a landing. Which thank God was a good one as all crew walked away.

EBR666

The point I was driving is that if you have a blown tire, you DO NOT retract the landing gear!  What do I know though, I only have a type rating in a 737-300

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

EBR66

EBR666

The point I was driving is that if you have a blown tire, you DO NOT retract the landing gear!  What do I know though, I only have a type rating in a 737-300

I know that and you know that. But the point we were both trying to get at was that Dragracers remark was off mark as the stupid shit.
The crew did the correct thing for both your reason which if they did not follow could have led to my reason.

And you don't have to have a 737-300 rating to figure that out. Just some common scientific reasoning.

EBR666

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top