Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:58:31 PM EDT
My 2005 Camry has a tape player and a 6 disk cd player.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:04:48 PM EDT
None of the vehicles we own(2004 GMC Sierra, 2005 Chevy TrailBlazer, or 2006 Chevy Silverado) have one. The 2000 Chevy Blazer my mom had before her TrailBlazer had tape and CD. I think my BIL's 2005 Ford Crown Victoria has one. I'll have to see if my GF's Hyundai Accent has one, I think it has just six-disc CD.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:11:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Camp_Ninja:

Originally Posted By Green_Canoe:
For all you "CDs are superior" people...

According to an auto industry mag I was reading a month or two ago, CD players are going to be disapearing very shortly. Within 6 years the CD will be going the way of the cassette. It takes up too much room in the dash. It will be replaced by things such as IPOD and MP3 player ports and memory stick and flash drive based storage formats.

Good. Can't wait!

Not sure if I read the same article, but it was the same topic. It said that CD's are going away in general because of the ease of digital music.

HOWEVER, the same article also mentioned that CD's are being replaced with an unlikely successor- VINYL.

Vinyl album production in the US has quadrupled in the last three years, and lots of the more "underground" bands are releasing albums on Vinyl and MP3 ONLY.

I have a couple of turntables, and I've been able to find just about everything I have on CD on vinyl.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:14:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nightstalker:
The wife's 2005 Honda Pilot has one. Also a 6 disc CD. I was pretty surprised. Not sure if we've ever used it.

We used it for a tape based interface for the dvd/MP3 players, as the FM/wireless ones leave electrical system "whine" on the audio.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:31:26 PM EDT
A few months ago, when I was selling at a Land Rover dealership, we had an '05 BMW X5 that we had taken in on trade. The thing sat for months, and didn't sell until it was written down $3k.

It was a loaded up 4.4i with navigation and everything, but no CD player. Just the cassette deck hidden behind the nav screen. Why anybody would have ordered such a thing is beyond me.

My '05 Crown Vic has a CD/cassette stereo, as well as the '02 TrailBlazer that I had before it. I never once used the tape deck in either one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:44:38 PM EDT

I recall that when I worked for the state university, the pool cars were required by policy to be purchased with bare-bones options--and it specifically stated "AM/FM radio only."

That was fine, it kept the option cost down for a while. Then the cassette started to be standard, and the dealerships would have to delete the cassette for no credit. Then the dealerships started charging extra to special-order the cars without cassette players, because the manufacturer started charging extra for the "non-standard" option combination.

Radio delete would have been free, but the spec requirements said "AM/FM radio only".

So, in the end, the state was paying extra for each car, just to keep the price down.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:56:03 PM EDT
The hands down baddest cassette player evr produced was the Silver AM/FM KRACO with the built in 5 channel EQ with amp. That mo-fo rocked my 71 Challenger with 4 pioneer 6x9's on the rear deck and pioneer 6 inch rounds in the doors.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:26:31 PM EDT
I have casettes I had not listened to in years, until I bought an 05 Audi S4 which came with a casette player, in addition to the in-dash CD changer.

Fine with me.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:38:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GunnySkox:

Also, some company makes a tape deck that goes in 5.25" bays on computers. I want one!

~GnSx

I have one. Have been converting some 400 cassettes of mine into mp3 files. It's like taking a musical stroll down memory lane. Software is a little buggy, but when you get it to work, it works just fine. The company is BTO, and it's called the PlusDeck2C. You can find it at Amazon.

Also, if you have tapes that squeak when played, put them in the oven for a couple of hours at 130 degrees. They squeak because the tape has absorbed moisture. 3M and Scotch tried a new formula on their cassettes in the late 70's, early 80's, and that's what caused the squeak.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:50:22 PM EDT
My 2005 Prius came with an 8-track. Does that count?

Great for hippies with a large collection from the sixties.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:08:23 PM EDT
2007 Toyota Avalon has both 6 disc CD changer and cassette player.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:09:39 PM EDT
Up until 2003, AM General still had tape decks in the HUMMER.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:11:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JustinOK34:
Justin does your Ford Taurus come with a tape deck? I think my grandma's Sable comes with one. It's an 05 as well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:14:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GeorgeInNePa:
My 2005 Camry has a tape player and a 6 disk cd player.
My 06 Tundra has one too, I'm not upset over it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:38:04 AM EDT
My 03 explorer has a cd player and tape deck. tape deck is all dusty as hell. actually want to buy a tape to put in it
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:47:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Quintin:
My mom's 2005 Expedition has a cassette deck and a single disc CD player.

We have one of those combination decks too and put an iPod adapter in the tape player when we need it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:48:31 AM EDT
Come with that only? None that I'm aware of. When I bought my truck in '05 it was available, I think the work trucks came with it or just radio only. Though I don't know why I haven't seen cassettes available in a very long time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:59:18 AM EDT
I have a few hundred tapes in a box around here somewhere. I have a bunch of records too. I am also old enough to be quite familiar with the 8-track.

They all suck. The sound is terrible compared to CDs. CDs suck because they get scratched if you even look at them wrong. MP-3s and others suck because they are usually a low bit rate and don't sound any better than a friggin tape. Time to move on. Small drives with audio recorded at a high bit rate would be the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:02:02 AM EDT
Ewwwww....
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:18:55 AM EDT
We went to the Phoenix Auto Show a couple weeks ago, and my wife and I were suprised to find a tape player in the brand new Lexus, Mercedes, and Audi.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:54:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Deej86:

Originally Posted By JustinOK34:
Justin does your Ford Taurus come with a tape deck? I think my grandma's Sable comes with one. It's an 05 as well.

My 2005 Ford Taurus (SEL) did not have a tape deck installed. I think the SE did have the tape deck, not sure though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:16:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
I have a few hundred tapes in a box around here somewhere. I have a bunch of records too. I am also old enough to be quite familiar with the 8-track.

They all suck. The sound is terrible compared to CDs. CDs suck because they get scratched if you even look at them wrong. MP-3s and others suck because they are usually a low bit rate and don't sound any better than a friggin tape. Time to move on. Small drives with audio recorded at a high bit rate would be the way to go.

128 kbps MP3s sound very good on my Kenwood Excelon head unit.

I've meant to rip a few in different formats and different bitrates to see if I can tell the difference...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:46:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KS_Physicist:

I've meant to rip a few in different formats and different bitrates to see if I can tell the difference...

If you ever get a Sony car stereo (like I did for my truck when the factory AM/FM cassette deck went out), you might find that you like the [proprietary-to-Sony] ATRAC3 format.

I ripped a lot of my CDs and .mp3s into that (note: I did not convert the existing file, as it's usually not backwards-convertible), so I could burn CDs for the truck. You'd be amazed at the # of songs in ATRAC3 that you can get onto a regular CD-R or -RW.

When I got my new cell phone, I got the Sony Ericsson W810i, as it had a built-in Walkman and *lots* of storage (both in the phone and in the memory stick). I planned on using it as a Walkman (a role it works great in; even has a built-in FM radio.... unfortunately no AM version so no talk radio) and as an "iPod for the truck," since the Sony I got for the truck has an aux input jack.

You can imagine my dismay when I learned that the cell phone did not leverage Sony's proprietary ATRAC3 file format and provide compatibility.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:50:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Redcap:

Originally Posted By tom1000rr:
What is a cassette?

Cassettes Explained

see, that's a great application of a RR

anyone that would actually like to have "cassettes explained" deserves it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:37:30 AM EDT

... does your Ford Taurus come with a tape deck? I think my grandma's Sable comes with one. It's an 05 as well.

I think Mercury and Buick still offer the factory Victrola player as an option, due to insistent demand from its customers.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:40:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KS_Physicist:

I can hear a big difference between 128 and 192 on just about anything it is played on. But I can't seem to hear any improvement beyond 192 when you go up to 320 or whatever. At least not on any stereo I have.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:44:55 AM EDT
I own a '04 F-250 that came with a tape deck/radio....no CD player.
But it also has rubber flooring instead of carpet.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:59:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ken_mays:

... does your Ford Taurus come with a tape deck? I think my grandma's Sable comes with one. It's an 05 as well.

I think Mercury and Buick still offer the factory Victrola player as an option, due to insistent demand from its customers.

The 1960 Plymouth and a few other cars had optional 45rpm phonographs in the dash.
That would have been the shit back then.

Nothing wrong with cassettes. They are much less susceptible to vibration and shock in an auto. The CD is the "fragile" format. Solid state music players are the real advance.

I keep a cassette of Physical Graffiti in my armrest as back-up in case I kill the battery in my Zen player.

Colonel Hurtz
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:03:48 AM EDT
They should be banned from civilian use.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:07:01 AM EDT
My first car a POS 77 Grand prix with a 401 big block had a working 8 track player, under the back seat guess what I found? AC/DC Back in Black on 8 track and the player still worked!!!! this was in 94 so.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:25:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2007 7:26:09 AM EDT by wise_jake]

Originally Posted By vengarr:
My first car a POS 77 Grand prix with a 401 big block had a working 8 track player, under the back seat guess what I found? AC/DC Back in Black on 8 track and the player still worked!!!! this was in 94 so.

So for your first car you bought one made the year you were born?

Kidding, sorta. The first cassette tape I ever purchased was Back in Black, which sorta dates me, as well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:48:19 AM EDT
My 2002 Jeep Liberty has one and I use it every day....for my MP3 player with tape deck adapter.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:26:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vengarr:
Well, its better than finding it being used to hold an outhouse level...

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:44:23 PM EDT
I was driving my aunts 07 Mercedes had one. i thought it was wierd
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top