BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTDT?  That one isn't on the master list.

BTDT - been there, done that

8am to dusk for my range

Same for mine, exc. on Sundays, when it is 1 PM to dusk. Open 7 days a week. If nobody's there, I shoot alone. We have gate, combination lock, and fencing. Isn't there some kind of lock or key system at your club, MocoMan?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My club is just gated, and you can shoot from 9am to dusk everyday.

I HATE clubs that have rules about how many rounds you can put in a magazine, or how many shots per minute you can fire.   I am not a yahoo by any means, but I've already had an old fart tell me I couldn't have more than 5 rounds in my rifle mag.  At that point, I produced a printout of the club rules, which I keep in my gunbox incase of a dispute, and asked him to find that rule.  That shut his damn pie hole.

I keep one in my case, too,for such a contingency, but have never had any problem with any members. Elmer Fudds and black powder guys shoot next to black rifle guys, no prob.

But there was this one arrogant State Policeman who came in uninvited one day, and wanted to kick us all out so he could do some "Tactical" shooting.....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nope - my club is not like that - open the gate and shoot

observe the range rules e.g. right caliber at specific ranges and you are GTG

and class III friendly - no BS about how many round magazines you can use.

Where are you at? I'm a member at N. Grafton.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
What about the pit? How far are you away from it? (If you're in the 810, you can't be too far.)

Kris
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The range I belong to had me go there and sit through their meeting, inducted me and several new members, and then I had to watch a video on the range which was actually informative.  

Then they said they had to certify me to shoot at the high power range (up to 300 yrads) which meant they stamped my membership card.  Then I was handed an electronic key card which opens the main gate, gets you into the clubhouse, and then into the indoor pistol range 24/7.

When I go there (unless its deer season) there is almost no one there.  Great place and worth the $90 some odd dollars I paid for a family membership.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#6]
the club i belong to has operating hours, however that is because there are houses in very close proximity and we don't want to annoy the neighbors by keeping them up at night.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate to admit I'm considering joining this group.
http://www.paloaltogunclub.com/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=41
A 45 min drive, too expensive, ect.
Check out the prices on the membership app link
My choices are Precision in Baton Rouge. Nice guys, but indoors.
OR
Tallow Creek in Goodbee...asshole staff, you cannot shoot rifles standing (they have 4X12" planks about 10 yds in front of stations anout 4 feet off ground) Of course the range nazis are 18y/o d#cks or 90 y/o lever action, once a year hunters. I've got the "are you shooting full auto?" a couple of times...
Louisiana sucks more than you even think.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My Club. Kitsap Rifle and Revolver is $60 a year plus $30 for the one time range safety orientation class. Which is held at least once a month. Shooting hours are 7am-10pm. Both the pistol and rifle lines are lighted. There is a range master on duty During Public hours Tues-Sat. They hold USPSA and IPSC matches and Funsteel shoots. No mag limit. no restrictions on rapid fire. Great range with a great members and good staff.

Sounds like my club, Miami Rifle & Pistol Club.

Pay dues, go to orientation meeting (where you get the gate combo).  After that, all of the range (benchrest, KD, action pistol, bullseye pistol/smallbore, class III) is yours from 8 AM (9 AM on Sunday) to dusk.  The only special qualification is to use the 600 yd firing line on the KD range, which is waived if you can show an NRA Highpower Rifle classification).

Our dues are pretty reasonable too.  We are the only club in western and central Ohio with a 600 yd range.  All scheduled matches are open to the public.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Moco where are you located in MI?

I don't want to badmouth this mystery club more than I have so I'm staying quiet.  I'm in SE Mich. (810)

Well, are you just whining like a little girl or are you going to do something about it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I HATE clubs that have rules about how many rounds you can put in a magazine, or how many shots per minute you can fire.   I am not a yahoo by any means, but I've already had an old fart tell me I couldn't have more than 5 rounds in my rifle mag.  At that point, I produced a printout of the club rules, which I keep in my gunbox incase of a dispute, and asked him to find that rule.  That shut his damn pie hole.

I keep one in my case, too,for such a contingency, but have never had any problem with any members. Elmer Fudds and black powder guys shoot next to black rifle guys, no prob.

But there was this one arrogant State Policeman who came in uninvited one day, and wanted to kick us all out so he could do some "Tactical" shooting.....

Was he a club member, what did you do?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was he a club member, what did you do?

First off, so I don't hijack the thread, and let it fly into a JBT-bashing thread, I must mention that all police officers I have ever dealt with were utterly professional and correct in their demeanor and treatment of me*.

We have many LEOs who come in and use our facilities, we are happy to have them there,and we make special arrangements with them for the exclusive use of our grounds for quals, etc..

We are a small 300 member private shooting club, no clubhouse, bar or kitchen, it is an informally-created club (since 1929) that has progressed into a rifle and pistol-shooting club with many more rules, simply because of insurance, laws and gun paranoia. Inside those rules, we have a lot of fun- BP shooters, EBRs, Class 3, bolters, cowboy shooters, etc. We hold all sorts of events, and occasionally invite the public. We try NOT to be snobs to anybody, both in and out of the club.

Many of our clarified and tightened rules re LEOs and guests came about as a result of the follwing two incidents:

*Exc. this guy. Fresh out of the MA State Police Academy. He seemed to think he could come and go at this range, and kick everybody out, since he was an LEO and a  hometown boy. Turned out he did not have the OK to be on our grounds, but lied and said he did. In an effort to avoid a confrontation, another member signed him in, against club policy. I left, since I did not feel safe at this point- the guy was getting VERY upset that I told him he was trespassing. I told the club membership and leadership about this, and the shit hit the fan. Nobody was happy about this guy abusing us and his position as a peace officer.

I went to the local PD about it. They told me the guy in question was somebody who had been a part-time guy on their force who did not get hired full-time when a position came up, and was not too well-liked while there. The sergeant I spoke with did not sound too surprised at his behavior.

I also wrote a letter to the Col. of the State Police about him, never heard back, never got an apology from him, BUT we have never seen him again. Word is, he got transferred to the MA SP equivalent of Siberia - Northwestern MA, way out past Springfield. Good riddance to him.

There was also another local PD, not Grafton, who used to come in at odd hours, drive their cruisers out on the firing line, and blast away with their shotguns, pistols and semi-auto rifles at the berms and target holders, leaving brass, shells and splintered target frames in their wake. We found out who they were, and banned them forever.

As a result of these two incidents, we now have perimeter fencing, a swinging truck-gate mounted in concrete, combination locks, range phone (w/911 on speed dial), and a member sign-in system, and everybody is trained to be ROs. Now, things work great, and the yahoo factor is gone.

The membership are also a lot more conscious of how easy it is for somebody to do something bad, or for a misunderstanding to be created, so, we all work together, and are very anal on safety now, as well as being VERY careful whom we allow in for guests.

That was in 2002, I think, and it was our intro to the climate of the 21st century. Before that, we were a sleepy gun club, and had few problems with unauthorized people coming in, because we ignored them. Until they created problems for us, that is.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top