View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#2]
circa 2003 there was one in Lake George NY

I ate there with my parents while on vacation that summer, pretty tasty food
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Growing up, we used to go with my dad to a trade show every summer in Hot Springs AR. Stayed at HoJo on the way into town.

Eating at the motel for breakfast and lunch with my mom, swimming all day while dad worked, and going into town for a fancy supper every night.

Good times, great memories.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When dad took the family to Florida for spring break we always stayed at a Ho Jo in Tampa.

Edit - location was South Dale Mabry Highway, looks like the place is still there 
View Quote
My uncle Don was stationed at Dale Mabry during  WWII.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember them fondly when my parents used to take us on road trip vacations around the country.  They were positioned on highway overpasses, with parking lots on either side for either traffic side.  Early morning breakfast, pancakes, eggs, bacon.  Many a family breakfast is remembered in those booths/tables.  Thanks for sharing OP.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
That is so coincidental to see this post because I was just researching about Howard Johnson's history last night on Wikipedia!

I only ate there once when traveling with my best friend's family to Virginia in 1980. I remember my friend's dad said there appeared to be a pubic hair in his clam strips. He just shrugged, picked it out and enjoyed his meal. I did not eat out much as a kid and thought it was pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#7]
In the '70's there was one about 5 minutes from where we lived. Fish fry and clam strips FTMFW!

We also usd to bicycle over for milkshakes and ice cream
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Delta Airlines was cheap on the flight crews arriving at ATL.

1961 Terminal Delta crew sched.

"Anybody call HoJo??? The van is here!!"
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#9]
in the 70's in Brattleboro Vermont I was a bouncer in the "night club" at the HoJo.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#10]
there was one here in Dallas in 84 when I moved here on I35 think it was torn down 2 or 3 years ago
after years of Pakistani name changes and hookers found dead in the rooms
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep, we ate there a lot when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My first job as a teenager was washing dishes and cooking at a HoJos  Restaurant. It was one of the best experiences in my life as far as learning how to work and get along with other people in  the workplace.
View Quote
Brutha..... me too.  I made so many of those damn clams that I couldn't eat them for decades afterwards, though I'll occasionally get them now.

Great slogan.... "Howard Johnson's.... whore of the highways."
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The area which I grew up in was filthy with Howard Johnson's.

Stucky's too. 
View Quote
We had one of those within sight of the HO-JO.

Ummm....Pecan Logs.

I lived in the neighborhood in the far right (rear) of the pic. That's Signal Knob in the background. Both Yankees and Confederates ran signal stations there depending on who controlled that part of the Shenandoah Valley.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I remember working there when I was a kid. 15 hours a week washing dishes when I was 14.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes.  The corn dodgers and peppermint stick ice cream hot fudge sundaes.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I only know of them from my Dad explaining the howard johnson joke in blazing saddles:
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top