Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:03:17 PM EST
[#1]
Yep a bubble... Its like a hernia for tires.  You need a new one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:04:27 PM EST
[#2]
yes
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:03:51 PM EST
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's called an impact break. Unless it's brand new it was caused by a pot hole or hitting something in the road. The sidewall may hold up for a very long time or blow just sitting in the driveway. Replace asap.
View Quote
The last thing you want is a catastrophic sidewall failure at 80MPH on the interstate.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:06:45 PM EST
[#4]
Has anyone mentioned that you broke a belt in the sidewall ? It needs replaced.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:13:20 PM EST
[#5]
Tell the wife unit to stop hitting curbs...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:14:54 PM EST
[#6]
Pot holes cause that.  Sometimes they are fine, other times they are not.  Replace it.

I have had mine on my car for 3000 miles now like that, all is fine. But I'm a risk taker...aka...stupid.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:15:21 PM EST
[#7]
Quoted:
I was rotating the Nitto Motivo tires on my wifes VW Tourag the other day and noticed a big bump coming out of one of the sidewalls. The tires only have around 20,000 miles on them....and are in great shape.

Is this a factory defect??  Will any type of manufactures warranty cover this....or am I screwed, and just need to buy a new tire??

http://i.imgur.com/jy8ucxRg.jpg
View Quote
Yes. You may have run the tire into a curb or pothole and damaged the tirewall.
It's gonna blow. Replace it now.

It happened to me. I didn't think anything of it. When it blew, it was pretty loud and the air pressure went to zero immediately. Fortunately, I wasn't going fast and I pulled into a Burger King parking lot and changed it with the spare.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:26:30 PM EST
[#8]
I've seen that before and it never got any worse.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:43:19 PM EST
[#9]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:45:29 PM EST
[#10]
Quoted:
Sidewall failure.  No scuff that I can see, so probably OEM defect.  Return to where you bought it and they may help you out (likely best scenario is a pro-rated replacement).
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:52:13 PM EST
[#11]
At least it is a bulge.  Mine was a three inch mesquite thorn hanging out of the sidewall on wife's brand new truck. It didn't lose any air.  $165 fixed it.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:56:19 PM EST
[#12]
Seen quite a few of those. Mainly on VW's Some resulted in accidents.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:06:07 PM EST
[#13]
Quoted:
The last thing you want is a catastrophic sidewall failure at 80MPH on the interstate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's called an impact break. Unless it's brand new it was caused by a pot hole or hitting something in the road. The sidewall may hold up for a very long time or blow just sitting in the driveway. Replace asap.
I've experienced that too.  Entire sidewall ripped out and tread was next to the wheel when I got over on the shoulder. I was lucky. I was in a bit of a banked turn on the inside and it helped me to the shoulder a bit faster.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top