Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Considering what the vast majority of the military use a handgun for you really aren't all that crazy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you might think im a dumbass for suggesting this but.

i think the ideal handgun for the general military would be a ruger p95 with a decocker.  you can say what you want, but.

1. it would be 100% reliable.
2. be rugged as fuck.. about indestructable
3. be cheap as hell. ) prob $200-$300 each)

special forces might need something more special... but for everyone else i dont see the downside.

Considering what the vast majority of the military use a handgun for you really aren't all that crazy.

Sits in a holster just fine... check.

I'll say this much about the M9/92 though, they're sweet shooters. Which makes shooting them once every six months that much nicer.

I love my own M9 and will be kicking doors down for an M9A3.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They could have easily made the slide mounted safety/decocker just a decocker. I don't think the m9 is the best option but not to evaluate it is just stupid.
View Quote

Sounds like it was an "unsolicited proposal".  

Army is under no obligation to evaluate them.

Especially when the Rfp hadn't been posted yet.

How to propose your pistol and Army's needs will be spelled out in L&M of the RFP.

Beretta was just trying to prevent it from being solicited in the first place, because they have an IDIQ contract with room to order 80k more pistols at Army's discretion.

Sounds like the Army isn't going to be doing more orders on the IDIQ.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
IT does seem tho the armys biggest complaint is the slide mounted safety which beretta DIDN'T address so maybe we will see another revision with a frame mounted safety which would be very
View Quote

Oh, shit!!!  Here we go a-gain!

"If you understood how the Beretta works and how it's supposed to be used you would know that it's NOT a safety...it's just a decocker and it's just as safe to carry with the safety, er, ah, decocker off as any other weapon."  Paraphrased from one of the recent Beretta versus anything else threads.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's because big Army passes M9s around to different people and it gets treated like a drunk stripper in the barracks. Then after a few years you get a beat to hell pos pistol that desperately needs to be rebuilt or replaced, but since the commander and his staff get pencil whipped at the range, nobody cares enough to do it. Frankly, IMO, the way the Army handles pistol issue and operator/armorer maintaince is criminal.

Whatever your flavor of choice, glock, S&W, etc; if they are constantly mistreated and abused by the Army like the M9 is, you're going to end up with racks of fucked up pistols that barely shoot straight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is nothing wrong the current Beretta

big army says you're wrong. Although I do think this will turn into a big dog and pony show of bids and they will stick with the beretta in the end due to "budget concerns" like the last 3 times it was up for re consideration.

That's because big Army passes M9s around to different people and it gets treated like a drunk stripper in the barracks. Then after a few years you get a beat to hell pos pistol that desperately needs to be rebuilt or replaced, but since the commander and his staff get pencil whipped at the range, nobody cares enough to do it. Frankly, IMO, the way the Army handles pistol issue and operator/armorer maintaince is criminal.

Whatever your flavor of choice, glock, S&W, etc; if they are constantly mistreated and abused by the Army like the M9 is, you're going to end up with racks of fucked up pistols that barely shoot straight.

Yepppp. And then they wonder why their M9 sucks.

It's the same reason the M16, 249, M2 and MK19 are generally hated.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bullshit there isn't.

The safety is in a retarded position. We had to leave out pistol chambers empty when outside the wire because they would routinely get moved from safe to fire through the normal duties of helicopter crewmembers.

Whats the fucking point of a safety if you don't know what position it will be in when you reach for it in a need?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought it allowed for decipher only.

Bullshit there isn't.

The safety is in a retarded position. We had to leave out pistol chambers empty when outside the wire because they would routinely get moved from safe to fire through the normal duties of helicopter crewmembers.

Whats the fucking point of a safety if you don't know what position it will be in when you reach for it in a need?

Why empty?

It's a DA/SA. In a holster it's perfectly fine to leave it on fire. I was trained by an instructor here to do so, in fact.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That would honestly (aside from size) address most of my issues with the M9. If it's got to have a safety, let it be frame mounted and not slide! edit Oh, and no decocker unless it's a separate lever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IT does seem tho the armys biggest complaint is the slide mounted safety which beretta DIDN'T address so maybe we will see another revision with a frame mounted safety which would be very

That would honestly (aside from size) address most of my issues with the M9. If it's got to have a safety, let it be frame mounted and not slide! edit Oh, and no decocker unless it's a separate lever.

The design could easily be configured for a frame mounted safety/ decocker, like the Taurus uses. It's fairly simple to use, could be put on safe while still cocked.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sweeping the safety on the M9 as part of the draw has always been easy as hell to me. Maybe because I only really shoot glocks otherwise, I dunno. I've just never understood the bitching about it.

Not as issued, but one thing they mentioned was that it was "readily convertible" to G model by an armorer. I assume that's their speak for "would take an arfcommer ten minutes".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why does everyone hate the slide mounted safety?? I barely notice it.

Because we have opposable thumbs that only really bend in one direction...

Sweeping the safety on the M9 as part of the draw has always been easy as hell to me. Maybe because I only really shoot glocks otherwise, I dunno. I've just never understood the bitching about it.

Quoted:
I think the M9A3 is a decock only.

Not as issued, but one thing they mentioned was that it was "readily convertible" to G model by an armorer. I assume that's their speak for "would take an arfcommer ten minutes".

This.

If you struggle with the safety on the M9, you have no business handling firearms.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'll say this much about the M9/92 though, they're sweet shooters. Which makes shooting them once every six months that much nicer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i think the ideal handgun for the general military would be a ruger p95 with a decocker.  you can say what you want, but.

special forces might need something more special... but for everyone else i dont see the downside.

I am on the waiting list for a Wilson Combat 92G Brigadier.  I already have a pieced together Vertec with a FDE frame and a black Brigadier slide or I would probably be wanting an A3 as well.  

I have quite a bit of time behind a Beretta over the years and am very comfortable with just about any variant of the 92/96 series.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good.  Too many parts to do the same job a gun with lesser parts could do.
View Quote

This.  The Beretta's frame is way too large for the caliber and role.  The number of moving parts and the inability of the organization to provide the level of training just to clean it is reason enough to can that pistol.

The controls are counter-intuitive for entry-level soldiers and officers, who will receive ZERO quality pistol instruction, and I mean ZERO.

The only reason that pistol was adopted had nothing to do with its features.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

i think the ideal handgun for the general military would be a ruger p95 with a decocker.  it might be a bulky handgun... but thats not a issue when its carried on a web belt..you can say what you want, but.

4. american made

special forces might need something more special... but for everyone else i dont see the downside. and it would save a fuck load of money. probably be at least 1/3 the price of anything else they choose from.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/34zj21g_zpsb5d03788.jpg
View Quote

lol

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They should take a look at Taurus then.  The PT92 gets good reviews here just like the Colt Rail Gun.

View Quote

I found a used one at a local gs for 220 I cant decide to grab it or not.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How to propose your pistol and Army's needs will be spelled out in L&M of the RFP.

Beretta was just trying to prevent it from being solicited in the first place, because they have an IDIQ contract with room to order 80k more pistols at Army's discretion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They could have easily made the slide mounted safety/decocker just a decocker. I don't think the m9 is the best option but not to evaluate it is just stupid.

Just the fact that there is a pending RFP, makes any related unsolicited proposals invalid.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why empty?

It's a DA/SA. In a holster it's perfectly fine to leave it on fire. I was trained by an instructor here to do so, in fact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought it allowed for decipher only.

Bullshit there isn't.

Why empty?

They also had a nasty habit of cocking themselves in the course of duties (sling load ops for one). Getting off the floor of a helicopter after a sling load and seeing your chest mounted pistol is cocked and off safe is not a good feeling.

My civy cary gun is a XDS, and I feel safe with a no safety/striker fired weapon for rough work.

I just think the M9 is a much too heavy, ergonomically retarded weapon.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#14]
M1911A1 FTW!!

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hopes they choose a 10mm.  
View Quote

Most soldiers can't shoot 9mm well let alone 45 ACP (which is why I sort of wish the Army would just adopt the M45 but ultimately that would be a bad thing for the Army overall).

10mm would be a whole 'nother thing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This.  The Beretta's frame is way too large for the caliber and role.  The number of moving parts and the inability of the organization to provide the level of training just to clean it is reason enough to can that pistol.

The controls are counter-intuitive for entry-level soldiers and officers, who will receive ZERO quality pistol instruction, and I mean ZERO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.  Too many parts to do the same job a gun with lesser parts could do.

This man speaks truth.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
M1911A1 FTW!!

View Quote

Oh  no he din'nt
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Deagle 50 would be bad ass for the US Army
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

There will not be a new general issue pistol for decades.  This is just another circle jerk for some retard to use as a bullet point for his/her next promotion.
View Quote
Counterpoint:

I predict   wider issue of  SIG  M11-A1

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.

If you struggle with the safety on the M9, you have no business handling firearms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I guess that's always been my take on it.  Sure there are better pistols out there but the m9 is fine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does anyone actually prefer a slide mounted safety to a frame safety?

Seriously.

ETA: some people don't mind it, but do they actually PREFER it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Guarantee that whatever is selected will have to have SECOND STRIKE capability.
The chances of an out-of-battery light-strike when you are duking it out hand-to-hand with some turd are significant.
Much to be said for only having to stroke the trigger again to regain the initiative.

No single-action or striker-fired guns will be selected.

Beretta's design is still in it.

Glock (and many, many others) slightly out-of-battery will allow the striker or hammer to fall, and produce only this result.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Browning Hi-Power.

Because reasons.
View Quote

The British Army issued the BHP for decades, and I love the BHP as much as the next guy, but they have recently replaced their BHPs with Glock 17s. For a .mil sidearm their decision was a good one.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They had to reject it since Beretta rejected a gun control shithole next to the seat of power, and decided to relocate to the "patron State of shootin' stuff".

I was thinking the same thing

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Guarantee that whatever is selected will have to have SECOND STRIKE capability.
The chances of an out-of-battery light-strike when you are duking it out hand-to-hand with some turd are significant.
Much to be said for only having to stroke the trigger again to regain the initiative.

No single-action or striker-fired guns will be selected.

Beretta's design is still in it.

Glock (and many, many others) slightly out-of-battery will allow the striker or hammer to fall, and produce only this result.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/ammunition/deesduds_zps39baff85.jpg
View Quote

Negative.  The Army is not preparing its soldiers for combat with some turdbag in a police car.  They aren't even conducting formal pistol training for the majority of people that carry sidearms, and probably never will, because it doesn't matter in the long run.

Also, Glocks and every other striker-fired handgun don't have hammers, which is a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They should at least evaluate it.
View Quote

Do you know how much a full evaluation costs?  With the limitations and weight of the weapon system, and knowing how many better options are out there, I (as a taxpayer) am glad they were able to move past this money waisting step and go straight to open evaluation of the entire field.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#27]
OK let's be real. Having shot thousands and thousands of rounds though tons of various sidearms I will say without a doubt that the m9/92 is by far the nicest feeling and shooting handgun I could wish for. Its heavy, steel frame feels mechanical. The sights are really nice. If kept clean it is really really reliable. In fact, I've never even seen one jam. Ever. 2" groups at 60 feet all day out of that 4.9" barrel. You could beat someone to death with it if you ran out of ammo and you can get 17 round mags. If you wanna get rid of that for some polymer framed shitty triggered glock or s&w have fun with that. The only reason why Signs and H&K cost so much is the name. I still prefer my Berretta over any sidearm aside from maybe a USP.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

i think the ideal handgun for the general military would be a ruger p95 with a decocker.  it might be a bulky handgun... but thats not a issue when its carried on a web belt..you can say what you want, but.

4. american made

special forces might need something more special... but for everyone else i dont see the downside. and it would save a fuck load of money. probably be at least 1/3 the price of anything else they choose from.

View Quote

Okay, whoa, let's not get crazy here...!
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Good.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The design could easily be configured for a frame mounted safety/ decocker, like the Taurus uses. It's fairly simple to use, could be put on safe while still cocked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want the combo safety/decocker though. I shoot 1911 style - downward pressure on the thumb safety. On a frame decocker/safety (like HK and FNuse) his causes a trigger pull in the dozens of pound range due to me constantly decocking it while pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should take a look at Taurus then.  The PT92 gets good reviews here just like the Colt Rail Gun.

Don't.  Taurus makes junk.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I wonder why they wouldn't even consider it- sounds like they already have their minds made up about something.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Seriously.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

Me.

In fact, both of my pistols that have safetys are slide mounted.

I also sold my USP .45F to buy a 92FS.

ETA: Engaging the safety is part of my draw. It's easier with the slide mount as I just naturally hit it during the draw. It's a bit easier than the frame mounted and pushing down. One just basically happens, one required a real action.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you concerned about having the pistol off-safe, or not knowing what position the safety is in when you need the gun?

With the gun on "fire" it is a safe to carry as any DAO pistol; and if you practice flicking the safety off on your draw then it doesn't matter whether it was on fire or not to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Another point, the whole reliability thing concerning glocks etc is a moot point. The Berretta is a really nice firearm and plenty reliable if clean. Are you going to fire 600 rounds through your pistol in a single sitting in combat?! If so you are dead. Should have had a rifle. At most a few mags would be used. This is just some money grab. All it is.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#36]
5 reasons the Beretta M9A3 will be the next service pistol
I'm not advancing this narrative, just sharing for information reasons.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Ruger rushed the P-85 for the trials Beretta won. After the broken slides(Beretta), Ruger took a brand new pistol.

1. Cut out the ejection port side of the frame, fired 5000 rounds with the right side of the slide MISSING.
2. New slide, cut out the LEFT side of the slide. 5000 rounds fired.
3. Tapped the end of the barrel, screwed a bolt into it. BANG!. New barrel, I think the ejector, could've been the extractor, and 5000 rounds fired. They wanted to unscrew the bolt and run the rounds through the barrel, but someone said that was to risky.

Early P-90s(.45 single stack)were first built with BarSto Barrels. Reported to be very accurate. Mine is.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There will not be a new general issue pistol for decades.  This is just another circle jerk for some retard to use as a bullet point for his/her next promotion.
View Quote

Yep,

"Current plans call for the Army to purchase more than 280,000 handguns from a single vendor, with delivery of the first new handgun systems scheduled for 2017"

So, allowing for usual government efficiency, 2030, give or take.

One of my favorite comments on this sort of thing is:

"Shortly after the end of World War I, the U.S. Ordnance Corps began looking for a smaller cartridge to replace the 30-06 Springfield. With typical government efficiency, the quest was still being pursued toward the end of the Second World War."

This is from the Sierra Bullets reloading manual and website.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OK let's be real. Having shot thousands and thousands of rounds though tons of various sidearms I will say without a doubt that the m9/92 is by far the nicest feeling and shooting handgun I could wish for. Its heavy, steel frame feels mechanical. The sights are really nice. If kept clean it is really really reliable. In fact, I've never even seen one jam. Ever. 2" groups at 60 feet all day out of that 4.9" barrel. You could beat someone to death with it if you ran out of ammo and you can get 17 round mags. If you wanna get rid of that for some polymer framed shitty triggered glock or s&w have fun with that. The only reason why Signs and H&K cost so much is the name. I still prefer my Berretta over any sidearm aside from maybe a USP.
View Quote

Here it is folks; a guy who shoots some guns sometimes has told us how it is.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really isn't.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taurus makes a lot of junk, but the PT-92/99 is not amongst it.
Those pistols are good to go.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right such an expert...that doesn't even know what the frame made out of....hint...its NOT steel.

also MOST issue m9 still have "combat sights " on them which fucking SUCK ASS and are far inferior to even the 3 dot sight system on the new ones.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you carry the M9 in a holster which doesn't have a flap then you will find it off safe more frequently than on, it catches on things and switches over.  If you keep your fingers where they should be it isn't really an issue . . . but.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It really isn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really isn't.

Can't get more rugged than one of those pistols. American made by an American company.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

You should not be fucking with the safety on a DA/SA pistol, period.

- Live round in pipe
- Decock on safe
- Holster
- Push safety to fire
- Draw gun, pull trigger, bang

Of course the Army is too retarded to allow soldiers to carry guns the way they were designed to be carried, so...
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

In other words Taurus ..

honestly the Taurus copy is better in every way
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

4. american made

View Quote

I think that was the one that passed all the technical tests that brought us the m9 best honestly
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You're right such an expert...that doesn't even know what the frame made out of....hint...its NOT steel.

also MOST issue m9 still have "combat sights " on them which fucking SUCK ASS and are far inferior to even the 3 dot sight system on the new ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol. Don't let facts get in the way of a good emotional argument!

Back to reality, I don't think we have seen the end of the M9A3's pitch to the military.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top