Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell her that if she keeps dangling her participles, you are going to lick them, then turn her in to the authorities.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#2]
ok today she was talking about how John Kerry would be a better president because he actually went to war. I said what does that have to do with running the country? She said Well you would be less likely to go off to war for no reason like Iraq. I said we went to Iraq for a rason. She said Lets talk about something else.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#3]
she doesn't have a leg to stand on, thats why she changed the subject
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
    Every day at school my english teacher says how Kerry is good for the country. She says Bush is a liar and he is bad for the country. She says the war is wrong and Bush killed all of the soldiers over in Iraq. I tried to just deal with it but it its really getting annoying. heres    

Thanks
       FOX-

She is right.

Learn your studies and go forth in the world .
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I work in the field of education.  Write a not, but the best thing to do is have your parent or guardian call or write a letter to the Administration.  Start with the Principal and next to the superintendent.  

I agree with this.  A kid arguing with a teacher in 8th grade is just a smart-assed kid, no matter who is right or wrong, and nobody is going to care.

BUT a parent complaining to a school board that an english teacher is bringing her unrelated PERSONAL politics into the classroom and trying to shove it down impressionable kids' throats - THAT is something that people will care about.

Problem is, once you start saying stuff like "my principal is a fag" you start to lend credence to the "smart-assed kid" theory, and undermine any legitimate argument you have.

Ask your folks to step up to the plate, because unless she's teaching a class in politics, or political science or somehting, HER PERSONAL POLITICS have no place in the classroom.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Tell her to STFU and teach English.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this your teacher?

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Just ask her if she is trying to show the disadvantages of women's sufferage. And if so, that you are offended that she could have such little faith in women. " Sure some may actually think silly things like that, but many are level headed individuals." "Just because some people are dim enough to think that there is no link between Iraq and terrorism, does not meen that none of them should be allowed to vote."
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Seriously, it is probably best to just concentrate on doing good in the class and moving on. You will not likely change her mind, and you do not need her pissed off at you when grading papers. Since English is not like math where 2+2=4 she may view you with a little more scrutiny that the other kids and you end up with lower grades because she does not like the way that you worded something.

A valuable lesson can be learned from her. That would be -- Choose your battles. As long as your grades are influenced by her arguing with her will not help you even if you are 100% right.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ask her what relevance stating those things has to teaching English.

Then, when she begins to teach, ask her questions about geology.

^I'm with this guy.  I'd start asking questions about math or science to see what the teachers' reaction would be to.  

Besides that, understand that what your teacher is doing is displaying their personal opinion.  Anyone that presents their opinions as facts aren't to be taken too seriously, most of it's going to sound like bullshit... and probably is.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Seriously, it is probably best to just concentrate on doing good in the class and moving on. You will not likely change her mind, and you do not need her pissed off at you when grading papers. Since English is not like math where 2+2=4 she may view you with a little more scrutiny that the other kids and you end up with lower grades because she does not like the way that you worded something.

A valuable lesson can be learned from her. That would be -- Choose your battles. As long as your grades are influenced by her arguing with her will not help you even if you are 100% right.

ktm500

I disagree - there's no reason to accept grossly inapporpriate behavior by a teacher liek this - but the WAY to do it through the parents formally complaining to the school board and principal, not by the student confronting the teacher in class. (so I think we agree that continuing to confront her caould be bad)
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#13]
When I was a kid this teacher would have recieved alot of indirect retaliation. Egg their house, break-in to their classroom and screw it up(Bush stickers on everything). Spray paint really nasty stuff about them on the walls.  

We used to steal every election sign we didn't like from the houses in about a 10 block radius every election season. Never got caught never got in trouble, not that people didn't try.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
When I was a kid this teacher would have recieved alot of indirect retaliation. Egg their house, break-in to their classroom and screw it up(Bush stickers on everything). Spray paint really nasty stuff about them on the walls.  

We used to steal every election sign we didn't like from the houses in about a 10 block radius every election season. Never got caught never got in trouble, not that people didn't try.

Personally I think that's bullshit and immature - and only reinforces the negative image that students SHOULD be treated like children because they don't know how to behave like responsible adults.

If her behavior is a real problem, it should be SOLVED - and "indirect retaliation" like petty vandalism doesn't do anything but illustate lack of maturity.

... just my opinion.  Worth what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Tell this bitch to stick to english, and keep politics in the history classes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
1. I'm making an 100 in her class.
2.not old enough to vote.

1. Doesn't matter if you're making 100, 80, or 65.  Somebody like this will retaliate with grades.  You could see that 100 drop.

2. If you're not old enough to vote that is ok.  Usually we don't hear of teachers doing this in the 8th grade (just in High School & College).  I had though you were older (my mistake).

My advice still stands - this is a good real world learning experience.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't think he can vote as a 14 year old

You can if you live in CA, NY, or Chicago and register as a Democrat

Seriously.  Guys there isn't much they can do to this teacher - she's tenured if she's only 3 years from retirement.  But the Teacher can retaliate, and if the kid is moved to another class he can still be 'retaliated on' if the new teacher is a friend or sympathetic to the first teacher.

Choose your battles - this one isn't winnable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
    Every day at school my english teacher says how Kerry is good for the country. She says Bush is a liar and he is bad for the country. She says the war is wrong and Bush killed all of the soldiers over in Iraq. I tried to just deal with it but it its really getting annoying.
          So, heres the deal. I need some knowledge so I can call on her BS. So what do you have.

Thanks
       FOX-

Hello Fox, I  as a 15 y/o know what its like to be in your position (differnet subject). I was in the exact same place you were when I was in 8th grade. I solved the problem by writing a letter to the editor in the local newspaper. It got some good reactions and you really feel good about yourself when you do something like this. Oh and if you want to see my article go Here
Its really not a good idea to call your principle a fag not a good term to use around here. I also second the idea about the protest warrior thing, I am planning on doing that also.

Good luck
Justin
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
    Every day at school my english teacher says how Kerry is good for the country. She says Bush is a liar and he is bad for the country. She says the war is wrong and Bush killed all of the soldiers over in Iraq. I tried to just deal with it but it its really getting annoying.
          So, heres the deal. I need some knowledge so I can call on her BS. So what do you have.

Thanks
       FOX-

She is right.

I certainly hope you are being facetious, but judging by your other post, you are not.  Unfortunate, but I guess you're entitled to your opinion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#20]

In college I once had a French Communist WWII refugee as a teacher. She was an old Vietnam era anti-war protester too. She never said a word against the President or the government in class. She was class and professional, something lacking in the school system today.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#21]
What the hell does your English teacher know about politics? Perhaps the next time you get some sterling silver advice from this cogniscenti you need to suggest that your teacher run for office or teach political science where that person can do some real good, since he/she seems to know enough about politics to take time out of English to preach about them which suggests that either
a) teach doesn't know squat about English or
b) teach thinks English is not important enough to be given its due

...neither of which are all that shocking from a Kerry supporter.

eta: With a handful of exceptions, teachers were the biggest obstacle in my life until I went to College and then Grad school. Grade school teachers are the absolute pits in my experience and IMHO their prime joy in life is exercising the pathetic amount of authority that they have. I took my greatest joy in flouting their authority and then succeeding despite concerted efforts to deep-six my education from the start. I may have also hindered myself, however, in flouting their authority but in retrospect, I'm not the least bit sad that I did since acceding to authority has largely meant trashing all of my principles. Good luck and remember, 10 years after grade school nobody will ever remember how many saturday and sunday detentions you served. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks
       FOX-

She is right.

Are you saying you agree with her?
Are you a democrap?
If so I don't think it would be a good thing to be saying such on a board like this...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks
       FOX-

Hello Fox, I  as a 15 y/o know what its like to be in your position (differnet subject). I was in the exact same place you were when I was in 8th grade. I solved the problem by writing a letter to the editor in the local newspaper. It got some good reactions and you really feel good about yourself when you do something like this. Oh and if you want to see my article go Here
Its really not a good idea to call your principle a fag not a good term to use around here. I also second the idea about the protest warrior thing, I am planning on doing that also.

Good luck
Justin

Whoa, just read the artical. Thats messed up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
ok today she was talking about how John Kerry would be a better president because he actually went to war. I said what does that have to do with running the country? She said Well you would be less likely to go off to war for no reason like Iraq. I said we went to Iraq for a rason. She said Lets talk about something else.

Oh I couldn't post some stuff.

I was in her class when I was writting that post. She also denies all of the negitive info on Kerry. She says there all lies. She was also talking about a Democrat that was speeking at the Republican convetion and how no one should ever turn on their party...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was in her class when I was writting that post. She also denies all of the negitive info on Kerry. She says there all lies. She was also talking about a Democrat that was speeking at the Republican convetion and how no one should ever turn on their party...

Your on ARFCOM at school?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this your teacher?

www.existentialbitchslap.org/images/kenny/hotteacher.jpg

that was one lucky kid
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok to every one telling me to go to the pricipal, SI, etc. Like I said before the principal walked in and listened to the whole thing. The pricipal doesn't like me to start with. I had my mom call in and have a "talk" with him. We tried on other ocasions to call the SI. He said you'll have to talk to the pricipal about that. And the pricipal did nothing. Like I said before the school system is F'ed up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your on ARFCOM at school?

JOBRELATEDSTUFF.COM
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Ok to every one telling me to go to the pricipal, SI, etc. Like I said before the principal walked in and listened to the whole thing. The pricipal doesn't like me to start with. I had my mom call in and have a "talk" with him. We tried on other ocasions to call the SI. He said you'll have to talk to the pricipal about that. And the pricipal did nothing. Like I said before the school system is F'ed up.

Send it to the news, newspaper, ect. and tell them that you are not getting a good understanding of the subject because the teacher isn't teaching it and no one will do anything about it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#30]
doesnt matter if you are a demo or reppub
tell her that kerry is a man who can NOT make up his damn mind!!!; he's an Indian trader.... an indecisive "leader" is worse than any terrorist
besides, kerry is too liberal

last time I remembered, those good soldiers were killed by IRAQI insurgents, etc--not Bush

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#31]
You do not need to, and probably should not, counter her arguments.  Discuss this with your parents (preferably).  Have them (if not possible, do it yourself in a quiet, respectful way) tell her to keep her own political dogma and lies to herself and OUT of the ENGLISH class room.  If she has any trouble with that, have her take it up with the principal and your parents.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Have your folks set up a meeting, and demand to speak to him in person - a parent who is pissed enought to take the time to come down to the school is a lot more credible than a phone call.  If he still doesn't discipline the teacher and make her stop, have them contact the school board.  Is this a public school?  If it is, I find it extremely inappropriate - and I'm sure schools have been sued for less.  I thinkg school boards nowadays are very scared of the word "lawsuit" coming out of th emouth of an irate parent.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Tell her to STFU and keep the editorials to herself.  Then tell her to teach some english like she is being paid to do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Next pro kerry comment do this:

Call her a hippie loving dyke, then push the computer off of your desk, jump on top, and explain in the loudest, meanest voice, that it is people like her that are too brainwashed by CNN, that they don't know the difference between wrong and right.

When you are kicked out of school, continue to return and raise lots of hell.

If you get kicked out of your house, come live with me.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks
       FOX-

She is right.

Luckily for you this board won't ban you for dissenting, but go home to DU.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not tell her you really need some of her expert help with english but your comfortable with your own political opinions right now.  However, if she would like to debate political issues tell her that would be wonderful.

Then set a date for that debate but it make sure it's after you're old enough to vote.

My age - 13
voting age - 18
Age of election year - 24
She is retiring in - 3

in eleven years she will be long gone

Yep  That's why I said make sure she recognizes you're willing, just not old enough for her rant to make a difference.  Don't worry about "brain washing" since there's nothing you can (or should) do to protect weak minded people.  Just politely hold your ground and say how much you would enjoy the opportunity and then do what she would expect - tell her it's not fair for her to engage you on this topic until you're older but English is a good topic for students your age.  I can see how you would be willing to respond now and might even make some really good points but that won't make any difference to someone like her.  Try to keep reminding her about how interested you are in English and how little politics means to you right now.  Shame her into doing her job but do it an a very polite and professional manner.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Do your parents share your view or your teachers?
Just read the rest of the thread..

A pissed off parent carries more weight than a pissed off student..

Tell her she needs to stick to teaching english.

C.g.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Like I said before I don't want to take this to a higher athority yet...

I just need some knowledge to combat her pro Kerry BS.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Call her a hippie loving dyke, then push the computer off of your desk, jump on top, and explain in the loudest, meanest voice, that it is people like her that are too brainwashed by CNN, that they don't know the difference between wrong and right.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#40]
other people have recommended protest warrior; it will give you a blueprint for action if you choose...

hq.protestwarrior.com/?page=/featured/PHS/PHS.php
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Deal with it.  There are stupid people in this world - some of them will be your boss at one point.  Learn to deal with it - get the Teacher pi$$ed off at you and it will show up in their grading.

Anyone stupid enough to talk personal politics in front of their class - especially an English class has some major phsycological issues.  Attacks on their 'position' will be taken personally and there will be personal retaliation.

This person is being highly unprofessional - don't bait the grader.

Be an adult and suck it up - and Vote BUSH come November - winning is the ultimate payback.

1. I'm making an A 100 in her class.
2.not old enough to vote.

Jeeze...the Kid's not shitting,look at that grammar!!..(J/K) Tell her to go join the Communist party and STFU!!!Callo your local REPUBLICAN reps and tell them the story...tell them you are being singled out because of your belief in freedom,democracy and the truth that Kerry HUMS Bo-Bo !!

edited for spelling!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

don't bother

You must not have read my post. You will not win because she is the authority and you are not, do you understand? If you thought you were being wrongly arrested, would you fight with the police officer? If you fought with the police officer, do you think he would call for backup? Do you think back up would come? Would the officer and his buddies beat you to a pulp? Would the judge believe you or the officer in court? You might come out with your principles in tact but nothing else.

Ditto with your teacher. Assuming that you are a top-notch debater, have a better command of the facts than the teacher and are 100% correct do you think the teahcer will admit error? Do you think your teacher will admit it to the whole class? Do you think she will let it get that far or will she simply cut you off again? If you were given a detention for acting out in class by speaking off the subject would the principal side with you or the teacher? Who would the school board side with? Do you see where I'm going with this?

Don't have any illusions about changing someone else's mind, particularly your teacher's. Imagine for a moment the ego blow a teacher suffers when argued into the dirt by a student, a child! Just forget about it. Either be yourself on principle and bend to no one or play it safe and keep your head down so nobody comes along and takes it off.

I recommend you take full advantage of your youth and be yourself cause it gets a hell of a lot tougher to stand on principle when you're trying to feed yourself.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Letter to the editor of the local newspaper.  I'd also call up the commander of the local Legion or VFW post.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't bother

You must not have read my post. You will not win because she is the authority and you are not, do you understand? If you thought you were being wrongly arrested, would you fight with the police officer? If you fought with the police officer, do you think he would call for backup? Do you think back up would come? Would the officer and his buddies beat you to a pulp? Would the judge believe you or the officer in court? You might come out with your principles in tact but nothing else.

Ditto with your teacher. Assuming that you are a top-notch debater, have a better command of the facts than the teacher and are 100% correct do you think the teahcer will admit error? Do you think your teacher will admit it to the whole class? Do you think she will let it get that far or will she simply cut you off again? If you were given a detention for acting out in class by speaking off the subject would the principal side with you or the teacher? Who would the school board side with? Do you see where I'm going with this? I don't want her to admit it to the whole class. I would be happy if I can just get her to STFU and keep her politics to her self. As long as she knows in her head that I will syand up for what I beleive in. And so I can rub it in after Bush is re-elected. And she can't give me dentention because she would get in trouble for talking politics in class. I'm not worried about my grades. I don't think she will be harder on me, it was just the other day when she said I was her favorite student.

Don't have any illusions about changing someone else's mind, particularly your teacher's. Imagine for a moment the ego blow a teacher suffers when argued into the dirt by a student, a child! Just forget about it. Either be yourself on principle and bend to no one or play it safe and keep your head down so nobody comes along and takes it off. I don't want to call her out I just want to coment on her BS and go from there.

I recommend you take full advantage of your youth and be yourself cause it gets a hell of a lot tougher to stand on principle when you're trying to feed yourself.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Ask her what good John Kerry did for the country meeting with representatives of the Communist North Vietnamese government in Paris without US government sanction.

Ask her what good he did the POW's who were accused by the NV with the "atrocities" "revealed" in Kerry's senate testimony.

Ask her what pieces of legislation Kerry has actually authored or been the inital sponsor of during his tenure in the US senate.

Ask her if she's getting paid for her political advertising.

Ask her if you can have equal time for Bush... or to have a prayer session (muslim, christian, jewish, hindu), since both are equally apropo in an educational
setting.

Wear a BUSH/CHENEY T-shirt, or a bumper sticker attached to your shirt. Make her document her asking you to remove it, and your opposition to her politicizing the classroom. If you get disciplined, go to the board... and the local news, and O'Rielly, and the RNC with details.

BTW, don't give up faith. I got my chair pulled out from under me in 5th grade after I challenged the idea of JFK as a demigod to the face of my ultra-dem teacher.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Ask her to explain pattern 8. That will get her mind off of the pro - Kerry stuff.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:06:47 AM EDT
[#47]
if your in a public school, and you tell her to go to hell, not much will happen. just have your facts straight, lambast her, dont make any threats or drop the f-bomb, then tell the principal you dont like being brain washed. THEN CALL THE LOCAL NEWS MEDIA AND TELL THEM:the teacher said your political beliefs were WRONG, and you got thrown out of class for thinking different. then call a lawyer. start young. by the time your 18 your gonna need the experience.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I pushed my comp at work down and my boss got pissed and fired me.   The kids won't stop laughing at me.  My wife gave me the boot.   I'm on my way, what's your address?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:45:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tell her if she thinks we should be sympathetic to terrorists and dictators.  if she says yes tell her to go to hell, if she says no then tell her thats exactly what bush is doing, retaliation for 9/11

She says that Iraq has nothing to do with 9/11 (looks for pics of 9/11 in Iraq)

Iraq had more to do with 9/11 than Germany had to do with Pearl Harbor.

What the fuck is her point?

Our intent in going into Iraq was NOT to go after the perpetrators of 9/11 (we were - still ARE - doing that elsewhere) but as part of a strategy to prevent the next one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:57:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Okay here is my .02 worth. My son had a teacher who would spout how great communism was, etc, etc. would not show the down side to communism,my son at every turn would debate her. It got to the point we were going to go to the school board. Principle, and super,could have cared less. School committee has a little more punch. She was fired needless to say at the end of the year. Just make sure you cc both the principle and the super, as you go above their heads and point at that they did nothing. Politics does not belong in the classroom. I wish you luck, and see if you can get more parents involved too,you might be surprised at how many would back you, and they just need a little push.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top