Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in for the repeal of the law if thats what you are talking bout.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

your next destination...failuresville.

And the "it can't be done attitude" of some is success?

You do things you way, I'll do things mine.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#3]
It’s all how you sell it.

I propose a new Gun Control Law that would ban the manufacture and sale of machineguns unless they are being manufactured and sold to Federally licensed collectors.

See how much more Liberal it sounds wehn you put it like that?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm gonna ask you to leave my thread as you are adding NOTHING of value. You are trolling.Its a CoC violation. Go away.

Grow up.  I am not trolling.

Your poor choice of wording is a primary reason why you should NEVER spearhead an effort on my, or any other machinegun owner's, behalf.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
LOTS of people talk a good game.

We've got another thread going with three to five people all agreeing tis the perfect time to move on this legislatively.

If you are REALLY SERIOUS, post in this thread, and let's get to work.

I'll contact you via IM, we'll get contact info, form our agenda, and get to work.

"Let's Roll."

Not to smart when it comes to writing legal stuff,but, I would definetly put my john hancock on somethin.,$,or write letters,.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It’s all how you sell it.

I propose a new Gun Control Law that would ban the manufacture and sale of machineguns unless they are being manufactured and sold to Federally licensed collectors.

See how much more Liberal it sounds wehn you put it like that?

I like it.

Good idea.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Your poor choice of wording is a primary reason why you should NEVER spearhead an effort on my, or any other machinegun owner's, behalf.

If you actually knew who / what I am and  have accomplished on the firearms freedom agenda.....

You are excused.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Tag.  I'll help if I can.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay.   So, get serious.  

What is the goal?

- get rid of the 1986 ban on new manufacturing of MG's?

- get rid of the 1934 Firearms Act that put MG's in a special category, taxing & licensing?

What are the available methods to accomplish this?

- court challenge -  prove the laws unconstitutional

- legislative action - pass a law modifying or recinding the current rules

- executive action - can the President do a "stroke of the pen, law of the land, kewl" Klintonesque approach?

Analyze each approach for it's viability, cost, time, effort, effect......etc....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm gonna ask you to leave my thread as you are adding NOTHING of value. You are trolling.Its a CoC violation. Go away.

Well said.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
it's simply a case of PRIORITIES.

National CCW is FAR, FAR, FAR more valuable than getting to play with bullet hoses, which will still be expensive to feed.

Constitutionally, getting new MG's based on repeal of an unconstitutional law is a lot more solid than giving federal power to what currently exists as a state power. While CCW is really a personal right, I'm with the crowd that is a bit worried about taking it to the federal level-one step further removed than it already is from the people.
You're right that it is a lot more likely to happen in the real world than NFA changes,however.
Anyone who thinks that all gunowners favor proliferation of Title II weapons hasn't been to their range around the subset of "hunting only" gun owners who still make up a large portion of our numbers. Not to mention the elitist gun owners who think along the line of: "guns are ok for me, but not for you yokels". Those big broad gunowner numbers that the NRA puts out aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#12]
REPEAL THE HUGHES AMENDMENT!

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you think you can get a veto overriding majority of both the House and Senate to pass a repeal of the 86 mg law?

The President stands a good chance of promising to veto something like that.  He is not exactly a friend of the Second Amendment.

You've already made it clear what / who you are.

Your presence is no longer needed.

You are excused.

And you've made it clear that you only want a bunch of "yes" men to help you out.  You can't stand criticism or any dose of reality intruding on your dream world.  Anyone who points out flaws in what you propose is called names and told to leave.

Yeah, its a good thing you only want a small group.  Thats liable to be all you get.

I was going to offer to make phone calls and write a few letters to any senators you reccomended as good candidates to inquire about this, but your attitude screams "Prima Donna."  

If you treat any legislators like you do the other members of this board, I'd rather someone else tried to do this.

Then why didn't you make that offer up front, instead of offering useless criticism?

Haul ass. You were trolling.  And now you're backpedaling on it.

I pointed out reasonable concerns and asked if he had any kind of list of pro-mg legislators to help get this going.  I asked if he had a plan.

You should ask hooked on phonics if they give a refund.

eta my shpelling sux.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Didn't Ron Paul introduce a bill to do that last year, along with the sporting purpose clause?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Okay.   So, get serious.  

What is the goal?

- get rid of the 1934 Firearms Act that put MG's in a special category, taxing & licensing?

- executive action - can the President do a "stroke of the pen, law of the land, kewl" Klintonesque approach?

Analyze each approach for it's viability, cost, time, effort, effect......etc....

Excellent.

EXACTLY the type of dicussion / brainstorming we need.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#16]
NO MACHINEGUNS REGISTERED UNDER THE NFA HAD BEEN USED IN A CRIME PRIOR TO MAY 1986.

We have that going for us. The ban was merely anti-gun hysterics.

CRC
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Okay.   So, get serious.  

What is the goal?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I pointed out reasonable concerns and asked if he had any kind of list of pro-mg legislators to help get this going.  I asked if he had a plan.

My "plan" right now is to identify people committed to the task.   First things first.

If yer in, welcome. If yer out, GET OUT OF MY THREAD.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Didn't Ron Paul introduce a bill to do that last year, along with the sporting purpose clause?

No
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you actually knew who / what I am and  have accomplished on the firearms freedom agenda.....

So then why are you trying to get people HERE on your team??  A big bad motherfucker like you should already have political capital the likes of what I can never imagine.

Make it happen and come and tell us about how well you did ON YOUR OWN.

You are excused.

The only place in which you feign to wield power is on an internet thread?

Pathetic.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Okay.   So, get serious.  

What is the goal?

Exactly.  Most viable target, most viable action. We should work our way backward on this one. 86 ban first, then the revision/repeal of the NFA.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
NO MACHINEGUNS REGISTERED UNDER THE NFA HAD BEEN USED IN A CRIME PRIOR TO MAY 1986.

We have that going for us. The ban was merely anti-gun hysterics.

CRC

Not to mention the money that can be raised if it was repealed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#23]
TAG
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What current "machinegun" cases are in lower courts right now that would make a good platform for pushing to SCOTUS?

Are there any?  If there are, you'll need a squeaky clean defendent in that spot so as to demonize the suit.

Otherwise, the court challenge would only be viable if if happened to happen in a suitable timeframe.

I would concentrate solely on legislative means, as the Congressmen are available to us as part of their office.  Read:  Free ear to bend for voting citizens of their states.

A group pursuing this must also tread lightly in regards to NFA taxation.  You do not want to incite an oversight of this process from the wrong persons in Congress.  It could become a frying pan to the fire type effort.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I personally don't want the NFA law to change.  I like that only the elite of society with all their money can legally own fully automatic weapons.  This way only rich people like me will own them and the rest of the common people can envy us.

That's my take on it.

lawdog
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#26]

What is the goal?

- follow the model of assisted suicide - get a State to make them legal, forcing the Feds to reconcile the discrepancy

Method to accomplish this goal:

- use existing 2nd Amendment groups to promote this cause

- work through willing to write/sponsor legislation

Biggest challenges:

- 'selling' the idea that the average Joe should be allowed to own a MG in the first place (most folks think it's illegal)

- finding a 2nd amendment group willing to promote this (GOA prolly would, NRA prolly not)

- finding legislators willing to stand behind this effort

- rallying gun owners behind a cause so many probably would NOT support
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#27]
[sigh]
Again, money talks and is what both parties listen to.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#28]
All we want is a vote on repealing 922(o), right?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What current "machinegun" cases are in lower courts right now that would make a good platform for pushing to SCOTUS?

Are there any?  If there are, you'll need a squeaky clean defendent in that spot so as to demonize the suit.

Otherwise, the court challenge would only be viable if if happened to happen in a suitable timeframe.

I would concentrate solely on legislative means, as the Congressmen are available to us as part of their office.  Read:  Free ear to bend for voting citizens of their states.

We have those police officers that were busted for illegal MG's recently, best case off the top of my head.

I doubt we could get anyone to volunteer to be a test case
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm no activist but would like to contribute a couple of ideas.

Obviously repealing the '86 MG ban is key... The whole thing depends on that.

* What about a one-time, lifetime tax on MGs? You pay a $2000 fee up front total, and you can buy whatever you want. No fees after that. Perhaps there's a background check and a card, like CCW is. Big whoop... But a big moneymaker for the .gov.

* Same for silencers. A one time tax, done, and you can have silenced firearms...

That said, I'd only personally own a MG if they were like a few hundred bucks more than a semi-only gun. Why? It's fun but I've lived this long without one (rented one once, that was a hoot!) and can live without them if I have to.

I like how Thuban put it, too. Make it sound like it's "for the kids". When a Democrat sees how much cash the .gov would be making they'd cream their pants.

In fact perhaps it would be worthwhile to come up with some numbers for the sake of discussion. Yearly, X number of people would likely buy if there was a one-time tax... Which would generate Y amount of revenue for the .gov...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#31]
www.nfaoa.org/

If you want to repeal the machinegun ban post at this site and talk to MicroBalrog.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
A big bad motherfucker like you....

Pathetic.

I agree.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#33]

regardless of whatever everyone else is saying, i'm down. i'll send letters, e-mails, make phone calls, and donate (what money i can) to the cause.

I WANT MY MG'S DAMNIT!!

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Machine guns will NEVER be a big revenue generator for the Government.

Sorry, work the numbers.

Let's use the $2000 license number thrown out above.

$2000 * 100,000 licenses = 2,000,000,000

$2 billion is only a few minutes of spending for the Federal Government.

or using current numbers:

$200 per MG
$200 per suppressor

What's the market?   200,000 for each, maybe?

200,000 * $200 + 200,000 * $200 = $80,000,000

$80 million is NOTHING
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
- follow the model of assisted suicide - get a State to make them legal, forcing the Feds to reconcile the discrepancy

Did the Feds have a law on the books against assisted suicide?  I didn't think there was...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

So then why are you trying to get people HERE on your team??  A big bad motherfucker like you should already have political capital the likes of what I can never imagine.

Make it happen and come and tell us about how well you did ON YOUR OWN.

"My" accomplishemnts have always been a collborative effort.

My goal here is just to weed out the pogues like you. And find those who are part of the solution, or part of the problem

Mission accomplished.

You are excused.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Point me in the right direction.....I'm game

I'll forward this to the Pink Pistol members and mangement as well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Just who is this "Garandman" and what is his claim to fame??  Is he a celebrity?  A deal-maker in Washington??  A gun media mogul??  Who is this illusive and shadowy personna known as the Garandman??

lawdog (The truth will set us free)
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did the Feds have a law on the books against assisted suicide?  I didn't think there was...

They must, since Oregon and similar places get in trouble with the Feds for passing laws.

Medical MJ is another example.

The methods the Gays have used to promote an unpopular cause might be something to look at.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
And find those who are part of the solution, or part of the problem

You're part of the problem.  That is pretty obvious.

Uniting a group would be far easier with a non-asshole at the helm of the ship.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Is this a joke?

Don't let a high post count and the "GD Forum" world go to your head.

Just a hint: The GD forum is not reality.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are both you guys trying to get banned for CoC violations?

It's Garandman's thread.  I made my point about national CCW, and moved on.    I'd be out of here, but I got interested.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, children.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#45]
This is not as improbable as people are saying.

Machineguns are technically still legal, there's just a cap on the supply. We can use that fact to our advantage. There are thousands of legal machine guns out there and they are hardly ever used in crime.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Point me in the right direction.....I'm game

I'll forward this to the Pink Pistol members and mangement as well.

Cool.

I'll let this thread run a day or two, contact those with interest, and we'll see where it goes from there.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Look you get a repeal tacked on an as amendment to an omnibus must pass bill and that's it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Look you get a repeal tacked on an as amendment to an omnibus must pass bill and that's it.

Wouldn't something like that result in political suicide?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top