Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's not the way that fingerprint readers in smartphones work.

There's not enough data there to be useful as an LEO tool.  

ScaryBlackGuns is right.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If anyone is this paranoid they shouldn't own a smartphone.  

How long do you think it will be before the Feds present Apple with a Request Letter or Warrant seeking access to their fingerprint data in order to assist an investigation?

ScaryBlackGuns is right.  

If the smart phone can verify that a particular person (fingerprint) was in a particular location (GPS/cell triangulation/WiFi) at a given time, then that is plenty of useful data for any investigation. May even be doable as a "pen register" since no actual contents of conversation are revealed - meaning no warrant needed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I just set them up to use my penis. this way NSA knows exactly what I think of them
View Quote

You think they are short and underdeveloped?

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If the smart phone can verify that a particular person (fingerprint) was in a particular location (GPS/cell triangulation/WiFi) at a given time, then that is plenty of useful data for any investigation. May even be doable as a "pen register" since no actual contents of conversation are revealed - meaning no warrant needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long do you think it will be before the Feds present Apple with a Request Letter or Warrant seeking access to their fingerprint data in order to assist an investigation?

ScaryBlackGuns is right.  

Location information is under a warrant.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's also a great way to identify witnesses, track them down, and force them to testify, maybe even to testify certain things, under the punishment of releasing other data gathered by "the man" concerning this individual's activity.

Having a nice cup of coffee one day and saw something you didn't wish you'd saw? Well now, there is undeniable proof you were there. No slipping away unharmed... Maybe you can even be coerced to say certain things based on what the NSA's caught you doing in the past? Maybe you were actually a participant in said activity yourself?

Between surveillance cameras, facial recognition, GPS in phones AND cars, cell triangulation and now fingerprinting, it's pretty damn easy to prove 100% you were in a place at a given time doing something.

Hell, the surveillance cameras might not even be what do you in. Could be the person in front of you snapped a pic of the excellent modern art painting in Starbucks and happened to get your face in the picture and then uploaded it to Facebook.

If the NSA has a backdoor to Facebook, you can bet your ass that they are processing photos that you are in and tying them to locations they know about (based on exif data and such). The possibilities are truly endless.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's also a great way to identify witnesses, track them down, and force them to testify, maybe even to testify certain things, under the punishment of releasing other data gathered by "the man" concerning this individual's activity.

Having a nice cup of coffee one day and saw something you didn't wish you'd saw? Well now, there is undeniable proof you were there. No slipping away unharmed... Maybe you can even be coerced to say certain things based on what the NSA's caught you doing in the past? Maybe you were actually a participant in said activity yourself?

Between surveillance cameras, facial recognition, GPS in phones AND cars, cell triangulation and now fingerprinting, it's pretty damn easy to prove 100% you were in a place at a given time doing something.

Hell, the surveillance cameras might not even be what do you in. Could be the person in front of you snapped a pic of the excellent modern art painting in Starbucks and happened to get your face in the picture and then uploaded it to Facebook.

If the NSA has a backdoor to Facebook, you can bet your ass that they are processing photos that you are in and tying them to locations they know about (based on exif data and such). The possibilities are truly endless.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And those possibilities are not reliant on a fingerprint lock on your phone
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
How do your super paranoid folks even make it through the day without breaking down into fits of incapacitating paranoia?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Put a dot of JB Weld on it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is why when the government put a gun to my head and forced me, literally at gunpoint, to take and carry the stupid phone I didn't take it. The gunshot wound to my head healed in time and I did regain use of my left hand.

The smartphone can't track you, can't record you, can't steal your fingerprints unless YOU let it.

I'm more worried about the surveillance cameras on the street poles here and in the drones in Texas. I can choose to not carry a cell phone but it's not so easy to choose to not go outside.

We have become a surveillance nation and Big Brother isn't going away. The NSA isn't going to stop reading your mail. The local governments aren't going to stop tracking you with your cell phone, monitoring your electrical power use, measuring how much heat your home gives off, stopping you at random checkpoints and demanding to see your papers .... these are scary times people but having someone steal an algorithm that represents my fingerprint is the least of my worries.

<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/user/AR-15_Paul/media/scary.gif.html" target="_blank">http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/AR-15_Paul/scary.gif</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All this shit bothers me.

This is why when the government put a gun to my head and forced me, literally at gunpoint, to take and carry the stupid phone I didn't take it. The gunshot wound to my head healed in time and I did regain use of my left hand.

The smartphone can't track you, can't record you, can't steal your fingerprints unless YOU let it.

I'm more worried about the surveillance cameras on the street poles here and in the drones in Texas. I can choose to not carry a cell phone but it's not so easy to choose to not go outside.

We have become a surveillance nation and Big Brother isn't going away. The NSA isn't going to stop reading your mail. The local governments aren't going to stop tracking you with your cell phone, monitoring your electrical power use, measuring how much heat your home gives off, stopping you at random checkpoints and demanding to see your papers .... these are scary times people but having someone steal an algorithm that represents my fingerprint is the least of my worries.

<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/user/AR-15_Paul/media/scary.gif.html" target="_blank">http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/AR-15_Paul/scary.gif</a>

But, the phone reads YOUR FINGERPRINTS!

It probably even allows them to remotely inventory/register your firearms and kill your dog.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Does anybody ever take the time to read the EULA of anything they use? I bet if they did, they'd think long and hard about using certain devices and software.

Not much anybody could do about it anyhow, we've become accustomed to many things and feel that we really need them, when in fact we don't.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#16]
The fingerprint scanner works well if it works as shown today. kinda impressed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Didn't the first Motorola Atrix have one?
View Quote

HP had them 9 years ago.  Nothing new.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The part I hate is that it takes a tiny blood sample and runs your DNA against Interpol and FBI case files. I guess it's a bonus that you get a free AIDS test in the process, though.
View Quote

lmfao irl
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Apple designed the infrastructure to not store any biometric data on their servers or in the iCloud.  Apple, by intentional design won't posses anything.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Just turn it on with your knuckles.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#21]
The timing of the release, on the heels of the Snowden thing, do not bode well for Iphone sales.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Does anyone believe it is consumer demand driving these advancements and additions to the consumer market?

I sure as hell do not. I have never heard anyone say, gee wouldnt it be great if my consumer electronics would take my finger prints, track where I go in real time and wouldnt it be great of it could record audio video and pictures that could be put into some database of face recognition without my consent.

Then I could be tracked and logged by who knows who everywhere I go, that would be great.

View Quote

Consumer demand doesn't drive phone development.  It never has.

Corporate innovation, competitiveness and profit motive drives phone design.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It probably even allows them to remotely inventory/register your firearms and kill your dog.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then again - so does your trashcan lid that everyone took to the curb this week.  And the beer bottles you threw in the trash.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The part I hate is that it takes a tiny blood sample and runs your DNA against Interpol and FBI case files. I guess it's a bonus that you get a free AIDS test in the process, though.
View Quote

Does it let you bypass getting printed and the CLEO signature for new cans and SBRs?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Years ago I saw a surveillance system being marketed to the government that integrated video.

The amazing thing was the way it handled the data. It could take in video from dedicated street surveillance camera, low resolution ATM or store front cameras, video and stills from drones and satellites and using geolocation and some custom software track things backwards in time. Want to know everyone that terrorist X came into contact with today ... spot him once and then play his day backwards. They track faces and autos with ease doing some amazing analysis to remove false positives. The data could be filtered to allow non-cleared people one view of the data and cleared people another view. Everything was indexed and there were machines constantly doing indexing on the data to speed searches up.

I was seeing the demo system and wasn't able to do hands-on to see if what they were showing was a smoke and mirrors demo or the thing was real. That was years and years ago ... the technology has advanced further and I would be shocked to hear that they weren't integrating the visual tracking system with things that track folks using cell phones, bluetooth, RFID and other electronic DNA.

If you want your eyes really opened wide attend the annual Black Hat/DefCon conference in Las Vegas. For a few bucks you don't even need a TS/SCI clearance to see things that will really bring out the paranoid in you.

View Quote

Post 9/11 - one of my development teams developed systems that would have a substantial number of Arfcommers jumping off bridges.

System far more capable than the silly crap discussed in this thread have been around since late 2001.  From many, many, many companies.

We deployed systems in late 9/11 that monitored wifi signals from fixed network points and mobile PDAs and plotted them on security maps.  The purpose was to locate security staff real-time on site and in the event of major damage to a building - to immediately and accurately plot damage by lost wifi points.  It was very accurate in real-time (within 5').  Those PDAs had fingerprint readers - which could be used to validate the identity of the security person requesting sensitive data or media - as well as check the fingerprint of a detained person against a database of [very bad persons].  One could also stream low-res video to the PDAs, broadcast lookouts etc etc etc etc etc.

And that was a ho-hum, tame, boring system.  10+ years ago.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Does the reader have to be used?  My fingerprints are so fucked up most of the time, a reader would lock me out of my own phone more often than not.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top