Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:02:04 AM EDT
[#1]
We must have a lot of shitty cops here on arfcom since NONE of them apparently write any tickets.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:10:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We must have a lot of shitty cops here on arfcom since NONE of them apparently write any tickets.

I guess I represent that statement.  I write enough tickets to pass my "Performance Objectives" which is roughly 5-10 tickets a month.  I make quite a few more stops than that and make about double that in arrests, mostly on warrants and suspended licenses on traffic stops.  Funny thing is, my wise supervisors don't include arrests in our evaluation process.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:21:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me this, what promotes safety more, a meter maid hiding in the bushes with a radar gun or a visible patrol car on the side of the road ?

So, you are saying you need the visible presence of an officer to obey the law?

I would say the hidden officer would, as it would cause people to always wonder if there was a cop ahead. Knowing they hide, people would be more observant and probably actually not speed, run lights, etc.

Personally, I can park right on the side, on an island, or in a turn lane to run radar. Still plenty of people doing 20 over for me to stop. Yep, 20 is my usual, unless it is slow, then it might go to 15.

On a sidenote, even with my lights on, morons will speed right by.

No, I'm saying a visible presence slows people down.  If you're driving and see a patrol car up ahead, people slow down increasing safety.I have no problem with busting speeders, red light runners, DWIs etc...  My problem is with the use of monetary fines collected under the guise of safety when they are nothing more than revenue collection.
AND I DO have a HUGE problem with cameras of ANY kind run by private contractors in a for profit scam.

And why do people slow down when they see that marked patrol car? Could it be that if they don't, they could get a traffic citation that has a monetary fine attached to it?
Would those same people slow down if they knew that that marked patrol car wasn't going to do squat about them running the red light, or busting down the road at 30 mph over the speed limit? Doubtful. The deterrent is the potential for a monetary fine. The patrol car is just a reminder that they are being held accountable for their behavior at that particular moment.

What If tonight, the network news outlets were to broadcast that beginning at 0800 the next morning, until 2000 hours the same day, there would be NO traffic citations issued? Police cars will still be out, but they wont be making traffic stops for 12 hours. NO TICKETS ISSUED AT ALL!!!!!
How much of a deterrent would those marked patrol cars be then? NONE!  
It's not the car. It's the penalty for non-compliance that concern people, and serves as a deterrent.

There's very little point in having a posted speed limit (or other traffic infraction, law, rule, etc...), if there is no penalty for violating same.
Why shouldn't the people who make it necessary to have traffic enforcement (violators), be the ones to fund it by paying monetary fines?

I've asked this question here before (The responses were interesting, to say the least): If not a monetary fine, then what would be an EFFECTIVE punishment for traffic violators?
And please tell us how you would administer, and FUND your solution?

Let's hear (see) it...

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:29:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Here in western NY they are writing tickets like there is no tomorrow...my Town has 3 different police organizations so it is ridiculous.  

I think the State Police are still trying to make up the budget hole left from the Bucky Philips debacle...

I just got back from a 2100 mile road trip to Oklahoma and back, the ONLY radar traps I saw were in NYS...gotta love this shithole.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:33:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I wish they WOULD write some around here, it's turned into Deathrace 2000 on the roads here locally since they laid off deputies back in May.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:35:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's called "Revenue Generation".

This....local municipalities are hurting, financially speaking, so officers will now be a bit more on the ball about moving violations, as those typically generate good revenue.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:40:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always follow the money.
It's nothing more than revenue collection and has nothing to do with safety.   Anyone who says different is a liar.

According to your piss poor statement, it looks like I am a liar then.

We don't get a penny for citations. We typically enforce state laws and the state receives a majority of the money. We aren't funded by the state. There is no budget or kickback for citations. Some even argue the citations can cost more than what the fine is.

I did write one ticket this week though. It was a no insurance in vehicle one, so it will be tossed out if the person finds their insurance. Not a lot of revenue generation on that one. I let the easy money go for doing 25 over the limit too. I must not be a good revenue generator.

Traffic enforcement is about safety, not revenue. Anyone that is doing it other than that, doesn't belong in LE or understand the concept of traffic enforcement.

Yes, you are the only officer working for the only LEA in the entire lower 48.

What you do is exactly like what every other officer and LEA does.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:41:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always follow the money.
It's nothing more than revenue collection and has nothing to do with safety.   Anyone who says different is a liar.

We don't get a penny for citations. We typically enforce state laws and the state receives a majority of the money. We aren't funded by the state. There is no budget or kickback for citations. Some even argue the citations can cost more than what the fine is.

I did write one ticket this week though. It was a no insurance in vehicle one, so it will be tossed out if the person finds their insurance. Not a lot of revenue generation on that one. I let the easy money go for doing 25 over the limit too. I must not be a good revenue generator.

Traffic enforcement is about safety, not revenue. Anyone that is doing it other than that, doesn't belong in LE or understand the concept of traffic enforcement.

There is too much logic and truth in this post that will be wasted on the GD.

Nope.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:42:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Here in Tuscaloosa I could drive like I wanted for the first 20 days of the month. Now I see em every day running radar ,sitting at Stop signs. Nothing like before. I do feel a little safer and I'm glad as I don't speed like I used to. But it just doesn't seem right , tax $$'s go down so they use another way to get it.

NO.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We have a lot of good officers on this board.

They do, occasionally, have problems believing that any other agency or officer behaves differently from themselves.  Many times they are told that some small municipalities are all about revenue generation.... yet they go on and on with the tired old line that its always about traffic safety..... blech.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep.

But tickets are issued to promote safety, not generate revenue.

At least that's what I have been told.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#12]
well 3 or 4 tickets later this year I would have to say an outstanding YES!!! seems as if California is trying to balance their budget with my wallet. Fuck schwarzenegger
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#13]
No, but I have noticed an increase in the number of red-light cameras.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, try living in the Great State of (Denial) Michigan..

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081118/METRO/811180402/1409/METRO

For fun, search on WARREN POLICE OFFICER DAVID KANAPSKY

Some info from the link-
"Among the police agencies that have taken advantage of the exemption allowing ticket mandates:

• In Trenton, traffic officers are required to write at least 15 tickets a month, or they will suffer on annual performance reviews.

• In Rochester, officers are required to average 1.5 tickets per eight-hour shift, which equates to 7.5 tickets per week, or 30 per month.

• Livonia officers are required to average two tickets per shift.

• Officers in Oak Park must issue at least one ticket every other day in order to be rated as "satisfactory" on performance evaluations.

• Redford Township Police enacted a policy last year that gave officers one hour's worth of overtime pay for every two traffic citations issued. But that program was scrapped after community activists protested.

• In Dearborn Heights, officers must write 12 to 15 tickets per week. "
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wish I had time to run traffic. With all the unemployed assholes using the economy as an excuse to do dirt, we've been running our butts off. Our call volume has doubled in the last year.

Doc

I bet you do, big daddy.  Being a tax collector is so much better than enforcing laws where people are victims!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish I had time to run traffic. With all the unemployed assholes using the economy as an excuse to do dirt, we've been running our butts off. Our call volume has doubled in the last year.

Doc

I bet you do, big daddy.  Being a tax collector is so much better than enforcing laws where people are victims!

I think that is what he's saying?  He is out there kicking ass on the criminals and doesn't have time to sit around and run radar...

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:41:28 AM EDT
[#17]
My town police dept. is notorious for revenue ticketing. (Lexington, SC) I have neighbors who have been ticketed for as little as 3 mph over the limit. They also have a reputation for harrassing young drivers. If you are 25 or younger, you are much more likely to be pulled over and have your vehicle searched. I have seen as many as three searches going on at once. I am not talking gangbangers either, just ordinary looking young people in ordinary cars.

Coincidentally, there was a big article in the paper this week about how SC has so many speed trap towns. They showed how some towns are taking in as much as 60% of their annual revenue from tickets. So it is a big problem.

Even the state troopers are going for more tickets. I see big speed traps being worked several days a week on I-20, where the speed limit changes coming into the Columbia area, from 70 to 60, on the down hill side of a big hill. They get 10-12 patrol cars and just steadily pull people over, since you cannot see the new limit til you are over the hill, too late. These are nothing but revenue tickets, they have absolutely nothing to do with safety. I have literally seen 10 cars pulled over at one time, tickets being written as fast as the officers can write.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a few friends in LE and they say that their department is telling them to write tickets for anything and everything.

Fun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My town police dept. is notorious for revenue ticketing. (Lexington, SC) I have neighbors who have been ticketed for as little as 3 mph over the limit. They also have a reputation for harrassing young drivers. If you are 25 or younger, you are much more likely to be pulled over and have your vehicle searched. I have seen as many as three searches going on at once. I am not talking gangbangers either, just ordinary looking young people in ordinary cars.

Coincidentally, there was a big article in the paper this week about how SC has so many speed trap towns. They showed how some towns are taking in as much as 60% of their annual revenue from tickets. So it is a big problem.

Even the state troopers are going for more tickets. I see big speed traps being worked several days a week on I-20, where the speed limit changes coming into the Columbia area, from 70 to 60, on the down hill side of a big hill. They get 10-12 patrol cars and just steadily pull people over, since you cannot see the new limit til you are over the hill, too late. These are nothing but revenue tickets, they have absolutely nothing to do with safety. I have literally seen 10 cars pulled over at one time, tickets being written as fast as the officers can write.

I have been told, repeatedly, that what you describe is impossible and unknown in the anals of law enforcement.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:07:55 AM EDT
[#20]
i don't really car because i don't speed anymore- i wasn't getting anywhere any faster and I was raising my blood pressure and temper too much.  traffic lights are the great equalizer of the road, but I digress.  yes, i have seen plenty of piggies poking around.  many departments were looking at laying off a few patrolmen, then suddenly, revenue was very important to them all.  It is hardly in the spirit of the rule of law to selectively enforce traffic laws by tougher standards just to secure your own salary.  I have no problem with consistent enforcement to discourage danger.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:09:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always follow the money.

You are a liar or very naive.
I drive a Truck and we see the weigh stations close when you guys get your quota.

Don't bother telling us it isn't first and foremost about the quota, it's part of your job performance rating.

Where do you come up with this crap?

Either someones telling you lies or youre just making shit up.

My "job performance rating" has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how many tickets I write.  I could write ZERO tickets per month and no one would ever know the difference.  Now granted there are stats that go to our supervisors, but thats just to help them know which officers are being proactive and which ones are being lazy.  Because the fact of the matter is that during a 10 hour shift you are GOING to see people speeding....what are we supposed to do, let them continue to speed?  The ONLY time that I am writing more tickets than usual is when its a slow day and call volume is low.  But thats just common sense...if I'm at a house breaking or assault I cant be on the road.  And vice versa.....if Im not on calls at businesses and homes, then Im GOING to be on the road more and obviously will see more cars speeding, running red lights, etc.  Its a very simple concept.

For the people who are seeing more traffic enforcement, could be a good sign that other crimes in the area are going down....but of course that wouldnt really make sense in this economy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:13:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I actually write fewer tickets now because people are hurting. I suck as a traffic cop anyway. I make stops to arrest bad guys not for revenue. I write lots of warnings. Unless the violation is dangerous.  We (the cops) do not get a penny of the fines.The state gets the majority. Now if I got 20%...game on suckers  Just kidding.

To be completely honest I am the same way.  90% of the people I pull over for equipment violations and/or speeding are let go with a verbal warning.  Traffic enforcement is a good tool to find the people that have warrants, run drugs, etc.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#23]
so whats the big deal. follow the law and I guarantee you will never be pulled over. but I also have noticed highway patrol everywhere now, but always in the same areas. of course here our state is bankrupt so I guess they need more money any way they can get it, the state has just taken 10% more from our paychecks, but its not a tax increase they say its a loan.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's called "Revenue Generation".

I go thru Cairo ILL 2x a day & am convinced it's the only way they have to generate income..
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it is a dangerous game they play.  Sooner or later they'll run into some out of work guy down on his luck, and slap a $500 ticket on him.  He just might take offense and decide to do something about it.  

Just sayin'... you don't mess with a guy with nothing to lose.

Oh you are right...... the police should not do anything out of fear they might run into someone that wants to commit a crime

Had one of those last night. He was down on his luck, facing some federal indictments and was ready to fight. A tough gang banger. According to your logic, I should have ran because I may come into contact with someone like that. Oh well, not doing my job and protecting the public won't be stopped by using your "paranoid" way of thinking.

Pure revenue generation is what I'm talking about.  Be doubly careful.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#26]
The local newspaper had an article I saw a couple weeks ago where the chief of police told his officers he wanted 30% more speed tickets written than what they normally write to make up for budget shortfalls....  So basically he said, hey we're fucking dumb with your money so rather than cut some costs and be fiscal with the money, we'll just keep up our stupid spending and ticket you for shit we otherwise wouldn't ticket you for...  Bastards
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#27]
According to our Municipal Court's public access system, looking at the traffic case numbers, traffic cases filed has been declining since 06.     Case #2009TRD02334 was filed on 11/2/09, in 08 case#  2008TRD02334 was filed on 10/15/08, same # filed on 9/27/07, 8/24/06, and  9/15/05.    

So they have been declining since 2006 here.

I do write tickets, but not an obscene number of them.   I've written about 100 so far this year, for several different things (some as a result of accidents), however none of the speeding tickets have been UNDER 72mph in a 55 zone (The highest was 92mph to a 16 year old kid that had his license for two months).      Ours are kind of expensive to post bond so I try to make sure they are well earned.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#28]
They just raised the price of standard parking violations here in PHX from $31 to $57 and Handicap parking violations from $250 to $460. Their big selling point was that it would raise revenue to the city by about $650,000 a year.

Fucking assholes.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I would suggest that if you are driving in a manner that alone gives you the ability to notice a drop or increase in traffic tickets the problem is not the ticket writers the problem is you. And your first sentence sort of proves that out.

If you drive any way you want for the first 20 days of a month than you:

1. Need to grow up
2. Need to grow up
3. Thank God every night that you do not live near me and will likely never harm someone in my family
4. Need to grow up

Does anyone have concrete proof I mean proof not bullshit but proof that cops now or have ever buttoned down operations the last few days of the month to meet quotas?

Here's an idea. Drive like an adult, drive like you have some sense, drive like your life and the lives of others depends on it and we'll all be happier.

I think I have gotten 3 tickets since I started driving with a learners permit at 15 in Georgia and I am now 44.  And interestingly enough all 3 of them were totally my fault and it is doubtful that the LE that stopped me did so due to a quota.

1. Speeding ticket I75 South of Macon where I grew up
2. Registration expired on my jeep because I was moving from Hawaii in a week and I was being cheap
3. I made an illegal left hand turn in Millibrae, Ca. at a place that is close to being a cheesy sign position and probably on purpose but ultimately I should have seen it and been paying attention and not made the turn.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think it is a dangerous game they play.  Sooner or later they'll run into some out of work guy down on his luck, and slap a $500 ticket on him.  He just might take offense and decide to do something about it.  

What a stupid fuckin thing to say. Just sayin... Anyone that does as your thinly veiled post insinuates, deserves to either be beat down and shot or shot then beat down. Anyone that would hurt a cop because THEY fucked up and broke a traffic rule, law regulation whatever and then decides to take it out on the cop is a Darwin award candidate.

So far the responses here are folks who apparently refuse to take any responsibility for their own actions.  I am not sticking up for cops I am sticking up for right and wrong and for those of us that know the difference and who when and if we screw up are willing to take responsibility for it.

Can anyone show me proof that towns have cops work harder to give tickets and put more cops out there as some have suggested to gain revenue? The reason I ask is the math doesn't add up. If anything a town may be able to add pennies to their slush fund if they increase tickets. I would imagine due to the costs associated with the paperwork, cops time, court etc. that a ticket may MAY provide what 1% profit and that is being generous.

Anyhow I'd love to see some proof in the form of something official that says towns across the US are using tickets for revenue generation. I see people make this claim all the time and have yet to see a shred of official evidence that it is true. and don't even try the whole its covered up... Bullshit if its true there is proof readily available. So let's see it. I would LOVE to be proven wrong on this... Honestly.

And ultimately unless the cop is making the incident up if you get a ticket for breaking the traffic laws who's fault is that?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always follow the money.

I never said the local PDs got the revenue, some do, some don't but the bottom line is SOMEONE sure does get the money.  
And please explain how a monetary fine increases safety.  I remember the owner of a dealership I worked for coming into the office and tossing his tickets on the desk of the accounting girl and telling her "pay em"
He drove however he wanted and just paid the ticket as a cost of doing as he damn well pleased.  Now the POINTS and the possibility of LOSING his license, THAT promotes safety.
Tell me this, what promotes safety more, a meter maid hiding in the bushes with a radar gun or a visible patrol car on the side of the road ?

Prove it... Prove someone is having cops suddenly enforce the law for revenue generation. Literally one of the more stupid theories that goes on her from time to time.

Folks put up or shut up... Prove that tickets are revenue generation.

A website full of folks that on a daily basis complain about how screwed up and inefficient and wasteful gov't is suddenly finds that gov't is efficient and squared away enough to gain revenue in an amount worthy of what you guys are claiming...

The more realistic scenario is some City Council person or town rich guy calls the chief of PD and complains that people are speeding or whatever in an area and it drives up the attention.  

For this to even remotely ring true EVERY ticket would have to be pain on time in full with no contest, the police force and city in all areas regarding the tickets would have to run at peak efficiency and reliability. the moment a percentage of the population says screw I ain't paying this ticket or the court system wastes paper or money on ink cartridges or any other logistical BS that eats in to the supposed profits.

I can't see any city or jurisdiction running efficiently enough to make revenue generated by tickets even remotely adding to the areas bank account. Not even close. And I'd bet most run in the red.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes.

I've never been issued a citation in the 30 years. I got one from a city cop patrolling private property who gave me a ticket for off-road driving ... I was 20 feet off the pavement ... $5 a foot. The city building folks are out and being really aggressive. I put that to use to have the corrections officer who parks on the corner in front of the hydrant corrected and the hippies down the end of the street with seven cars fined. Works for me, works against me.

For centuries when the king needed more money they sent his henchmen out to fleece the peasants. Today the city sends it's legions of police and inspectors out to do the same.

There are enough laws, rules and regulations on the books that they can find something to fine you for if they really want to.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
YES! Big time, i drive several hundred a day and was thinking the same thing.

So are you saying that the extra cops on the road and extra effort is free? You do realize that extra cops means extra expenses.

You'd think as much and as often as this myth appears in society someone would have provided loads of proof about this topic and there would be scandal all over the place and it would be so well known and proven that no one would even argue it. Because it would be a fact proven out by evidence that gov'ts use tickets to generate revenue.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always follow the money.

I did not know that the VAT- Vatican(?) had a police force? I have seen pics of the Swiss guard though.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No increase here.  People are driving as if they are on Valium.  And texting at every traffic light.  I leer at the girls until they notice me.  And give the little punks my Billy Idol snarl.

That was you?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I've lived in this county in Idaho for five years. I have seen people do dumb ass moves while driving in proximity to a county sheriff and I have to wonder if that officer is blind.
The city in which I live is contracted with the sheriff's office and our city has had to cut back on those services by almost half.
That being said, I have seen the deputies that remain writing more tickets than ever and units set up with radar in places I never saw before either.
Doesn't bum me out as too many looneys here from CA drive with the bravado of a bullfighter anyway.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#37]
sort of, the 60 is bitch with those damn cameras......
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You can say that, but the fines are a conflict of interest and do nothing to keep people safe or encourage good driving. When you get right down to it, it is just a demand for bribe money so the government will forget that you broke the law.

I say people should be flogged for driving badly instead of fined. It'd remove the conflict of interest AND truly stop people from driving badly.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Usually, there is like 'season' for traffic tickets around here but they've been running traps all year.

I was even snagged by one.  Just got a warning though..."on account of my intimidating manner."

(or maybe it was just because I haven't had a ticket in 5 years)

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I pass no less than 6 NJ State Troopers on my way to work every day, sitting on the turnpike or I-295. Since last year when NJ announced their "budget crisis", those NJSP's who were usually cruising the interstate or sitting off in the shoulder have been actively pursuing cars. No added police presence is needed. They are simply being instructed to make more stops.

My wife was pulled over because a trooper "thought" her seatbelt wasn't on properly. He then walked around her car and looked for an offense to ticket her for. In the end he wrote her a seatbelt ticket anyway. It wasn't worth the time and effort to fight it since the NJ law is discretionary, and since he claimed that the seatbelt wasn't properly adjusted, the citation would still stand in court.

I was pulled over by a trooper for changing a song on my ipod. he claimed i was texting on my cell phone. I showed him my ipod on the seat, and my phone was in my jeans pocket. i had to unbuckle my seatbelt and sit up in my seat to get the phone out (the otterbox is a pain in the ass). he still wrote the ticket and told me to take it to court but he would be there to testify that i was in fact on my phone.

my neighbor is a LEO in our township, he has been instructed since last year to double the amount of traffic stops and citations he makes. he hates it. he came from a township right outside of philadelphia where he was actually doing police work catching criminals, to a more rural area, and now all he does is issue traffic citations.

mandatory quotas and using traffic citations as a source of revenue are not a myth... the police department budget has already been set aside at the beginning of the year... whether an officer is sitting on the side of the road or actively pursuing criminals, they are still getting paid the same amount of money. same goes for the municipal court staff... it doesn't defy logic to believe that the state/local government would demand more bang for their buck and increase citations when the economy is slow. the resources are already paid for.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yes.

I've never been issued a citation in the 30 years. I got one from a city cop patrolling private property who gave me a ticket for off-road driving ... I was 20 feet off the pavement ... $5 a foot. The city building folks are out and being really aggressive. I put that to use to have the corrections officer who parks on the corner in front of the hydrant corrected and the hippies down the end of the street with seven cars fined. Works for me, works against me.

For centuries when the king needed more money they sent his henchmen out to fleece the peasants. Today the city sends it's legions of police and inspectors out to do the same.

20 feet off the road is not public property, unless it was.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can say that, but the fines are a conflict of interest and do nothing to keep people safe or encourage good driving. When you get right down to it, it is just a demand for bribe money so the government will forget that you broke the law. I say people should be flogged for driving badly instead of fined.

Damn OUCH !

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Cops today, "To Collect and Serve."

Bill

The old "Protect" part is going the way of the Dodo bird, it has now been replaced with "Collect" for the revenues they collect.
The protect is now writing up reports of what happened, after the fact.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#44]
I've seen what looks like more police cars and more people pulled over lately, but I think there's more traffic too so who knows.

Quoted:
Prove it... Prove someone is having cops suddenly enforce the law for revenue generation. Literally one of the more stupid theories that goes on her from time to time.

Folks put up or shut up... Prove that tickets are revenue generation.

A website full of folks that on a daily basis complain about how screwed up and inefficient and wasteful gov't is suddenly finds that gov't is efficient and squared away enough to gain revenue in an amount worthy of what you guys are claiming...

The more realistic scenario is some City Council person or town rich guy calls the chief of PD and complains that people are speeding or whatever in an area and it drives up the attention.  

For this to even remotely ring true EVERY ticket would have to be pain on time in full with no contest, the police force and city in all areas regarding the tickets would have to run at peak efficiency and reliability. the moment a percentage of the population says screw I ain't paying this ticket or the court system wastes paper or money on ink cartridges or any other logistical BS that eats in to the supposed profits.

I can't see any city or jurisdiction running efficiently enough to make revenue generated by tickets even remotely adding to the areas bank account. Not even close. And I'd bet most run in the red.

It doesn't have to make sense, it's the government!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a stupid fuckin thing to say. Just sayin... Anyone that does as your thinly veiled post insinuates, deserves to either be beat down and shot or shot then beat down. Anyone that would hurt a cop because THEY fucked up and broke a traffic rule, law regulation whatever and then decides to take it out on the cop is a Darwin award candidate.

So far the responses here are folks who apparently refuse to take any responsibility for their own actions.  I am not sticking up for cops I am sticking up for right and wrong and for those of us that know the difference and who when and if we screw up are willing to take responsibility for it.

Can anyone show me proof that towns have cops work harder to give tickets and put more cops out there as some have suggested to gain revenue? The reason I ask is the math doesn't add up. If anything a town may be able to add pennies to their slush fund if they increase tickets. I would imagine due to the costs associated with the paperwork, cops time, court etc. that a ticket may MAY provide what 1% profit and that is being generous.

Anyhow I'd love to see some proof in the form of something official that says towns across the US are using tickets for revenue generation. I see people make this claim all the time and have yet to see a shred of official evidence that it is true. and don't even try the whole its covered up... Bullshit if its true there is proof readily available. So let's see it. I would LOVE to be proven wrong on this... Honestly.

And ultimately unless the cop is making the incident up if you get a ticket for breaking the traffic laws who's fault is that?

I can tell you that a small town in my area does use TE for revenue generation.   IIRC the town made state wide news for said "speed trap."  They have a chief and 3-4 full time officers and 5-10 reservists for a town of appx. 1100 people.  

The town is in SE Colorado, I'll bet any number of people in this area can name that town.  I'm just one guy, but as for SE CO, yeah, there's one.  No, I won't name the town.  

You are naive if you don't think this happens in small towns across the US.

I agree that if you don't speed and you're not a dick this isn't a problem.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You feel safer?  WTF?  Are you an old lady of something?  

I drive 150 miles to work and you better believe the police are out in force.  

They like money, just as we all do.  Difference is, they have the power to take it.  Legally.

Near my house is a couple of the worst roads for fatality wrecks  in AL so I do feel a little better but I wish they could do something about those Fng tailgators  they get closer and closer , So I drive slower and slower
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yes.

Snap your fingers when you walk........it keeps the elephants away.  Want proof?  Ever seen an elephant while walking down the street?

1 ticket in 30 does not prove any "cause––effect" relationship.

Truth is, for my area anyway, we are writing LESS tickets because of the economy.  I'm not about to  hit someone up with a $200-300 ticket in tough financial times.

Can't talk for all areas though.

Keep snapping your fingers though............it worked for the first 30 years.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Listen Richard I haven't had an accident when I was driving for 20 years never one where I  was to blame with  nearly 800,000 miles driven and no tickets or pull overs in  the last ten. In fact about 5 months ago I drag raced the county Sheriff Mr. Sexton in his unmarked Ford beat him and due to not having a ticket that he could find he didn't cite me ,he was also in a lane that he shouldn't have been in a left hand turn lane that he wanted to pass me in.  So I'm pretty careful  LUCKY,  and or a  good driver. I just was stating a fact that if I was in a hurry and needed to get there quick I could with no real threat of getting cited . But if do not notice the fact you see one pull over every few weeks to 5 in a day on a regular basis you have your head DEEP in your ASS .  I came from St. Louis where you drive like you should or you will lose your privileges in a year or so to here where they don't want to ruffle feathers or something I don't know. Safety wasn't in the factor it seemed until now when the $$'s low. I am on the Officers side I really appreciate their  service  and think they should be paid more . I tried to get in to three departments when I was younger to no avail. I never implied that there are QUOTAS either but what they said in St.Louis county is you should write one a shift on average , seems fair enough to me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#50]
As I get older I notice that I drive a bit slower, therefore haven't had many tickets in the last few years.

Haven't seen anybody handing out junk tickets for revenue generation around here, FWIW.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top