Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/28/2010 4:36:34 PM EDT
I took six guns and two brothers and one sister. Went through about 800 rounds of wolf 5.56, 300 rounds of Winchester .45, two or three hundred of .38 spl, some .22 long and .22 mags.

Pretty good day, did some drills with their computer programs.

About halfway through I noticed a barrel lying in the lane....not attached to a gun. The guy next to me was firing factory winchester. Hmmmmm
No injuries.

Good day at the range. Everything of mine ran flawlessly too until the end. My brother somehow managed to double feed it, and one of the round is now stuck above the BCG. Unsure how to proceed.....
Edit: I fixed it, thanks.

UPDATED PICS FROM OWNER (there are more but photobucket is being weird)

Link Posted: 3/28/2010 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Push the charging handle forward as far as you can and then use a piece of brass to shove the bolt back. Should fall right out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Any idea as to what caused the .44 to KB?
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If I had to guess it would be that there was a hairline fracture or something caused previously by who knows what. The shots sounded normal and then one was really loud.

It was not a squib. It also was not a blockage issue.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 329PD; I would like to know what happened to that revolver.

I know that the blast shield at the barrel/cylinder gap can fall out; if he kept shooting with it missing I can see it eating through the topstrap and causing this.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Classic Bolt override on the AR....a bolt override is when a cartridge has wedged itself between the bolt and charging handle. The best way to correct this problem is by

* Ensuring the charging handle is pushed forward and locked in place.
   * Securing the rifle and pulling the bolt to the rear until the bolt seats completely into the buffer well.
   * Turning the rifle upright and allowing the overridden cartridge to fall out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
That would be one of them-there cat's-ass-tropical failures.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag to see how long it takes for someone to blame reloads even though it was stated otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Must be one of dem revolvers made by Glock...
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have a 329PD; I would like to know what happened to that revolver.

I know that the blast shield at the barrel/cylinder gap can fall out; if he kept shooting with it missing I can see it eating through the topstrap and causing this.

interesting, I'd like to hear more about revolver KB's....

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I had to guess it would be that there was a hairline fracture or something caused previously by who knows what. The shots sounded normal and then one was really loud.  

Given that it was an airweight, I have to wonder if he was able to tell the difference between a KB and a normal discharge

44 mag out of an airweight probably feels like a KB every shot
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Given that it was an airweight, I have to wonder if he was able to tell the difference between a KB and a normal discharge

44 mag out of an airweight probably feels like a KB every shot

I was kinda thinking the same thing.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#13]
A newer S&W sending its barrel downrange. Like that's never happened before.

Typical S&W quality nowadays.

If you want a good DA revolver, buy vintage or buy Ruger.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I've never liked the idea of a alloy frame for magnum calibers,I have a scandium .357 J frame that only see's 38's.I wonder how many round's he had through it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#15]
See?  This is the kind of thing that happens when anyone in your immediate vacinity is shooting Wolf Ammo!  It doesn't have to be you. If anyone around you is shooting it, this could happen to you.  Avoid areas where Wolf Ammo is in use!

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Impressive
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Cylinder is intact.

Looks like the little shield fell out and the top strap got eaten through. Not ammo related, it seems. I recently sold one of these. I really liked it, too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I took six guns and two brothers and one sister. Went through about 800 rounds of wolf 5.56, 300 rounds of Winchester .45, two or three hundred of .38 spl, some .22 long and .22 mags.

Pretty good day, did some drills with their computer programs.

About halfway through I noticed a barrel lying in the lane....not attached to a gun. The guy next to me was firing factory winchester. Hmmmmm

No injuries.

Good day at the range. Everything of mine ran flawlessly too until the end. My brother somehow managed to double feed it, and one of the round is now stuck above the BCG. Unsure how to proceed.....

Edit: I fixed it, thanks.

Someone's going to say it.  It's not going to be me, but someone's going to.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#19]
The front fail off.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Why does it appear that there are bullet strikes on the range walls, the overhead baffles, and one of the target carriers??
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why does it appear that there are bullet strikes on the range walls, the overhead baffles, and one of the target carriers??

I'm no expert but I bet it's because there are bullet strikes on the range walls, overhead baffles, and one of the target carriers.  

I haven't been to a lot of indoor ranges but every one I've been to had idiots marks like that all over it.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm no expert but I bet it's because there are bullet strikes on the range walls, overhead baffles, and one of the target carriers.  

I haven't been to a lot of indoor ranges but every one I've been to had idiots marks like that all over it.  

This range is a members only range, and I feel MUCH more comfortable at this range than ANY other indoor range I have EVER been to. I've never seen any half-wits or hooligans or blatantly unsafe behavior at this range, which is extremely unusual at a public range. I don't go to public indoor ranges any more.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

For the same reason that outdoor ranges appear to have bulletholes in the roofs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I want to know what kind of crazy person wants to shoot .44 out of an alloy revolver.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Sir, it appears there is an issue with your revolver.

Quoted:
I want to know what kind of crazy person wants to shoot .44 out of an alloy revolver.

I do
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Those things have always bothered me. When I was a gun store guy this older man wanted to buy one for his wife to CCW
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#28]
The outdoor range I worked at had holes in the roof, holes in the benches, even holes through a chair  (A shooter was at a bench, seated, shooting a snubby .38.  The guy to his left was shooting a .45 and one of the .45 empties went down the back of this guys' shirt.  The guy immediately reached back between his shoulderblades while still holding the .38.   He squeezed a round off and it missed giving him an ultimate back-scratching by about an inch.  Bullet went through the back of the folding metal chair he was sitting on and richocheted off the concrete deck, going up through a wooden range table and out through the sheet-metal roof.

The shooter said it was the ranges' fault, we had him too close to a guy shooting a semi-automatic, he tried to sue us, saying semi-auto's shouldn't be allowed cause hot brass could hurt someone.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A newer S&W sending its barrel downrange. Like that's never happened before.

Typical S&W quality nowadays.

If you want a good DA revolver, buy vintage or buy Ruger.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The outdoor range I worked at had holes in the roof, holes in the benches, even holes through a chair  (A shooter was at a bench, seated, shooting a snubby .38.  The guy to his left was shooting a .45 and one of the .45 empties went down the back of this guys' shirt.  The guy immediately reached back between his shoulderblades while still holding the .38.   He squeezed a round off and it missed giving him an ultimate back-scratching by about an inch.  Bullet went through the back of the folding metal chair he was sitting on and richocheted off the concrete deck, going up through a wooden range table and out through the sheet-metal roof.

The shooter said it was the ranges' fault, we had him too close to a guy shooting a semi-automatic, he tried to sue us, saying semi-auto's shouldn't be allowed cause hot brass could hurt someone.

So could fucking idiots, sir. Thank you for your patronage, and don't ever come back. Really. EVER.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#31]
It was probably his reloads.....sorry I had to, it is GD.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Never miss an opportunity to post this.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-QNAwUdHUQ

So what's the minimum crew?

Oh..... one I suppose.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I dig your CZ-97.  Mine is far and away, my favorite handgun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#35]

well that sucks

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"idiot marks" - priceless!!  hahahah, nice one.  I will use that term too if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn, that sucks.  Nice gun too
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Win!
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#39]
aluminum.  there is a problem with all aluminum in that it has a finite endurance limit.  what this means is no matter how slight the repetitive stress, all aluminum will fail.  take for example valve springs on a car, these cycle once every two engine revolutions and considering the engine must last at least 100k miles at about 2500 revolutions per mile, that means  125 million cycles.  valve spring failure is very rare because they are designed for a stress well below the infinite limit which most steels have.  but aluminum has no infinite stress limit.

this part of the pistol is not only highly stressed, it is also subject to notching from the cylinder gap.  so most have a hard steel alloy shield.  if that fails, the aluminum will become eroded and this induces a stress concentration area.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fucking pussy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I have, well, the Revolver in my Avatar (S&W 327R8, Scandium Frame, 5 inch, 8 shot .357 Mag.) I shoot full house (carefully hand charged) loads from it regularly and this big boy shows virtually no wear.

Still, I stay away from the Magnum Airweights even though I am a certified S&W freak.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The front fail off.

Wasn't this one built so the front wouldn't fall off?
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#44]
updated pics from the owner in OP.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#45]
There isn't much metal on that top strap (or whatever it's called).  Is it possible that the space between the cylinder and the barrel was to large allowing a lot of gas to etch that area?
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There isn't much metal on that top strap (or whatever it's called).  Is it possible that the space between the cylinder and the barrel was to large allowing a lot of gas to etch that area?

hmmmm I wonder
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If I was carrying one and was stuck up I'd just hand over the money.

Link Posted: 3/30/2010 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#48]
I would never have something in 44 mag or spl that had "AirLite" on the frame..

It just don't seem the two should go together...
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#49]
I've been wanting the 329PD for years now, but I've seen an aweful lot of these same incidents this past year, so I think I'll stick with my heavy, steel .44 mag. I've run almost 2K rounds of .44 mag reloads through my two Taurus M44s with nary an issue.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Looks at pics at home tag.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top