Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
buy a Glock.
View Quote

Crom is strong.  If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the Riddle of Steel?"  If I do not know it, he will laugh at me and cast me out of Valhalla.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

FAIL.

Please tell me you're trolling?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whew....glad I sold that 29-3 last year.......

FAIL.

Nope....sold it for $800........$500 profit.   I'm pretty sure it was a 3. Pinned barrel, recessed chambers, etc.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Before everyone freaks out on the second-hand statement from an un-named help desk operator - take a deep breath and give it a little time to check out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I doubt S&W would steal your gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If your older gun breaks and you send it off to them they scrap it and will "replace" it with a M&P Series gun.

They have done it in the past when they cease production of certain frames and parts.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know much of anything about S&W pistols. But it seems like a good amount of police departments used them. Did any military forces use them? Just curious. They look nice.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I don't know much of anything about S&W pistols. But it seems like a good amount of police departments used them. Did any military forces use them? Just curious. They look nice.
View Quote
Japanese Coast Guard and Bahamian Navy along with a ton of US, Canadian, and other foreign LE agencies and Para-Militart units.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]
They were damn good guns. No idea why they quit making them. Not every gun has to be made out of plastic.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nope....sold it for $800........$500 profit.   I'm pretty sure it was a 3. Pinned barrel, recessed chambers, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAIL.

You do realize that revolvers aren't the guns mentioned in the title of this thread, and that both the 29 and 629 are in current production, right?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They were damn good guns. No idea why they quit making them. Not every gun has to be made out of plastic.
View Quote

Demand or lack thereof and I'd bet the build cost is far higher then an M&P.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They have done it in the past when they cease production of certain frames and parts.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your older gun breaks and you send it off to them they scrap it and will "replace" it with a M&P Series gun.

Yeah.

People who sent in high end wood and stainless Thompson Center rimfire semi-auto R55's got back cheap plinker M&P 22's.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was mostly due to the success of the M&P

The M&P exists because of the success of Glock.

There was never a problem or issue with the M&P.  Rather the demand has shifted.

Margin is likely fine on the third gens as long as they are being produced in high enough numbers.

But the M&P obviously has a higher unit margin.

So there is no going back without the volume.

S&W could probably release limited runs of certain popular third gens and make a small profit, and justify the production of a lot of replacement parts.  i.e. do an annual run of 3913's for Lipseys or something for $700 per.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There was never a problem or issue with the M&P.  Rather the demand has shifted.

Margin is likely fine on the third gens as long as they are being produced in high enough numbers.

S&W could probably release limited runs of certain popular third gens and make a small profit, and justify the production of a lot of replacement parts.  i.e. do an annual run of 3913's for Lipseys or something for $700 per.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm betting production capacity is the straw that broke the back. I heard one report that S&W packed up Roy Jinks's museum space to accommodate more production machinery for the Shield because they had nowhere else to put it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#14]
The problem with ensuring a back catalog of parts for the third gens be available is that there were so damn many third ten variants, that it makes it rather difficult.

Granted, some parts are shared across multiple lines, but some are very specialized such as the PC guns.  Recent example being are people with PC and some TSW's that use a dual-spring recoil spring that are unobtanium.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Does this mean I should or shouldn't buy the dirt cheap S&W third gens that everyone is going apeshit about?

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah.

People who sent in high end wood and stainless Thompson Center rimfire semi-auto R55's got back cheap plinker M&P 22's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.

No, but folks that sent backfirst production 3913s had their guns swapped when S&W changed the frame dimensions. It has happened and is documented. Ruger also has a history of doing so with some guns.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
buy a Glock.
View Quote

glocks go kaBOOM
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm betting production capacity is the straw that broke the back. I heard one report that S&W packed up Roy Jinks's museum space to accommodate more production machinery for the Shield because they had nowhere else to put it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure that Third gen production is in Houlton now.  All of the NYPD 3913's have Houlton, ME on the frames.

But the capacity probably had diminished with machinery either being retired or used for M&P and 1911 lines.  No reinvestment in third gens was likely.

S&W just invested $22M into a polymer frame factory.  They are going to likely make that investment pay off.  Not reinvest in other pistols.

If they have limited third gen capacity, they have been using it as long as it would remain profitable.  They may be approaching the point where it doesn't make sense to not only retain the machinery but the people, parts, and tooling.

They also may have to pay taxes on their spare parts, and certainly on their machinery.  While it may wash out in the end, it doesn't make a very neat P&L statement to have machinery and spares allocated to a pistol line that only cranks up occasionally.  Their inventory system also might be based on usage, so literally keeping parts on file that don't cost them any money to store, may cost them to keep an electronic record of it.

Hey S&W you know how to find me if you want some real analysis on this type of subject.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#19]
So what is the score?

All we have is the word from a random Cust Service guy?

Do I have that right?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Crom is strong.  If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the Riddle of Steel?"  If I do not know it, he will laugh at me and cast me out of Valhalla.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
buy a Glock.

No one asks the "Riddle of Plastic..."  
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, that just sux if it is true...

But I think I am pretty good on all 3 of my hammers!

Yes, that is 2 4506R3 models and a 4506-1 adjustable sites!

Trying to find a 4566R3 and a 4516-1 (R3) both with the laser engraving to match my R3's.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Now that I've thought about it I've got my old issue 4586 before transitioning.  I bought it. I love it. Got a 9mm 5904 and some older S&Ws before the lawyer locks.

Part of me wants to just dump it all because I dont want a bunch of orphan guns but the memories and I just love my guns. I said in another of OPs thread. Last of the great American steel.

Tried the M&P. HATE THEM! Don't care what some instructor du jour puts his name on it. NO!

I use a Glock. Its a tool. It just shoots. Not bad but pretty utilitarian.
These gen 3s have soul. For me they are long hours. They are righting wrongs. They are a good guy's gun. Stainless steel. Black grip. Miami Vice. Law and Order (not the show). There's no doubting their intention.

Old guys matriculated from Model 19s to Smith Autos. Middle aged guys rode the coattails and now choose between Glock or Brand X Glock.

There must be a way for Smith to reconsider.  I dumped a lot of Ruger and HK stuff over shenanigans.  Would hate to divorce S&W but....
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You do realize that revolvers aren't the guns mentioned in the title of this thread, and that both the 29 and 629 are in current production, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAIL.

Sorry...Thought he was talkin about all 3rd editions........
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There just isn't much on those guns that's gonna break or need replacing, other than springs, which I'm sure Wolff or some such will keep making, and grips, which I'm sure Hogue will keep making.  

These guns have been out of production (other than a few LE contracts) for quite some time now... it's hardly surprising that Smith didn't want to just keep making parts forever.
View Quote

+1.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I like my M&Ps a lot; but no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

m&p is ten times the gun that is, i don't see the problem.

I like my M&Ps a lot; but no.
Maybe if you're only going by weight.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I fail to see the problem.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the guy who had his property taken file a complaint with his state's Attorney General?

S&W would be making it right at no cost to me if they didn't give me the choice of having my property returned.

Michigan's AG is pretty tough on stuff like that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

So what is the score?

All we have is the word from a random Cust Service guy?

Do I have that right?
View Quote

Around here - all you need is half a fart from a nameless customer service guy to start a panic.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And this is why I prefer designs like the AR15, Remington 870, Glock (at least until they came out with gen 4 without full parts compatibility ) and 1911s. Someone will always be making parts for these.
View Quote

ah someone who gets it......

common guns guys common guns...buy them whenever you can. I just replaced the 24 year old recoil spring and guide rod on my gen 2 pre recall g17 this evening. bought the new parts on amazon.

G17
shield 9
AK
rem 700
22/45 lite

got 2 oddies in the mix a winchester 290 and a nylon 77.

if you want to collect odd guns as collectibles by all means....but as regular shooters items...no.

I do find it odd S&W is dropping support for the 3rd gen guns so quick. Guns aren't like operating systems. they don't wear out quickly nor do they become obsolete quickly. most of us are shooting guns designed between 1911 and 1960. hell my list the shield and the g17 are the newest gun designs on the list and G17 is 30 years old in design.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fail post is fail.

DA/SA metal framed gun > striker fired polymer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail post is fail.

you need to clean out your bong. yes 3rd gen smiths are great guns and I sure as shit wouldn't feel un armed with one. hell 12-13 years ago I owned a 915 great pistol cheap and reliable. the world has moved on from DA/SA to striker fired guns. I railed against it too. 10 years ago I wouldn't be caught dead with plastic fantastic. now its all I own.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I've had 3rd gen S&W guns since the first 3913 rolled off the assembly line. Now I've got a 4553 TSW, 3953 and a 1076 to keep it company. I've put thousands of rounds through them without a single part failure, not even a stinking spring has failed. Somehow, I'm not too concerned.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I fail to see the problem.
View Quote

Do you remember the Baltimore Colts?
Do you remember Ecto Cooler?
Do you remember Waffle Chips?

This is like that but worse.
Worse...
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
you need to clean out your bong. yes 3rd gen smiths are great guns and I sure as shit wouldn't feel un armed with one. hell 12-13 years ago I owned a 915 great pistol cheap and reliable. the world has moved on from DA/SA to striker fired guns. I railed against it too. 10 years ago I wouldn't be caught dead with plastic fantastic. now its all I own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail post is fail.

So anyone who disagrees with you is on drugs?  Thanks for opening your mouth, I only thought you were a fool before, now I'm sure.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#34]
People still use these antiques?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#35]
my advice would be to stock up  on commonly broken and replaced parts like springs. if you can get them aftermarket ala wolf do so.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#36]
If there is a demand, someone will contract for a run of parts. I wouldn't be too concerned.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So anyone who disagrees with you is on drugs?  Thanks for opening your mouth, I only thought you were a fool before, now I'm sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail post is fail.

reading comprehension fail. I didn't say that. what i said was he's on drugs if he believes that the DA/SA system is better than a striker fired gun. or a single action or a DAO for that matter. there is simply less training that needs to be done to master the 3 other trigger systems than the DA/SA. its an obsolete trigger system and has been for decades.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, we are talking 3rd gen smiths.  Not 1911's.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

They were new when I got it....

Maybe we should all just live in square hovels in a perfect hippie commune where everyone is the same.

See they take sugar out my Coca Cola. ..
They pop the 0bama logo on my Pepsi Cola...
They take away real American cars...
They kick me off to "Steve" in India to 'help' with my problem in America...
They cancel Firefly....
and now this.

This.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I will never get my 3913 back from my FIL anyway. I loaned it to him a few years back and he loves it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1911's are still relevant.

3rd gen smiths are just a reminder that people forgot which way the safety should go.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stop being simple minded.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

3rd gen smiths are just a reminder that people forgot which way the safety should go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh.

People use those as safeties?

It's just a decocker to me
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Oh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh.

guess it makes enjoying the purposeless trigger easier.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh.

okay
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
okay
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

okay
Guess you missed my old write up on it!  Wanna hear it here it goes!  

Double action pistols hit
their stride in the 70's and 80's, and quickly became adopted by police
agencies as a transition from revolvers.  As seen with GLOCK,
when something gets widely adopted by Police or Military, it legitimizes
whatever that is and gets pretty desirable.  Hell it's why my Dad owns a
Ruger P89, a guy who's most modern pistol was a Ruger Blackhawk...Anyways,
Double action exists today because it was adopted by people who were
scared to trust people with single action pistols.  
It's a compromise design that puts safety ahead of everything else
adopted by people who would probably rather have users running around
with empty chambers (I.E. Military).

Then there's the whole two
trigger pull weight thing. Which is the central issue.  "That's not a
problem, you can get good at it" is the typical response, almost always
by some one defending a DA/SA purchase.  The real question is, why
should you have to?  SA triggers are faster and crisper, DAO triggers
are lighter than the DA pull and consistent, and striker fired pistols
are also light and consistent.  Bottom line, all have the benefit of one
trigger pull.

Taking that a step farther if double action/
single action is so great, and is easy to train for, why not simplify
things, and make it double action only, or single action only?  
Traditionally the path to success is found in finding the fastest,
simplest ways to do things.  Notice that in competition, revolver
shooters don't thumb the hammer back after every shot, they simply shoot
double action.  Some are very, very fast and accurate.  Just as much as
anyone with a semi auto of any style.  This leads me to further believe
that DA/SA on a semi auto is superfluous at best.

In my opinion,
any DA/SA pistol would be a better firearm if it picked one or the
other, instead of some hermaphroditic concoction of both.   Sure I, or
almost anyone, can train up to the point it doesn't matter. But then...
what's the point?  If a DA/SA pistol can be shot just as well as a SAO,
why spend any time and effort when you can just get a SAO?  Nominally
1/15th of your trigger pulls are going to be DA anyways (or less).  What
advantage does the initial DA pull offer besides needing to train to
overcome it to shoot the SA pulls that are the majority?  Safety?  The
ability to carry hammer down?  Really it seems like the largest benefit
of DA/SA is for people that are scared to have the hammer back on a
firearm, probably why they became so popular with police departments
looking to PC it up.

In summary, DA/SA does neither DA/SA
effectively, is made for people who are scared of cocked hammers, and
incurs a training debt to have the same ability as people just starting
on dedicated DAO/Striker or SA firearms.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Madcap, I have no problem with DA/SA. I simply cock the hammer and stick the gun in my holster. When I want to shoot something, I pull it out and enjoy a nice single action.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Double action pistols hit their stride in the 70's and 80's, blahblahblahblahblahblahbalhblahblahblahblahblahWEKNOWALLTHISALREADY WEKNEWTHISSHIT15YEARSAGOblahblahblah
In summary, DA/SA does neither DA/SA effectively, is made for people who are scared of cocked hammers, and incurs a training debt to have the same ability as people just starting on dedicated DAO/Striker or SA firearms.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

okay

Double action pistols hit their stride in the 70's and 80's, blahblahblahblahblahblahbalhblahblahblahblahblahWEKNOWALLTHISALREADY WEKNEWTHISSHIT15YEARSAGOblahblahblah
In summary, DA/SA does neither DA/SA effectively, is made for people who are scared of cocked hammers, and incurs a training debt to have the same ability as people just starting on dedicated DAO/Striker or SA firearms.

DA/SA is still regularly adopted in departments moving to Sig Sauer and HK handguns, and is present in longtime users of these, and Beretta handguns.

It sucks, but it could be worse.

Oh and until Glock makes a single stack 9mm, this is the epitome of slim carry gun.  It's DAO that approximates and predates the HK LEM or Sig DAK by a decade at least, so your write up doesn't really apply to this, or several other 3rd gens.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Madcap, I have no problem with DA/SA. I simply cock the hammer and stick the gun in my holster. When I want to shoot something, I pull it out and enjoy a nice single action.
View Quote

You do what?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Should rename the M&P to  S&W glock series....all the ugliness and trigger stupidity too.

Now I'll go tuck my model 39 and 5906 in for the night and read them bedtime stories.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top