Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Those 1200 yard sights on old rifles were for the purpose of 'volley fire' back in the days of horse drawn arty and no air support and few if any mobile mortars. It was ment to be used against massive formations of enemy armies, not small, highly maneurable dispersed opponents or used when the indiscriminate killing of civillians in built up urban areas is frowned upon.

I wonder why the Russians put a 1000m setting on the ladder sites of SKS and AK rifles when I don't even think the round would go that far even if you aimed it like a mortar.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
when i read shooter the guy just rubbed me wrong about what a bad ass he thought he was. he only missed like 3 shots in the whole book and he was constantly shooting over 800 yards. im sure hes full of shit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am seeing a lot of posts that talk about indierct fires.

You could call me an insider- we don't really use that much arty or airstrikes in today's conflicts.

The reason is simple- the time it takes to get steel on target is pretty slow.

Fire missions have to be passed from the PLT/Co to the fire support base/aircraft who must contact BDE where the S2, S3, and FS Coordinator must check the target to be sure we are clear. After that the FSB/aircraft is given permission to engage.

That is life in limited war. Most fire support MOSs are disappearing and becoming MPs.

-Hispeedal

Yes allot of FA and 08s are being used as provisional MPs/riflemen.  However, the Btry I commanded shot over 2000 rounds, the 11th Marines shot something like 25,000 rounds, the Btrys that took part in Fallujah shot over 4000 rounds a piece.  Don't forget all the 60, 81 and 120mm that was shot, And of course throw in all the JDAMs, AGM-114s and CIFS that has been used you come to realize that allot supporting arms have been used.

2,000 rds isn't really that much spread out over a year. 25,000 is impressive but, that was mostly during Operation Phantom Fury (Fallujah). There really has not been any major offensive operations like that since (probably will not be again). Phantom Fury is definitely an exception. But, even 25,000 rds does not come close to how we used arty in Vietnam or earlier. The days of using ary at the PLT- Co level for any and all problems is over. I would have loved to watch that shit fall in Fallujah- had to be a sight. Maybe in the next big war.

STLRN- What Battery did you command while you were there?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Originally from variblebinary

My professor was a graduate of west point, vietnam veteran, fluent in 3 languages and worked in a diplomatic capacity for our goverment for for over a decade before getting an easy tenured gig at the university I attended in NY. Woe to the world when internet couch commandos take the place of professors as our teachers. Even funnier when you dont even know the class taught or the type of instition, but nevermind.

Yea, I figured he was gonna be West Pointer..... Feel free to live vicariously thru  your Professor. I guess that makes him an expert in all things Military. That whole three launguage thing always helps understand Combat ranges thru history, and I can't tell you how usefull that diplomatic capacity has enriched this topic 110%.....

Please feel free to enlighten us on the class and Instituion. After all, those of you with a call for higher learning owe it to society to enlighten us couch commando's.........

So, are you a combat veteran?  If so, from which wars or campaigns?  How much military history have YOU studied?  How many military studies have you reviewed on this subject?  What are YOUR credentials on this subject?

Resorting to insulting the credentials of others is a sign on an large inferiority complex.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:24:09 AM EDT
[#5]
When in Central America most of my engagements were 35m and in due to terrain, vegetation, and subsequent limitation of visibilty.  I can't remember but once or twice that exceeded 50m, and most was within 7-10m and were the results of hasty ambushes and the targets entering right into the kill zones.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Heck, grab a laser range finder and take a look at where you live. I got up on the roof and the longest line of sight I had was 224yds.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
originally from SWO_daddy

So, are you a combat veteran? If so, from which wars or campaigns? How much military history have YOU studied? How many military studies have you reviewed on this subject? What are YOUR credentials on this subject?

Resorting to insulting the credentials of others is a sign on an large inferiority complex.

No. I am not a combat veteran. Just a Guy who served his country for 21 years in the field of combat Arms. Just a guy who was doing and teaching what others "Study"  Again your skills in reading comprehension come into question. At no time did I insult his professor. I simply pointed out that some of his skills (3 lauguages and diplomatic experience) had little or no relevancey to the discussion of Combat ranges.

Maybe you'd like to now share you experience with the class.....  I suppose I could go and find some body with those same credentials and use them to bolster my side of the debate.  Yea, theres that buddy I served with who had 2 tours in Vietnam and 3 purple hearts. I'll get him to help me.. What a great idea....... oh, wait, forget it, he won't do, he can only speak English and has never been in the Diplomatic Corp, and he's not a professor, just a letter carrier....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top