[#1]
no, page 2 own tho
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Rare Chode Viper...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I like snakes

but I have to invoke jmzd4s life rule #2: Never have a pet that has the ability to kill you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#4]
WOW! Not a snake fan but they are beautiful...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forgive the initial response.

I'm just a lil surprised as far as collecting venomous snakes. I think with the proper safety I bet it's a cool hobby. I just tend to be a lil wary around poisonous snakes as I've had a couple close calls with water mocassans....Very cool though

Again sorry for the first response.

If it helps, I've never met a soul who kept water moccasins.  Those things are very aggressive.  I am sure some folks do, but I never like handling overly aggressive species, even the non-venomous kind.  Coach whips come to mind as an aggressive breed that is "harmless" that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
They really aren't that bad.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:36:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Does anyone literally "handle" venomous snakes?  They use those steel rods with bent ends, right?  

They do if they want to live.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does anyone literally "handle" venomous snakes?  They use those steel rods with bent ends, right?  

That's what I thought.  Cool pics!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Forgive the initial response.

I'm just a lil surprised as far as collecting venomous snakes. I think with the proper safety I bet it's a cool hobby. I just tend to be a lil wary around poisonous snakes as I've had a couple close calls with water mocassans....Very cool though

Again sorry for the first response.

If it helps, I've never met a soul who kept water moccasins.  Those things are very aggressive.  I am sure some folks do, but I never like handling overly aggressive species, even the non-venomous kind.  Coach whips come to mind as an aggressive breed that is "harmless" that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
They really aren't that bad.
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/DeWittreptiles/IMG_0023.jpg

That Cottonmouth is beautiful.

The only one that I have ever seen in the wild I shot.(its color was that of what appeared to be brake dust... I thought it was a hubcap turned upside down) To my suprise It was a 46" long Cottonmouth whose diameter was the size of my forearm (pretty damn big for a snake) with a head the size of my fist. The fangs were 3/4" long ang I milked abouy a shot glass of venom out of him. I really wish I had not shot him as I have NEVER heard of one growing that long. (prolly could have been some kind of record-breaker) I DID howerver make a guitar strap out of his hide though so ALL wasn't lost.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That Cottonmouth is beautiful.

The only one that I have ever seen in the wild I shot.(its color was that of what appeared to be brake dust... I thought it was a hubcap turned upside down) To my suprise It was a 46" long Cottonmouth whose diameter was the size of my forearm (pretty damn big for a snake) with a head the size of my fist. The fangs were 3/4" long ang I milked abouy a shot glass of venom out of him. I really wish I had not shot him as I have NEVER heard of one growing that long. (prolly could have been some kind of record-breaker) I DID howerver make a guitar strap out of his hide though so ALL wasn't lost.

pics of guitar strap?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:59:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I can do that. Give me a min.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#11]
My most recent experience was July 6 of last year.

We had lost our dog July 4. She broke her lead and took off into the brush. We figured she trailed the river bed below. Well I found a little plot of land along the dry part of the bed and there was a small patch of water in the middle. I walked over the hill and was about to put my foot down when I see a big Black snake dart out right in front of me into the water. Good sized one too!

Definately a moccasan.

Never seen a rattler in the wild though
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Here it is: Sorry for the shitty pix quality..My "crip-it" phone sucks at taking quality pix.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool thread!

I have worked with everything from garters to king cobras for about 15 years.  I am partial to hognose and ball pythons.  Don't have any now due to kids and lack of place to put them. Will have more someday though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok excuse my response but WHY THE &*^% WOULD YOU WANT A VENOMOUS SNAKE AS A PET?!

Because they demand the most respect....kinda like owning a lamborghini...no need for such power but you appreciate it!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I miss them buggers...they are very vocal animals and lightning fast when striking!

I've tried Retic several times, so now it's your turn!

Can you send me a six pack of baby Gaboons?? IM me your Paypal to finalize!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#16]

You just love tormenting me with those Gaboon pics, don't ya!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I miss them buggers...they are very vocal animals and lightning fast when striking!

I've tried Retic several times, so now it's your turn!

Can you send me a six pack of baby Gaboons?? IM me your Paypal to finalize!

Here is a tiger retic I had a few years ago

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/canadianbacon/my%20%20tiger%20retic/reticshed3052106.jpg

if you really want a gaboon viper they are very easy to get ahold of;-)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I loved my Gaboon- had a whole slew of hot stuff: Egyptian cobra, monocle cobra, forest cobra, Gaboon viper, puff adder, trans-pecos copperhead, mojave rattler, pygmy rattlers, golden eyelash viper, western diamondback, eastern copperhead and a bunch of non-venomous.

When I moved in with the wife (before we were married) I made a deal that if anything got out they would be gone. Had them for another 3 years then broke a cardinal rule and left the door to the snake room open (it was a sealed room). The Egyptian got off the hook, booked down the corridor and disappeared into the living room. After 5 hours my other friend into hot snakes and I found her wrapped around the springs in the couch (we heard her "huffing" when we moved the couch. Finally got her extricated and back in the cage.

A week later they were all sold off

You had a lost fucking COBRA in your house!!!Fuck that!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Im fine as long as the non-native ones don't make it into our swamps.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever been bitten?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever been bitten?

I use snake hooks to get my harmless small female out of her cage as she's a tad hyper....I've been bit but never from my "hots"!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Awesome series of pics!!!!  You didn't harm them did you?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Older pic...

More recent pic...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#25]
never made the leap into working with hots
but I still act like a 5 year old when I see a gaboon viper
your pythons/boas have some nice coloration to them
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Great looking collection.

First post.....Surinams?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone have any pictures of diamondbacks/rattlers? Something about them that I think is cool. Would never think of owning one though, you guys are crazy!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I saw a snake today and may actually buy it.  I've never owned one before, but this snake was so cool looking.  I'm going to research and see if it's appropriate for a first-time snake owner.

What do the experts think?

Amelanistic Albino California Kingsnake (captive-bred.)

It was about 18" long, and had the most beautiful coloration.  The purplish tint you see was iridescent.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I saw a snake today and may actually buy it.  I've never owned one before, but this snake was so cool looking.  I'm going to research and see if it's appropriate for a first-time snake owner.

It was about 18" long, and had the most beautiful coloration.  The purplish tint you see was iridescent.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2302/2292220397_3fbb80edbe.jpg

When I was researching good pet snakes, kingsnakes were highly rated.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2302/2292220397_3fbb80edbe.jpg

WANT.

I had a 5' long california kingsnake for a while, gave it to my cousin. That snake is cool, very mellow.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#31]
I went through a huge reptile phase from about 10 yrs old to 21. Had everything from chinese water dragons to Crested Geckos.
e
Loved snakes, and had quite a few. When my ex and I got engages she was seriously afraid of snakes and lizards, and a lot of my collection went to local breeders and friends.

Dated a girl from Norfolk VA few years back that was real big in to Hots. Had a Gaboon and something else, don't remembered.

I'd kill to get another Piebald Ball Python.

Maybe I'll start looking again.

Retic do you breed RTBs and BPs?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Holy shit, he's more like a worm than a snake.  He's (or she I have no clue) really short and thick.

Hey now, don't make fun.  I make do with what I've got.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#33]
BEAUTIFUL PICS GUYS!    Hell yes I'm into snakes, it's been an obsession since I was a little kid!  Right now I've got 2 sick board lines that I am almost always guaranteed to find something.  I cruise a road about 15 minutes away and it's always a winner, I'm talking awesome finds.

On my property in E TX my neighbor has spotted a few pygmy rattlers and I'm going crazy trying to get the little fuckers.... I keep telling him not to kill off all the snakes, he says he hasn't killed the pygmys cuz he knows I want them but he's been blasting copperheads like its cool.

I need to get a pic of my gear and maybe start a snake gear thread!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Great looking collection.

First post.....Surinams?

Yeah surinams....all from great breeders:-)

nice porsche....sadly I just parted out my turbo supra:-(
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
BEAUTIFUL PICS GUYS!    Hell yes I'm into snakes, it's been an obsession since I was a little kid!  Right now I've got 2 sick board lines that I am almost always guaranteed to find something.  I cruise a road about 15 minutes away and it's always a winner, I'm talking awesome finds.

On my property in E TX my neighbor has spotted a few pygmy rattlers and I'm going crazy trying to get the little fuckers.... I keep telling him not to kill off all the snakes, he says he hasn't killed the pygmys cuz he knows I want them but he's been blasting copperheads like its cool.

I need to get a pic of my gear and maybe start a snake gear thread!

Snakes and gear for the win!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/canadianbacon/misc%20snakes/rtbgun.jpg
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Anyone have any pictures of diamondbacks/rattlers? Something about them that I think is cool. Would never think of owning one though, you guys are crazy!
Hypo western diamondback

Eastern Diamondback

Babies

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I went through a huge reptile phase from about 10 yrs old to 21. Had everything from chinese water dragons to Crested Geckos.

e

Loved snakes, and had quite a few. When my ex and I got engages she was seriously afraid of snakes and lizards, and a lot of my collection went to local breeders and friends.

Dated a girl from Norfolk VA few years back that was real big in to Hots. Had a Gaboon and something else, don't remembered.

I'd kill to get another Piebald Ball Python.

Maybe I'll start looking again.

Retic do you breed RTBs and BPs?

A few.

Ghost black pastel

Pewter

Cinnamon

Bumble bee

Humble bee

Spider

Russo Blue Eye Leucistic

Heterozygous Russo Lucy

Piebald

Pinstripe

Super Pastel

Hypo Pastel

Pastel

Albino

Axanthic (VPI Line)

Calico (going to shed)

Albinos and het albinos hatching

And some Boas

Albino

Super Hypo

North Brazilian redtail

There's a lot more but this gives you an idea of some of the morphs I work with. You can see hypo, albino, and normal baby boas along with super blast and lemon blast ball pythons on the first page of this thread.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Though I'm not into morphs that is an awesome collection!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd have maybe one small snake as a pet, but no way on earth am I going to have anything more dangerous than a hognose!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Though I'm not into morphs that is an awesome collection!!!

I have lots more that aren't morphs. Especially the venomous. Once you get a few thousand animals it's nice to have morphs to mix it up a bit. Cleaning 400 baby balls is a lot more fun when you open a tray and see a killer queen or a piebald vs just 400 norms.

I love pure locality animals though. Like rhino vipers and king cobras, Ituri forest rhinos are nice, just like Chinese kings, not to mention Shri Lankan spectacle cobras.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a chance to get an albino monocled cobra about 10 years ago. It would have been interesting to keep it and study it, but the guy who had it was crazy. He wanted to trade a 6' + western diamondback for it.

I've seen some, caught one. Don't see too many of them.

I wish I still had the pics of the one I caught. Fucker was huge.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I had a chance to get an albino monocled cobra about 10 years ago. It would have been interesting to keep it and study it, but the guy who had it was crazy. He wanted to trade a 6' + western diamondback for it.

Sunset Monocle. I don't have pics of any of my normal albinos.

Older animal. They have more orange than the younger ones do. (This guy wouldn't hood for anything.)

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sunset Monocle. I don't have pics of any of my normal albinos.

Older animal. They have more orange than the younger ones do. (This guy wouldn't hood for anything.)

Yep, those are good representations of the snake he was offering in trade.

Fascinating critters.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#44]
This was one of my male mono's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/canadianbacon/2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/canadianbacon/3.jpg

sadly my computer died and all my other cobra pics died with it:-(

cobras are my fav snakes but they shit waaaay to much and often for me to have a large collection!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Man, that hypomelanistic WD Rattlesnake is flat gorgeous.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Do snakes have any personality? Can they identify and bond with their owners?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#47]
I love these snake threads.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes they have personality!!!  Infact my big female Surinam will come out of her cage and into my hands on her own 99% of the time while the other boas try to get away and don't enjoy being messed with...

No I personally don't think they "bond"...they couldnt care less about anything....snakes are not "tame" but rather tolerant of you over time....that's my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Reptiles in general have pea brains.  They are almost all instinct.  I have felt affection for my animals, but I doubt they have ever felt any affection for me.  As for identifying their owners, sort of.  You can take a wild snake and with enough handling tame it down.  Not a real identification of owner as much as showing they can learn to be not so wild when handled in general.  That's just my experience anyway.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Also don't think that just cause I love snakes that I must not like dogs....I'd LOVE to have a dog but I'm single and work 12 hour night shifts...aaand I'm not aloud to have a dog where I live!  

Some people say "why have snakes when you can't touch or hold them"....why to people have model cars if they do play with them?!?!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top