BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

sometimes it is for the best.  Like people who swear they will never put 75yo Mom or Dad in a nursing home, them Dad gets severe dementia and beats the shit out of 75yo Mom and 55yo sonny regularly.  If you havent been in those shoes, it is difficult to understand what OP is going thru.

OP, best of luck.
View Quote

This.

I have no experience with this sort of thing but having said that, it must be an agonizing decision for any parent to institutionalize their child, and the last thing they need is some self-righteous asshole saying "I'd never put my kid in an institution."

My heart goes out to you, OP and I am not much of an empath.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Metrocare services, through their Behavioral Treatment Services offers child/adolescent psychiatric services for autistic children. Very knowledgeable doc's.
You might try there. They have been doing psych services for 20 years.

BTS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My son has some minor stuff and when we switched insurance last year we went through hell just trying to find a psychiatrist who would see him and keep his medication going. I finally had to go to an out of network doctor and my insurance company agreed to cover us 90%. But literally when I called doctors on our lists (2 seperate insurance policies - one through a local city and one through Baylor Hospital) they all wanted cash up front at $300+/hour. I wish I could offer you some helpful advice, but it all sucks right now. You have my sympathy.

Our Children's House through Baylor used to treat a lot of kids for various stuff, but Baylor sold that off to Children's Hospital. We were getting OT there, but we ended up bailing.

Metrocare services, through their Behavioral Treatment Services offers child/adolescent psychiatric services for autistic children. Very knowledgeable doc's.
You might try there. They have been doing psych services for 20 years.

BTS

Ironically, that's where we ended up. It was ugly to get in, but once we got in, we have a great doctor and no issues.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My heart goes out to you.  We're very close friends with our neighbors, lived next to the 10 years now.  Their son sounds much like yours - I've been enlisted in helping find him when he escapes (often naked in sub-zero temps, and we find him on the railroad tracks), he completely destroys walls and furniture regularly, I once saw him climb onto the house and almost grab a live power line, etc etc, the list goes on and on and on.  Kid is 18 now, a beast (I mean he is very big and hard to control)...and the dad just died from leukemia.  The mom is trying to make it work, but frankly, I don't see how it can.  She simply doesn't have the resources to have him cared for somewhere.  What's a family to do in that situation?  
View Quote

They really need to talk to state agencies.  There is funding available for him.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No need to PM. But, I have no idea if the mechanisms are still in place. Heidi was 10 when I first saw her. I took her from my office directly to Parkland psych ER. They kicked us out, because she was dual diagnosis. A few days later I took her back, on a white warrant. They took her and then transferred her to the children's inpatient unit ( now gone ) run by DCMHMR. She was violent and psychotic. After a two week stay, with augmented staffing to provide 24 hour coverage, they transferred her ( by a judge's order - and that was significant ) to Terrell State Hospital. Terrell freaked out, and had their judge order TXMHMR to come get her. During this time, I had CPS file and dispose of her mothers parental rights. TXMHMR sent her to Fort Worth State School. They freaked out as they had no place for her, and she was tearing them to pieces. They went back to the Terrell judge, and had the judge order TXMHMR to provide adequate treatment. She got her own group home. With children of this profile, I often had to use the courts,CPS, and Advocacy Inc. to achieve a resolution. Texas does not like to admit they exist, and plans poorly for their treatment. Very poorly. I did have some families move to Missouri because they offer better treatment. Pro tip - a judge's order can make things happen very quickly. CPS hates to get involved, because they hate to write long term care contracts. I hope this helps.
View Quote

Iv'e been working with FWMHMR for some time now.  They have helped out a lot.  I'll pass this by them and see if there is avenue here that I can pursue.  Thank you for all the advise.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just out of vulgar curiosity, how big is this kid?

I have no experience with this sort of thing but having said that, it must be an agonizing decision for any parent to institutionalize their child, and the last thing they need is some self-righteous asshole saying "I'd never put my kid in an institution."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why I want to get him in there. Major behavioral problems is a norm for us. State hospital in Wichita Falls twice multiple psych ward stays at cooks and countless ER visits. The latest group home put up Wayne's coating throughout the house, as I suggest, but this was not strong enough and he just kicks right through it when he gets mad, which is every couple days. Next time I'll recommend 1/2 inch plywood.

Just out of vulgar curiosity, how big is this kid?

He just turned 15.  He's around 5'6".  The problem is really that pain doesn't mean much to him.  The staff at his group home started to get clever and had him taking his shoes off the moment he got home from school.  The first couple times he kicked the wall bare footed he didn't like it, but after that he didn't really care.  He figured out how to kick with the ball off his foot so he could go through the wanes coating.  The other day he punched out a window in the home because his Ipad died.

GD can be a pretty rough place to talk about personal shit.  But I have not found anything asked or said upsetting in this thread.

I've carried that kid slung over my shoulder after having to get him from school because he peed on another student.  Weaponized Autism?  The first country to harness that kind of power will rule or destroy the fucking world.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top