Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if I am going to get an answer to my question?

Or has the 'blue wall of silence' descended?

here it is if anyone missed it:

My question is this, lets say I am in my back yard, and the police release a police dog, and it comes into my backyard and comes at me. Do I resist it, by killing it, or should I just let the crazy fucker bite me, and hope the officer who is supposed to be in control of the dog is nearby?

After all 'It is coming right for me'.

Would I face charges of killing a police dog?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Some here should be ashamed of themselves and it most certainly is not me.
View Quote

No, not arrogant.....not at all. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Shotar,

Are you brave enough to answer my question, or are you going to hide from it because it is uncomfortable?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#6]

My question is this, lets say I am in my back yard, and the police release a police dog, and it comes into my backyard and comes at me. Do I resist it, by killing it, or should I just let the crazy fucker bite me, and hope the officer who is supposed to be in control of the dog is nearby?

View Quote

No offense, but making up hypothetical situations and asking what people would do is pointless. Response in real life stituations is the result of many more factors and emotional stimulus than you can ever describe in a small text scenario. Give it up dude...
--RR
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Notack, I would be embarrassed to share those values for there is the difference  between civilized men and savages.  I would surely run into the burning building to save your children and no dog ever born was worth any human life.  The tragedy is that I am reading the words of allegedly civilized human beings saying they would die or kill for a dog.  Others saying a dog is of greater value than people, etc.  I guess there really are people in this world who should not breed, no pun intended.  

As to the money issue, it does not really bother me.  I have all I need, but maybe not all I want.  The career change has been quite good to me and I certainly make more than a southern California income on a Cleveland cost of living.  Hell, my worst year I doubled the Police Chief salary I was earning, so I won't complain.  Some here should be ashamed of themselves and it most certainly is not me.
View Quote

I would be embarassed too, if I had only studied AJ.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

No offense, but making up hypothetical situations and asking what people would do is pointless. Response in real life stituations is the result of many more factors and emotional stimulus than you can ever describe in a small text scenario. Give it up dude...
--RR
View Quote

Horseshit,

I am willing to bet that I would be charged with the 'crime' of defending myself from a police dog.

But if I was a cop and a dog came around the corner and came at me, I would get a 'walk' because it would be ruled a 'clean shoot'.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what AJ means, I presume you mean " About Jesus ".  No, I spoke with other religious leaders too and have certainly studied numerous subject quite extensively. I am well degreed and well read.  I still draw the same conclusions.  Humans are always more valuable than animals.
View Quote

Looks like you failed Biology in 10th grade, despite going on to other great successes; like this thread.[;D]

We are among the highest species developed in the ANIMAL KINGDOM.

YMMV...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Equal protection under the law.

Dogs are property, and a working dog is just another tool of the trade or endevour at hand.  It is no more of a Law Enforcement Officer, then handcuffs, vehicles, batons, communication devices, body armor, or any other common tool of the law enforcement profession.  In no way should we entertain the idea that a dog is an Officer of the Law.

If a working dog, while under complete physical control of a trained handler, is killed or damaged beyond suitable use, then the fair market value of the dog, plus the expense of the training required for it to perform the task(s) required should be levied against the guilty party.  

However, if the dog is NOT under the complete physical control of a trained handler(i.e. off the leash or harness) and since voice commands, whistles, clickers, bells, or other noise making devices, or hand and arm signals are not physical control, then the God given right of self preservation should prevail since there are no guarantees that the unleashed dog behaving in an aggressive manner will follow the commands given by the handler.

The beef many of us here have with the current handling of these situations is that the dog owned by the police department is granted elevated status to the point of being a "Petty Officer" on the force.  Meanwhile, the dog owned by Joe Public is not even worth the price Joe paid the breeder for the dog.

In Florida, a felon kicked a police dog, but did not injure the animal.  He was awarded an 8 year addition to his sentence.  Now, I'm all for keeping scumbags off the street.  But what if the circumstances were different.  What if the subject was found innocent of the felony charge, would / should he still serve an 8 year prison sentence for kicking a dog?

In Tennessee, a family is pulled over for a felony stop and removed from their vehicle at gunpoint.  They comply with every command given by the police.  The family alerts the police that there are two dogs in the vehicle and they ask the officers to please shut the doors so the dogs can't get out.  The officers refuse the family's requests, and shortly thereafter, a puppy exits the vehicle and approaches an officer in a submissive manner.  The officer then shoots the submissive dog in the head with a shotgun.  The family is released without charge.  The shooting is considered justified even though the officers did not follow the warnings and requests of the family to secure the vehicle doors, and the  dog was behaving in a submissive manner.  No attempt to reimburse the family for property loss.  

Lets play a little game of what if.

The houses in my neighborhood have their backyards enclosed by 6 ft wooden privacey fences.  My white trash next door neighbor, before he got killed in a head on collision, would sit in his backyard in the evening, sometimes alone, but often with his white trash friends and he / they would smoke marijuana and possibly take other drugs as well.  During some of those times my family and I with our dog, would sit in our backyard sipping some drinks and eating some BBQ.  (The previous statment is true!)  

[b][red]What if[/red][/b] another neighbor, smelled the burning marijuana and called the police.  But for whatever reason(a wrong address, the police can't see or find the numbers on the house), the police  thinking it is the backyard of my dope smoking white trash neighbor, perform a dynamic entry into my backyard via the sideyard gate.  My dog, a 65 pound female Boxer, aggressively defends my son against the threat and in doing so is shot and killed by the first officer through the gate.  My 11 year old son is forced to the ground in the side yard and detained by one of the officers.  It is dark.  I am in the backyard and my view of the sideyard is blocked by my two story house.  I can not see either my son or my dog, but I hear the crash as the gate is breeched, my dog growling, a gunshot, someone yelling "police" and my son screaming like his legs have been cut off.  In the confusion of the moment, I draw my CCW believing my drugged up white trash neighbor and his white trash friends are armed and have just invaded my yard and shot my son.

As the police round the corner of the house from the sideyard to the backyard they are channalized between the house and the fence and they are shining high intensity flashlights which prevent me from being able to ID them as actual police officers.  From a kneeling position behind my patio table, and fearing for the lives of my family and myself, I lay down a field of grazing fire, wounding 2 officers and killing 2 more.  Before I can reload I am wounded and unable to resist the onslaught.  My wife is also shot as she tries to seek cover from the gunfire.  While my wife and I are unconscience in ICU, the police spend the next 3 days searching my house for any possible evidence, but come up empty handed.  Everyone in my family survives the ordeal, but my dog is killed.

Do you think I would be reimbursed for the fair market value of an AKC registered Boxer? Or would the killing  of my dog be considered justifiable?  What if there was a working dog with the entry team, and by chance I killed it as well?  Would / should I spend time in jail for killing the dog?

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what AJ means, I presume you mean " About Jesus ".  No, I spoke with other religious leaders too and have certainly studied numerous subject quite extensively. I am well degreed and well read.  I still draw the same conclusions.  Humans are always more valuable than animals.
View Quote

OHH, please, please, tell me you took, and passed, the [b]A[/b]dministration of [b]J[/b]ustice course at the local JC (Junior College) before becoming leo, right???
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No, actually BA in Police Management, BS in Aerospace engineering and finishing an MBA.
View Quote

Which, as I pointed out to you before, makes your inability to grasp the simplest of emotions, and logical progressions, all the funnier.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No, actually BA in Police Management, BS in Aerospace engineering and finishing an MBA.
View Quote

Well, then I'll refer back to my second post,
Quoted:
I would be embarassed too, if I had only studied AJ.
View Quote

[;)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:45:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:00:22 AM EDT
[#18]
"Are Dogs people too???  "

No.  They are animals.  Man's best friend and we love them, but they are animals and not human.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:24:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:36:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Since the vast majority of dogs are loyal, steadfast and true no one could ever confuse them with people.
View Quote

No doubt!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:45:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Would any of you trade your dog for one of these fine gentlemen??? I think not!!!

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/049614.jpg[/img]

I value human life, but as a general rule I prefer the company of my English Springers to most humans. My dogs provide enjoyment, entertainment, protection and the ability to flush a bird! I don't get all those abilities out of any human!!!

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/049613.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/049612.jpg[/img]

C4
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:47:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Is a human life worth more than a dog. I think its a question of right and wrong. We kill both human (death penalty)and dog (put to sleep)everyday because of what is right and what is wrong.

If someone hurts/shoots my dog my response will be to stop them and then harm that person.

This is because I am the person in charge of that animal. I protect it, I care for it. What someone does to my dog should be visited back upon themselves. UNLESS he has a damn good reason. If he does, I MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG. I have fail in my duties, If I haven't done anything to cause him to harm my dog, he will pay. You can quote the law forever it does not make something right.

I live by what I think is right and wrong and 90% of the time the law and what is right match.  The 10% is what separates me from the sheep.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#24]
[b]Humans are always more valuable than animals[/b]

i've had the pleasure of knowing many dogs and many humans. i can honestly say i've known some dogs that were far more "valuable" than some humans.

"always" is an absolute that doesn't apply in this case.

in plain english, i disagree with your belief.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Please place me in the "In most instances, dogs are better than people" category.  

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I love my dog.

If someone maliciously killed my dog, I'd seek SERIOUS revenge.
If I was there while the individual was attempting this, I'd use deadly force to stop them.

If it was a case of some lazy, ignorant cop who shot my dog because they didn't want to be "hassled" while walking through my yard...
...I'd also seek revenge.
Money wouldn't do it, because I love my dog too much to accept what ever measley sum I'd get for him.
So I would seek revenge.

This doesn't NECESSARILY mean I'd kill anyone.
But whoever did it would be very sorry.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I have  poodle and he is the BIGGEST baby you ever saw. If someone ever killed him.....well....It would not be pretty!

Mark
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:49:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:52:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So, if you could only keep one, your dog or AR, which would it be?
View Quote

I'd keep the AR.
It makes it easier to procure my next dog. [;D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#30]
[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20030624/i/1056482974.1409687666.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:06:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Shivan, I understand your logic and reasoning quite clearly.  I simply believe it to be wrong.  Btw There is no specific criminal code in virginia covering this.  Case law however according to a personal injury atty friend of mine from Fairfax pretty much follows Ohio law.  The exception is that in the case of a dog attacking other animals it pretty much mandates that the dog be killed.
View Quote

Ah, so we have a disagreement then.  I see.  If you read back, you will notice I have mentioned what I understand TEXAS law to be in regards to defendng property.  Simply because it served my purpose to exhibit that not all states have tied the hands of property owners.  I understand Fairfax law quite well.  I also understand that someone can steal my car in front of me, and unless they make a move to harm me I can't shoot them, I HAVE to let them go.

Does THAT make sense?  No, it doesn't.  You know you would draw down on the guy stealing the car, and if there was no compliance you may have to shoot him, right?

The laws, as written, have tangled the property owner in a legal conundrum.  However, the natural passion of the moment defies all law.  That is why there are specific exclusions for crimes of passion resulting in murder, hmm??

The NATURAL LAW would demand that you defend your property, with whatever means necessary to stop the infringement.  The statutes of many states disagree -- Virginia being one of them.  I haven't used Virginia OR Ohio law as a basis for MY argument.  I'd like to use something closer to a morally and naturally correct law that matches with what normal people will likely do in a given situation.  Not some watered down statute that gives thieves unfettered access to run through my property like they were at the local grocery.

A dog, with EMOTIONS, transcends the law that defines it.  Either in a monetary, or a property protection, or liability sense.  The same goes for other pets that exhibit recognizable emotions like cats, horses, pot-bellied pigs, etc.

As I stated 4 pages ago, this is not a black and white issue.  This is not cut and dry.

I don't know how many people need to tell you that the law regarding their family pet means shit when confronted with it being killed.  It may mean something after all the chips have landed, but the more it happens the more danger these LEO's will be in.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:16:41 AM EDT
[#33]
The Law is irrelevant here.

I don't care what the law is.
You kill my dog, you will answer for it.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:41:42 AM EDT
[#36]
[i]We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.[/i]

While the people established this document of the structure of law, justice and adminstration not all laws outside this document have been for the good of the people.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#37]
The President has good taste in dogs!

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/049640.jpg[/img]

C4
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

But isn't the founding principal of this country that we are a nation of laws, not men, or dogs for that matter?
View Quote

Ever go faster than the speed limit?

I'm sure the founding fathers were just spinning in their graves.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I understand that, this is why I consulted lerned clergymen who may be more in tune with the moral implications of this situation as opposed to the technical legalese.  All assured me that dogs have no soul and that human life is always superior to that of animals. No matter how low we may consider the human.
View Quote

The CHURCH, thats really not the place to find out what is right and wrong. More PEOPLE have been killed in the name of GOD than any other reason. Every side in a conflict prays to god and thinks they are right.

The real reason the clergy feel this way because dogs dont have any money.You watch a dog put some money into the collection plate and see how fast they will have a soul to the learned clergymen.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I get it, I get it.  Its only the laws we don't like that we don't have to follow.
View Quote

No, not arrogant....not at all.[rolleyes]

Or maybe this is you being pompous.  You pick.

So shotar, when they make the law that bans all guns will you obey it or disobey it???
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#42]
So there's a law that allows Police Officers to shoot my dog, if it inconveniences them while doing their duty?

I don't care.

Guess what, I speed too.
So do you.

It's a choice.
You play you pay.
You get caught, you deal with it.

You behave arrogantly, and shoot people's dogs, because the law allows you to do so, rather than go around the yard you wish to go through...

...and someday you'll pay for it.

If it's legitimate, and unavoidable, that's different.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:38:58 AM EDT
[#43]
I like and trust dogs more than I do humans, especially the po-po.
I still want a "police officer dog" to read me my rights and write up the report charging me with whatever. (Double parking maybe?)
But mostly I want to say I will be getting a new family member today. I am calling to tell the animal rescue guy I have decided to adopt that 7month old black lab.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
...I am greatly saddened and disappointed that there are so many leo's who have already decided that the best way to deal with someone's pet/family member/property is to simply blow it away.
View Quote

Is it really "so many" that just "blow it away" for no reason?

Quoted:
I have poodle and he is the BIGGEST baby you ever saw. If someone ever killed him.....well....It would not be pretty!
View Quote

It would be impossible to justify shooting a poodle (not to mention hard to hit[;)]).

Quoted:
If it's legitimate, and unavoidable, that's different.
View Quote

Exactly.  Any LEO that shoots a dog JUST because it's there, is definitely a JBT.

Not ALL LEOs immediately say "good shoot".  Not ALL LEOs choose to shoot a dog EVEN when justified.  Some of us have pets and feel the same way and would do as much as possible to avoid shooting "Fido".  I've only heard of 2 dogs being killed around here over a fairly long period of time.  One was shot because it just finished attacking a person and turned to attack police - I believe the woman had 80+ holes in her from the dog's teeth.  The other was on the officer and killed with his baton.  I also know an LEO that was bitten on duty (has scars to prove it) and he did NOT kill the dog.  Our animal control is now dispatched to handle any problem animals.
CR
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
But you see, thats just it.  I never mentioned going through anyones yard or indiscriminately killing anyone's dog.  I dealt only with attacking dogs.  Now, I presume that in most instances when a dog is killed, it is for legitimate cause.  Some here would make it seem that the police are blood thirsty and just looking for the chance to kill.  This is simply not so.  Now, thats not arrogant at all. Neither is shooting a dog, any dog that appears to be attacking you.  Now, if I jumped the fence and went into the dog's domain, perhaps I would retreat perhaps not, it would really depend on judgement based on the totality of the circumstances. The fact is saving the person on the other side might have more value than the harm to the dog.  Maybe not.  I expect most would act similarly.    
View Quote

I'm not making any judgement on whether the law should be this way or not.
I'm just saying that I'd be the judge of whether it was "right" or not.
If I sensed it was understandable, but tragic, I'd let it slide.
But if I sensed it was a rare case of an officer acting arrogantly, and killing my dog...

...that would be different.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that you McUzi?
View Quote

That is the wit with which you wish to dazzle
us?
View Quote

I'm not being funny[RED]{incapable?}[/red] nor using any wit[red]{Don't have any?}[/red]. Simple question. Simple answer. Yes or No.
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote

No.  There are AT LEAST 60 people who have met me, from here, and know who I am.

I guess to be compared to an abrasive sarcastic can be looked at as a good or bad thing -- I'll take it as the insult it was meant to be.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

And don't let me catch you in my yard fucking with any of my cats, Sgtar.....

PULL!!!!

[soapbox]

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:14:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cinci, puts in a nutshell. [:D]

[red]Ir[/red]regardless, of the "Law", the consensus seems to be, that most posters, if they percieve a violent attack on a family member taking place, will respond with force to repel the attack.

Personally, I don't care WHO is killing my family.

It's as irrelevent as the "Law" is.....
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top