Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Undernet and freenode.  mIRC.

Friends on both and IRC is a great resource to get and to give technical help.  Every programmer and developer should be on it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was klined from many of a servers for my mIRC war scripts. Too bad for most of them I had a billion proxies and admin privileges. Aww, the good old days. With a decent google search I think you can still find those scripts. They went far and wide.  

ETA:

In our company chat room, after the VPN sent tits up, I got for posting "NETSPLIT!! Ride the wave".

Anybody in IT who doesn't laugh at that, needs to think about a different career. I'd be tempted to fire them.  

Sad thing is, I don't think a single one of them even knew what I was talking about. Granted they are mostly front line support folk, but damn.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#3]
IRC pretty much got me into IT.

Got me laid, too
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
IRC FTW!

That's how we found scrims back when I played competitive CS.

You too huh?

+1

Funny, i just played a little CS last night for the first time in ages. The old server I used to play on still had a few people on it... But nothing like the hay days.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#5]
It was my source for files before torrent
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

USENET

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Got me laid, too

Ditto.

From 7th Sphere to BitchX/irssi to getting it wet.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

USENET

It's still September.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#10]

I still scream at my monitor, every time I see this.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Still have a room that I've had since about 2000.  Couple of people all met in an online game, we've stayed friends through the years.  Watched one kid graduate highschool, go to college, do two years in the Airforce, get out and continue his life.   It's been a long time.    

Nice way to stay connected.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Run IRC and SILC over VPNs for private, secure chat.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#13]

WHAT THE FUCK
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not clicking on whatever that random link in the OP is, but as mentioned above, it is certainly no secret that mIRC is used.  A combo of low bandwidth requirements and simple interface makes it perfect.  Folks keep coming up with new ideas of chat programs, but everyone ends up defaulting back to mIRC.  War would suck without it.

Can't tell if you're serious, but mIRC is silly GUI trout-slapping nonsense, and it is an IRC client, not the protocol itself.  Just clarifying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IrcII - from the 1980s and still much preferred by many, many people.  Most would use an enhanced version like EPIC, BitchX or (personally and for nearly 20 years also) ScrollZ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irssi - newer console client not based on ircII.  Not really my cup of tea but arguably more useful / customizable.  Apparently you can also use it in Windows?

Strike-through applied above because, well, to each his own.  I hesitated even commenting, but could not get past "defaulting back to mIRC".

Have a great day.

Calm down bro. It's like using "kleenex" to refer to a tissue...

Anyway, irssi is my preferred client.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was k-lined from an efnet server for changing my in-addr.arpa address to jarjarbinks.artoo.net, soon after the movie came out.

Not shit, they straight up k-lined me for that.

It was probably Monkster or PrimeMonk that did it....... ;)

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Got me laid, too

LOL, samsies.  a/s/l???   Worked surprisingly well for its time.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#17]

You owe me a new brain. That clip broke mine...

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Awesome.

They should do a show on assault rifles next.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I still scream at my monitor, every time I see this.  

I'd never seen that one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
mIRC was a gateway drug for me in my teens.  It led to me discovering MUDs....text based mmorpg...god the amount of time wasted there..

This.  My buddies and I owned Aethar for a while.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

USENET

It's still September.  

HAY GYS WHAT CHAT ROOM IS TIS???

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
IRC FTW!

That's how we found scrims back when I played competitive CS.

Hahahahah yup
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Ahhhhh IRC....one of my favorites from Bash.org if anyone remembers that site....

<MortalKombat> stfu mat|t u cu.nt
* Acaila sets mode: +b MortalKombat!*@*
<@Acaila> FINISH HIM
<mat|t> rofl
<MortalKombat> omg wtf man
* MortalKombat was kicked by Acaila (forward, forward, back, back, forward, punch)
<@Acaila> FATALITY!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
IRC is legit. I mostly kick it on arfcom chat (already mentioned in the thread) and Furnet.

Whats your furnet nick?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Whats your furnet nick?

"Baker", "BakerMike", or "BakerMikeRomeo" - the same ones I use everywhere -- it's been a while since I logged in so I don't remember which I used last.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ahhhhh IRC....one of my favorites from Bash.org if anyone remembers that site....

<@Acaila> FINISH HIM

<mat|t> rofl

* MortalKombat was kicked by Acaila (forward, forward, back, back, forward, punch)

<@Acaila> FATALITY!

bash.org is awesome, even if most of the copy/pastes are probably bullshit.

<JonTG> Man, my penis is so big if I laid it out on a keyboard it'd go all the way from A to Z

<JonTG> wait, shit
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

<@Acaila> FINISH HIM
<mat|t> rofl
<@Acaila> FATALITY!

<JonTG> Man, my penis is so big if I laid it out on a keyboard it'd go all the way from A to Z
<JonTG> wait, shit

I had forgotten all about bash!

<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#28]
<JonJonB> Purely in the interests of science, I have replaced the word "wand" with "wang" in the first Harry Potter Book
<JonJonB> Let's see the results...

<JonJonB> "Why aren't you supposed to do magic?" asked Harry.
<JonJonB> "Oh, well -- I was at Hogwarts meself but I -- er -- got expelled, ter tell yeh the truth. In me third year. They snapped me wang in half an' everything

<JonJonB> A magic wang... this was what Harry had been really looking forward to.

<JonJonB> "Yes, yes. I thought I'd be seeing you soon. Harry Potter." It wasn't a question. "You have your mother's eyes. It seems only yesterday she was in here herself, buying her first wang. Ten and a quarter inches long, swishy, made of willow. Nice wang for charm work."
<JonJonB> "Your father, on the other hand, favored a mahogany wang. Eleven inches. "

<JonJonB> Harry took the wang. He felt a sudden warmth in his fingers. He raised the wang above his head, brought it swishing down through the dusty air and a stream of red and gold sparks shot from the end like a firework, throwing dancing spots of light on to the walls

<JonJonB> "Oh, move over," Hermione snarled. She grabbed Harry's wang, tapped the lock, and whispered, 'Alohomora!"

<JonJonB> The troll couldn't feel Harry hanging there, but even a troll will notice if you stick a long bit of wood up its nose, and Harry's wang had still been in his hand when he'd jumped - it had gone straight up one of the troll's nostrils.

<JonJonB> He bent down and pulled his wang out of the troll's nose. It was covered in what looked like lumpy gray glue.

<JonJonB> He ran onto the field as you fell, waved his wang, and you sort of slowed down before you hit the ground. Then he whirled his wang at the dementors. Shot silver stuff at them.

<JonJonB> Ok
<JonJonB> I have found, definitive proof
<JonJonB> that J.K Rowling is a dirty DIRTY woman, making a fool of us all
<JonJonB> "Yes," Harry said, gripping his wang very tightly, and moving into the middle of the deserted classroom. He tried to keep his mind on flying, but something else kept intruding.... Any second now, he might hear his mother again... but he shouldn't think that, or he would hear her again, and he didn't want to... or did he?
<melusine > O_______O
<JonJonB> Something silver-white, something enormous, erupted from the end of his wang

<JonJonJonB> Then, with a sigh, he raised his wang and prodded the silvery substance with its tip.

<JonJonJonB> 'Get - off - me!' Harry gasped. For a few seconds they struggled, Harry pulling at his uncles sausage-like fingers with his left hand, his right maintaining a firm grip on his raised wang.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I run 3 IRC servers on the furnet network

Furnet?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#30]
EFnet and Freenode
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Huh. I always meant to ask if you were that same Foxxz. In fact, I may have done. I can't remember shit.

Quoted:
Furnet?

It's an IRC network for furries. FurNet.org
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Furnet?

It's best if you didn't know. Trust me on this.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#33]
havent been there in 12+ years, what are the good servers and channels to join?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh. I always meant to ask if you were that same Foxxz. In fact, I may have done. I can't remember shit.

Quoted:
Furnet?

It's an IRC network for furries. FurNet.org

I am. I haven't been around the last few months due to moving and poor internet connection.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm cruising the top 100 now at Bash and laughing pretty hard.  Everyone in the office is wondering what's so funny and it's just hard to explain why I find something like this:

* ab is away - gone, if anyone talks in the next 25 minutes as me it's bm
 being an asshole -          
<ab> HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS

...is so hilarious.

Still just as funny as the first time

Quoted:

Quoted:

<@Acaila> FINISH HIM
<mat|t> rofl
<@Acaila> FATALITY!

<JonTG> wait, shit

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Remember this on mIRC?

N00b1: hey, how do I get ops?
me: hit alt+f4 anybody can have ops
<N00b1 has left the room>
<n00b2 hes left the room>
<noob3 has left the room>

To funny.  IRC was and still is a ton of fun.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#37]

WOW!  But hey, they got the screenshot!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I prefer a BBS on a 56k dial up running off a 386dx66 for the ultimate security.....

mirc is cool too, was a part of an old group there back in the day...apparently they are still around.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I prefer a BBS on a 56k dial up running off a 386dx66 for the ultimate security.....

http://www.defacto2.net/images/uuid/preview/d6998a66-a23d-4854-a6c4-2dd2dd5e38e3.png?0C25FA0B1E5DEA8DD37121A3939D4C44

mirc is cool too, was a part of an old group there back in the day...apparently they are still around.

I fucked Violet.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

<@Acaila> FINISH HIM
<mat|t> rofl
<@Acaila> FATALITY!

This was always my favorite.

#244321 +(34359)-

<Cthon98> hey, if you type in your pw, it will show as stars
<Cthon98> ********* see!
<AzureDiamond> hunter2
<AzureDiamond> doesnt look like stars to me
<Cthon98> <AzureDiamond> *******
<Cthon98> thats what I see
<AzureDiamond> oh, really?
<Cthon98> Absolutely
<AzureDiamond> you can go hunter2 my hunter2-ing hunter2
<AzureDiamond> haha, does that look funny to you?
<Cthon98> lol, yes. See, when YOU type hunter2, it shows to us as *******
<AzureDiamond> thats neat, I didnt know IRC did that
<Cthon98> yep, no matter how many times you type hunter2, it will show to us as *******
<AzureDiamond> awesome!
<AzureDiamond> wait, how do you know my pw?
<Cthon98> er, I just copy pasted YOUR ******'s and it appears to YOU as hunter2 cause its your pw
<AzureDiamond> oh, ok.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Furnet?

It's best if you didn't know. Trust me on this.  

I've already forgotten.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've already forgotten.

Forgotten what?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
http://www.defacto2.net/images/uuid/preview/d6998a66-a23d-4854-a6c4-2dd2dd5e38e3.png?0C25FA0B1E5DEA8DD37121A3939D4C44

I fucked Violet.  

and i'm out of this thread
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fucked Violet.  

You never played L.O.R.D?

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#45]
efnet, undernet, freenode, lots of privates, cybercrime research will take you to some funky places.

Welcome to IRC, where the women are men and the kids are cops.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I fucked Violet.  

You never played L.O.R.D?

legend of the red dragon..... ;-)
i miss some of the txt based stuff, it was like choose your own adventure books but better! haha...i'm out on opsec on this one

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
<JonJonB> Purely in the interests of science, I have replaced the word "wand" with "wang" in the first Harry Potter Book
<JonJonB> Let's see the results...

<JonJonB> "Why aren't you supposed to do magic?" asked Harry.
<JonJonB> "Oh, well -- I was at Hogwarts meself but I -- er -- got expelled, ter tell yeh the truth. In me third year. They snapped me wang in half an' everything

<JonJonB> A magic wang... this was what Harry had been really looking forward to.

<JonJonB> "Yes, yes. I thought I'd be seeing you soon. Harry Potter." It wasn't a question. "You have your mother's eyes. It seems only yesterday she was in here herself, buying her first wang. Ten and a quarter inches long, swishy, made of willow. Nice wang for charm work."
<JonJonB> "Your father, on the other hand, favored a mahogany wang. Eleven inches. "

<JonJonB> Harry took the wang. He felt a sudden warmth in his fingers. He raised the wang above his head, brought it swishing down through the dusty air and a stream of red and gold sparks shot from the end like a firework, throwing dancing spots of light on to the walls

<JonJonB> "Oh, move over," Hermione snarled. She grabbed Harry's wang, tapped the lock, and whispered, 'Alohomora!"

<JonJonB> The troll couldn't feel Harry hanging there, but even a troll will notice if you stick a long bit of wood up its nose, and Harry's wang had still been in his hand when he'd jumped - it had gone straight up one of the troll's nostrils.

<JonJonB> He bent down and pulled his wang out of the troll's nose. It was covered in what looked like lumpy gray glue.

<JonJonB> He ran onto the field as you fell, waved his wang, and you sort of slowed down before you hit the ground. Then he whirled his wang at the dementors. Shot silver stuff at them.

<JonJonB> Ok
<JonJonB> I have found, definitive proof
<JonJonB> that J.K Rowling is a dirty DIRTY woman, making a fool of us all
<JonJonB> "Yes," Harry said, gripping his wang very tightly, and moving into the middle of the deserted classroom. He tried to keep his mind on flying, but something else kept intruding.... Any second now, he might hear his mother again... but he shouldn't think that, or he would hear her again, and he didn't want to... or did he?
<melusine > O_______O
<JonJonB> Something silver-white, something enormous, erupted from the end of his wang

<JonJonJonB> Then, with a sigh, he raised his wang and prodded the silvery substance with its tip.

<JonJonJonB> 'Get - off - me!' Harry gasped. For a few seconds they struggled, Harry pulling at his uncles sausage-like fingers with his left hand, his right maintaining a firm grip on his raised wang.

I have no clue what IRC is    But that me LOL fucking hard
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I always throw a few superfluous Internal Revenue Code references into NFA gun trusts, just to make them more tactical.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#49]
7th Sphere and EFNet back in the day when port 139 was still vulnerable.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I fucked Violet.  

So did everyone else.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top