Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 15 year old 8th grader?

I don't think the space program is going to suffer any significant setbacks due to the loss of this fine young man.

I was 15 for the last month of 8th grade. It's not all that uncommon.

Birthday in May, so I could have been relatively old in one grade or relatively young in another.

There were a few people older than me by about 6 months that were all held back a grade at some point.

and now you sit on the senate budget committee don't you?

Insulting me really won't get you very far. My skin is thicker than that weak attempt.

As previously stated, I was merely trying to point out that a 15 year old 8th grader is not uncommon.

I was surprised by all of the people that commented on it.

I don't get the insults either. Both of them already look stupid for not know that many kids who haven't been held back are 15 years old in the 8th grade.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

in another newspaper they showed a pic of a pic of the pistol - it did NOT appear to have an orange tip and it looked a LOT like a glock..

trying to locate the article

b

found article..

yahoo news link
Looks real to me.
Very closely Resembles a glock, but there is a lot to it that's 'off.'

Slide serrations, trigger guard, magazine baseplate, sights, etc.

I've never seen a Glock that looks like that, but maybe I haven't seen enough Glocks.

Maybe upon close examination of a still side-view picture in a static setting.

Now imagine a frontal view of that same pistol, somewhat concealed by someone's hands, in a very dynamic situation.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]
It sucks,

but Good Shoot
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the space program is going to suffer any significant setbacks due to the loss of this fine young man.

Birthday in May, so I could have been relatively old in one grade or relatively young in another.

There were a few people older than me by about 6 months that were all held back a grade at some point.

Insulting me really won't get you very far. My skin is thicker than that weak attempt.

As previously stated, I was merely trying to point out that a 15 year old 8th grader is not uncommon.

I don't get the insults either. Both of them already look stupid for not know that many kids who haven't been held back are 15 years old in the 8th grade.

Since everyone starts Kindergarten at 5 (with a few at 4), unless your parents hold you back, I'm having trouble figuring out how there are any 15 year old 8th graders that haven't been held back.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
How many of you if you encountered a person who had a gun pointed at you, (especially that gun), and you happened to be carrying  would not shoot him?

If you wouldn't, then I don't think you have any reason to carry.

If a cop has a gun out and tells you to do something, you do it, whether he is right at the time or not, because if you don't he is probably pumped enough you may get shot if you don't do what you are told.

It is not the officers job to get killed thinking, "Maybe that's not real."  It is his job to stop the threat, and that is what they did.

We live in a society that thinks you can Monday morning quarterback everything, and "instant replay" and question every decision.  That is not reality, that is the fantasy world lawyers live in.  Those officers made the right decision with the information they had at the time.

I am not a cop, but I do work in a job where I make time sensitive decisions with limited information and people's lives are at stake.  I appreciate the fact that you do what you think is right, but in retrospect you sometimes make mistakes.  You operate on the information you have at the time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is why I could never be a cop.

I'm not suggesting that it was a bad shoot, I just could never live with myself if it was my shoot.

Do you CCW? Sure, cops put themselves in harms way, but anyone can encounter a similar situation.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry it was my attempt at humor.  I went to school in the Chicagoland area..... the only 15 year olds we had in 8th grade were those who ended up not making it through highschool.  This was over 25 years ago, but if your 15 years old in 8th grade, there's other issues at hand especially with the way public schools are.

I see what your saying. I went to a smaller school that did not have a very high failure rate, so I didn't have a lot of experience with those types of kids.

Back to the main topic. It sucks for the cops involved, but from the available information, I don't think they had any good alternatives.

Taser?

AB

Lol. Let me point my gun at you and you shoot me with a Taser. Let's see who ends up dead and who ends up walking away.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Little more chlorine for the gene pool.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since everyone starts Kindergarten at 5 (with a few at 4), unless your parents hold you back, I'm having trouble figuring out how there are any 15 year old 8th graders that haven't been held back.

I don't know. My daughter started a 5, turned 6 in K and will be 14 when she starts 9th grade.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know. My daughter started a 5, turned 6 in K and will be 14 when she starts 9th grade.

Yep thats about right.

This kid would be what 19 or maybe 20 (depending on his BD)when he graduates.

15 you should be in 10th grade.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It sucks,
but Good Shoot

sad but true

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry it was my attempt at humor.  I went to school in the Chicagoland area..... the only 15 year olds we had in 8th grade were those who ended up not making it through highschool.  This was over 25 years ago, but if your 15 years old in 8th grade, there's other issues at hand especially with the way public schools are.

I see what your saying. I went to a smaller school that did not have a very high failure rate, so I didn't have a lot of experience with those types of kids.

Back to the main topic. It sucks for the cops involved, but from the available information, I don't think they had any good alternatives.

Taser?

AB

Uh, no
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How many of you if you encountered a person who had a gun pointed at you, (especially that gun), and you happened to be carrying  would not shoot him?

If you wouldn't, then I don't think you have any reason to carry.

If a cop has a gun out and tells you to do something, you do it, whether he is right at the time or not, because if you don't he is probably pumped enough you may get shot if you don't do what you are told.

It is not the officers job to get killed thinking, "Maybe that's not real."  It is his job to stop the threat, and that is what they did.

We live in a society that thinks you can Monday morning quarterback everything, and "instant replay" and question every decision.  That is not reality, that is the fantasy world lawyers live in.  Those officers made the right decision with the information they had at the time.

I am not a cop, but I do work in a job where I make time sensitive decisions with limited information and people's lives are at stake.  I appreciate the fact that you do what you think is right, but in retrospect you sometimes make mistakes.  You operate on the information you have at the time.

Yep, Graham v. Connor. "tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving", also, "What the officer KNOWS at the TIME force is used".
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Good shoot.

My heart goes out to the poor officer that had to pull the trigger, but I'd have done the same thing if confronted with a "replica".

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Sad...

I'd do the same thing though. Some of the 15 y.o. around here are bigger than me. If one of them walks around, especially in the dark, pulling a gun, I would have to do what I have to do. I did stupid shit when I was a teen. Like removing the orange tip from my pellet gun...

Here is a BB Co2 Glock 19 and a real Glock 19 in 9mm (both are mine). Kinda hard to tell the difference...

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:34:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
in another newspaper they showed a pic of a pic of the pistol - it did NOT appear to have an orange tip and it looked a LOT like a glock..

trying to locate the article

b

found article..

yahoo news link

Looks real to me.

Very closely Resembles a glock, but there is a lot to it that's 'off.'

I've never seen a Glock that looks like that, but maybe I haven't seen enough Glocks.

If you are a cop trying to get this guy to put his gun down, you aren't looking at serrations, trigger guards, etc.

It looks like a real gun and that got this moron shot.

I was commenting only on the gun, not the events that got the kid killed.

The gun is what I was talking about as well.  It looked real and under the circumstances, neither the cop nor you nor I, would have been able to discern all the things you are talking about.

The GUN looking so real and the kid refusing to drop it got the kid killed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:35:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taser?

AB

Taser someone who is pointing what appears to be a real gun at you?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:46:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Yeah, that'd be smart... Muscle contractions from the electricity would make his trigger finger muscle cramp and he'd shoot you....
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:49:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, that'd be smart... Muscle contractions from the electricity would make his trigger finger muscle cramp and he'd shoot you....

Not to mention getting inside of 20-25 feet of someone with a gun so that the probes connect. Use of force continuum means +1 response. Deadly force immediately gets met with same.

Might as well ask why the cops didn't shoot the gun out of the poor kid's hand.

Edited so as not to be misconstrued.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:56:06 AM EDT
[#21]
IMO, we as a society helped put the kid in the ground by constantly coddling kids and rarely having them face real consequences for their actions.

Kid probably showed up with the pellet gun thinking, "I'm a fucking kid. They won't shoot me. My mommy'll just sue them into oblivion and I'll live in luxury for the rest of my life. Besides, it's just a pellet gun."

This kid's death might actually save lives moving forward by convincing other kids that sometimes you really do have to pay a steep price for stupidity.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:02:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
15 year old Jamie Gonzalez could have been a 6 foot tall, 175lb banger looking kid flashing what looked exactly like a semi auto pistol at people with real guns who were yelling at him to drop it.

Play stupid games and all that.

Please don't try to use reason here. This is Arfcom.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:06:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Even if they knew it was a pellet gun, I'd say good shoot. Sucks he put the cops in that position but he wanted a Darwin award and earned it fair and square.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Real gun, bb gun, or no gun.  It doesn't matter.  If the cops say "stop or I'll shoot", and you don't stop, its your fault you're dead.  Even if they were wrong in the first place, (which they weren't), you're still dead, and it's your fault for not stopping.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:27:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Louisiana it's common to be 13 in the 8th grade..  At 15 i was in my second year of highschool

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:30:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taser?

AB

The same thing happened to a partner of mine 3 years ago....calls of an armed person in a parking lot. Arrives and finds a kid holding a pistol....kid runs when confronted, they give chase. Kid suddenly turns and points pistol at him and ends up getting smoked. 17yr old with an airsoft. I guess he thought the cops would stop chasing him if he pointed it at them.

An unfortunate but good shoot.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:34:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What? I was almost always older than everyone else in my class and I was 15 starting 10th grade!!!!!

Being one of the first sophomores to drive gave me an advantage on the field when it came to females
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:37:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sad...

I'd do the same thing though. Some of the 15 y.o. around here are bigger than me. If one of them walks around, especially in the dark, pulling a gun, I would have to do what I have to do. I did stupid shit when I was a teen. Like removing the orange tip from my pellet gun...

Here is a BB Co2 Glock 19 and a real Glock 19 in 9mm (both are mine). Kinda hard to tell the difference...

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa324/mike-munich/iPhone056.jpg

I have seen real weapons with painted tips in person. Gang members have started dipping their handguns in orange paint to try to get a split second advantage.

Orange tip or not, if I am pointing a gun at you and giving commands and you decide to point the weapon at me I will shoot you. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:38:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Very closely resembles a glock, but there is a lot to it that's 'off.'

Are you even serious?

Quoted:
Taser?

See above.

The more and more I read Arfcom I actually start to be glad that my department doesn't issue tasers. Even here people want you to taser people for things that obviously warrant a firearm. I could imagine what would happen in NYC if we were to get them. "Guy ran at you with a knife? Why didn't you use your taser?". Etc, etc, etc........
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:46:51 AM EDT
[#31]
good shoot. I feel bad for the cops and the parents...

Noone wants to kill a kid...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#32]
You guys remember the elementary school kid who shot the teacher down here in Florida several years ago??...Resulted in the big law suit against the gun maker (cheap pocket pistol... Lorcin, or Jennings or something).  Security camera showed him chambering a round, pointing it right at the teacher, and shooting him.

Being a kid does not automatically make one an innocent little angel.

The article also says the kid in this recent incident walked into a classroom, and punched somebody in the face right before the confrontation with police.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:58:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There's plenty I'd like to kill.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:58:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Play adult games, win adult prizes.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:59:45 AM EDT
[#35]

Unfortunately true. Those who've been deployed probably saw shit like that too...

A kid with a gun is a combatant...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:00:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps, you sit on the public education board?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:02:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Unfortunately true. Those who've been deployed probably saw shit like that too...

http://images.zeit.de/bilder/2007/45/international/kindersoldat/kindersoldat-artikel.jpg

http://www.pdwb.de/grafiken/kindersoldat.jpg

http://polpix.sueddeutsche.com/polopoly_fs/1.259906.1274123355!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/860x860/image.jpg

A kid with a gun is a combatant...

And a kid without a gun is just a combatant that hasn't armed himself yet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
And a kid without a gun is just a combatant that hasn't armed himself yet.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#39]
He was 15.  Let me say that again, 15!  By this age he should have some clue that pointing a gun, of any kind, especially one that looks like the real thing, will get you shot.  It's not like a 7 year old that doesn't completely understand.  

ETA: My condolences to the police officers involved.  That must be hard to deal with, even if it was the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Terrible tragedy all around and GD is having a pissing match about what the age/grade standards are...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Of course we know that there are never any school shootings where the perp is a minor student.  I bought my kids some airsoft guns for Christmas.  They look EXACTLY like the real thing, even up close.  The only give away is the orange tip.  Tough situation for the officers, they made the right choice, unfortunately, the 8th grader did not.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:40:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Good shoot.

Sorry the kid was born so stupid.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

uh- most kids are 14-15 by the time they are wrapping up eighth grade. Meaning that you should be turning 15 atleast your freshman in High School. I was 14 leaving the eighth grade. I was not the youngest, but far from the oldest.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Suicide by cop.  Unfortunate.  I went to school with a guy that was more than crazy enough to pull something like that off at that age.

ETA: a 15 year old 8th grader?  There's more to this story..

You picked up on that too?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sad, but I'd have shot too if someone was pointing this at me.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/Aiden80013/fd5f36a16c105f00030f6a706700681e.jpg

The second I saw this picture on the news, I said "that's a fake" before they even commented about it.  It took a nano-second to identify it as such.  The spaced magazine is a dead give-away.  However, pointing a fake weapon at an officer or anyone else will get this expected outcome.  It would have been nice if the officers could have identified it as a fake but i'm not going to second guess and arm-chair quarter back them given the perceived dire situation.  Hell, kid could have had his hand over the mag well hiding the obvious fakeness, etc...  The real solution here was don't point weapons at people.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:16:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

In Louisiana it's common to be 13 in the 8th grade..  At 15 i was in my second year of highschool

[/div]

In Illinois I was 17, graduated high school and already in the US Army.  I didn't finish early or get promoted, etc.. either.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:18:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very closely resembles a glock, but there is a lot to it that's 'off.'

Are you even serious?

Quoted:
Taser?

See above.

The more and more I read Arfcom I actually start to be glad that my department doesn't issue tasers. Even here people want you to taser people for things that obviously warrant a firearm. I could imagine what would happen in NYC if we were to get them. "Guy ran at you with a knife? Why didn't you use your taser?". Etc, etc, etc........

Wait until you get Tasers and someone dies after using the Taser on them.  Then the public will call them deadly electricity machines.

BTW: Limited info but sounds like a good shoot.  Don't point guns at cops and you will improve your chance of living.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#48]
good shoot if the pistol was all black.
the kid probably pointed it at officers. in my book thats a good shoot
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's plenty I'd like to kill.

i stand corrected. I dont know about kill but hanging out at monkey joes has sure made me want to choke a few.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[/div]
Taser?

AB
 [/div]

Are you seriously suggesting that the police deploy a TASER against a suspect armed with a gun?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top