BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm from the Gulf Coast and have no idea what kind of magical river you guys drive on.

View Quote
Eh?

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It doesn't even get cold enough to walk on any body of water around here...much less drive shit on it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:55:51 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm from the Gulf Coast and have no idea what kind of magical river you guys drive on.

Eh?

http://www.snowmobiletrails.com/water_skipping/images/water_cross_grantsburg.jpg

You realize that right now, some half tanked Arfcommer in Texas or La. is looking at that pic and is totally cornfused right?

"Damn!!! I Gotsta get me one of them new Jet skis!!"
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You realize that right now, some half tanked Arfcommer in Texas or La. is looking at that pic and is totally cornfused right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh?

http://www.snowmobiletrails.com/water_skipping/images/water_cross_grantsburg.jpg

Probably, Arfcom dividing by zero and all. I needs a Snowmachine, there's so many potential uses that it's impractical not to get one

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Indeed, I've never witness that and it'd scare the hell out of me

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was on a dive rescue team for 15 years. I've pulled out a couple of dead bodies and have been on a few recovery calls with people that have went through the ice in and out of vehicles. No thanks. Diving under the ice for training was pretty cool though.
Very few people have been recovered around here when they go under the ice do to the current.

You learn where to go and what to watch out for.

If you see the ice doing a wave in front of you slow down.

Driving over the wave is what breaks the ice.

Fuck That.

Indeed, I've never witness that and it'd scare the hell out of me

It is cool to see and freaks the heck out of people that have not seen it before.

Also being out among the ice berg's in a boat is fun when looking for logs.

Fuel used to get delivered by semi truck with tankers.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Not me I am to much of a wimp, heard to many stories as a young guy of guys driving there cars out on Lake Erie and having the ice give way.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We have some here in the deep lakes.  They stay between 15 to 40 feet deep.  Thread from this past March

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j33/C-4C/DSCN1714.jpg

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
we drive the rivers here all the time. We are a bit north of you ( I think ) and have more constant cold temps. snowmachines are no problem. There are even a few ice bridges for vehicles later in the year. We have only have a few -40 or so days this year with the crazy weather. The ice is only at about 14'' down where we burbot fish on the chena near the tanana. LAst year this time is was well over 2ft.

Burbot fish on the chena near the tanana? Are you having a stroke?

no? There are a shit load of burbot in the tanana and lots move into the end of the chena in the winter and rest from the faster moving water. We go quite well on them there too.

We have some here in the deep lakes.  They stay between 15 to 40 feet deep.  Thread from this past March

Ugly fucking fish, but I hear they're delicious.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I live on a pretty big lake in Northern WI, but I hate like hell to have to head out on the ice. I've gone through twice in my life;

Once when I was 12, walking near a pressure crack. Thankfully, the water was only 3 feet deep, so my friend was able to help me crawl out.

When I was 19, some dip-shit decided to take an augur and make a roughly 4ft diameter hole, then cover it with snow in an attempt to fuck with snowmobiler's that would sled passed his ice-shack. I went through, and dropped like a rock in 12 feet of water. I lost a decent pair of boots, and a new jacket getting to the surface. My Dad and Uncle threw me on a 4-wheeler and they took me to a neighbor's house and dropped my ass in the spa.

I don't like the ice much anymore.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I stay off rivers, shit can happen yo.

Lakes I have no problem with as long as I'm not the test dummy.
View Quote

I lived in northern Canada on my own personal island for some years, and I feel the opposite way.

in my experience lake ice is subject to problems like changing levels and cracking which can give a multi leveled surface with pockets of water between. small rivers, on the other hand, don't have this problem as much, unless they have bigger drops, which usually stay open.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Lake, sure.

St Mary's River?  NO, not even on foot.  Everyone knows or is related to someone who died when they went through.

Pressure cracks sound cool.

Watching early or late season thin lake ice bend under your weight and sliding your boots across so you don't put all your weight on one foot?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
we drive the rivers here all the time. We are a bit north of you ( I think ) and have more constant cold temps. snowmachines are no problem. There are even a few ice bridges for vehicles later in the year. We have only have a few -40 or so days this year with the crazy weather. The ice is only at about 14'' down where we burbot fish on the chena near the tanana. LAst year this time is was well over 2ft.

Burbot fish on the chena near the tanana? Are you having a stroke?

no? There are a shit load of burbot in the tanana and lots move into the end of the chena in the winter and rest from the faster moving water. We go quite well on them there too.

They are.  I'd say the flesh is like a cross between cod and catfish.  They're actually the only freshwater fish in the cod family.  I make a cusk and clam chowder with them but they're also very good fried.  It's a lot of work to catch them though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They are.  I'd say the flesh is like a cross between cod and catfish.  They're actually the only freshwater fish in the cod family.  I make a cusk and clam chowder with them but they're also very good fried.  It's a lot of work to catch them though.
View Quote

Interesting. Sounds like something I'd eat.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't even fucking walk on the ice.  I've got a healthy respect for what cold water does.
View Quote

Damn, you're missing out.  I've always wanted to go to WI and spear sturgeon through the ice on Lake Winnebago.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They live on the bottom but feed almost exclusively on other fish and crayfish/crawfish.  In fact, the one I posted was the longest one I've ever caught (28 1/2") and it had eaten a small cusk that had gotten on the line first.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Back in the '70s,upper  Chesapeake  Bay froze hard enough fools were driving on it.
Hmmm, salt water, STRONG tidal currents, what could go wrong?

Some even drove out, chainsawed  holes in the ice, and tonged oysters on the bars.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It doesn't even get cold enough to walk on any body of water around here...much less drive shit on it.
View Quote

This. I've ever only seen ice in a major(or minor, for that matter) river here once in my life. And never completely frozen over. In fact this last weekend we had some of the coldest temps I've ever seen, got down to the single digits in the immediate vicinity for one night - and spending 5 days with highs below freezing was a big event for us.

Now I've seen plenty of cold weather(-20) when I was driving a semi, drove through some crazy weather(they called it a blizzard, but I was kinda on the tail end of it so I didn't see much but a lot of snow on the ground and some moderate snowfall), but being from an area with typically very mild winter weather I just can't fathom driving on ice. Oh sure, everyone has watched a few episodes of Ice Truckers... And as long as you don't think too much about what is under them, it reminds me a lot of driving on snow covered icy roads. But I just don't like the idea of driving over large bodies of water without having asphalt and steel underneath my wheels!

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh good lord, Eel pouts. Nasty things, I throw those bitches back don the hole HARD.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Northern Michigan in Mullett and Burt Lakes usually claim a few snowmobiles and a pickup truck now and again.

I go out with my snowmobile but after I see it's been well used.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Oh good lord, Eel pouts. Nasty things, I throw those bitches back don the hole HARD.
View Quote

Ah, someone who's never tried one!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What could possibly go wrong!
View Quote

Oh, I don't know

ETA; I thought we were talking about bridges over frozen rivers.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They live on the bottom but feed almost exclusively on other fish and crayfish/crawfish.  In fact, the one I posted was the longest one I've ever caught (28 1/2") and it had eaten a small cusk that had gotten on the line first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have them here too! They call them burbot or ling but they are cusk . I cant wait to do some fishing!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What could possibly go wrong!

Oh, I don't know

http://stage.origin.chillertv.com/_cache/assets/assets/silverbridge7a_133002119309.jpg

Nah, that was the work of the Mothman.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Tomorrow i will take pics of what it currently looks like in front of town.

With the high water this past fall all the lakes,ponds,rivers and stream froze high so there will be hollow places after the water levels go down.

They can be pretty dangerous also.

Same with pressure ridges along the beaches.

I have gone across little streams that sounded hollow than they fell after i was over.

Have seen some that dropped over 10ft.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top