User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 4:31:01 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Posted by GoatHerder:

Agnostic- one who believed at one time in deity but does not now or has no knowledge of anything religious.

Atheist- does not nor ever believed in deity

I don’t know where your definitions came from, but I don’t agree with them.

Agnostics are commonly understood to be those who admit they don’t know whether there are gods.  They haven’t been convinced, but aren’t willing, for whatever reason, to take a stand that no gods exist.  

They may never have believed.  

They may have studied the subject extensively.  

Atheists state that there are no gods, period.  They may have believed at one time (I did when I was a small child), but have come to the conclusion that all gods are mythical.  

Many Atheists, myself included, have studied religion extensively and for decades.  

I don't agree with your definition either, so join the club.

Atheism include those who will only say "I don't believe in God".    I would never say "there are no gods, period".

Link Posted: 2/19/2011 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Attempting to organize non-religious atheists is like herding cats, or more to the point, like trying to corral non-stamp collectors under a common theme.

People who happen to constitute under the label of "atheism" do so for apparently two reasons. Those who publically oppose dogmatic religious intrusions into political and social life (antitheists) and/or those individuals who have been psychologically harmed by religion as a child, or have family members who have experienced or are undergoing the deleterious effects of superstitious religious delusions. The latter attempt to cope or adjust by coordinating rational self help groups to that affect.

Outside those perimeters, atheistic understanding is merely an afterthought weighed and balanced by the sheer and abundant lack of pursuasive evidence for legendary historic gods or contemporary intercessory god conceptualizations. Everyone is atheist about one god or another. Atheists just go one tiny step further and state they do not belief in ANY god(s).
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't consider myself an atheist, per se, but I believe the desire to organize comes from a need for like-minded human connections.  In many cases, openly rejecting the faith you were indoctrinated with as a child has a very alienating effect on family and friend relationships.  It can be a bit traumatic, and, speaking for myself, I feel like I was cheated and lied to as I was growing up, and if organizing and making the message heard simply that it is OK to question religious beliefs relieves someone else of some similar trauma, I don't see a problem with that.

There are some who take it a bit far in my opinion, as a counter reaction, and get together and just whine and complain, and even seek out religious targets to attack.  I think the hostile atheist contingent, like Christopher Hitchens go out of their way to be assholes, but it is good for people to hear that kind of discussion out in the open.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Back on the original thread,

When George H.W. Bush is quoted as saying [roughly paraphrased]  

" . . . athiests shouldn't have any part in this country. This is one nation under god,"  

that might give you a better taste of what it's like to be an athiest in this country. It can be incredibly awkward at times, especially in the midwest bible belt.

Bottom line is, a true athiest wouldn't give a damn about having a support group. They are typically independent thinkers, and confident enough in their own beliefs that they don't need to have others in their club to give their own beleifs validity.

That being said, for "god's sake" let them have their support group / sign. It's America . . .
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Back on the original thread,

When George H.W. Bush is quoted as saying [roughly paraphrased]  

" . . . athiests shouldn't have any part in this country. This is one nation under god,"  

that might give you a better taste of what it's like to be an athiest in this country. It can be incredibly awkward at times, especially in the midwest bible belt.

Bottom line is, a true athiest wouldn't give a damn about having a support group. They are typically independent thinkers, and confident enough in their own beliefs that they don't need to have others in their club to give their own beleifs validity.

That being said, for "god's sake" let them have their support group / sign. It's America . . .

I have to agree with you... Atheists are treated worse than communists or child molesters in this country.

I'm an atheist, but I dont fit into the mold that many people try to jam us all into.

I don't really care if my money says "In god we trust" ...shit, any atheist that doesn't want their dollars can give em to me

I put up a christmas tree, & celebrate st. nicholas eve (its a Dutch thing)

I have a wife & 3 kids.... My wife is agnostic, son is agnostic, one daughter is an atheist and one is a believer.... (I don't know how much she believes, its mainly grandma time when she goes to church, that may change when grandma's stories become unbelievable to her too)

I have joined a "atheist forum" that meets with other atheists, but I have declined to meet with them because they tend to lean to the left a little too much (as do many atheists) so in that sense, the only thing we really have in common is our lack of faith.

In the words of the late great Ronny Van Zant " I'd rather be fishin"

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I only recently started going to church.  I wasnt an atheist or anything, more of a "Well I havent really thought about it that much."  But my current girlfriend sings in the choir so I go to enjoy her do her thing.  And I will admit it is quite spiritual and soothing.  

To me an "atheist church" would be something similar.  A group of people getting together to share ideas of their tenants and just unwind after a busy week of whatever they do.  Because I like the community side of church alot more than the sermons.  I see no reason you couldnt round up a bunch of pro-science people and have them organize a bake sale or fish fry.  Who doesnt like brownies or fish?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top