BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:44:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a power supply its about 3 times more then the computer needs as well so it leaves room for upgrades, look closer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Might want to put a decent power supply in that cart.
There is a power supply its about 3 times more then the computer needs as well so it leaves room for upgrades, look closer.

he said to add a decent power supply...

Logisys is known for LEDs & case mods, their power supplys are junk. With only 16 amps on the 12v rail, I wouldn't even keep that brick as a back up.

Also that P33 chip set motherboard is from like 2006
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:05:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Well yeah that's sort of the point, you're always want to want better, especially when it comes to gaming PC's. Or a PC in general. But, when you're on a budget and can't afford all the crazy at once, you can do it in stages. You're always going to have to upgrade, we'll call it Christmas presents for the rest of your life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats hardly a "gaming" PC, those are borderline WalMart desktop pc specs bro.

Could you make one for the same price and make it legit? I think not. Bruh..  
That's sort of the point. At this price point there aren't any "gaming PCs", unless your idea of a game is like Civ V with the lowest graphics settings and 5min waits between turns. Anyone who does actual gaming is going to want to drop at least double.  
Well yeah that's sort of the point, you're always want to want better, especially when it comes to gaming PC's. Or a PC in general. But, when you're on a budget and can't afford all the crazy at once, you can do it in stages. You're always going to have to upgrade, we'll call it Christmas presents for the rest of your life.

I get that. I always do budget builds with an eye on upgrades or long term purchases. But what's the point of buying a dedicated gaming machine without being able to you know actually game on it right away? It's like buying half a sports car for the track... Or trying to track a corolla or something

To add something more constructive, basics I wouldn't cheap on for such a build:

1. Solid PSU from a good brand with solid amps on the 12s, usually $70+

2. Solid motherboard from a good brand with a socket that's got at least one good upgrade you can plan on and has a chipset with decent unlocked abilities, usually $80+

3. A decent case $45-75 at least

4. A decent 1080 monitor $100+ (Or assume it's already there, ok)

5. Decent sound, probably headphones $60+ (Okay, we can wait on this for later and use crappy $15 speakers or ibuds orwhatever)

(I'll assume we've got a cd drive, and a keyboard  mouse combo worth it's weight, which is actually a big assumption)

6. At least a 500gb 7200 drive $50 or less from a good manufacturer

So that's the stuff that'll last 4 years through one or two upgrades, possibly much longer. Then you've got what you need for NOW to play at middle quality and performance:

7. i5 quad core over 3ghz or equivalent $130+

8. Video card in decent budget bracket $150

9. 8gb of ram that's around 1600/9cl, about $80

10. Really should get a SSD, at least plan for it within 6mo

Anyway, my math says that's more than $290. Close to $700 assuming you've got peripherals, an OS, and at least one or two internals already. Excludes the OS, which is another $80-120 for MSFT. I know I'm spending a lot on the first 6, but those are investments that will last. A $30 PSU isn't making it 5 years with all the voltages still within spec like mine has, and a cheap motherboard means a constant risk of getting fried plus the inability to stick in faster RAM down the road, which kills upgrade ability. Like mine, I made the mistake to go too far towards budget chipset, and now I can't go over 1600mhz for ram freq just two years after purchase. Spending a bit more up front is cheaper if it means you don't need to replace that item getting only 50 or 60% of the lifetime use of the $15 more expensive option.

If you want cheap gaming, there's consoles. Why bother building something that's going to cost as much as a PS but probably look and run even worse? Just hook an xbone to your TV and be happy. PC rig building is basically just for avid PC gamers, and none of those are going to be happy with a $290 machine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

http://sishardware.com/imgs/a/a/z/k/j/logisys_480w_power_supply_2_lgw.jpg

Logisys is known for LEDs & case mods, their power supplys are junk. With only 16 amps on the 12v rail, I wouldn't even keep that brick as a back up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might want to put a decent power supply in that cart.

http://sishardware.com/imgs/a/a/z/k/j/logisys_480w_power_supply_2_lgw.jpg

Yeah,that's a horrid PSU. I am pretty sure I have more amps on ONE of my12v rails. If that thing doesn't fry your system, it'll be lucky to run stably in 2 years, hell run stable off the shelf. Also 480w is way overkill for this system. That's SLI over clocking wattage territory, thoug again with the crap quality and amps you'd never get a stable experience with it and that sort of setup.

There's more to PSUs than watts... That inability to understand... It doesn't inspire confidence in the rest of the list. That weak processor might run a low CPU usage game like Crysis well, but it'll chug and slideshow any CPU bound game like Arma, DayZ, Stalker, etc. whether it's appropriate really depends on what you want to do.

One thing I've learned is you absolutely cannot be overly specific when talking in general. There are certain common minimums, but one guy might be fine with a dual core(not sure who exactly) and a midrange vid card, while another would be far better served with a $250 processor and an "economy" vid card. Either way, I doubt a crummy dual core is ever appropriate in 2014, and I severely doubt a $290 rig will do anything but look like a PS3.

What's the point? Buy stuff to upgrade ASAP? Sounds like impulse buying and burning money when you resell that crap CPU for peanuts in six months to replace it with a proper i5/7, assuming the two are the same socket, which I'm guessing they aren't, so throw a new motherboard into that "simple upgrade" price also.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
The label even says 330watt... 480 must be the "peak" before you see the magic blue smoke.

I would really look at what games you want to play & at what resolution before recommending a random parts list.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you want cheap gaming, there's consoles. Why bother building something that's going to cost as much as a PS but probably look and run even worse? Just hook an xbone to your TV and be happy. PC rig building is basically just for avid PC gamers, and none of those are going to be happy with a $290 machine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats hardly a "gaming" PC, those are borderline WalMart desktop pc specs bro.

Could you make one for the same price and make it legit? I think not. Bruh..  
That's sort of the point. At this price point there aren't any "gaming PCs", unless your idea of a game is like Civ V with the lowest graphics settings and 5min waits between turns. Anyone who does actual gaming is going to want to drop at least double.  

Consoles aren't cheap gaming a 400 dollar console that may or may not break under warranty within a few years plus 60 dollar games, 40 dollar controllers, massive increase in your energy bills, paying monthly for their online portions, etc.

PC gaming is MUCH cheaper. Not to mention that you have to have a computer of some type in this day and age, most buy 600-1000 dollar laptops which is frankly insane in my mind considering a 600-1000 dollar pc can play any game on settings so high they aren't even available to console gamers.

This is a cheap way for people to get their foot in the door and gain some insight on building PC's. Obviously if they have more money to spend they should but for 290.00 on a PC that WILL play modern games lag free that is an amazing deal.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top