Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What  did you get  your degree in, and who certifies you as a Personal Trainer?  How often do you go to continuing education to maintain your certfication?

Hax

OK this is a good one as I think this is widely misunderstood. I have a Liberal Arts Degree. You can currently call yourself a "Trainer" with practically nothing to back it up. It is a BIG problem IMHO.

There are different Certifying bodies out there and their rules are different for each as to when/how much continuing education you need to do. It seems nowadays that anyone who wants to make some extra money puts out a "Certification".

So for those that might be interested in getting certed or want to know if their trainer is legit, I suggest looking for a NASM, ACSM, ACE,NSCA, NSCA-CSCS as their "Base" and consider the others as "specialties"  or supplements to their basic training knowledge.

I've been working for 10 years as a Trainer or Trainer Manager, and have "certed" through ACE/APEX/NASM/USAW and I'm a EMT.

With all this being said, I have met, interviewed or worked with guys/gals that were much more specifically educated than me such as BA in sports science or exercise physiology, and they couldn't train their way out of a bag. Then others still that should be writing books on how to train, but these people are the exception NOT the rule.

I understand the whole Ive been a trainer for such and such years and yes there are lots of people that come out of EXSS or Physiology degrees that dont know shit, but to be honest I dont care how long you have been doing it. Internet advice is crap. You have no idea what these people would be looking at health wise, you are doing any sort of questionaire anything. IF you want to share advice hit the fitness forum, and help out there.

And if you want some background from me I am an EXSS (exercise sport science) BS from Oregon State, Certified by ACSM, NSCA with my CSCS. and currently one of the strength and conditioning coaches at OSU and HATE THIS INTERNET BULLSHIT.

Thanks for sharing your hatred of INTERNET BULLSHIT (on the Internet).    

I think this is more in the general [and popular GD] category of "Ask someone in this field dumb questions about his field" than him trolling for Olympic athlete clients in GD.

Not what I meant. Guess I missunderstood his motives. If its the fact people are asking him what its like to work in a gym, and be a personal trainer, I was just stating that if he wants to give EX advice to move it.

and thanks for your moderating of me jesus without you the GD would be shit I forget the GD is the GD sometimes.

I get paid to give exercise advice, this is just for fun. Plus there are so many people willing to give out such erroneous info I thoiught I could clear some of it up.  the exercise forum has many people giving out info that are not qualified at all.

T

I agree completely thats why I guess I get so fired up. When youve put in the work and you see people spew verbal diarrhea all over the internet it sucks. Gets the blood a boiling.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
whats the best supplement for energy and weight loss if poper diet isnt possbile. I w/o and exercise and seem to have platoed. Again proper diet just not possible right now.  14.2 bmi looking to drop about 10 more lbs

There really is no substitute for a healthy diet. I know it sound like bullshit but it's true.

a Plateau can mean many things tho not just diet. Change of methods, reps, sets, exercises may be your key.

Weight loss is mostly a diet problem IMO, assuming that the fitness program is at least roughly focused on ones goal already, it would be hard to drop 10lbs or significantly increase your energy by changing your reps etc. Now If he is on a BB program and decides to start training for marathons thats a differnt story, in this type of scenario you could drop significant weight from Program Variables alone, I guess it depends on the specifics.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Who are you certified through?

I am thinking about getting my CSCS (nsca).
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What would be a good fee to pay for a personal trainer?  Give me a good idea of what a personal trainer would cost so I don't get shafted.

aahh hmmmm *cough
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What  did you get  your degree in, and who certifies you as a Personal Trainer?  How often do you go to continuing education to maintain your certfication?

Hax

OK this is a good one as I think this is widely misunderstood. I have a Liberal Arts Degree. You can currently call yourself a "Trainer" with practically nothing to back it up. It is a BIG problem IMHO.

There are different Certifying bodies out there and their rules are different for each as to when/how much continuing education you need to do. It seems nowadays that anyone who wants to make some extra money puts out a "Certification".

So for those that might be interested in getting certed or want to know if their trainer is legit, I suggest looking for a NASM, ACSM, ACE,NSCA, NSCA-CSCS as their "Base" and consider the others as "specialties"  or supplements to their basic training knowledge.

I've been working for 10 years as a Trainer or Trainer Manager, and have "certed" through ACE/APEX/NASM/USAW and I'm a EMT.

With all this being said, I have met, interviewed or worked with guys/gals that were much more specifically educated than me such as BA in sports science or exercise physiology, and they couldn't train their way out of a bag. Then others still that should be writing books on how to train, but these people are the exception NOT the rule.

I understand the whole Ive been a trainer for such and such years and yes there are lots of people that come out of EXSS or Physiology degrees that dont know shit, but to be honest I dont care how long you have been doing it. Internet advice is crap. You have no idea what these people would be looking at health wise, you are doing any sort of questionaire anything. IF you want to share advice hit the fitness forum, and help out there.

And if you want some background from me I am an EXSS (exercise sport science) BS from Oregon State, Certified by ACSM, NSCA with my CSCS. and currently one of the strength and conditioning coaches at OSU and HATE THIS INTERNET BULLSHIT.

I think this is more in the general [and popular GD] category of "Ask someone in this field dumb questions about his field" than him trolling for Olympic athlete clients in GD.

Not what I meant. Guess I missunderstood his motives. If its the fact people are asking him what its like to work in a gym, and be a personal trainer, I was just stating that if he wants to give EX advice to move it.

and thanks for your moderating of me jesus without you the GD would be shit I forget the GD is the GD sometimes.

You seem new, yet you have 2 years and 650 posts. This is confusing. You must be an enigma.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would be a good fee to pay for a personal trainer?  Give me a good idea of what a personal trainer would cost so I don't get shafted.

aahh hmmmm *cough

Sorry Hard to keep up. around here it's between 50-75 per hour. But it varies a little on location.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
1.  What is your opinion of HIT (High Intensity Traning)?

2.  For those of us who get ravenously hungry due to burning calories via frequent workouts (5-7x per week), what semi-healthy snack foods to you recommend to stave off hunger pangs?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

aahh hmmmm *cough

Sorry Hard to keep up. around here it's between 50-75 per hour. But it varies a little on location.

Crap!  I work out at least 5 days a week, there is no way I would pay anyone that much a session.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I want your honest assessments of Crossfit, P90x, and Rosstraining.

For notes, I am a novice Crossfitter.  It has given me great results.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Back in a couple hours.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

2.  For those of us who get ravenously hungry due to burning calories via frequent workouts (5-7x per week), what semi-healthy snack foods to you recommend to stave off hunger pangs?

Thanks.

Low GI ( Glycemic Index ) fruits and almonds does it for me.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hax

You seem new, yet you have 2 years and 650 posts. This is confusing. You must be an enigma.

I spend very little time in the GD and post mostly in tech and a couple others. So I know whats going on, just didnt realize his motives. I guess the last one of these I saw was the guy who used to be a strip club owner and thought it was a joke. But even then I could still be an enigma, you'll never know
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Should I keep doing this routine:

Chest/triceps

Back/Biceps

Shoulders

Legs?

Or should I try one of the "starting strength exercises"

I try to workout with mostly free weights on compound exercise, (bench, squats, curls)  rather than just foucusing on my "bicep peaks"

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Realistically, how many lbs of body fat can I loose in the next 45 days or so?

I'm 6'0 185, kinda lanky buy have a spare tire and extra fat around my lats.....think E.T.

I'm running a 10min mile + standard workout (isolating muscle groups daily)  (5 days a week)

Cut out soda, fast food, and general sweets from diet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm 6'0 185, kinda lanky buy have a spare tire and extra fat around my lats.....think E.T.

I'm running a 10min mile + standard workout (isolating muscle groups daily)  (5 days a week)

Whats your BF% and are you just starting to workout?? If so healthily you can expect 1 to 2 lbs a week, maybe a few lbs in the first week because of water weight, but need more of your stats for any sort of shot in the wind guess

This is the reason this thread should not be here, Needs to be moved to fitness forum.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats your BF% and are you just starting to workout?? If so healthily you can expect 1 to 2 lbs a week, maybe a few lbs in the first week because of water weight, but need more of your stats for any sort of shot in the wind guess
This is the reason this thread should not be here, Needs to be moved to fitness forum.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#17]
What's the pitfalls of drinking beer and working out?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the uselessness post whore
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who died and made you the resident fitness expert and GD mod?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#20]
How can I train for hot humid weather without being in hot humid weather?

Last year I went down to Oklahoma D-Day (google it), a week long paintball event in June. Before going, I was jogging 5 miles/day (10 minute mile average) up in MA. When I went down to OK, I was drinking 2-3 gallons/day plus athletic drinks, barely keeping up with everyone else, and ended up leaving half way through after a visit to an emergency room (dehydration, low sodium, low potasium). I'd love to do it again, but only if I can find some way to reasonably train for it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#21]
This thread is full of fail
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Who died and made you the resident fitness expert and GD mod?

I would ask you the same??
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Proof that GD can turn ANY topic into a slugfest.
Stop, before you make the Baby Jesus cry.

thank you that was needed
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#25]
When you see obese people gorging on food, how disgusted do you get?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#26]

alright, how can i get bigger and more ripped at the same time?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#27]
is it wrong to eat junk food all the time even thought you do alot of cardio almost everyday ?, btw i am good shape
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#28]
My friend says that running/ cardio in general is bad for you since you lose muscle mass more than you do body fat. As a result your metabolism would decrease since of the loss of muscle mass. Is this true? My friend is a body builder.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My friend says that running/ cardio in general is bad for you since you lose muscle mass more than you do body fat. As a result your metabolism would decrease since of the loss of muscle mass. Is this true? My friend is a body builder.

Your friend is an idiot
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Do you recommend whey protein and if so, how many grams of it a day should a male consume?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your friend is an idiot

+1
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#32]
If you wear wings while running on a treadmill will you take off?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you wear wings while running on a treadmill will you take off?

yes at a speed of 10 and incline of 10
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do you recommend whey protein and if so, how many grams of it a day should a male consume?

If you are trying to gain muscle mass, and youre working out hard 4-6 days a week youll want to consume anywhere between 1-2 grams per pound.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#35]
If diet is the key to success....Can you recommend me a good diet plan for the week? I don't mind eating the same things everyday. I just really want to see results. 165lbs / 5'10" I think I should be somewhere around 2300 calories a day.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are trying to gain muscle mass, and youre working out hard 4-6 days a week youll want to consume anywhere between 1-2 grams per pound.
Of body weight? So if Im 218lbs I need to consume 109 grams of protein daily?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1-2 grams per pound math wizz

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1-2 grams per pound math wizz

Yes per pound so like me who weighs 250 I consume around 300 grams of protein a day...I shit like a mother fucker too!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, sorry per pound of body weight.  So youll want to be around 218 grams or more.  This is mostly because your body cant process a lot of protein at once, but that you need that much for your muscles to rebuild themselves.  Do 4-5 servings of of 30-40 gram shakes along with meals and youll be fine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Tell me about recovery timeRecovery time is dependent on the activity

Also, I avoid weights because I don't want to get all bulky and lose flexibility Using "weights" doesn't necessarily lead to bulk, however general rule for me is that if you can't handle your body weight adding weight isn't necessary yet. It's good to be concerned with flexibility, having proper mov't prep and recovery as part of your training program allows you to make gains here as well.  . Should I just stick to cardio and forget the lifting ?Almost always you should do both.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#41]
How many burpees can you do?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How can I reduce soreness and pain during recovery?

Proper Mov't Prep prior to exercise, Good mechanics during exercise (ex. Your foot constantly flattening or rolling inward during running will leave you more open to sore or injured knees), Self or Assisted massage post exercise, Stretching, Hydrate, Proper diet (includes protein/amino), sleep. oh and stop drinking a six pack after you exercise...j/k

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#43]
What are the testosterone levels of the body builders that are featured on magazine covers?  They didn't get their naturally and are obviously using steroids.  So how high are they getting their testosterone levels in order to look like that?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Front Squat vs Back Squat.  Which do you prefer and why?

I love them both like they were my children  The Front, Back, and Overhead Squat as well as the Deadlift are the "Bread and Butter" of Functional Movement, and IMO anyone who is serious about exercise will get professional instruction in these lifts.

Do you teach squat as ass to grass, or thighs parallel to the floor?  And why?

I follow what I would consider Weight Lifting Squats. If you wear weight lifting shoes you can generally get much lower without sacrificing proper mechanics so this would be ideal IMO but I want my clients/athletes to go as low as they can without breaking form, and they should constantly be working towards improving that form and if necessary the depth. IMO a FULL Squat must have the hips pass below the knee. But that doesn't mean everyone has the strength or flexibility to do this right off. One of the best places to check out squats
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

How many burpees can you do?

That depends if someone is patting him on the back or not.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Depends on your Goals really although IMO anything High intensity needs to be rotated somehow. Can you be more specific?

There are plenty of calorie dense foods you can use if energy and satiation are your only concern. I like natural peanut butter, almonds etc, I love Apples, Oranges, Sweet Potatoes, You can do simple carbs immediately after workouts with some protein.Of course, if you are trying to lose weight it's a different story.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

How come I can't lose weight?

I've drastically cut back fast food, eliminated soda, started eating more turkey, reduced the amount that I eat, walk at least 1.5 miles every night and work out with weights at least 3 times per week. I recently discovered that in the 90 days between Dr's visits I have gained 2 pounds.

Could be a massive tumor growing in between your organs.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Front Squat vs Back Squat.  Which do you prefer and why?

I love them both like they were my children  The Front, Back, and Overhead Squat as well as the Deadlift are the "Bread and Butter" of Functional Movement, and IMO anyone who is serious about exercise will get professional instruction in these lifts.

Do you teach squat as ass to grass, or thighs parallel to the floor?  And why?

I follow what I would consider Weight Lifting Squats. If you wear weight lifting shoes you can generally get much lower without sacrificing proper mechanics so this would be ideal IMO but I want my clients/athletes to go as low as they can without breaking form, and they should constantly be working towards improving that form and if necessary the depth. IMO a FULL Squat must have the hips pass below the knee. But that doesn't mean everyone has the strength or flexibility to do this right off. One of the best places to check out squats

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

aahh hmmmm *cough

Crap!  I work out at least 5 days a week, there is no way I would pay anyone that much a session.

Generally I would not pay a trainer 5 X per week. Look at it like taking music/tennis/shooting lessons. You should get a program and have "homework" to do.  Some programs like Crossfit have "coaches" and you pay a monthly fee and they are always there with you. It's really what works best for you.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top