Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I know at what point it bcomes Page 2.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#2]
What is this hoarding you speak of?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The difference between compulsive hoarding and simply being prepared is a matter of organization.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No. Hoarders keep useless, valueless stuff. Heaps and piles of old news papers. A barn full of broken, rusting lawn mowers. My grandpa was a hoarder, at least partially. He came through the depression and I think that mindset of not throwing anything away was resultant from that.

If a person has stacks and stacks of valuable, useful stuff, they are a collector or just someone who sees that they will have a good possibility of using those items for something in the future.

I'm the latter,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hoarders aren't organized. That's the difference.

Tidy shelves and tuff boxes, you're fine. Piles, you're not.

no.

a lot of collectors are hoarders.

if you have rooms that are floor to ceiling with possessions you are a hoarder.

No. Hoarders keep useless, valueless stuff. Heaps and piles of old news papers. A barn full of broken, rusting lawn mowers. My grandpa was a hoarder, at least partially. He came through the depression and I think that mindset of not throwing anything away was resultant from that.

If a person has stacks and stacks of valuable, useful stuff, they are a collector or just someone who sees that they will have a good possibility of using those items for something in the future.

I'm the latter,

Who are you to tell grand pappy his pile of lawnmowers are useless? Your value of his collection may differ than his. Would a pallets  of nicely organized tapco furniture be a nice collection or useless junk? I think that would be hoarding. I'm just trying to get an idea on when its hoarding vs a collection.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Who are you to tell grand pappy his pile of lawnmowers are useless? Your value of his collection may differ than his. Would a pallets  of nicely organized tapco furniture be a nice collection or useless junk? I think that would be hoarding. I'm just trying to get an idea on when its hoarding vs a collection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no.

a lot of collectors are hoarders.

if you have rooms that are floor to ceiling with possessions you are a hoarder.

I'm the latter,

You're judging the value of the tapco furniture to you and using that as the determinant. That's silly. The only objective criterion is cleanliness and organization.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is exactly what I've been telling my wife for years

For example:
http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/pmag_dry_box_storage.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/ammo_cans.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/rimfire_shelf2.jpg

Not a hoarder.

I just realized shelf sag sets off my OCD.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]
When you can no longer walk through your home without climbing over empty pmags wrappers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't believe I am entitled to your "stash" in panic prices. I never said that people deserve what you have an excess of. I just don't see having 2 lifetimes supply of ammo when you only live one,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hoarding is the word the leeches use when they think they deserve some of what you have collected/gathered. Especially when there is a shortage.

Don't allow the FSA to shape your use of the language.

I don't believe I am entitled to your "stash" in panic prices. I never said that people deserve what you have an excess of. I just don't see having 2 lifetimes supply of ammo when you only live one,

There you go being arbitrary again. What is a lifetime supply of ammo? For a 3 gunner, hunter, casual shooter, or someone who attends a lot of classes? When I used to go to MG shoots I went through a lot of ammo.

As far as living only one life, does that mean I shouldn't provide for my son, and my grandchildren? Since I can't forsee the future I want to leave them well-supplied.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hoarding is the word the leeches use when they think they deserve some of what you have collected/gathered. Especially when there is a shortage.

Don't allow the FSA to shape your use of the language.

I have kids.

I wish my dad would have seen the benefit in stacking deep back when 1911s were 40 bucks, hipowers were 30, etc.

I have enough .22lr that I'm not worried about prices or supply. That's because, when it was 8 bucks a brick, I took advantage of that very low price. Same with 100 dollar/case 7.62 nato.

I feel badly for folks just getting into shooting. The cost would be prohibitive to me having fun at it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I misread the thread title.

You said hoarding

View Quote

mag hoarders vs. mag whores

same same
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This. If your home isn't dirty and smells good, you G2G!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no its still Hoarding

hoard
[hawrd, hohrd]

noun
a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc.:
a vast hoard of silver.
verb (used with object)
to accumulate for preservation, future use, etc., in a hidden or carefully guarded place:
to hoard food during a shortage.
verb (used without object)
to accumulate money, food, or the like, in a hidden or carefully guarded place for preservation, future use, etc.

it doesn't mean you save bottles of piss, you have a large amount of stuff and you have difficulty parting with it. if your house looks like a gun store and nothing is for sale you're a hoarder.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

no its still Hoarding

hoard
[hawrd, hohrd]

noun
a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc.:
a vast hoard of silver.
verb (used with object)
to accumulate for preservation, future use, etc., in a hidden or carefully guarded place:
to accumulate money, food, or the like, in a hidden or carefully guarded place for preservation, future use, etc.

it doesn't mean you save bottles of piss, you have a large amount of stuff and you have difficulty parting with it. if your house looks like a gun store and nothing is for sale you're a hoarder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no its still Hoarding

hoard
[hawrd, hohrd]

noun
a vast hoard of silver.
verb (used with object)

That's not the definition of hoarder in this context. What you're saying is like defining "gay" as happy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Hoarding can involve volume or mass as in - your sister cant stay here. The spare bedroom is now my A R mag room. Or it can be monetay as in, can we get the kids on free lunch? I need the extra cash because Botach has a pmag sale going on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Of course posting a picture taken of a decent sized amount of any given item should be considered hoarding
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top